• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Z4qQag0.jpg

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
When I was wee, we had an ancient kid's bike in our garage that had solid tyres. No idea where it came from but I can confirm that it was fucking grim to ride. Not the most comfortable!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've spent a decent amount of time going around transport museums in various countries. Always fascinating to see the old bikes.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Oversharing somewhat, but I feel like I'm slowly getting a handle on my depression and getting back to training.

Still a long, long way to go (diet is shit, and drinking too much), but I've had some solid turbo sessions in the last couple of weeks and I'm hoping I can progress off the back of that.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know of any cheap but good winter bibs? I'm training 6 days a week right now and I can't keep up with the washing if I'm honest.

I have good results with these but they're out of stock.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know of any cheap but good winter bibs? I'm training 6 days a week right now and I can't keep up with the washing if I'm honest.

I have good results with these but they're out of stock.
Damnit, Decathlon would have been my go-to suggestion. Other than that, I've had some nice Altura winter bibs in the past but only in the sales, which they don't seem to be running currently.

But I tend to wear bib tights, not bib shorts. And NEVER "bib longs" aka 3/4 tights, which are truly an abomination.

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Absolutley no help but I've been wearing the 15£ bib tights Aldi had in 3-4 months ago all winter. They've been perfect (for a normal cyclist).

Halfords were discontinuing some tights during the sales over xmas and I picked up a pair dirt cheap but they are so thin the wind rips straight through them just standing. The first ride with them on a 3 degree day was not very nice.

edit,
You could try looking on BikeInn (or Alpinetrek). Their prices are always cheaper than the UK but they come from the Netherlands or Belgium so you need to keep the order under 135£ or you might have to pay customs duty.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I've ever tried Aldi stuff. I don't go in there enough to notice when they have it.

There used to be some passable DHB stuff, but it seems they only do the full length tights now.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
House insurance prices are so crazy here now in the UK that I'm actually better off insuring my bikes on a standalone policy than adding them to my home insurance. Not least because so many policies consider an external garage to be an "outbuilding" and limit claims to next to fuck all if you have something stolen.

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Don't have an insurance for mine (stored in my flat). Just checked and the four that would be worth insuring would be 15£ a month. Rather spend that on bike bits.

Normally it's just pillocks passing too closely that I report to the police but I had to report the first cyclist that almost wiped out a little girl yesterday. Maddening how many twats don't understand the concept of sharing space.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Don't have an insurance for mine (stored in my flat). Just checked and the four that would be worth insuring would be 15£ a month. Rather spend that on bike bits.
If they're in your house it's generally fine (not least due to security), it's when you've got a number of £3k+ bikes in a garage and your outbuildings cover is like... £1,500 max that you realise you've got problems.

Edit - Bless that kid. God forbid the person slows down for two seconds to safely go around them.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021

Normally it's just pillocks passing too closely that I report to the police but I had to report the first cyclist that almost wiped out a little girl yesterday. Maddening how many twats don't understand the concept of sharing space.

[Hidden content]
Will the police in the UK actually follow up on those reports? I have so little faith for cops in the US that I never bother.

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Will the police in the UK actually follow up on those reports? I have so little faith for cops in the US that I never bother.

For cars passing too closely, yes if they deem it dangerous from the footage provided (passing within 1.5 meters of a cyclist if they are travelling at speed). They'll just be sent on a course.

Highy unlikely anything will be done about the dickhead cyclist other than a PCSO (police community support officer, police assistants that have very little power) being sent to the general area to be seen for thirty seconds.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's taken a year and three months, but British Airways finally agreed to transfer the money for my bike repair / bike rental.

What a fucking farce it's been.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Congrats! I love my ebike, sometimes I'm just not in the mood to work hard to get somewhere. Which one are you getting?
Getting a Trek Allant+ 7S. I kind of got lucky - when I called my local bike shop to check availablity and schedule a time to do some test rides, I happened to speak to the owner who just happened to be getting ready to sell his personal bike, same model I was looking for. It only has 750mi, a bunch of extras added on, and obviously very well cared for by a cycling enthusiast - all for $2500. Seems like a great deal, but I haven't picked it up yet so let me know if anyone thinks otherwise.

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Ordered 3 of them and was expecting 6 to show up but there were only 3 in the baggy. Don't need them but they came on one of the bikes and they work well so just grabbed a few for the parts box.

Just asking as the seal kit I ordered looked to be the wrong size (and there is no mention of 34mm anywhere on the packaging, thanks x-fusion) but the calipers set me straight. Openng the parcel sent me to bizarroland.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'd be disappointed by 3, but I can sort of see it (each unit is two "clips", so they sort of get away with the naming).

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Yep, sucks big time. Not just for Wiggle but they owe a lot of money to all of their suppliers, big and small. Hopefully Mike Ashley didn't buy the branding.

I've been pilfering from them since they've been putting stuff up for heavy discounts. Built a single speed summer cruiser (technically a dirt jump bike) for cheaps.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Feels a bit like picking over the bones now, but there are some decent savings to be had on random stuff on their site.

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Administrators are incharge so any money that comes in will be going to wages and paying off the debts they have. If that make you feel any better.

I Really shouldn't buy any more but there are few bits that are still quite expensive (nukeproof frames, road wheelsets etc) that I'd snap up if they add another trove of stuff with deep reductions.

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Lidl uk have some cycling stuff in next Thursday.

Food, Non-food, Wine and Recipes | Lidl GB

Explore our range of high quality fresh food & product offers. Enjoy great prices & latest deals in store. Shop today & collect your Lidl Plus points.

Mostly pap but the chain/brake cleaner aren't that badly priced if they aren't shit. Will probably try the bib shorts.

A seagull totally nailed me today. Helmet, glasses, jacket, shorts and frame.
go3h7jro.gif

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Lidl uk have some cycling stuff in next Thursday.

Food, Non-food, Wine and Recipes | Lidl GB

Explore our range of high quality fresh food & product offers. Enjoy great prices & latest deals in store. Shop today & collect your Lidl Plus points.
Mostly pap but the chain/brake cleaner aren't that badly priced if they aren't shit. Will probably try the bib shorts.
Their workstands are very decent for the money. As good as something costing twice the price from your normal etailers.

Can't speak to their clothing but really it can't be worse than a lot of "budget" cycling gear that costs five times as much.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm so glad we're back to it being lighter in the afternoon.

As soon as I'm recovered from having my gallbladder removed, I'm definitely going to get back into riding my bike to work.

So can't wait

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I have a crivit thermal top that's been brilliant. So effective i had to remove all my other layers because i was roasting in it cycling in 4C.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I think my first ride outdoors will likely be just before I head off to my event in Spain. Maybe late April?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yearly (ish) blood tests sent off today. Will be interesting to see if my body has finally started falling apart due to all the training.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly sick of the 5+ months of constant rain. Should have been able to do a bunch of my usual off-road routes last month but they're still all flooded or so muddy you're better of leaving the bike home.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly sick of the 5+ months of constant rain. Should have been able to do a bunch of my usual off-road routes last month but they're still all flooded or so muddy you're better of leaving the bike home.
Yeah the rain is beyond taking the piss now. Absolutely sick and tired of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
How often should I be getting my bike serviced?

Got mines last Spring, only really used to go to and from work every day from April till October-ish? Issue I have is that plenty of "local" places have stopped offering the service, which means long waits at the few that are left.

I have no time to learn how to do it myself, despite many many folks on Reddit and the like stating "this is the way". I'd rather pay a professional.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
How often should I be getting my bike serviced?

Got mines last Spring, only really used to go to and from work every day from April till October-ish? Issue I have is that plenty of "local" places have stopped offering the service, which means long waits at the few that are left.

I have no time to learn how to do it myself, despite many many folks on Reddit and the like stating "this is the way". I'd rather pay a professional.
How much maintenance are you doing? And by that, I mean are you cleaning the bike and especially the drivetrain, lubing the chain, making sure tyres are inflated correctly? If the answer is "no, nothing ever" then a) you really should start and b) take it to a pro by all means but you'll be spending good money for no real reason, assuming you can get a spot with someone.

I commute year-round and even in the summer when conditions are optimal, I check tyres weekly, clean & lube the chain every 1-2 weeks and more often if it rains. And I wipe the bike down if it's wet/muddy - the longer you leave that shit on your drivetrain, the quicker it wears and the more money it costs you.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yup. Has caused me actual depression.

Went out yesterday to walk (hike) a few local trails and I could barely get through on foot. Some nice rocky climbs I could do, but I'd basically then have to turn around and come back the way I came.

Fuck all the way off. :(

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the rain is beyond taking the piss now. Absolutely sick and tired of it.

It's been shit, had to stay roads all winter and half of them are flooded at some point or another. Even had a Karen try to block our access through flooded water on a public road because people were using their private road to turn around.
Yup. Has caused me actual depression.

Went out yesterday to walk (hike) a few local trails and I could barely get through on foot. Some nice rocky climbs I could do, but I'd basically then have to turn around and come back the way I came.

Fuck all the way off. :(

It's mad shit. Even some of the more all-weather bridleways are flooded or just a mess of sandy mush or boggy mud. As an aside, sustrans has take 4 years to tarmac 4.5 miles of old rail-line that was great for MTB stuff previously. They closed off the path for an entire year before doing anything to it, a few bridges were removed, too.

Still only half done and no safe access from the road to the path where the bridges came down. Feels like a laundering operation with how fucking slow it's been for them to tarmac the recent 2 mile section of path this last 8 months.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
It could be worse, this was my front yard yesterday:

3d6cda5319ba0fd4.jpeg

The melt-off from this when it hits 65F on Monday will be a mess for our already saturated area. We've had three historical floods this winter where I've had to fetch trail bridges out of the stream/flood plain, getting old.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I got a new SUV about a week ago (2021 EcoSport Titanium 4x4), and I'm just waiting on time to get over to my parent's house to get a tow-hitch installed for my bike rack.

20240408-125821.jpg

(took the car for a drive in the mountains yesterday to see how it handles, and it was awesome).

I'm really looking forward to being able to take my bike to places I could never dream of getting to with my Jetta (especially now that the weather's starting to warm up).

Bike update

bianchi celeste

Using bolt on skewers and got new wheels after needing a replacement when I have a crash. End up getting really nice used ones that made my bike lighter.

Bianchi white

Had a chain tensioner but after finding out I can take out the drop out limiters, I can tension the chain without it. Also bolt on skewers.

I think I'll have one more bike in the future for long distance travel. Thinking about a titanium frame.