• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The "biggest open world ever" is about the least appealing thing you could say about a game. Kinda puts the brakes on my excitement.

The thing is, it actually does try its hardest to put an emphasis on rewarding exploration, as well as not being limited in its design, you have small interiors, cities, and just raw areas. Ability to walk, fly, tons of vehicles, custumozation of both characters and ships, etc.. You know the exact opposite of their recent abortion : Starlink. So we'll see. I was terrified but the demo kind of seems cool. We'll see.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Do people, devs and publisher still think bigger is better? I don't and will probably not finish such game, maybe even skip. I don't even see myself finishing AC Odyssey. Massive amount of content, with only mediocre staging and little substance to it.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"is potentially the biggest open world game ever"

But it's not? While No Man's Sky exists we know it's not. Regardless of what you think of that game. Why post this?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
If done right it could be good, even if many places will be empty... just for the sense of scale. I hope this won't affect the general quality.
That said, it looks like a completely different game from the first, I don't get why keeping the same name... but also it's too early maybe to say that.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Not to sound too negative, but this sounds less and less like the sequel I wanted. Nevertheless, the scale is quite impressive.
this. i mean, theres aspects that seem promising. but open solar system/galaxy or whatever in a shared universe coop game is... not the sequel ive been waiting all these years for. but i suppose its what i should have expected in todays market
It's an ubisoft game. Their only mission statement is to make a bigger world each time and stuff it with more bloat and pointless things to do.
also this, so yeah. hoping for the best

Oct 26, 2017
They said today during the demonstration that everything you see is explorable geometry. They even demonstrated this by hopping on and off vehicles and briefly walking around. Ubisoft is honestly one of the few pubs who has the manpower to make a game like this feasible.

I don't think ubi manpower has anything to do with making this game more possible. The amount of real, hand-crafted content this game will have will be surely similar to other current games. The difference is that it will be spread out over a very large area (planets in a solar system) done with procedural systems.

Think for a moment of a game like AC Odysseys, so two dozen islands with content that translates to 60-70 hours of game, but now said 'islands of content' will be put in NMS type of planets.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
A "bigger open world" hasn't sounded attractive since games of last gen when worlds were sometimes transversable in a couple minutes. There just wasn't space for the world to feel big and alive. Now there just seems to be the continued focus on that bullet point...when I'm not even sure the market at large seems to care?

That said, I hope they manage to make this really good.

Not that I expect them to. It's....* sigh * ubisoft.

The biggest amusement parks are the ones with the longest walks between attractions

Yup

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I had lots of hopes for this game aaaaand.... it's gone. That trailer was a huge turn-off for me. I may very well be wrong and it still could be amazing, but so far, I'm not impressed.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
As many others have said 'biggest' is not a selling point for me anymore,I'm over it.Design your game well and make it interesting to play and I don't care how big it is.

This looks hugely ambitious and if it was anyone else I might have written it off by now but Ancel might be crazy enough to pull it off.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This gen, even moreso than the last one, is clearly the MASSIVE OPEN WORLD gen. Sweet Jebus.
It'll only get worse next gen.

A "bigger open world" hasn't sounded attractive since games of last gen when worlds were sometimes transversable in a couple minutes. There just wasn't space for the world to feel big and alive. Now there just seems to be the continued focus on that bullet point...when I'm not even sure the market at large seems to care?
I mean, these AAA devs are big companies that only make business decisions based on intensive research and data.

They keep making these because there's a market. As we can see from this thread, Era is certainly not their target audience, and that's fine.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it does, and moons, and space stations, and more.

Well let's not get ahead of things, it has one space station, and one planet. That only kind of works. And there's nothing to do in the game yet besides fly around and screencap collision bugs, unless you're hot for bare bones fetch quests that pay peanuts.

Assuming both of the games make it out at some point, I have zero doubt that BG&E2, while smaller astronomically speaking, will have content density well beyond anything Star Citizen offers.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It'll only get worse next gen.

I mean, these AAA devs are big companies that only make business decisions based on intensive research and data.

They keep making these because there's a market. As we can see from this thread, Era is certainly not their target audience, and that's fine.

I'm just surprised that's all. I'm aware Era is a bubble. But what do I know. I know market research is sometimes wrong though.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be happy even if they just made the main city they've been showing off more dense, gameplay-wise. Not sure how successful they'll be at expanding to multiple planets, let alone maintaining that fidelity across multiple cities.

The fact they have aerial vehicles and that city still carries a grand sense of wonder and scale (helped enormously by the overall aesthetic) is what impresses me but ideally one would also want enough buildings to enter so as not to feel artificial after time with it.

Being able to travel directly to space or across vast areas of emptiness wasn't the impressive part for me.

Last edited:

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I think if ubisoft makes a game somehow bigger than AC:O they need to re-evaluate on what makes compelling side content and what purpose such a massive world serves to the gameplay.

Yakuza 0 laughs at these huge games. More memorable world, more enjoyable content.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
With that big of a scale, I have little faith the game will be well paced with actual content continously presenting itself.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
My question here is: Why didn't they just make it a new IP?
It's not like the first one has much mainstream brand recognition anyway and I feel by calling it Beyond Good and Evil 2 you're going to alienate people who feel that they need to play the first one first?

Not to mention it doesn't seem to have very much to do with the first one?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest amusement parks are the ones with the longest walks between attractions
This is true. But they aren't building an "Open Amusement Park", it's an Open "World", where the key is that they're emulating the foibles of the "real" world. The real world is filled with negative spaces or empty areas of which most people don't find interesting, they're just transitory spaces that connect a point to another.

Now you could argue that games are closer to amusement parks in purpose so they shouldn't be emulating the real world and should compress everything to be next to each other. There are games where natural geography causes that to happen, such as cities but other large landscapes fall flat when they're highly compressed. Skyrim in particular falls prey to Potatoland, where quest givers are practically standing next to their quest objective. I think many games find a happy medium between a sense of place and compression.

Two obvious solutions to deal with traversal of large spaces is to make traversal fast, or to make it interesting. It remains to be seen if either of those apply here, but still, we should expect Space to be empty, there is a reason it is called that.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm just surprised that's all. I'm aware Era is a bubble. But what do I know. I know market research is sometimes wrong though.
You're right. There's also a chance that the market is declining, as we can see from cover shooters from last gen.

My question here is: Why didn't they just make it a new IP?
It's not like the first one has much mainstream brand recognition anyway and I feel by calling it Beyond Good and Evil 2 you're going to alienate people who feel that they need to play the first one first?

Not to mention it doesn't seem to have very much to do with the first one?
This is a prequel, so everyone can jump in from here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You're right. There's also a chance that the market is declining, as we can see from cover shooters from last gen.

That's kinda what I meant. I occasionally browse reddit, listen to discussion of friends on facebook, see things on twitter, that seem to imply to me that the tone is much less enthused about the the whole gigantic world thing. Most people by now are savy enough to realize it doesn't mean anything crazy. They may see it as a positive thing, but it isn't really the wow factor it's sold as.

Back when games first started really having big worlds, I'd have people I didn't even know gamed talk about how cool that was. Now I don't hear about it from anyone. The wow is gone. I think it's a positive simply because there's more checkmarks to complete.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Not to sound too negative, but this sounds less and less like the sequel I wanted.
They really should just call this game "Beyond" and leave it at that.
Agreed, at this point the BG&E name is just going to be to the detriment of the game. For those of use waiting over 15 years for a sequel, this clearly isn't it, for those that like the look of it, the thought that they need to play an wildly different game to understand some of the story might be offputting.

I don't personally see "biggest open world ever" as a particularly enticing prospect, that means it's either empty and boring or filled just enough with randomly generated or copy and paste content that it can't be called empty. BG&E's open world was small but personal, every NPC was worth talking to at multiple points of the story to see how the world was reacting to the events - that's what BG&E is to me, and what I wanted for a sequel was making use of the horsepower to densely pack a world with every NPC still having a personality and every building having a purpose.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
you seem to foget about ubisofts downgrades man. game may look awesome now, they are pushing PC to limits and shit. but when they have to put it in a console, itll all be downgraded like all their over ambitious games.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
rPv2g7s.gif

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This seems very ambitious. I hope they can capture what made the original so special within this larger framework. I do have faith in Michel Ancel though, he hasn't let me down yet.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
you seem to foget about ubisofts downgrades man. game may look awesome now, they are pushing PC to limits and shit. but when they have to put it in a console, itll all be downgraded like all their over ambitious games.
But it doesn't look special right now?
It really shows they're in dev and it's not target footage they've shown at the reveal.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i trust michel ancel knows what he's doing. bge was actually a game compromised by the hardware it was on - and i know that's why people love it. at least it will be neat to see his original idea thanks to today's tech.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Personally I trust Ancel.

A lot.

This looks good. The speedy travel helps with distances and this just seems like a cool place to be and spend time in. I trust they can deliver on the story and the pacing for those who wish more linear experience from the playthrough.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Just hope they really can deliver that. Games sometimes can be way too ambitious.
As for me, this sounds crazy and interesting. I hope it has a map because I get lost often.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well, No Man's Sky is essentially "infinite" and that didn't exactly set the world on fire OP. I believe that quality is way more important than quantity (or scope) here. If we have an entire galaxy full of boring planets with nothing to do, then scale means nothing.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way it won't crumble under its own ambitions. Hopefully it can at least do it in an interesting way and not the usual boring Ubisoft way.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
"is potentially the biggest open world game ever"

But it's not? While No Man's Sky exists we know it's not. Regardless of what you think of that game. Why post this?
Biggest non-procedurally generated open world game then perhaps.

But like others have said, this is a massive turn-off for me and not the direction I wanted from a BG&E sequel.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It has "2", in the title, so that isn't immediately obvious to a newcomer.
Do you not think the name would throw people off though?( Assuming they keep the 2)
There were some successful prequels with 2 in the name, with RDR2 as the most recent example. It all depends on the marketing and how they communicate the game until release.

I personally have just found out that this is a prequel today.

Well, No Man's Sky is essentially "infinite" and that didn't exactly set the world on fire OP. I believe that quality is way more important than quantity (or scope) here. If we have an entire galaxy full of boring planets with nothing to do, then scale means nothing.
You need to see the video to understand that this is nothing like NMS.

Zynn

Jan 5, 2018
The bigger the world, the harder it is to create a cohesive narrative. The first game was good because of the story.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
There were some successful prequels with 2 in the name, with RDR2 as the most recent example. It all depends on the marketing and how they communicate the game until release.

I personally have just found out that this is a prequel today.

Red Dead redemption is a fairly big franchise though. Beyond Good and Evil was released almost 15 years ago and kinda bombed even back then.
I know what you're saying though and perhaps parts of the story will justify this but it's quite the gamble so far in my head.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky isn't cut from the same cloth as what Ubisoft are trying to do with their games. They seek to create worlds filled with stories that the player seeks out of their own volition. What this means is that a game like BG&E2 will have an epic shitload of little stories. A lot of what you see in the BG&E2 footage is very clearly based on ideas being kicked around in AC: Odyssey and Far Cry 5. You sail through space in a ship seeking out stories. You land on a planet, and you find people/aliens there. People who need help. People who want things from you. The thing about No Man's Sky is that its galaxy is driven by a consumption, crafting, and exploration loop instead of a loop of exploration and engaging with NPCs to discover their stories. There are stories to be found in NMS but they're more "read a diary entry" kinda stories than anything else.

In some ways, what Ubisoft are recently attempting is what Bioware were trying to do with ME: Andromeda before the project went completely off the rails. Originally, Bioware wanted the player to be able to fly around freely in their ship and land on planets. All that had to be scrapped.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, how did you figure it's the biggest open world? Many games allow you to go from planet to planet, doesn't mean they have the biggest world. Trailer voice over guy says cities are detailed, but outside of them planet surface appears to be just randomly generated noise void of any detail.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I can imagine Ubisoft executives shivering in fear right now

Ubi will lose so much money with this project.

No way that they will get their money back on such a massive development for the sequel of a cult calssic.

They probably know it, but since this is Ancel's pasion project, they let it slide.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Tbh scale alone isn't impressive anymore. If the locations are fleshed out and not pallette swaps then that's a different story, but merely being really big isn't a selling point for me.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
OP, how did you figure it's the biggest open world? Many games allow you to go from planet to planet, doesn't mean they have the biggest world. Trailer voice over guy says cities are detailed, but outside of them planet surface appears to be just randomly generated noise void of any detail.
The places are hand-crafted unlike NMS, including cities, villages, and dungeons.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic. But there's a reason the term "A mile wide, inch deep" is usually synonymous with open world titles of inordinately large scale.