• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a 52hr migraine so far this weekend so being on the bike has been out of reach :(

Have replaced the brakes for the new ones I bought last year but couldn't find the time, cables and chain so not totally wasted time.

Get well soon mate. I know how bad those get, i usually get hit with a bout every so often and it makes everything a ballache. Here's hoping the weather holds for you.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Planning on getting myself a bike soon and taking up cycling to help lose some weight.

I was looking elsewhere and the suggestion for let's say, "larger folk" 😜, are hybrid bikes so you get the suspension and slightly larger wheels. Does that sound right to you guys?

Depends on what you are really looking for, hybrids tend to be a middle ground between road and mtb with some using road style geometry but mtb style flat bars, to more mtb style with front suspension but tires in between mtb and road.

Get well soon mate. I know how bad those get, i usually get hit with a bout every so often and it makes everything a ballache. Here's hoping the weather holds for you.

Thanks it'll right itself eventually :/

I'm quite lucky in that I'm only a fair weather rider on my Defy. The ribble and carrera have seen the worst the UK has to offer lol. I wish id had my phone for the ride where the carrera just ended up a lump of mud lol

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Depends on what you are really looking for, hybrids tend to be a middle ground between road and mtb with some using road style geometry but mtb style flat bars, to more mtb style with front suspension but tires in between mtb and road.

I'm mostly going to be riding on roads, some quite hilly but it's been years since I've ridden a bike and even back then I just had a bog standard mountain bike so I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly going to be riding on roads, some quite hilly but it's been years since I've ridden a bike and even back then I just had a bog standard mountain bike so I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Then I advise going to a few stores and find something that is comfy to you... Its like buying a car find something you're happy with. Most stores will allow a test ride, a few LBS around here even do weekend loans for trialing a bike.

Just for reference my most expensive bike is $2500usd, I picked up my daily driver off eBay after seeing an ad and asking if I could see it. I bought it straight after test riding for $200usd, if you just look at specs the cheap one wasn't a good buy, but I've racked up 2700km on it as its comfy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Then I advise going to a few stores and find something that is comfy to you... Its like buying a car find something you're happy with. Most stores will allow a test ride, a few LBS around here even do weekend loans for trialing a bike.

Just for reference my most expensive bike is $2500usd, I picked up my daily driver off eBay after seeing an ad and asking if I could see it. I bought it straight after test riding for $200usd, if you just look at specs the cheap one wasn't a good buy, but I've racked up 2700km on it as its comfy.

Yeah I've got a free bike from my Dad appearing at some point so I'll probably ride that for a bit to get used to everything again and then go get some advice to pick up something that'll keep me going in the long run.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Giant, and I believe it's a Defy 3. Not crawling through the snow to the shed to confirm :D

Tbh not much up with that bike... Only improvements will probably be disc brakes and depending on what you're spending a better chainset as I think that shipped with the tiagra. And obviously a carbon frame. Seems like spending money to spend money.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
It's a Giant, and I believe it's a Defy 3. Not crawling through the snow to the shed to confirm :D

Seems like a nice enough bike but I don't know how serious of a rider you are.

TBH I'm not entirely shocked by the $100 price to tune the bike. If you want to save money, you can always go on Youtube and look up some tutorials. Or join a local bike co-op.

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking it might be time to replace my old bike, because the shop quoted me almost $100 in service due this year (new tires, tune up, ect) I could probably get $200 on a trade for it, no reason to not drop a few extra hundred to jump into a nicer newer bike then right?

$100 is the typical rate for full tune ups where I'm at. This will involve brake check & adjustment, tire inspection & replacemnet if needed (and tubes), chain inspection & replacement, derailleur adjustments, and general once over + time.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I'm back to training. Ended up doing two hours of sufferfest fasted earlier because I had to go to a family party straight after the training. Was rough. lol

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cheers. Hopefully I can stick with it (as in, hopefully real life fucks off for a bit) as I've got a long road back.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Went for the first couple of rides with my new race bike the past week, mainly to adjust the saddle position and make sure my shoe plates are set up correctly. Slowly preparing to train again after having not ridden for years (I went swimming/running before). The thing is a beast for sure, easily able to ride around 30 kmh at a tepid pace and able to pull 35+ on my own easily for a small time, granted this was for a flat 35 km trip, so longer rides will likely be a bit slower, but I'm really enjoying cycling again.

Only need to buy a new (and more stylish) helmet, and to decide whether I should spend that €15 extra on MIPS or not. I guess it can't hurt and that my brains are worth more than the money.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still a bit unsure about MIPS. If you can get a MIPS version of a helmet without having to pay too much extra, then I'd go for it, but personally I'd rather have a great non-MIPS lid than a good MIPS one.

Mind you, they don't do a MIPS version of my chosen lid (Kask Mojito), so for me it's a bit moot anyway :)

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a bit unsure about MIPS. If you can get a MIPS version of a helmet without having to pay too much extra, then I'd go for it, but personally I'd rather have a great non-MIPS lid than a good MIPS one.

Mind you, they don't do a MIPS version of my chosen lid (Kask Mojito), so for me it's a bit moot anyway :)

Currently looking at Giro Syntax, comes in both MIPS and non-MIPS. The difference when shopping online is about €15. Can't really hurt I guess?

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Not been taking many photos lately, been busy working on fitness levels but had a more leisurely 60 miler today and took a grand total of one photo, because it can't be too leisurely, that'd just be silly. Used the heavy Winter bike, complete with mudguards even though it was nice. Makes things more difficult.

a8UYfQ5.jpg

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Right took my bike in, looks like the front derailleur caught the chain ring and bent slightly. Had it adjusted, but getting some minor chain rub on the inside edge of the derailleur when using the lower gears. Can I adjust the position with the barrel adjusters? Man i used to be able to do all of this shit as a kid :o

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Right took my bike in, looks like the front derailleur caught the chain ring and bent slightly. Had it adjusted, but getting some minor chain rub on the inside edge of the derailleur when using the lower gears. Can I adjust the position with the barrel adjusters? Man i used to be able to do all of this shit as a kid :o

Yes you can! Give that a try.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can! Give that a try.

Had a go, barrel adjuster is quite stiff and doesn't turn more than half a rotation to loosen the cable.

Tbh I'm getting rattle with the bike hanging loose, when actually riding and putting load through I'm not hearing anything, and noises do my nut in lol. It will do for the time being.

Ordered a new part on Amazon anyway. 13 quid for the exact part, will book a service too and have it sorted at the same time.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Currently looking at Giro Syntax, comes in both MIPS and non-MIPS. The difference when shopping online is about €15. Can't really hurt I guess?
Yeah, if you're set on the Syntax then I'd probably chuck in an extra €15 for the MIPS version (all else being equal, in terms of colours and sizes available for both). How much is the non-MIPS version, about €80?

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
25 miles with no real issues, there's some minor rub but it's not loud. Man nice to get out again, over the winter it was cycle to football or cycle to the gym, nothing more. Became a huge pussy compared to last year, where i rode in torrential conditions, 4C temps etc lol and enjoyed it.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
25 miles with no real issues, there's some minor rub but it's not loud. Man nice to get out again, over the winter it was cycle to football or cycle to the gym, nothing more. Became a huge pussy compared to last year, where i rode in torrential conditions, 4C temps etc lol and enjoyed it.

I gave up riding in the rain this year, new house doesn't have an area to strip off when soaked to the bone without making a mess of the house and the shit from the wife just isn't worth it.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
It's been raining for weeks it seems. Finally said screw it and went and looked at bikes last Friday even though I couldn't test drive them.

Salsa journeyman Sora.. I love this bike.. It was the first gravel bike I found and I just can't wait to ride it. Compared to the other 2 I'm checking out, it's brakes aren't as good, it still uses QR, or compare to the giant toughroad it's components are of lesser quality. It just feels like this is the only bike I want..but I'm worried my infactuation is leading me to get the less superior bike

Cannondale Topstone sora.not much to say great looking bike. Cheaper then the salsa and I like the drop down bar flair.

Giant toughroad .This bike is ugly as sin. But it's last year's model so with a discount it's 50 more then the salsa but comes with tubeless tires, Tiagra instead of Sora, and Giants quasi hydraulic break system. If this bike looked halfway descent it would be a no brainier.

Also just found a jamis LBS so might check out the renegade expat.

If weather holds up, I'll be able to ride all 3 Friday and hopefully have a new bike by next week!

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it works out for you. I fretted over my current bike for a week or so before pulling the trigger on it, couldn't be happier with the year i've had it. It's only an entry-level hardtail MTB (2017 Saracen Mantra) but i've barely had to fuck about with anything outside of cable tension, and lockout front suspension has been a godsend for the 40% of my cycle time spent on roads.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
It's been raining for weeks it seems. Finally said screw it and went and looked at bikes last Friday even though I couldn't test drive them.

Salsa journeyman Sora.. I love this bike.. It was the first gravel bike I found and I just can't wait to ride it. Compared to the other 2 I'm checking out, it's brakes aren't as good, it still uses QR, or compare to the giant toughroad it's components are of lesser quality. It just feels like this is the only bike I want..but I'm worried my infactuation is leading me to get the less superior bike

Cannondale Topstone sora.not much to say great looking bike. Cheaper then the salsa and I like the drop down bar flair.

Giant toughroad .This bike is ugly as sin. But it's last year's model so with a discount it's 50 more then the salsa but comes with tubeless tires, Tiagra instead of Sora, and Giants quasi hydraulic break system. If this bike looked halfway descent it would be a no brainier.

Also just found a jamis LBS so might check out the renegade expat.

If weather holds up, I'll be able to ride all 3 Friday and hopefully have a new bike by next week!

See if you were talking about the Giant Anyroad, we'd be in agreement, that thing is heinous, but the tough road GX1? With the seat stays continuing on to the top tube which should add rigidity it would be my choice.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you're set on the Syntax then I'd probably chuck in an extra €15 for the MIPS version (all else being equal, in terms of colours and sizes available for both). How much is the non-MIPS version, about €80?

Non MIPS is €90, MIPS is €105. Ain't too bad all in all, and more expensive options are already above €150. There's even more option in MIPS iirc, but I'm just going for a plain black one.

Also I installed a new wider saddle and my god this actually supports my butt. I'm rather lean, but I guess being tall and having slightly wider hips on average does make your sitbones a bit wider. It's already helping me taking on a better position on the bike, so that's something at least.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
See if you were talking about the Giant Anyroad, we'd be in agreement, that thing is heinous, but the tough road GX1? With the seat stays continuing on to the top tube which should add rigidity it would be my choice.

Can you keep on telling me how it's good looking? I know its the better value just stuck on the salsa. Also do you think the bikes proprietary "hydraulic brakes" are something to be concerned about? I'm not mechanically inclined and would be worried that it's just something that I'd be SOL if something goes wrong while I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Can you keep on telling me how it's good looking? I know its the better value just stuck on the salsa. Also do you think the bikes proprietary "hydraulic brakes" are something to be concerned about? I'm not mechanically inclined and would be worried that it's just something that I'd be SOL if something goes wrong while I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Tbh it should come down to how comfortable you feel on the bike, having just bought a new car and been completely disappointed by the car I'd had my eye on for a while now I can honestly say try before you buy.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It was like pea soup out there today, could barely see a thing, which means cars could barely see cyclists. Never good. Strong 40mph+ winds for the weekend too, I guess Winter is back with a vengeance.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
The BBC have a programme on iPlayer from today about Kristina Vogel, presented by Chris Hoy. There's also a really good article on the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47336544

She sounds like an amazing person.

I worked in a paraplegia rehabilitation center in the past.
It grueling but also inspiring to help people get a little bit of a grip back on their daily lives.
It's a recognizable story. Good read.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Training getting hard now. Looking forward to getting back out on the actual bike now though, which is good... because previously I was dreading it because of all the fitness I'd lost.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I traveled a few times with a dahon folding bike and I loved the freedom and simplicity of it but I missed having a "real" bike and the Montagues seemed heavy and got mixed reviews. So I've always been on the lookout for the "ideal" folding bike. Well I just bought one of these :

gvOMyTU.jpg

Aluminum frame, carbon forks,Shimano components and it uses standard parts. The only proprietary bits are the frame for folding and a stem and pedal adapters that let you fold flush and simply remove the pedals with a spring lever.

Total weight is about 24 pounds and it's lighter than my dahon.

Folding from full assembly all the way into the free carry sack takes thirty seconds and the front wheel clips onto a special notch in the frame for travel. Hub and fork have little protectors.

Here's a dude putting it in its bag.

I've only done test rides but it is perfect. No compromises. There's a little custom seat post bag for the removed pedals but I'm gonna use my Shimano spds.

There's a few models including road, hardtail mtb and rugged hybrid. Disc brakes throughout and fox shocks on the Mtb.

I'm kind of amazed and if it works I'm taking my bike on every work and vacation flight that makes sense starting with palm springs today. Alaska lets you check bagged or boxed bikes for free. I pad the frame with included foam bumpers and protect the hub and discs with my helmet and soft gear.

Will report back after about 50 miles.

Here's the unboxing but mine came road and bag prepped. The shipping cardboard box doubles as a bike box for travel if you're scared to trust it to the bag.

The hinge mechanism is very simple. I think the dude in the video is showing it all in detail but it just naturally folds closed. The hinge is also the only one to meet a more stringent European safety and strength standard.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do I dare to ask the price? :P

I'm on a plane and just watched them toss it into the hold like it was a couch being chucked into the Death Star trash compactor. So I will reserve that number until I see if it's a folding bike or a sack of bike components when we land. But based on a similarly specified aluminum bike with carbon forks and the components and extras - I'd say I'm paying two to three hundred for the folding function.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a plane and just watched them toss it into the hold like it was a couch being chucked into the Death Star trash compactor. So I will reserve that number until I see if it's a folding bike or a sack of bike components when we land. But based on a similarly specified aluminum bike with carbon forks and the components and extras - I'd say I'm paying two to three hundred for the folding function.

That's fair. I'm not sure I'd fully trust it as I'd my race bike, but all in all it looks to be a pretty stiff but convenient folding bike.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. I'm not sure I'd fully trust it as I'd my race bike, but all in all it looks to be a pretty stiff but convenient folding bike.

This particular one would be fantastic for tours, centuries and even light rolling trails - but no you wouldn't race this model because of the geometry and wheels but you can add drop bars, or any standard component but they have (hardtail) MTB, road and 700C configurations too. And 24 pounds fully loaded puts it in the range of some aluminum and plenty of steel road bikes. I'm interested to stress test it and see where the compromises come in. The dealer - flatbike.com does a bunch of customizations at the manufacturer factory inTaiwan including some carbon scuff tape and a few transit protection and folding enhancements (like the pedal pouch and the folding stem) and the personal support is off the hook.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
This particular one would be fantastic for tours, centuries and even light rolling trails - but no you wouldn't race this model because of the geometry and wheels but you can add drop bars, or any standard component but they have (hardtail) MTB, road and 700C configurations too. And 24 pounds fully loaded puts it in the range of some aluminum and plenty of steel road bikes. I'm interested to stress test it and see where the compromises come in. The dealer - flatbike.com does a bunch of customizations at the manufacturer factory inTaiwan including some carbon scuff tape and a few transit protection and folding enhancements (like the pedal pouch and the folding stem) and the personal support is off the hook.

Yeah I don't think you can expect a performance similar to a $2K race bike, as long as it doesn't feel wobbly like other folding bikes do when you put decent power on the pedals it should be good. But I'm the kind that would put his city bike even under some pressure, and I even obliterated an old loaner city bike's single rear sprocket on a flat road. It shattered into seven pieces and the fall following it wasn't nice. I'd want to have some trust in the bike I ride.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The joins they use on these bikes are stronger than the surrounding framesets. I've seen them tested on numerous bespoke bikes.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think you can expect a performance similar to a $2K race bike, as long as it doesn't feel wobbly like other folding bikes do when you put decent power on the pedals it should be good. But I'm the kind that would put his city bike even under some pressure, and I even obliterated an old loaner city bike's single rear sprocket on a flat road. It shattered into seven pieces and the fall following it wasn't nice. I'd want to have some trust in the bike I ride.

Lol race bike? Of course not. This setup is a hybrid /touring bike. It's rock solid. Anything you can do on a 24 pound aluminum and carbon bike with these wheels, geometry and components - you can do on this. The folding hinge takes all the forces down through the vertical so there are no shear or lateral flexes.

As Psychotext notes this hinge setup has passed really stringent European strength tests. So on average it's going to be vastly less prone to catastrophic failure than a lot of eye watering carbon bikes and apparently scores in line with normal aluminum frames.

It's a thirty speed Shimano setup with normal ratios so on a flat surface I've been cruising between 17-20mph but I haven't tried really opening up yet.

Still I'm positive there'll be some drawback but still trying to find it.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Lol race bike? Of course not. This setup is a hybrid /touring bike. It's rock solid. Anything you can do on a 24 pound aluminum and carbon bike with these wheels, geometry and components - you can do on this. The folding hinge takes all the forces down through the vertical so there are no shear or lateral flexes.

As Psychotext notes this hinge setup has passed really stringent European strength tests. So on average it's going to be vastly less prone to catastrophic failure than a lot of eye watering carbon bikes and apparently scores in line with normal aluminum frames.

It's a thirty speed Shimano setup with normal ratios so on a flat surface I've been cruising between 17-20mph but I haven't tried really opening up yet.

Still I'm positive there'll be some drawback but still trying to find it.

I looked at the website and it's marketed a bit as a race bike. Like the European norm it's passed is used as a standard for normal non-competition race bikes. But for $1200 you can't expect too much out of it. 20 mph is already a very decent speed, like I don't really expect this thing to be able to hit 30 mph, but going 18 with some city bikes is already ehh...

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I looked at the website and it's marketed a bit as a race bike. Like the European norm it's passed is used as a standard for normal non-competition race bikes. But for $1200 you can't expect too much out of it. 20 mph is already a very decent speed, like I don't really expect this thing to be able to hit 30 mph, but going 18 with some city bikes is already ehh...

It can definitely do 30mph on a flat if you have the quads for it. I got to 26 today on a tarmac sprint without bursting a blood vessel and I'm old and out of shape. It's fitted with quasi slick but fat tires. On a narrower set (which those Mavics will happily accept) you'd get significant gains - and with drop bars, a little more still just from aerodynamics.

When I get home, I'm putting a set of gravel road tires on it because I want it to be a bit more multipurpose, but this trip was a great way to check it out from home to airport to destination. On that score it's fantastic - the folding process and unfolding is all tool free and takes about the same 60 seconds as a Dahon or Tern. TSa rummaged through the bag because I put sleeping bags in with it for the trip - but they were also handy padding over the discs and hub.

Even reductively, if you spent the same amount on a focused, purpose built road bike or racing bike, you'd probably get at LEAST two or three hundred dollars more bike - which could mean a serious component level upgrade, or even a cheap carbon frame. If you don't want to travel with it, or have serious space constraints at your home, this is not really a sensible consideration.

But again, if you can ride a bespoke, purpose built bike of the same weight and geometry and configuration at xx mph, there's nothing about the latch mechanism that will affect your ability to approach or match those speeds. I assume there are geometry issues (good or bad) that will make a bigger difference on the MTB versions and it has a slightly lower stem/crossbar that reminds me of GT's old geometry.

They have four main styles - a "rugged hybrid" which is what I have - a hardtail MTB with Fox front shocks, a 700C (what I'd call a) hybrid and there is a race configuration of that and the hybrid, but it would make no sense for a serious racer - it's very strictly targeted at people who have space limitations in their house, or people who want to travel with a "real" bike - or people who want a folding bike that can be fitted and customized with standard components. Even bottle cages fit on it, which was surprising given the placement of the folding mechanism.

I have a Cannondale Quick 2 Carbon as my main road bike, and a newer Trek hardtail for trails and the wilderness, and this Change bike can't really match them, but it's not supposed to. But there are probably a lot of "serious" cyclists who could use something like this at a logistics level as a trainer/vacation/commute solution. But for my very specifc needs - this has way exceeded my expectations so far. Doing a 50 mile loop tomorrow and some more tooling around on dirt this evening when I finish some work stuff. One other very specific solve this has for me is road trips where our family takes three bikes - I have a tow hitch bike rack that's supposed to take three bikes, but it's kind of a Jenga problem with the smaller frame on my daughter's - so we sometimes take my folding bike and just mount their two on the hitch. This just lets me take a "proper" bike in the trunk of a small sedan without disassembling it.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good travelling bike then. And a good price all things considered. I've seen plenty of folding bikes that are floppy but still expensive. I guess the semi-triangle shapes does help a lot for overal structure of the bike.