• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly the problem with them not doing anything is if it doesn't heal properly for some reason, you'll have issues with it for the rest of your life.

Couple of my ribs are like that. :(

I'm surprised they didn't strap them, they usually oy leave if its only 1 rib and its not causing any issues other than being f'ing uncomfortable due to the break. :(

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I didn't suffer too badly as my cycling shoes are quite stiff so couldn't bend the toe, its the bending of the foot that causes the discomfort, so helped with my form.

I know you've read the nhs advice, but just to save you wandering into a minor injuries or A&E they will just xray check its not any of the bones in the sole and send you away as its really awkward and uncomfortable splinting a toe, for not much real gain.

Yeah it seems that way. Wasn't going to go in. From advice here and in other cycling forums it seems like when I can get a shoe on without too much discomfort I should be good to ride. Annoying though, as supposed to be ramping up my riding for an event in the summer. Will probably need to give it a week or so for the swelling to calm down.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't strap them, they usually oy leave if its only 1 rib and its not causing any issues other than being f'ing uncomfortable due to the break. :(

They don't wrap em anymore because they worry about pneumonia forming due to the restricted breathing

I still get weird twinges on mine where it made contact with the tree.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
broony Just keep a check on the position of the toe. When you're not wearing shoes and you let your foot hang, it shouldn't have any of these positions:

the-difference-mallet-toe-vs-hammer-toe-vs-claw-toe-when-your-toes-stay-bent.jpg

Tendon injuries with stubbed toes are often overlooked.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Added a TrainerRoad program to my calendar today and did the ftp test. Result was bad, but that was expected and the important part is that I'm back at it.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about getting a Indoor trainer, Currentyl looking at a Tacx Vortex that is for sale I think for around 270 euros that should be a good deal. I probably wont need it until november or so, since Im planning to do all my riding outdoors during summer/fall until it gets to cold and wet to commute comfortably. But the deal just looks really good if I wait until I need one I may pay closer to 400 euros for a decent model.

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting a Indoor trainer, Currentyl looking at a Tacx Vortex that is for sale I think for around 270 euros that should be a good deal. I probably wont need it until november or so, since Im planning to do all my riding outdoors during summer/fall until it gets to cold and wet to commute comfortably. But the deal just looks really good if I wait until I need one I may pay closer to 400 euros for a decent model.

Just wait and save. You can get direct drives for fairly cheap now relative to a few years ago. A core is like $600 and I'm sure if you look around used markers you'll find some.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
I had a vortex and was happy enough with it. However as it's a wheel on trainer remember you will possibly destroy tyres so may need to buy a trainer tyre. I ended up buying a cheap wheel and cassette as well and putting the trainer tyre on that so I could swap easily, but obviously that adds to the price.

When I switched to a direct drive trainer (elite direto) I found the vortex had been overestimating my watts by about 10-15% which is fine as any training plans are just relative to the number you put in, but was a bit surprising when doing what I thought were ftp efforts on the new trainer.

Much prefer the direct drive trainer as easier to swap between outside and inside and don't get any of the wheel slip you sometimes get on a wheel on trainer. Quieter too if that matters.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Figured there'd be a thread here for cycling!

I got my wife a Peloton for her birthday. After a couple years of going to Cyclebar, she was disappointed when she couldn't find the time now that we have a baby... she's already used the thing like four times in the last week.

I want to give it a shot, and so I went to a few different local bike shops and nobody has my size shoe. Literally can't even order it online and get a pair within the next month. Online I'm coming up short.

I need a size 50 - preferably a pair that runs a bit wide. I want the twist action close and not velcro. Don't really care what they look like or the brand, as long as they're quality and well reviewed. Any suggestions? Peloton uses 3 hole LOOK DELTA clips.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Tried going on the turbo with my bust toe. Apart from not being able to wear my bike shoes and having to wear a croc on one foot, was fine. Glad to have an alternative for the next week or two.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

I got my wife a Peloton for her birthday. After a couple years of going to Cyclebar, she was disappointed when she couldn't find the time now that we have a baby... she's already used the thing like four times in the last week.

I want to give it a shot, and so I went to a few different local bike shops and nobody has my size shoe. Literally can't even order it online and get a pair within the next month. Online I'm coming up short.

I need a size 50 - preferably a pair that runs a bit wide. I want the twist action close and not velcro. Don't really care what they look like or the brand, as long as they're quality and well reviewed. Any suggestions? Peloton uses 3 hole LOOK DELTA clips.

That's a fairly impressive size!
Lake does cycling shoes in bigger sizes and come with boa straps.

Either the Lake MX237 or Lake CX332 are options with boa straps and big sizes

Lake MX 237

Lake CX 332

Official Lake website

They are both pretty expensive shoes though.

Last edited:

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait and save. You can get direct drives for fairly cheap now relative to a few years ago. A core is like $600 and I'm sure if you look around used markers you'll find some.
I had a vortex and was happy enough with it. However as it's a wheel on trainer remember you will possibly destroy tyres so may need to buy a trainer tyre. I ended up buying a cheap wheel and cassette as well and putting the trainer tyre on that so I could swap easily, but obviously that adds to the price.

When I switched to a direct drive trainer (elite direto) I found the vortex had been overestimating my watts by about 10-15% which is fine as any training plans are just relative to the number you put in, but was a bit surprising when doing what I thought were ftp efforts on the new trainer.

Much prefer the direct drive trainer as easier to swap between outside and inside and don't get any of the wheel slip you sometimes get on a wheel on trainer. Quieter too if that matters.

Thanks for the input, I will probably wait and see what is around in the fall or beginning of winter. Currently all the Kickr and Tacx direct drive trainers around here are 800+ . And I'm not sure i wan't to shell out that much for my first trainer, would need a concrete goal for next year to do that. but yeah ah direct drive trainer would be nice.

I think shimano does shoes in 50, they are spd-sl shoes but Look cleats should fit on them.. For example the Shimano RP5 , but i don't know how they fit.

So got on the MTB the first time this year and crashed, the trail was way muddier then expected and my 2.8 tires don't like that much and they caked up with mud, lost a bit of traction panicked, pressed the brakes hard and as soon as I had traction again i was over the handlebars, at least it was low speed and only hurt my elbow a bit but nothing bad. Still fun being back on the MTB

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to buy an Edge 830 and now they announced the Forerunner 945.€600 though, that's making my decision which to get first pretty hard, ugh.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Managed not to die at Bikepark Wales. Didn't do anything massively technical though, that's going to come over the next few weeks...

broony

Oct 27, 2017
If it helps, I'm totally satisfied with my ELEMNT standard version. Easy to use, customisable and great battery life.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
What's the main difference? The compare tool has it just being a slightly larger screen

Its the dual led setup ala the original elemnt that is calling me as it just makes knowing where you are in particular zones, I currently have my HR on mine but I really would like to have power on show at a glance too.

Color screen is also a bonus as some times navigation on the grey LCD can be a tad confusing in built up areas, and back on track rerouting is a nice feature that was missing.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Its the dual led setup ala the original elemnt that is calling me as it just makes knowing where you are in particular zones, I currently have my HR on mine but I really would like to have power on show at a glance too.

Color screen is also a bonus as some times navigation on the grey LCD can be a tad confusing in built up areas, and back on track rerouting is a nice feature that was missing.

Edge 530 has a color screen, rerouting with full maps and navigate to selected region for $299 too. I just don't feel the appeal of the Roam vs the new 530.

Oct 25, 2017

The color screen would be nice but I barely use 90% of what's built into these. I don't track my power or HR so the leds get their most use when I use the map.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
DC Rainmaker has his review of the Roam up. He definitely finds it lacking compared to the new Garmins. In particular there are 2 significant features that won't be added until a later software update, and he felt in general the feature set seemed a couple of years behind, especially for the higher price. If you haven't seen his reviews before they have an exhaustive amount of detail.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/05/wahoo-element-roam-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Had to get three bikes to running condition from being "put away wet" some time either last year or in the winter.

Man, sometimes I really wish I was just a road biker instead. I don't think I've ever had to spend much more than 20 minutes maintaining that bike.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided on a plan. Going to get the Edge 830 first since a competent bike GPS is the first thing I need, both for navigating around when cycling with the parents (they like to go on leasure trips with the bike to POI) and for creating routes to train. The Forerunner 945 will have to wait, as I still have an old Polar M400 which works for running and swimming in the pool doesn't really need a sports watch in my opinion. Once I'm more into shape and ready to do so triathlon races I can just buy the Forerunner, since it's a better fit for a full event instead all three things seperately. Even bricks I can just do with bike computer and then the watch, just not as convenienttly in one place but shouldn't matter much for the coming months.

broony Just keep a check on the position of the toe. When you're not wearing shoes and you let your foot hang, it shouldn't have any of these positions:

the-difference-mallet-toe-vs-hammer-toe-vs-claw-toe-when-your-toes-stay-bent.jpg

Tendon injuries with stubbed toes are often overlooked.

After wanting to post in this thread I saw this again and when I looked at my own feet all my toes are like that middle one. How fucked am I? :P

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I use a small waterproof speaker tucked into the sidepocket of my bag when i cycle. Don't trust motorists enough to limit my senses too much. Feels like a lot of people are either on their phones whilst they're driving, have no working knowledge of cyclist's rights on the road or just outright hate cyclists. Last near collision was some old cunt pulling out of a T junction as i was passing and the guy had the gall to scream at me despite it being my right of way.

I do get funny looks blasting past pedestrians with Meshuggah pouring out the side of my bag as i go by, though :p

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh... I've lost / misplaced / had stolen a £400 bike light.

I'm really hoping it's one of the first two, but we've had a lot of workmen in the house recently so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter.

Thankfully I don't actually NEED it, but there's always last minute stress when prepping for an event.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
After wanting to post in this thread I saw this again and when I looked at my own feet all my toes are like that middle one. How fucked am I? :P

If they are actually hammer toes the concern in the end is that over a longer period of time, your tendons start to contract. That might cause callusses or corns to form which can be painful in your shoes.
Some people just have more naturally crooked toes though, so might not be an issue at all.
If you can actively stretch your toes you're probably good ;)

Ugh... I've lost / misplaced / had stolen a £400 bike light.

I'm really hoping it's one of the first two, but we've had a lot of workmen in the house recently so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter.

Thankfully I don't actually NEED it, but there's always last minute stress when prepping for an event.

Ouch that sucks... We once had people in our house doing outside paintwork. Had some stuff missing afterwards.
Pretty positive they took it but it's kind of a tough subject to broach... "Hey did you guys take my shit?"

Hope you've just misplaced it for now!

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017

Man that looks nice.

So IQ2 has moved to pedal powermeters, if I had any confidence in them actually delivering a decent product I would pre order the spd pedals, but I don't have much confidence that it will be a decent powermeter in the end.

Getting a bit fed up with my Garmin edge 130, It seems that some routes especially mtb routes just b reak the device and i need to factory reset to get it working again....

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
About numb hands.

So, I think I'm very comfortable with my bike(s) nowadays with the exception of getting numbs hand during high intensity rides. Like in 40 minutes high speed segments or climbs. Any suggestions? I have been thinking on getting more comfortable (carbon) handlebars. I'm looking at carbon since most alloy ones look pretty much the same, but If you can suggest a confy option it would be very appreciated. Thanks!

broony

Oct 27, 2017
About numb hands.

So, I think I'm very comfortable with my bike(s) nowadays with the exception of getting numbs hand during high intensity rides. Like in 40 minutes high speed segments or climbs. Any suggestions? I have been thinking on getting more comfortable (carbon) handlebars. I'm looking at carbon since most alloy ones look pretty much the same, but If you can suggest a confy option it would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Is it possible you are gripping too hard when it gets intense?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
About numb hands.

Depends on what's causing the numb hands.
Carbon won't do much of anything in and of itself; if you're thinking that more suspension will help, you could test the hypothesis by running lower tire pressures before dropping a ton of money on a handlebar.
If the issue is the shape of your bars, then perhaps a carbon bar would help, if the shape you want isn't practical in aluminum. (You can also test changing the grip shape of your bars by doing stuff like running cable housing beneath the wrap).

Sometimes it's a circulatory issue from the palm sinking into padding. If you use padded gloves, you could try riding without them and see if that helps.

Oct 25, 2017
About numb hands.

Are you griping the bar too much? Maybe just try a better bar tape?

I ride glove less or with 0 padding full fingers and rarely get numb, if ever.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I must say is that I have small hands for my height. So it could be an issue of gripping to hard to compensate that? I will try the gloveless on next ride, but I mostly use the gloves to protect my hands from the sun, but they are padded :S

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know any companies that do bibshorts for people without asses?

I have no junk in the trunk, and I've realised that the issues I've got with rubbing at the perinerum is actually because of the pad being too wide / bunching up rather than sweat / saddle issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know any companies that do bibshorts for people without asses?

I have no junk in the trunk, and I've realised that the issues I've got with rubbing at the perinerum is actually because of the pad being too wide / bunching up rather than sweat / saddle issues.

I don't know who makes their chamois, but ornot bibs are really good with this. They're tapered padding and compression fit so they don't feel like diapers.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Lonely1 okay this is 100% my field (cyclist and handtherapist)

Which fingers tend to go numb? Is your thumb, index and middle finger -> median nerve compression.
Is it your pinky and ringfinger -> ulnar nerve compression.

Padding as stated does a lot for these types of compression. They actually add pressure in the wrong places causing poor circulation for the involved nerves.
Besides that the angle at which you're gripping your bars is very important.
You want to be holding your bars with your wrists in as neutral a position.
That means not flexed too far backwards or at an angle. You should be able to draw an imaginary straight line from the knuckle of your middle finger to your lower arm.
Besides that shifting position every so often is important.

If you're unsure how to get your hands to fit to your bars to make all that work, this video does a good job of explaining it: