• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was a total disaster. There was a reasonably long and steep climb near the start of the ride and my heart rate spiked and I started having trouble breathing. I went a little further but knowing there were a bunch more climbs I was just mentally out of it and decided to bail.

Not sure what is up with me and this bike. I need to take it out on some hill repeats or something.

Riding out in the cold was kind of neat though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm researching Carbon rims, and looks like they melt under braking heat? I'm used to brake hard and often. I'm a city rider on a hilly landscape, with lots of potholes and speed bumps to booth....

I think they only "melt" if you dont use the right brake pads. It's more the pads melt on the carbon than the carbon melting IIRC.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Well a few weeks after the flat/crash disaster of my first ride I'm happy to report I had a blast today. Rode about 26 miles, couple buddies were really pushing and encouraging me. One Hill beat me real good though, had to get off and walk it up because I thought my heart would explode. Anyways, great times were had.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
The only type of carbon wheels that will overheat are cheap Chinese knockoffs (and even those are getting better and better).

You should be fine with carbon, but if you're not too sure about their braking performance you can always look for carbon rims with aluminium brake surfaces.
Mavic has a few of those like the Cosmic Pro Carbon.

Sounds like the rest of you got properly tested this weekend. I myself have been struggling with a hell of a stomach flu.
Haven't been able to ride since I lost 5-6kg and I really need to get back to strength.
I did manage to ready my bike for the summer season again, really looking forward to next weekend!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
OK I took a long nap yesterday afternoon and wallowed in some chicken tenders, steak tips and French fries for dinner but today is a new day and time to get focused.

I think I will continue my indoor program going during the week and then Sunday will be climbing Day on the gravel bike. I've got two decent hills on either side of my house that I can repeat to start and as I get more confident I'll go to other longer nearby climbs.

A while back I signed up for a mixed terrain ride that's 40 miles and almost 5k feet of climbing, so I've got 2 months to determine if I can handle that otherwise I'll just cut my losses and move on to the next gravel ride in June which is significantly easier.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'll basically be starting from scratch when I start back again. Trying not to be too hard on myself. Shit happens.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Why are your guys' cardios exploding on climbs? Running out of gears and having to sprint?

Don't be intimidated by a ride with lots of steep climbing just because it has lots of steep climbing. Unless it's technical, there's nothing hard about riding up steep hills; you just need to have low gears that let you choose your intensity on the grades you'll be riding, and you need to pick an intensity you can hold for a long time.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Why are your guys' cardios exploding on climbs? Running out of gears and having to sprint?

Don't be intimidated by a ride with lots of steep climbing just because it has lots of steep climbing. Unless it's technical, there's nothing hard about riding up steep hills; you just need to have low gears that let you choose your intensity on the grades you'll be riding, and you need to pick an intensity you can hold for a long time.
I can't fight the urge of going faster :(

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know, is there a calculator that shows how much power is required to get a 190lb object up a 9 percent incline using a bicycle at a certain gearing? On this bike (which should be noted is a fair bit heavier than my carbon road bike and has 38mm knobby tires and the road was packed dirt) I was in 30f 32r and the climb that got me based on strava data was 7/10 of a mile at 9 percent average grade. Also note I absolutely have exercise induced asthma, and sudden jolts to the system like this is when it gets triggered. I need to be able to put out the effort required to do a climb like that while keeping my heart rate steady.

Edit: so using this calculator (http://bikecalculator.com/examples.html) it says I should be able to do it at 109 watts going like 2.5 mph. Which would be fine, but will a bike travel up an incline at 2.5 mph? It would fall over, right? Plugging into this cadence calculator, if I am using it right,(https://www.bicyclegearcalculator.uk/derailleurgears.ht) it looks like it would take something like 200 watts to go up the hill at high cadence at around 6 mph. How long can I keep up 200 watts? I don't know, but my ftp is 175, so not forever. Plus the hill was not a steady 9 percent, it would sometimes get steeper, requiring bursts of more power.

Last edited:

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, is there a calculator that shows how much power is required to get a 190lb object up a 9 percent incline using a bicycle at a certain gearing? On this bike (which should be noted is a fair bit heavier than my carbon road bike and has 38mm knobby tires and the road was packed dirt) I was in 30f 32r and the climb that got me based on strava data was 7/10 of a mile at 9 percent average grade. Also note I absolutely have exercise induced asthma, and sudden jolts to the system like this is when it gets triggered. I need to be able to put out the effort required to do a climb like that while keeping my heart rate steady.

Something like this? https://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/PowerCadenceCalculator.aspx

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: so using this calculator (http://bikecalculator.com/examples.html) it says I should be able to do it at 109 watts going like 2.5 mph. Which would be fine, but will a bike travel up an incline at 2.5 mph? It would fall over, right?
It shouldn't fall over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgIL6eHHgZU

You really don't need much speed for a bicycle to enjoy a decent degree of stability. Note that it's easier to balance when you're pedaling normally (such as while climbing) than while trying to go very slow on flat ground, since cycling muscle memory uses the pedal stroke (including the resistance from the pedals) as part of the balancing process.

Plugging into this cadence calculator, if I am using it right,(https://www.bicyclegearcalculator.uk/derailleurgears.ht) it looks like it would take something like 200 watts to go up the hill at high cadence at around 6 mph. How long can I keep up 200 watts? I don't know, but my ftp is 175, so not forever. Plus the hill was not a steady 9 percent, it would sometimes get steeper, requiring bursts of more power.
Can you put lower gearing on the bike?

30-32 on a 700x38 tire is around 26 gear inches. I'm a significantly stronger climber than you, and the bike that I prefer to bring to climbs like that has a 22-inch low gear.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
So, the new season has started in earnest in the Netherlands.
Had a nice sunny ride yesterday evening... I could even wear my bib shorts!

Now the next choice to make is the wheel upgrade. I've asked your opinions before, but I've narrowed the choice down to two wheels.
I mostly ride on the flats (since I live in the Netherlands), so I've decided to go for carbon wheels with a medium high rim. The wheels should be a little more versatile than either all-out climbers or full on aero rims, so a trip abroad won't need an immediate wheel change.

The options i've got are:

Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon

product.php

Price 850 euro's new
- 1490 gram
- 40mm high rim

And the Edco Optima Albula 38:

product.php

Price 750 euro's new.
- 1780 gram
- 38 mm high rim
- 8 year warranty (!)

As I see it, the Fulcrums have the edge in terms of weight advantage. Do any of you have any experience with either wheel set, or can you offer some thoughts on carbon wheel purchases?

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I'm a bit pissed its behind another imaginary level wall again.
Rode +500km since january and I just became lvl 8 or something.
Seems ridiculous to have a paid cycling service where you can't use all the content.

There's some quick ways to get XP, like giving Thumbs Up to 30 riders gets you a bunch of points. A few others are easy to get by just loading up the software and clicking some shit.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Got my first ride of the year planned for tomorrow and I am way too excited. It's been a long long off season, I'm (mentally) ready to get back on the road.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, is it true that hard anodized rims (aluminium) are brittle and a bad idea all around?

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I'm a bit pissed its behind another imaginary level wall again.
Rode +500km since january and I just became lvl 8 or something.
Seems ridiculous to have a paid cycling service where you can't use all the content.

I seem to level up pretty quickly just doing the workouts, but yeah there are a few tricks to levelling up fast apparently.

Looking forward to trying the new climb.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
found a gravel trail on my ride today. it had me pondering if i should buy into the hype and get a groad bike or just try to stuff 28 tires on my road bike.
although eventually i'd like to have a proper mountain bike

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Did my first road ride if the year, still with winter tyres. Only 32km but I was pooped at the end because I went too hard. Next week the snow will finally melt so I can start preparing for the 200km ride on 21st.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Destroyed myself today for the first time in a long while after coming back from a lengthy injury.

Misjudged how fresh I was feeling at a few branches in the route which let you make the ride shorter or longer and picked the longer route each time.

Hurts so bad but really rewarding. Nice to know I can push myself and not worry too much about the injury.

Addnan

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, so I am gonna get rid of my Zipp 404 Firecrest 2017, very little usage. Thought I'd ask here if any UK guys would like first go at buying or otherwise i'll stick on ebay or something else.
PM me.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Sadly I'm in the Netherlands but I recon those wheels are a bit above my pricepoint, even 2nd hand. I'm just waiting for the Fulcrum Quattro carbons to be back in stock.

2GwTP0p

Went for a couple of rides myself this weekend. My form after the winter is quite alright.
I probably have to get back to my strength after two weeks with an on and off stomach flu.
Glad to hear you're all back on the bike (after injuries) and enjoying yourselves!

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Still knackered from the weekend ride but going to have a spin on the turbo tonight to see if it sorts me out.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I agree. I don't see why Zwift aren't going bonkers with their theme options.
It's another dreary grey snow climb.
I mean they can literally do anything and this is what they come up with?
They definitely need some more hardcore gamers for inspiration at their concept art team.

Oct 25, 2017
They tried to make it gamified with the count down of hairpins, and it worked a bit, but I felt like by time I reached the top I wanted to never do it again. The ride down was just as bad. Since it's adjacent to the other climb I don' t know why they couldn't link the two up (I did notice two construction spots).

I know they are cross platform, but you do bring up a good point about bad layers. At times it feels very N64-> PS1 in look and it's not a good one for cycling

broony

Oct 27, 2017
I did a bit of it while doing a 50 minute training session so got maybe half way up or so. I didn't mind it, it's going up a hill indoors on a turbo for an hour plus. I think they made that reasonably interesting for what it is. There is always a landmark you are looking at while heading up so you have a temporary goal.

But yeah, they need to be a bit more experimental with what they offer. Dunno if the core user group would want that though, some people seem take zwift pretty seriously. For me it's just a tool when it's not possible to go outside because of real life stuff or weather.

Oct 25, 2017
I did a bit of it while doing a 50 minute training session so got maybe half way up or so. I didn't mind it, it's going up a hill indoors on a turbo for an hour plus. I think they made that reasonably interesting for what it is. There is always a landmark you are looking at while heading up so you have a temporary goal.

But yeah, they need to be a bit more experimental with what they offer. Dunno if the core user group would want that though, some people seem take zwift pretty seriously. For me it's just a tool when it's not possible to go outside because of real life stuff or weather.

It's around the halfway point when the boredom begins to creep in. There's literally barely any landscape change until you get to the final 3 hairpins and then you see satellite dishes

And yeah there is a weird cult quality to Zwift, with some rampant cheating going on. Like when I see a person fly by me up a hill at 3x my speed I know they turned their tension down so they could get that sweet KOM

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Well, we are on a video game forum here.
I'm sure we've all seen examples to know Zwift is sorely lacking in the visual stimulation department.

They could be doing a lot more to keep things fun and visually pleasing along the way. Even with the dreadful engine they're using.

Oct 25, 2017
One of your mountain bikes has a squiggly bar?

Did you drill into the brick or are those suction mounts? Must have been hell if you drilled.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
The shadows in that picture make it look as if you have twice as many bikes, and that they're having some sort of bike orgy.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
One of your mountain bikes has a squiggly bar?

Did you drill into the brick or are those suction mounts? Must have been hell if you drilled.
Drilled, and yeah... it took some time. Worst part is that it's a single layer of brick, so I needed to be REALLY careful with how far I went in.

...and yes, that's a road bike. Notice it's stuck in the corner like the poor relation. :P