• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I love Malcolm X but I very much prefer his post-Mecca rhetoric and energy after breaking off from Elijah Muhammad. Dude was a beast, but we only got about a year of him before he was killed.

Would the civil-rights movement have been any different if he hadn't been killed?

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many people attribute the progress made during the civil rights movement exclusively to Martin Luther Kings leadership and promotion of peaceful protests. But they fail to realize that peaceful protests alone are not sufficient to bring great change. You need radical rhetoric from people like Malcolm X to help facilitate change brought by people like MLK.

The civil rights movement would have certainly been different if he hadn't been murdered.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, much respect to Brother Malcolm.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
"I want Dr. King to know that I didn't come to Selma to make his job difficult. I really did come thinking I could make it easier. If the white people realize what the alternative is, perhaps they will be more willing to hear Dr. King."

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
What are some of Malcolm X's best essays and writings? I have the Autobiography but that's it.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Who Killed Malcolm X?" is a new 6 episode documentary on Netflix. I'm glad the books I've read previously on his assassination check out.

I'm with you OP. Malcolm was a huge threat to the status quo and once he left The Honorable Elijah Muhammad, the White power apparatus had to take him out. The man truly loved Black people.

If you are a Black and charismatic speaker that is fighting for your people or the poor, you will be taken out. Fuck this country.

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I love Malcolm X but I very much prefer his post-Mecca rhetoric and energy after breaking off from Elijah Muhammad. Dude was a beast, but we only got about a year of him before he was killed.

Would the civil-rights movement have been any different if he hadn't been killed?

This doesn't make any sense.

After breaking off from the Nation of Islam is when he had his Mecca phase.

Thats when he became a mainstream conventional Muslim who embraced all Muslims, white ones included. Thats when he adhered to traditional Islam and not Nation of Islam.

Strange and quite offensive to the man to say he had a post Mecca phase, a man who was a proud Muslim.

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
His autobiography is still one of my favorite books ever

Yes where he talks about going to Mecca and realising how wrong Nation of Islam was.

There was no post Mecca phase. That's just strange to say.

He was a devout Muslim. To suggest he had a post Muslim or Mecca phase is just wrong and extremely offensive to his memory.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Yes where he talks about going to Mecca and realising how wrong Nation of Islam was.

He was a devout Muslim. To suggest he had a post Muslim or Mecca phase is just wrong and extremely offensive to his memory.
that poster probably meant post Mecca in the sense of how his views changed after visiting Mecca, not in the sense of him no longer being a Muslim

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018

I think OP meant "post-Mecca" to mean the period after Malcolm visited Mecca, not to imply that he abandoned the teachings of Islam at any point.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Malcolm X and Farrakhan have a ridiculous amount of personality. Their speaking ability is amazing.

If either guy was white and rich they would have been president.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NOI, FBI, NYPD are responsible for Malcolm's death. FBI being the most culpable. I wish there was a hell for J.Edgar Hoover to burn in.
Malcolm X and Farrakhan have a ridiculous amount of personality. Their speaking ability is amazing.

If either guy was white and rich they would have been president.
LMAO!! Hahahaha. That's the truth.

Yeah I love both of their speaking styles and impersonate them every now and then. Farrakhan and Obama made me realize pausing, speaking slowly, or the latter's "uuuhhhhh" midsentence, can buy you some time to gather your thoughts while speaking. I can't work a crowd for shit lol.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Would have but nice but the U.S. Govt, Hoover and Co-Intel pro was no joke. Malcom was destined for death so Martin the second they both started talking about the bigger picture.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would have but nice but the U.S. Govt, Hoover and Co-Intel pro was no joke. Malcom was destined for death so Martin the second they both started talking about the bigger picture.
It wouldn't surprise me if they still had the appetite for murder. I honestly fear for the left leaning public figures here. State sanctioned murder apparently flies right under peoples' noses.

May 30, 2018
It's a complete shame you have to go out of your way to learn about him. The most legendary black figure in 20th century America, along with Muhammad Ali. It's sad that they fell out and they never reconciled, Ali even mentioned it as one of his biggest regrets

i read a biography on him way back, and I've seen YT clips of him, but you could just tell he oozed charisma and was insanely sharp. He has a goldmine of quotes as well

If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.

In this deceitful American game of power politics, the Negroes (i.e., the race problem, the integration and civil rights issues) are nothing but tools, used by one group of whites called Liberals against another group of whites called Conservatives, either to get into power or to remain in power. Among whites here in America, the political teams are no longer divided into Democrats and Republicans. The whites who are now struggling for control of the American political throne are divided into "liberal" and "conservative" camps. The white liberals from both parties cross party lines to work together toward the same goal, and white conservatives from both parties do likewise.

The white liberal differs from the white conservative only in one way: the liberal is more deceitful than the conservative. The liberal is more hypocritical than the conservative. Both want power, but the white liberal is the one who has perfected the art of posing as the Negro's friend and benefactor; and by winning the friendship, allegiance, and support of the Negro, the white liberal is able to use the Negro as a pawn or tool in this political "football game" that is constantly raging between the white liberals and white conservatives.

Politically the American Negro is nothing but a football and the white liberals control this mentally dead ball through tricks of tokenism: false promises of integration and civil rights. In this profitable game of deceiving and exploiting the political politician of the American Negro, those white liberals have the willing cooperation of the Negro civil rights leaders. These "leaders" sell out our people for just a few crumbs of token recognition and token gains. These "leaders" are satisfied with token victories and token progress because they themselves are nothing but token leaders

"being an old farm boy myself, chickens coming home to roost never did make me sad; they've always made me glad."

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, very much my favourite version of X. Seemed like a wise dude who'd learned a lot from his past experiences and mistakes and had so much to offer :(