• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
bBwzHur.jpg

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is finally starting to take shape. We've seen the game in action before in the previous old in-game footage showcase, but the latest developer livestream was our first proper look at the game. There are so much information surrounding the game from the development team, so I'll try to post everything in here. Note that everything posted here is mostly taken from the Unofficial - Everything we know about the Game! thread in Ubisoft forums, so all credits are due to everyone involved in compiling the information.

Title: Beyond Good & Evil 2
Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier & others
Engine: Voyager Engine
Publisher: Ubisoft
Release Date: TBA
Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC (not final)

Key Features
  • This space RPG game will incorporating the main pillars/elements of BGE1 such as, 3rd person perspective, friends, combat, vehicles, exploration(first-person view for photos), stealth (also other elements we see in games like Witcher3 such as dialogues, quests, collectibles, and leveling) and on top of that the Co-OP option.
  • You will be able to create your own character which can be human or hybrid and that comes with negative and positive effects for each species. Also, side characters should be playable too.
  • You start as lowlife guy with a space tuk-tuk. You evolve yourself over time with your crew and your ship. That is why an XP system is in place. We heard stuff along the lines of delivering pizza as an option to grow.
  • Minor characters are randomly generated and therefore unique to everyone.
  • There will be multiple solutions for a quest to solve it.
  • Actions may have consequences (like disturbing supply lanes for a city).
  • The game is an open-world title.
  • There's a police system, "GTA in space"
  • Ability to go from character scale out into space without loading screens, possibly within seconds, and then traveling between worlds. It's compared to No Man's Sky but emphasized that they want to focus more on few, specifically designed worlds, while still allowing some parts to be intelligently generated like in Dwarf Fortress.
  • Grappling gauntlet and jetpack are methods to move vertically as shown in the trailer.
  • Minigames, like card games.
  • It is an online singleplayer game with seamless multiplayer feature. Play solo or with friends.

Game Setting
  • The game takes place before BGE1 (prequel)
  • Gametime is in the 24th century where India and China have become the global superpowers in the 22nd century. They working on creating human-animal hybrids for interstellar colonization. However, those hybrids are treated as slaves and are probably the lowest class in this society.
  • The location of the game will take place is System3. System 3 is rich in resources and worlds in the habitable zone, a place full of spacefaring commerce. Also, System4 is involved in the game to explain some history.
  • Fled hybrid slaves work for their own freedom which causes a growing space piracy.
  • Even under hybrids there are classes. Domesticated are seen as lesser.
  • There will be different species under hybrids, therefore, we will see multiple cultures and languages.
  • The story focus is about hybrids which are fighting for their freedom, to get accepted as equal.
  • The story should feature important characters which drive the story(Ancel mentioned, a similar way Zelda does). Characters from the first BGE1 should be somehow involved.
  • It remains to be seen how the game goes with "story across generations".

Spaceships and Vehicles
  • Seems like we start with lowend space tuk-tuk^^
  • You will be able to fly around in your spaceship keep your small spaceship at the time you are getting a bigger one. It will be parked in the bigger one.
  • Bigger spaceships can be considered home or garage of the player, customizable with e.g. trophies (Who doesn't like a moving base?)
  • We have seen spins, loopings and even drift as possible maneuvers.
  • Vehicles each have 5 velocity settings, e.g. ranging from 10 to 120 km/h for the jetpack. The acceleration between these is dependent on the "character attributes" of the vehicle. Overall speeds may range from 4 to 1 million km/h. (This has only been observed so far.)
  • Going into atmospheres too fast may cause you to burn up
  • There will be dogfights coming.
  • We will get racing again. yay
  • Ships can be shut down so the player has to escape the ship before it crashes.
  • Ships have the ability to follow another if you want that (fly in a formation).
  • You can enter enemy ships.
  • Modular ships so you can change appearance and traits.
  • There will be Mammago "Stations" for your ships.

Fear of empty planets?
  • Ancel asured us he wants the planets to be alive.
  • There will even be submarine exploration.
  • Also there should be active trading between cities(including people/slaves to some extend).
  • Ancel mentioned that all the cities or other places of interest/quest relevance are designed from the ground up, not procedurally generated.
  • Ancel actually referenced Dwarf Fortress as an inspiration (for generation of places). Ancel also said: "We have some techniques that allow us to populate the planet in a logical way," In fact, they have full control over the generation of the worlds.
  • They use generation and hand-made content. It would almost be impossible for the devs to fully make all those structures themselfs or very time-consuming at the targeted scale.

Global Scale Effects
  • "Exploration will span the galaxy, as the developers want players to zip across planets from city to city and fly from planet to planet."
  • Important to know here is that the game takes place in one Solar-System, not the galaxy.
  • Space debris falling on the surface causes effects(Population will be on the safe side of planets).
  • The surface will be affected by those and therefore seem to be modifying it in real time.
  • Since the game runs a whole simulated Solar-System, day and night cycle are a natural cause of this.

Having a Crew
  • We know you will be able to have a crew with the mediumship.
  • Those people may join you or not based on your actions.
  • Also those people may leave you due to some actions you may perform in the future.
  • The Crew will improve your ship statistics(depending on their skills). Find a good combination.
  • Ancel mentioned it would be way more realistic to win crewmembers with for example a card game.

Combat
  • Melee combat does have dodge with Jetpack, a drop-down attack and normal hits it seems.
  • Some enemies are able to block incoming attacks while other may have healing abilities.
  • Combat can be outside and inside ships.
  • The Jetpack adds a layer of complexity.
  • Combat can happen anywhere. As mentioned by Ancel on the clip of the second SpaceMonkeyReport
  • They want to keep the same DNA which probably hints to the classic BGE1 one-button combat or rather close to it.
  • Use of guns were shown with augmentations "perks" which for example slow enemies or put them into full stasis temporarily.

Important Characters
  • KNOX Hybrid monkey who is always looking for trouble
  • ZHOU YUZHU Hybrid pig, pretentious collector and ruthless crime boss
  • LI DAIYU Rejuvenated madam who runs Zhou's backrooms
  • SHANI Badass biker and ingenious mechanic of Somalian ancestry
  • DAKINI The very mysterious Captain of the Gada...
  • PEY'J The cook of the Gada and famous for his Space-Chili
  • CALLUM Ship mechanic of the Gada
  • GADA AI You know. This is a smart speaking ship. It is like Kitt in Space I guess
  • UMA Chief Medic of the Gada
  • HSING-HSING It is a Panda with tea
  • KIM HYUN-JUN A Tiger who survives with participating in daily blood sports
  • JADE Standing against the crew of the Gada on the side of Alpha-Sections
  • ALPHA SECTIONS They are back! With some really beefed up armor it seems

Media

More here

Get The Latest Space Monkey News:

There are so much more information in the original thread, check it out if you're interested. I'll add more information here when I find one, gradually.

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Great summary texhnolyze ! That latest gameplay reveal really made it appear that their crazy vision might be possible.

Given what they've achieved in 2 years, I wonder when we can expect the release. 2020 maybe?

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you so much for the great recap thread.

Totally one of the most anticipated games, sadly it seems still 3 years away.

I can see it as 2021 cross gen game.

The first game was something REALLY special, and I can sense this one will break the boundaries to even greater more special unique experience.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Why a prequel, though? Maybe it's me, but I never liked prequels. Not in books, movies or in games.

It makes it sound less advanced.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Great recap. A lot of stuff.

This really really makes me wanna buy that PS5 when it comes out as a cross-gen launch game :)

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I noticed in the OP it says it's an offline game with seamless multiplayer but in one of the official game videos I watched it said it was an online game.
Is it always online or can I turn it off and play like a regular single player game,I'm a bit confused.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sounds like a cross-gen game. Fine by me.
Great recap. A lot of stuff.

This really really makes me wanna buy that PS5 when it comes out as a cross-gen launch game :)
Considering the massive scale of this game, I actually think that it'll be great if it's a next gen title only. But that's definitely not reasonable.

I noticed in the OP it says it's an offline game with seamless multiplayer but in one of the official game videos I watched it said it was an online game.
Is it always online or can I turn it off and play like a regular single player game,I'm a bit confused.
That thread has 2 versions in the Ubi forums. The pinned one is locked and have this bolded information, the open for discussion one doesn't.
OMG BGE2 is online(ONLY)?
First of all, Beyond Good & Evil 2 is a singelplayer game. Many get confused by the seamless multiplayer feature. I'll try to get more concrete information about this.
Ancel finally closed this up for all time. He said offline is totally a thing he doesn't want to set a barrier and the online feature is a extra for anyone. Having hard times? Give a friend the coordinates while he is joined in the game and meet up at the point.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Why a prequel, though? Maybe it's me, but I never liked prequels. Not in books, movies or in games.

It makes it sound less advanced.
Ancel hasn't explained why outside of smirks so he definitely has something bizzare planned.

The fact we have a domz sided Jade is telling enough that he is trying to confuse us with the info he is releasing.

Also naming a character Shani which is pronounced very similar to Shauni which is Jades real name...

Man's going full Kojima on us.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
While originally I was annoyed by this not being a sequel, clearly the original sequel idea would have focused much on delving deeper into DomZ stranglehold on the galaxy and likely how Jade's past ties into that, they can do that just as well with a prequel so I don't think the basic gist of it all needs to be much different.

While I would have loved to have continued in awesome rebel journalist chosen one Jade's shoes, evil Jade in the E3 trailer intrigues me as well.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, had to sub. This thread is great, man. I'm super excited for this game as its exactly the kind of the sci-fi I love

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
They're going to great length to dish out info relatively early in development, since E3 2017 at least, but I'm getting the impression that there's comparatively little general interest in this. At least in relation to how they're going for what seems to be a considerable "AAA" scope.

But I'm looking very much forward to the game. If they can pull of the interplanetary open world / coop game and have a beefy story, it may be glorious.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Should've made this a new franchise.

Lol why? This is the game Ancel wanted to make, so you would've never gotten BGE2.

Ancel hasn't explained why outside of smirks so he definitely has something bizzare planned.

The fact we have a domz sided Jade is telling enough that he is trying to confuse us with the info he is releasing.

Also naming a character Shani which is pronounced very similar to Shauni which is Jades real name...

Man's going full Kojima on us.

Expect some time shenanigans.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
That thread has 2 versions in the Ubi forums. The pinned one is locked and have this bolded information, the open for discussion one doesn't.
OMG BGE2 is online(ONLY)?
First of all, Beyond Good & Evil 2 is a singelplayer game. Many get confused by the seamless multiplayer feature. I'll try to get more concrete information about this.
Ancel finally closed this up for all time. He said offline is totally a thing he doesn't want to set a barrier and the online feature is a extra for anyone. Having hard times? Give a friend the coordinates while he is joined in the game and meet up at the point.

My mind can't comprehend this :D I personally don't want an online, multiplayer game. And the above quote says: "you can totally play offline, single player", but if you go online you need to give a friend coordinates to find you in the world?

Why would you need to give the coordinates to let a friend join your game. You would need to give coordinates, if the game is actually an online persistent world, running on a server somewhere, right?

The latest pre-alpha gameplay video show a drop-in mechanic so the above quote is probably outdated. Sometimes I think they were going for an MMO, then downscaled it, because it wouldnt work.

I really loved the first game, and I was jumping up and down in 2008 Ubisoft E3 conference and then in 2017, but the excitement was killed as soon as I heard the word "online". Ugh. Then I just remembered: Oh, wait, Ubisoft, 100 editions at launch, stupid microtransactions (at least no lootboxes) ....

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Should've made this a new franchise.
Lets keep comments like this out of this thread. It dosnt need to be repeated in every single BYGE2 thread.

And I had not known that the entire game will take place inside just a single solar system. Believe it or not that changes my perspective a little. Focusing on just one solar system is pretty good. You can still detail the hell outta that.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
My mind can't comprehend this :D I personally don't want an online, multiplayer game. And the above quote says: "you can totally play offline, single player", but if you go online you need to give a friend coordinates to find you in the world?

Why would you need to give the coordinates to let a friend join your game. You would need to give coordinates, if the game is actually an online persistent world, running on a server somewhere, right?

The latest pre-alpha gameplay video show a drop-in mechanic so the above quote is probably outdated. Sometimes I think they were going for an MMO, then downscaled it, because it wouldnt work.

I really loved the first game, and I was jumping up and down in 2008 Ubisoft E3 conference and then in 2017, but the excitement was killed as soon as I heard the word "online". Ugh. Then I just remembered: Oh, wait, Ubisoft, 100 editions at launch, stupid microtransactions (at least no lootboxes) ....
Yeah, that's what I've heard too. Maybe they were going for some shared world with trading and currency like in an MMO, but not with as much player number as an actual MMO. But seems like it's quite an impossible task for them so they tuned it down to single player with co-op only, which was a good decision I guess.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not feeling any of this pre-alpha footage at all, I don't really get a sense of anything that I loved about the original game, and "wow so big" doesn't really do it for me. But pre-alpha is pre-alpha, I'll certainly give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Lol why? This is the game Ancel wanted to make, so you would've never gotten BGE2.

Yeah it's not like this was even a secret. I read about Ancel's vision for BGE 10 years ago. He specifically mentioned he wanted to make a game where you could visit different planets. I even heard a rumour that the game just never happened last gen because it wasn't feasible on the hardware.

People complain it's not BGE and was one of them when it was announced but honestly thinking about it. I totally see it. The original was a Zelda clone. All it really needs to be like the first game is have dungeons because it already has the overworld. Which is now open world.
I will say I'm sad to see the focus on photography gone. That was such a cool idea in the original game.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not feeling any of this pre-alpha footage at all, I don't really get a sense of anything that I loved about the original game, and "wow so big" doesn't really do it for me. But pre-alpha is pre-alpha, I'll certainly give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

You might not like it regardless, but I'll say this. Left Alive looked kinda weak to me until the recent trailer. Once they're putting that extra coat of polish you might be surprised.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's not like this was even a secret. I read about Ancel's vision for BGE 10 years ago. He specifically mentioned he wanted to make a game where you could visit different planets. I even heard a rumour that the game just never happened last gen because it wasn't feasible on the hardware.

People complain it's not BGE and was one of them when it was announced but honestly thinking about it. I totally see it. The original was a Zelda clone. All it really needs to be like the first game is have dungeons because it already has the overworld. Which is now open world.
I will say I'm sad to see the focus on photography gone. That was such a cool idea in the original game.
I don't think it was a rumour. I think I remember Ancel himself mentioning about how the PS360 generation wasn't powerful enough to support its development. This was in context of talking about explorable big cities and how they could replicate one of the concept trailers where an escaping Jade runs through random houses/apartments and shit. IIRC it was about how they were exploring tools that could somewhat randomly/procedurally generate those indoors locations in a big city and stuff like that and how the PS360 generation probably wouldn't be powerful enough to support tech like that. And yeah, interplanetary stuff was also talked about some years prior to announcement, I think.

Oct 27, 2017
The budget for this seems stupidly high for a sequel to a game that underperformed, hahahahaha.

Not that I'm complaining, but I surely wasnt expecting a sequel to be made at all, let alone one this big.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I think it'll be good and unique. My only concern is that it feels more Assassin's Creed than Beyond Good and Evil...and I really hope it gets a meaty storyline and isn't just a sandbox.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The budget for this seems stupidly high for a sequel to a game that underperformed, hahahahaha.

Not that I'm complaining, but I surely wasnt expecting a sequel to be made at all, let alone one this big.
And I couldnt be more happier. For years we've been asking that one question to ubisoft.

"Where is BYGE 2?"

Im drinking it up.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Wow, this looks like its gonna be amazing. was the first game anything like this? now i wanna play it

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
while im still a bit cold as this isnt the sequel ive waited so long for, theres so much cool stuff about this game that i cant help but be interested. i also didnt realize that its an offline single player game with optional multiplayer, i thought it was always online. thats great news and gets me more excited

Oct 31, 2017
The more I see and read about this game, the more I wonder if shares anything aside from the title with the first one.

And even judged as its own thing, I can't really say I'm impressed with what I've seen up to this point.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The more I see and read about this game, the more I wonder if shares anything aside from the title with the first one.

And even judged as its own thing, I can't really say I'm impressed with what I've seen up to this point.
It uses hybrid animals like the first one. The main antagonistic aliens is still the villains of the story. You still have the main protagonist of the first, albeit role switch.

Space was always an underlying factor in the overall over-arching story of the first game. I don't see how anything has changed except for scope. Everything that was done and seen in the first game can all be done on a single planet, within a single city underworld in the sequel. Racing, Fishing, flying, boating, scavenging, adventuring and maybe even photo taking. The Dom can eventually show up and enslave one of the worlds of the solar system that you are engaging in. I see no difference here actually.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

For the kind of game Ancel has envisioned, they kind of have to go big or not do it at all. Plus I think they spent a large amount of time with a fairly small team figuring out some tech/engine related stuff that helps them create a large amount of varied content partly procedurally to avoid having to have a team of a thousand+ people developing the game for 6 years.

Oct 31, 2017
It uses hybrid animals like the first one. The main antagonistic aliens is still the villains of the story. You still have the main protagonist of the first, albeit role switch.

Space was always an underlying factor in the overall over-arching story of the first game. I don't see how anything has changed except for scope. Everything that was done and seen in the first game can all be done on a single planet, within a single city underworld in the sequel. Racing, Fishing, flying, boating, scavenging, adventuring and maybe even photo taking. The Dom can eventually show up and enslave one of the worlds of the solar system that you are engaging in. I see no difference here actually.
Yeah, but I was talking mechanically.
I genuinely don't give a shit about the "It's the same setting" rebuttal. The setting was just window dressing for me anyway, and not what i loved the original for.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but I was talking mechanically.
I genuinely don't give a shit about the "It's the same setting" rebuttal. The setting was just window dressing for me anyway, and not what i loved the original for.

What did you love it for? Was it the pretty generic sequential moving-through-corridors flow? Was it the very limited free roaming sections in a handful of isolated locations at different scales (vehicle/on foot)? Was it the combat in particular (admittedly, I hardly remember it standing out in any way)? Feel free to correct me, but when I played the HD make on PS3, it didn't seem special at all to. me. Or was it the charming story and characters?

The latter has more to do with the setrings' traits that seem part of the second game as well. Only the world building and everything around seems to be considerably more ambitious this time round.

Oct 31, 2017
What did you love it for? Was it the pretty generic sequential moving-through-corridors flow? Was it the very limited free roaming sections in a handful of isolated locations at different scales (vehicle/on foot)? Was it the combat in particular (admittedly, I hardly remember it standing out in any way)? Feel free to correct me, but when I played the HD make on PS3, it didn't seem special at all to. me.
I don't care about your try-hard attempt to be dismissive.
Yes, I liked it for all these things (and the photo-safari side activity).

More than anything I liked it for feeling like an action adventure with just the right amount of focus and variety and hardly any "bloat" in it.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what Ancel did the past 15 years but at least this seems to have a soul like Valiant Hearts. Not the ubi factory shite a lot of people seem to enjoy.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that it's primarily an offline single player game is music to my ears. I still have reservations on the game (mostly typical Ubi game concerns) but I was afraid it was some kind of destiny-like shared world game. Now I'll likely end up playing it.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Great job texhnolyze

Seeing that it's primarily an offline single player game is music to my ears. I still have reservations on the game (mostly typical Ubi game concerns) but I was afraid it was some kind of destiny-like shared world game. Now I'll likely end up playing it.
Yeah, this is great news to me.

Thank you so much for the great recap thread.

Totally one of the most anticipated games, sadly it seems still 3 years away.

I can see it as 2021 cross gen game.

The first game was something REALLY special, and I can sense this one will break the boundaries to even greater more special unique experience.
Yeah.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about your try-hard attempt to be dismissive.
Yes, I liked it for all these things (and the photo-safari side activity).

More than anything I liked it for feeling like an action adventure with just the right amount of focus and variety and hardly any "bloat" in it.

I hope you see the irony in you doing the same thing:

It was explained to you how the prequel is a logical step from the first game. Same universe, same ambition, only this time with the technical and seemingly financial grunt to go for the scope the creators want. We can still be dismissive and judgemental once the thing releases in a finished and polished state and turns out to lack everything that made the first a good game.