• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/defondaumiere
  • Beyond on PS3 reached roughly 2 million copies sold back in 2015, so the PS4 remaster sold most of those 800k; digital should have a high ratio since the physical PS4 release was delayed. This is against a reported production budget of $27M and another $25M in marketing for a total spend of $52M. Safe to say the game made a decent profit at this point despite getting discounted pretty quickly after release
  • Heavy Rain is at 5.3 million copies sold (PS3 + PS4) against a total budget of $46M ($19M in dev + $27M in marketing)
  • Detroit reached 1 million copies sold after 2 weeks against a production budget of $35M and an unspecified amount in marketing (likely between $25-30 million). Heavy Rain took 5 weeks for the same milestone and Beyond required 11-12 weeks. I think Detroit should already be profitable
Note: Sony and Quantic Dream operate on a game per game contract. After a game reaches a defined "dead" point all further profits generated from sales are split up between Sony and Quantic. The studio is reportedly profitable every year with an annual revenue of around €10-12M.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Because I'm basically drive by posting, I'll instead just say fuck this game and how it glorifies suicide.

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a lot for it? Game released what feels like ages ago (with some huge sales if I remembered).

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to them. While Beyond: Two Souls was probably their weakest game it was still worth playing. Glad to see that it's sold almost 3 million and made money for them. Contrary to what some think 2.8 million is not a bomb. Some people forget that a lot of games from last gen and this gen never even sold a million.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Not the kind of game I wanted after playing heavy rain but the sci-fi aspect kept me interested. Kudos to Quantic Dream and the great David Cage, everytime you post a comment about how bad his writing is a new ramification is added to his next game.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
That's..actually pretty good. I am happy to hear beyond sold decently coz I am one of the 2-3 people on earth who enjoyed playing it. Great to see heavy rain and detroit doing great at sales too. Kudos to them and can't wait for their future games.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Played it when was free for Plus and I enjoyed my time with it. It's a pretty good "choose your adventure/dialogue" type of game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's just your opinion. There are over 7 billion other people on the planet who can make their own decision as to whether they want to play the game or not.
Nah, it's alright. Enjoyed it.

Willem DaFoe kills himself and is immediately happily reunied with his family and Ellen Paige has the option to die and reunite with her family.

What part of that is okay?

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Beyond

The homeless chapter was really good

And it's so much better playing in chronological order mode.

Also Elen Page shower scenes are a plus

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Willem DaFoe kills himself and is immediately happily reunied with his family and Ellen Paige has the option to die and reunite with her family.

The part where it's a fictional story that deals with mature themes.

The world isn't as simple as "I personally don't like this thing so therefore it shouldn't succeed".

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

I don't think you understood the intended message of the game if that's what you got from it...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part where it's a fictional story that deals with mature themes.

The world isn't as simple as "I personally don't like this thing so therefore it shouldn't succeed".

Mature themes like
kill yourself because you'll see your family again.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nice. I enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would after reading a lot of negative things about it. It holds up better than Heavy Rain thanks to the voice acting and motion capture. Manipulating objects and people with Aiden was entertaining.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Beyond is my favorite Quantic Dream game.

I know it's not nearly as well received by most fans as their other recent titles, but I really wish they'd focus on single protagonists going forward.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I didn't like it as much as Heavy Rain or Detroit (which was awesome btw).
The story was all over the place, I think. The way they handle it was not great.
Having said that, it's good to know that none of the entries have bombed and that there is a market for these types of games.
I think they are good in their own right.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Mature themes like

This is a game where ghosts are a thing. William Dafoe was seen as a crazed lunatic at the end of the game and it's called the bad ending for a reason. You wouldn't say Donnie Darko glorifies suicide because the main charecter lets himself die at the end.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

All of it. There's no rules to storytelling.

And I believe everyone owns their own life and can take it or not as they please.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it as much as Heavy Rain or Detroit (which was awesome btw).
The story was all over the place, I think. The way they handle it was not great.
Having said that, it's good to know that none of the entries have bombed and that there is a market for these types of games.
I think they are good in their own right.

I know people shit on David Cage's games for their lack of gameplay, but a narrative adventure where you die and the story continues without you is pretty awesome, even if Detroit was the only one I came close to liking, mostly because of Connor's story.

Also people seriously misquote the "game over is a failure of game design" thing. He's talking about his own games there!

All of it. There's no rules to storytelling.

And I believe everyone owns their own life and can take it or not as they please.

Please do not listen to this person. If you are feeling like taking your own life, please seek help from friends, family, or a trained professional.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I am guessing these do not include the people who got the game due to psplus?

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

It's fictional dude. You are not supposed to get real life advice out of it, cause who knows what comes after death. Jodie herself says there is a ton she still wants to do in life, hence it is up to the player to decide whether she should pursue that or if she suffered enough. It has zero to do with portraying suicide in a positive light. In the context of the story you accept that dying just means entering the next phase aka the Infraworld.

Is that a lot for it? Game released what feels like ages ago (with some huge sales if I remembered).
It's not amazing, but it is okay and should be profitable especially after the remaster.

Also both games were on PS+, does that involve any kind of money for Quantic? Normally it does for third parties.
We don't have that info, but I wouldn't be surprised if Quantic gets some form of compensation from it.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mature themes like

It's not the first and won't be the last game that deals with suicide.

It wasn't even the first Quantic Dream game that dealt with suicide.

The game was rated appropriately (for adults) who should be equipped to contextualise and deal with the events that unfold or are presented as options to the player.

Judging by your "y tho" I'm going to assume you played this game when it possibly would have been best that you didn't.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/defondaumiere
  • Beyond on PS3 reached roughly 2 million copies sold back in 2015, so the PS4 remaster sold most of those 800k; digital should have a high ratio since the physical PS4 release was delayed. This is against a reported production budget of $27M and another $25M in marketing for a total spend of $52M. Safe to say the game made a decent profit at this point despite getting discounted pretty quickly after release
  • Heavy Rain is at 5.3 million copies sold (PS3 + PS4) against a total budget of $46M ($19M in dev + $27M in marketing)
  • Detroit reached 1 million copies sold after 2 weeks against a production budget of $35M and an unspecified amount in marketing (likely between $25-30 million). Heavy Rain took 5 weeks for the same milestone and Beyond required 11-12 weeks. I think Detroit should already be profitable
Note: Sony and Quantic Dream operate on a game per game contract. After a game reaches a defined "dead" point all further profits generated from sales are split up between Sony and Quantic. The studio is reportedly profitable every year with an annual revenue of around €10-12M.

I tried looking it up but couldn't find a source for this, you got a link?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one was encouraged. They were showing one characters fictional life.

We're not talking about the game now, you are literally talking about how people should kill themselves if they feel like it because it's their choice.

I hope to god I am misinterpreting what you're saying here, because I am someone who's struggled massively with suicidal ideation and this is absolutely the last thing I would need to hear.

It's not the first and won't be the last game that deals with suicide.

It wasn't even the first Quantic Dream game that dealt with suicide.

The game was rated appropriately (for adults) who should be equipped to contextualise and deal with the events that unfold or are presented as options to the player.

Judging by your "y tho" I'm going to assume you played this game when it possibly would have been best that you didn't.

Probably would have been for the best TBH. The game just makes me angry.

But it's not about dealing with suicide, like say the story of someone who lives through the aftermath of a loved one's suicide, it's explicitly a scene where a dude caps himself in the head and it's treated as a good thing.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
We're not talking about the game now, you are literally talking about how people should kill themselves if they feel like it because it's their choice.

I hope to god I am misinterpreting what you're saying here, because I am someone who's struggled massively with suicidal ideation and this is absolutely the last thing I would need to hear.
People have the right to end their own lives. You do not get to choose for them or shame them.

Please Get therapy if you personally cannot deal with this concept but I'm not the only person who believes that we OUR OWN lives.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Because I'm basically drive by posting, I'll instead just say fuck this game and how it glorifies suicide.
What? No. Bad take, bro.

Glad to see this game doing well. While I don't necessarily care too much for how smart David Cage seems to think he is, among other things about him, he wasn't the only person to work on this game. The others on the team made a really fun game.

Well done, well deserved Quantic.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
giphy.gif