• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
My plan now is to use it on outside on the small private bit of land we have with the same fans that I used on the gym. Let's see if that works...

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Got an update from my side!
Tumour has been removed from my ankle last week Monday and the doctors could also close up the wound in one go, so I do not need a second surgery!
The joint is now stiff (I think they put in 2 or 3 screws), and I am not to put any force on it for the next 6-8 weeks.

Waiting for results if they got all the tumour out, but the doctor was pretty optimistic, so fingers crossed!

So, I should be able to get outside again in the summer! Looking forward to this.

You guys still doing outside rides even though a lot of places have lockdowns in place? (I would if I could...)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't yet, but I will. Obviously I'll be taking it REALLY fucking easy though, I very much do not want to go anywhere near a hospital right now.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I had my first serious trainer session early today. It was outside in a small pot of private land outside my shared flat following a 1 hour GCN training video. My trainer is this one:

www.feedbacksports.com

Omnium Over-Drive | Feedback Sports | Portable Bike Trainer

The Omnium Over-Drive's fork-mount design keeps the rear wheel on the bike and offers the most realistic ride of any stationary bike trainer available.

It was a bit of a let down at the beginning, but It was a good work out and ended liking it a bit more than the gym bicycle. However, I cannot use my power meter with my setup. I'm ready to write down my GP 5000 tires after this, though. Body temperature was fine since It was outside, there was some wind, and my fans setup trade power for physical closeness and the climate is relative cold. When can I expect Berkshire to get hot? I hope the quarantine is over by then.

Ah, and I did some weight lifting using the trainer while folded. It was a good workout too!

Also, do you think I can still do long rides during weekends?

Stupid virus...

Last edited:

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
I had my first serious trainer session early today. It was outside in a small pot of private land outside my shared flat following a 1 hour GCN training video. My trainer is this one:

www.feedbacksports.com

Omnium Over-Drive | Feedback Sports | Portable Bike Trainer

The Omnium Over-Drive's fork-mount design keeps the rear wheel on the bike and offers the most realistic ride of any stationary bike trainer available.

It was a bit of a let down at the beginning, but It was a good work out and ended liking it a bit more than the gym bicycle. However, I cannot use my power meter with my setup. I'm ready to write down my GP 5000 tires after this, though. Body temperature was fine since It was outside, there was some wind, and my fans setup trade power for physical closeness and the climate is relative cold. When can I expect Berkshire to get hot? I hope the quarantine is over by then.

Ah, and I did some weight lifting using the trainer while folded. It was a good workout too!

Also, do you think I can still do long rides during weekends?

Stupid virus...

By hot I assume you mean warm to a none native? That'll be about June when the natives will be missing it's too hot and in less complicated times be planning to fly to hotter countries... I never understand the British mentality, it's too hot here let's go to x where it's average is double the uk average

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
quite enjoyed getting up 2 hours later going for an hour ride, and still sign in to work for 9 this morning, I may miss this :(

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
:)

7GJjRBH.jpg

:(

bawEsyK.jpg

Very nice! What kind of bike is that?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I stayed home today and tried to do a century on the trainer... Sorry, but doing more than an hour on a fixed setup is a miserable experience. On the other hand, it was a good choice of not going out since the sealant on my back tire was dry and by the end of the season the pressure was about 10psi, which would have been a disaster on the open road.

So glad that I took the advice about staying home. Any tips on how to make the trainer sessions less terrible? Thanks!

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
So, I stayed home today and tried to do a century on the trainer... Sorry, but doing more than an hour on a fixed setup is a miserable experience. On the other hand, it was a good choice of not going out since the sealant on my back tire was dry and by the end of the season the pressure was about 10psi, which would have been a disaster on the open road.

So glad that I took the advice about staying home. Any tips on how to make the trainer sessions less terrible? Thanks!

MTFU

But seriously they are just miserable times, finding a training routine to vary techniques, cadences and power is a good way, of using zwift I tend to hang on people's wheels just to annoy them lol

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You just get used to it to be honest.

On the easier stuff I just watch a film or something. For harder stuff I prefer podcasts.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
A century on a trainer? Ugh..

I don't think I've ever done more than 40K inside.

On another note my Conti 5000s have worn out (After 5000km). Right down to the canvas at some points.
I feel like they worn out fast than the 4000 S II did.
Ordered a pair of Pirelly P Zero Velo's with tan sidewalls.
Heard some good things about them and they look really nice. Thought I'd give something other than Conti a go.
Fingers crossed.

Hitmeneer

Oct 30, 2017
Due to the Italian lockdown, I started using an indoor trainer and I actually like it. On my normal bike I dont have a power meter, so atleast on the trainer I can get some very efficient training done.
Most trainings I do are 1-1,5 hour and after that I am also really exhausted. In the end it is really key to find the right app for you, I really like the tacky motivational stuff of Sufferfest. So far I was a bit disappointed by Zwift, maybe the races are better.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I never got into Zwift. Hard to train properly and sort of mess around / race which is what it encourages you to do.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just tried an "easy" trainer session... was a mistake. Definitely not well yet, still can't breathe properly.

Had to lay down for about 10 mins when I got in the house. :(

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
My county shut down virtually all the trails in the area so pretty boned atm.
Upside is I'm 7mo deep into the hobby and want a full suspension bike lmao (fat good it'll do me atm). Looking at a Canyon Spectral CF 8.0 or an Ibis Ripmo AF

Planned to do a demo of the ripmo before the virus shut down the local businesses so not like I'm rushing but still. The ripmo geometry looks pretty sick and I hear their customer service is top notch. Downside is for the budget I'm looking at, I can get the super barebones NX drive, Guide T Ripmo or a much more decked out Spectral (got to demo one and felt good). Also Spectral would be carbon, currently my hardtail is heavy as fuck so that'd be nice too lmao. I managed to dent the rim a few times by taking rowdy lines. I've managed to take a few demos and borrow some friend's full squish bikes and it's hard to just feel settled on my hardtail now. Even tiny baby rear shocks on old full suspensions feel like a world of difference where you're always planted going down the chunky stuff vs my hardtail that feels like I'm just like I'm just charging through the rough stuff on my rear and my clipless pedals are some of the only things keeping me from getting bucked. At this point I feel like I'm asking for way more than my poor hardtail can manage, its kept me going but I also want (wanted would be more appropriate given how the virus is going) to go mammoth mnt and do the bike park. No clue if we'll ever be able to do that this summer but I know there's no way I'd take a hardtail on that kind of trip. I like my hardtail, but I'm not one of those people sending it down blacks on one on YT.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The DVO suspension on the Ripmo AF is a great deal.

I have a DVO topaz I swap my coil out for on less rough rides and I love it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've done 2 1/2 - 3 hour sessions on the trainer, when you gotta get ready for an early season endurance event you find a way

--

I'm also knee deep in understanding shock set ups as I'm trying to get the rear shock on my Process dialed in. It seems like Fox's measurements are way off in their guide, I'm already 10-15PSI higher than recommended, and I still get a fair amount of bob/power loss out of the rear. Also entirely possible it's just the way the set up is and I wont be able to get something right; comparitvely my friends Yeti feels rock solid but the rear triangle pivots in a totally different manner.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I've been riding trail / DH for nearly a decade and I still don't have a fucking clue. I really need to buy a shockwiz / whatever.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also knee deep in understanding shock set ups as I'm trying to get the rear shock on my Process dialed in. It seems like Fox's measurements are way off in their guide, I'm already 10-15PSI higher than recommended, and I still get a fair amount of bob/power loss out of the rear. Also entirely possible it's just the way the set up is and I wont be able to get something right; comparitvely my friends Yeti feels rock solid but the rear triangle pivots in a totally different manner.

Id only start with the manufactures psi settings to get to the sag recommended and even then I'd only stick there for a few rides.

You want to be using 95% of your travel every ride so I'd aim to get there by changing settings every ride.

Keep a suspension diary. Record you PSI and how the rear/front suspension it felt/rode.

A shockwiz may help on a stock setup but once you fall down the rabbit hole of shock tuning with MRP/RUNT/vorsprung after market upgrades the shockwiz ceases to work. I would not buy one but a lot of bike shops will rent them out. Could be helpful for a baseline.

I wouldnt compare the process to a yeti for how your rear suspension feels thats not very fair. Yeti's setup is one of the best climbing enduro bikes in the game.

The best thing you can do for your suspension is to get it regularly serviced (or do it yourself).I'll service my rear shock 2-3 times a year and my fork 5-10.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The DVO suspension on the Ripmo AF is a great deal.

I have a DVO topaz I swap my coil out for on less rough rides and I love it.

I've heard it's dialed in to feel great, I've never ridden anything nearly as slack as the Ripmo, like I said though the demo day got sent to hell before I got a chance. One day though... Thing is I'm terrified of the idea of buying into this itch and pulling the trigger on something I haven't demo'd then finding out it feels bad on the trail.

Oct 25, 2017
Id only start with the manufactures psi settings to get to the sag recommended and even then I'd only stick there for a few rides.

You want to be using 95% of your travel every ride so I'd aim to get there by changing settings every ride.

Keep a suspension diary. Record you PSI and how the rear/front suspension it felt/rode.

A shockwiz may help on a stock setup but once you fall down the rabbit hole of shock tuning with MRP/RUNT/vorsprung after market upgrades the shockwiz ceases to work. I would not buy one but a lot of bike shops will rent them out. Could be helpful for a baseline.

I wouldnt compare the process to a yeti for how your rear suspension feels thats not very fair. Yeti's setup is one of the best climbing enduro bikes in the game.

The best thing you can do for your suspension is to get it regularly serviced (or do it yourself).I'll service my rear shock 2-3 times a year and my fork 5-10.

I started with Fox's recommendations and that's how I ended up being in the spot I am. They said to do it based on your weight and I measured correctly I'm over 30% sag (20-30 is the rec range) and i seem to be bottoming out the shock often. When I did a bunch of reading of other peoples experience with Fox set ups it seems universally they all have to go over the recommendation.

I only used Yeti as an example of something I was working against, but youre right. It's not fair to compare. I think a lot of it is this is my first full suspension and the more time I'm spending on the bike the more I'm beginning to notice how it's all linking together. I need to just dedicate a day riding a trail loop with a pump on me.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Took me like 2 months to get dialed in proper with even my entry level hardtail front shock, I had the shop set it up initially and I think they misheard when I mentioned my weight. It's a midlevel suntour shock so it's not impressive, but having it set with way too high a PSI when I started out made it feel almost like a full rigid bike. Wasn't till a friend who is about my weight/height just took it for a spin and asked why the fuck the front was so god damn unresponsive. Much better since but it's still nothing to write home about. Very excited for the new bike (whenever I finally get it and get to ride) to actually get to tinker with a real set of suspension.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, you're better off getting the pedal based ones because of oddities in the construction of the crank arms.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There is actually a way of doing it, but more to the point, power meters are no-where near as important for CX / MTB.

If you really care that much about it then get a bottom bracket based one, or a hub based one. I really don't know why you would though.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just a bit frustrated that I cannot use my power meter on the trainer and that given the logistics of my setup, I have to move the trainer after every session so virtual power would change all the time. And I like to be able to walk, so Look style cleats are a no go for me.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh, many pro tour teams are still using crank arm based Shimano... it's not 100% accurate, but it'll still be far, far more accurate than virtual power.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Might be nearing the time to call 111 for me. I've been avoiding the fact that this is probably a blood clot (again), but I don't think I can avoid it any longer. Definitely not getting any better.

Will see how I feel in the morning. Of course, will probably go for a test, it'll be some sort of tear (fuck knows how, I've not been exercising) and catch COVID-19 anyway.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Might be nearing the time to call 111 for me. I've been avoiding the fact that this is probably a blood clot (again), but I don't think I can avoid it any longer. Definitely not getting any better.

Will see how I feel in the morning. Of course, will probably go for a test, it'll be some sort of tear (fuck knows how, I've not been exercising) and catch COVID-19 anyway.
Good luck. If you think you need medical help, get medical help. I'm sure medical facilities are taking every precaution they can.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm still very much in two minds about it. It's not feeling as bad today, but I guess that's because I've not really done much more than walking up and down some stairs so far.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just a bit frustrated that I cannot use my power meter on the trainer and that given the logistics of my setup, I have to move the trainer after every session so virtual power would change all the time. And I like to be able to walk, so Look style cleats are a no go for me.
Here you go... you can have a fancy oval chainring too!

cyclingtips.com

Rotor reveals new 1x13 TT group, carbon cranks and budget-friendly power meter - CyclingTips

The annual Sea Otter Classic trade show unfortunately isn’t happening as usual this month, so to fill the gaping tech news void left in its wake, we went ahead and put together our own virtual event, which we’ve playfully dubbed … Pond Beaver 2020! We’ve gathered up a mountain of tech...

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The rotor one looks cool, but I have yet to find an answer to: Would I need to change my bottom bracket? Since looks like I would need a new crank set.

I have been thinking, If the left side is going to be crocked, might as well go for a left side only power meter. What do you guys think?

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, my state just closed down county and state parks. Looks like I'll be hanging up the mountain bike sooner than I thought.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Finding it hard to ride and avoid people. The local gravel paths are full of dog walkers and families, the quiet lanes have dickheads racing their shit cars. Best places have been suburban roads but they are dull to ride on.