• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm doing a longer ride this year and I'm thinking me recording it on strava with my phone isn't going to work seeing as it'll take me about 14 hours to complete.

Any recommendations for a bike computer? Would they have enough battery time?

For a ride that long, wahoo elemnt bolt is probably your best bet. But that's even pushing the manufacturers expected battery life.

An easy solution is a small top tube pouch and a decent capacity usb power bank. I used to mount my phone to my bars and used this method so I never had to worry about running out of battery, and I can still use it with the bolt if needed. There are also slightly larger top tube mounts that will include a waterproof spot for your phone, which might be good for a long ride like that.

The Garmin Edge 520 is another popular model at a decent price that has a color screen as well. Battery life is reported to sometimes be way off the manufacturer specs, but if you're using a backup power source it doesn't matter as much.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
First TT of the year in an hour & keep changing what i'm wearing. It's cold, but sunny, threatening to rain on the forecast but cant see rain clouds. Gonna dress for Summer with aero and hope for the best.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
First TT of the year in an hour & keep changing what i'm wearing. It's cold, but sunny, threatening to rain on the forecast but cant see rain clouds. Gonna dress for Summer with aero and hope for the best.

Hope your TT went well and you found the right clothes.

Had my first ride on my new Bike a Cannondale Topstone 105. Nice thing is it's still one of the bikes that have Ultegra brakes and levers on it instead of 105. Getting used to 2x drivetrains again and drop bars. Will probably get some less knoby tires for my commute since the offroad parts are relatively smooth. Thinking about the Schwalbe G one or the Panaracer Gravel King. Like the ride quality that 40c tires give you and in comparison to the 35c Touring tires on my quick the difference isn't all that big I feel.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Took me so long to find this OT. Remember some of yall from the old site.

Im out in Colorado, doing mostly mountain biking. Here are my rigs:

SC Chameleon 2019
IMG_20190327_180707.jpg

Guerilla Gravity Smash 2018
0BvHFhoh.jpg

Bringing the GG to Madeira in 2 weeks, so psyched!!!!

Oct 25, 2017

SC Chameleon 2019
IMG_20190327_180707.jpg

0BvHFhoh.jpg

My local shop just built up a SS Chamelon. Was tempted to borrow it but knowing my legs I'd gas out super fast on a SS

Oct 27, 2017
For a ride that long, wahoo elemnt bolt is probably your best bet. But that's even pushing the manufacturers expected battery life.

An easy solution is a small top tube pouch and a decent capacity usb power bank. I used to mount my phone to my bars and used this method so I never had to worry about running out of battery, and I can still use it with the bolt if needed. There are also slightly larger top tube mounts that will include a waterproof spot for your phone, which might be good for a long ride like that.

The Garmin Edge 520 is another popular model at a decent price that has a color screen as well. Battery life is reported to sometimes be way off the manufacturer specs, but if you're using a backup power source it doesn't matter as much.

After thinking about it a bit I've just decided to try using a portable battery changer for my phone. I usually just keep it in my back pocket anyway so it'll just be a bit more back there.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here that has a multisport watch? After reading a bajillion reviews I still don't know what's my best option. I was first interested in just buying an Edge 520+ for the routes, but then I thought I'd be better off with something I can use in the pool and during running to eventually use to train for triathlon. But not sure if I really need the mapping/routing options. Fenix 5+ seems my best best bet but it's also crazy expensive. And for cheaper options I can't make sense if it matters to go for the Forerunner 935 or the Vantage V. Feels like the Polar will have some support for a while as it's more recent and their flagship model. The F935 is two years old already and I don't know how long proper support lasts for these things. But the F935 has the added benefit of being easily mounted on your bike handlebar. So is it eventually worth it to shell out the money for a Fenix 5+ (and speed/cadence sensors)?

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here that has a multisport watch? After reading a bajillion reviews I still don't know what's my best option. I was first interested in just buying an Edge 520+ for the routes, but then I thought I'd be better off with something I can use in the pool and during running to eventually use to train for triathlon. But not sure if I really need the mapping/routing options. Fenix 5+ seems my best best bet but it's also crazy expensive. And for cheaper options I can't make sense if it matters to go for the Forerunner 935 or the Vantage V. Feels like the Polar will have some support for a while as it's more recent and their flagship model. The F935 is two years old already and I don't know how long proper support lasts for these things. But the F935 has the added benefit of being easily mounted on your bike handlebar. So is it eventually worth it to shell out the money for a Fenix 5+ (and speed/cadence sensors)?

I have the Fenix 5... For training on the bike I struggled, the bike mount annoyed me. And the screen was awkward to glance at what you are tracking if you have more than 2 fields when cycling so you have to flick screens.

I actually kind of regret getting the bolt over the elemnt as the LED heart rate and power is really easy to glance at so having the option for both would suit me.

The Fenix does do a lot of cool things for running with the correct HRM which when I was running was useful.

Speaking of useful... I'm thinking I should probably suck it up and take another FTP test...

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SC Chameleon 2019
IMG_20190327_180707.jpg

0BvHFhoh.jpg

I freaking love a hard tail. I got yelled at once for recommending it as a beginner trail bike to a total neophyte. My point was that locking front shocks are more than enough for gentle rolling dirt and gravel and that it's a more efficient forgiving bike on pavement for multiuse - but I actually like them on "real" hills too because they're more predictable for a scrub like me. I know instinctively how to throw the tail around for control and full suspension is a big jump in feel for me.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I freaking love a hard tail. I got yelled at once for recommending it as a beginner trail bike to a total neophyte. My point was that locking front shocks are more than enough for gentle rolling dirt and gravel and that it's a more efficient forgiving bike on pavement for multiuse - but I actually like them on "real" hills too because they're more predictable for a scrub like me. I know instinctively how to throw the tail around for control and full suspension is a big jump in feel for me.

Yeah the HT is pretty twitchy, a lot of that comes from the super short seat stays. The top tube is about as long as the GG but the HT isnt as slack so its a similar fit with a different feel.

They are very different bikes though. The GG is front and rear coil suspension so its just a point and shoot. The steeper/chunkier the trail the better it feels.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
So I did the touristy thing and rode the Golden Gate Bridge, then my missus and I took it a little further, and cycled to / back from Muir Woods. Burned myself to a crisp in the process as what was supposed to be a cool cloudy day turned into a scorcher.

Fuck me, those were some hills just before / after the woods. Bless her, my missus was fucking awesome aside from starting off (when we wobbled all over the place!).

Tandemming is much harder than I thought it would be, but it was nice to feel that we were both putting in as much as we could, and I could really tell when she was surging to help us get over a steep bit. It made the whole thing much more fun than it would have been if we were on individual bikes.

On SF in general, I'd love to go back to attack some of those hills on a road bike. Could be a laugh even trying to get up some of them!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I did the touristy thing and rode the Golden Gate Bridge, then my missus and I took it a little further, and cycled to / back from Muir Woods. Burned myself to a crisp in the process as what was supposed to be a cool cloudy day turned into a scorcher.

Fuck me, those were some hills just before / after the woods. Bless her, my missus was fucking awesome aside from starting off (when we wobbled all over the place!).

Tandemming is much harder than I thought it would be, but it was nice to feel that we were both putting in as much as we could, and I could really tell when she was surging to help us get over a steep bit. It made the whole thing much more fun than it would have been if we were on individual bikes.

On SF in general, I'd love to go back to attack some of those hills on a road bike. Could be a laugh even trying to get up some of them!

I LOVE that ride. When I trained for the AIDS ride I did that ride from Noe Valley to the very top of Mount Tam (where the paved road ends past all the amazing rich people cottages on the wooded slopes) and I did it as a 60 mile loop going basically through the Mission and Soma to the bay Bridge and along the bay to golden Gate Bridge and then mount Tam via Sausalito and into mill valley - the wind coming back up "Hurricane Gulch" understates that nickname. It's brutal. The good news was that on the AIDS ride the hills were now babby hills to my quads. Those were the days..

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it was a lovely ride on the whole. Drivers seemed to be surprisingly courteous too, which is new to me for US riding.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Was a refreshing change, and most welcome as my wife isn't used to being skimmed by passing cars like I am.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Been mixing my cycling up with some runs home from work. I've been gaining power much more quickly than in the pass. However, I've only got time for 45 minute rides on the weekend now so my dreams of hitting a 50 mile ride over the summer is likely gone for now. Hoping I don't hit a wall with riding, as there are only so many places to get to in 45 minutes.

Finally bought some cycling gloves, and they've made life so much nicer.

Yeah, it was a lovely ride on the whole. Drivers seemed to be surprisingly courteous too, which is new to me for US riding.

That is surprising, but nice to hear!

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Fenix 5... For training on the bike I struggled, the bike mount annoyed me. And the screen was awkward to glance at what you are tracking if you have more than 2 fields when cycling so you have to flick screens.

I actually kind of regret getting the bolt over the elemnt as the LED heart rate and power is really easy to glance at so having the option for both would suit me.

The Fenix does do a lot of cool things for running with the correct HRM which when I was running was useful.

Speaking of useful... I'm thinking I should probably suck it up and take another FTP test...

Tested out some stuff in the store. The Vantage V is out of the equation, when compared the Forerunner the interface isn't as clear and it doesn't offer a lot of advantages, while being the same price.

It's mainly between the F935 and the Fenix 5+ now, the Fenix does have cool maps for hiking (less needed for cycling I feel since I'd make routes beforehand) but doesn't have the quickchange feature. And yeah the screen is pretty small so I don't know if it's that easy on the bike mount. But the Edge 520 doesn't have that big of a screen either (albeit a fair share larger) and losing out on running/swimming is a big deal. The 1030 was nice to fiddle with, but again very expensive for just one sport. So I think I'll go with the Fenix 5+ closer to summer. The extra sensors will cost a bit too though.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Tested out some stuff in the store. The Vantage V is out of the equation, when compared the Forerunner the interface isn't as clear and it doesn't offer a lot of advantages, while being the same price.

It's mainly between the F935 and the Fenix 5+ now, the Fenix does have cool maps for hiking (less needed for cycling I feel since I'd make routes beforehand) but doesn't have the quickchange feature. And yeah the screen is pretty small so I don't know if it's that easy on the bike mount. But the Edge 520 doesn't have that big of a screen either (albeit a fair share larger) and losing out on running/swimming is a big deal. The 1030 was nice to fiddle with, but again very expensive for just one sport. So I think I'll go with the Fenix 5+ closer to summer. The extra sensors will cost a bit too though.

Hmm i thought I upgraded to the Fenix 5 but can only find my 3...

But here's a display comparison vs my Bolt.

F98-D56-EF-3-C83-4-A90-ACF9-19-F1-A5-E40-F40.jpg

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm i thought I upgraded to the Fenix 5 but can only find my 3...

But here's a display comparison vs my Bolt.

F98-D56-EF-3-C83-4-A90-ACF9-19-F1-A5-E40-F40.jpg

Yeah a bike computer can show everything at the same time more easily. But for me it will be more important to just reach a zone and try to keep it there, instead of continuously number crunching everything. The environment is equally important when cycling! AFAIK the Fenix should also have sound notifications when you reach a certain HR zone / speed zone or get away from it, that should be enough for training. All the rest is just for post training analysis.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a bike computer can show everything at the same time more easily. But for me it will be more important to just reach a zone and try to keep it there, instead of continuously number crunching everything. The environment is equally important when cycling! AFAIK the Fenix should also have sound notifications when you reach a certain HR zone / speed zone or get away from it, that should be enough for training. All the rest is just for post training analysis.

Yes you're right, I'll give it a shot tomorrow... But if I remember correctly the beeps are the same for every alert pairing (high /low) meaning depending on the zones and data points you have alerts against the cross over may be confusing until you get used to it.

Like I say I wish id picked up the Elemnt as I actually use the LEDs along the top as a quick way to monitor which HR zone I'm in having the 2nd lot on the side for power would be useful for a glance.

But for data collection can't fault the Fenix nor the forerunner 620 I had prior.

Oct 25, 2017
In the span of nine miles I slammed my hand into a tree and flipped over the bike, and had a wasp fly under my sunglasses and sting my face. I took it as a sign to just go home.

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought it was some dirt and then I felt it flapping against my face and freaked out. Thankfully it was on a flat straight area and not one of the rocky rooted downhills.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny really, I've been stung a ton of times and you always freak out far more than the actual pain of the sting would ever warrant.

I usually hurt myself more on an average ride than a sting ever hurt me. :D

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it was posted, but the results wont be massively surprising to anyone that spends a lot of time on the roads: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/04/bike-lanes-might-be-more-dangerous-than-no-lanes-at-all/
Just leave this here in response

Belgium's word of the year for 2018 is "Murderstrip." Defined as a painted bicycle lane on a dangerous street next to fast-moving cars. https://t.co/cxrIWJ2poX
— Doug Gordon (@BrooklynSpoke) December 18, 2018

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Tubeless Drama for Kristoff

So, if Paris Roubaix is anything to go by... I'm not switching to tubeless any time soon.

Such a massive hassle for supposedly harder to puncture tires?
... I'll pass for now.
Tubeless clinchers are harder to pinch-flat than tubed clinchers because such a flat requires pinching a hole through the tire, not just the much weaker inner inner tube. Kristoff is comparing them to tubulars, though, which have a rim profile that's much less prone to causing pinches. (Incidentally, it's likely that many of the tubular tires used at Paris-Roubaix were tubeless tubulars.)

Facism

Oct 25, 2017

haha i was there as part of a cross-country trip in September that started in Chicago. That climb to the woods is incredible and pretty tight for even cars.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Great news, hs2 is cutting a bunch of greenways, bridlepaths and roads through my area soon. /s

Fucking horrid cunt of a thing. People put so much effort into keeping these routes safe and usable for years and here comes the shitty railway line that provides 0 benefits to the county.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
I think it really depends on how Bike lanes are designed, some are just dangerous, like the ones that basically press you between the flowing traffic and parking cars. Other Roads that have a painted bike lane but the lanes are so small that motorist have to drive on the bike lane when there is oncomming traffic are also problematic, not to mention that a lot of bike lanes are just to narrow and are going right over the gullies....

Enjoying my new bike, Thinking about switching the tires to something like the Panaracer Gravel King slicks in 38C, since the WTB Nano are a bit to nobby for the type of riding I'm doing at the moment. Did my longest Ride ever yesterday after work with 75 km, took me 3.5h and it was probably not wise to do intervals in the morning before work. Started to bonk between 65 and 70 km. maybe also didn't have enough food with me...

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tubeless Drama for Kristoff

So, if Paris Roubaix is anything to go by... I'm not switching to tubeless any time soon.

Such a massive hassle for supposedly harder to puncture tires?
... I'll pass for now.

I wonder if any of the 3 punctures he got self-repaired with the sealant liquid. I got a puncture on my front tubeless the other day and I didn't even realise until I got home because it closed up with the sealant so quickly, only lost about 20 psi.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Great news, hs2 is cutting a bunch of greenways, bridlepaths and roads through my area soon. /s

Fucking horrid cunt of a thing. People put so much effort into keeping these routes safe and usable for years and here comes the shitty railway line that provides 0 benefits to the county.
Fucksake. :(

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
Newb question:

Last year I started riding bicycles again for weight and fitness reasons and made some great progress with it. I was offered by a relative as to what kind of bike I'd want to help me move up from the rusty old dept. store bikes I've been grinding around.

I live in a rural area with some long paved main roads and a lot of roads that are either dirt or in bad condition, so I'm inclined to go for a gravel bike, the Diamondback Haanjo 2 Gravel Adventure Bike seems like a nice upgrade to what I've been riding, do these have an alright reputation or is there something better for the same comparable value?

Edit: The Raleigh Willard 1 looks alright too.

Last edited:

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've run tubeless for several years now, never had a problem. Not perfect but will probably get you home due to the sealant. Far better than a clincher. Compare punctures between both types and tubeless wins every time. One day yes it might fail you, but how many times between those sporadic occasions, have people running clinchers had a flat .. Exactly. I won't ever change back.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I've run tubeless for several years now, never had a problem. Not perfect but will probably get you home due to the sealant. Far better than a clincher. Compare punctures between both types and tubeless wins every time. One day yes it might fail you, but how many times between those sporadic occasions, have people running clinchers had a flat .. Exactly. I won't ever change back.

I've ridden my (and worn down) a couple GP4K's for about 6000km now without getting a flat.

Might just be super lucky but it's definitely one of the reasons I'm not going to switch to tubeless yet.

Newb question:

Last year I started riding bicycles again for weight and fitness reasons and made some great progress with it. I was offered by a relative as to what kind of bike I'd want to help me move up from the rusty old dept. store bikes I've been grinding around.

I live in a rural area with some long paved main roads and a lot of roads that are either dirt or in bad condition, so I'm inclined to go for a gravel bike, the Diamondback Haanjo 2 Gravel Adventure Bike seems like a nice upgrade to what I've been riding, do these have an alright reputation or is there something better for the same comparable value?

Edit: The Raleigh Willard 1 looks alright too.

I'm probably not the best guy to answer this question since I ride road and not gravel or heaven forbid anything rougher than that, but that seems like a decent value for money bike.
Diamondback are a respected brand and it's fitted with reliable Shimano parts.
Should be a massive upgrade if you're riding around on a beaten rusty bike!

On another note:

I'm planning a new bike build.
Right now I'm looking at two options: either I stay with a rimbrake bike, or I'm switching to discs.
The thing is though, maintenance (arguably) is a hassle. Also, I live in the Netherlands which is flat as a dime, so there really isn't that much gained from riding a discbrake tbh.

I've got a nice pair of carbon wheels which I've ridden about 4000km on at this point. They're rimbrake wheels so that goes some way towards choosing a rimbrake bike again.

I really love my Canyon Endurace but I'm also looking at an Ultimate.

I'd either build up this:
Ultimate CF SLX

Slap on my current carbons wheels and buy a separate mechanical Ultegra or Dura Ace group.

The other option is to go for an Endurace, but they're not making those in a rimbrake versions anymore so that's my disc alternative.

Endurace CF SL Ultegra

Do you guys have any alternatives or opinions on wether to stay with Canyon, rimbrakes, discs etc. I'd love to hear your thoughts before spending a small fortune.

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
I've ridden my (and worn down) a couple GP4K's for about 6000km now without getting a flat.

Might just be super lucky but it's definitely one of the reasons I'm not going to switch to tubeless yet.

I'm probably not the best guy to answer this question since I ride road and not gravel or heaven forbid anything rougher than that, but that seems like a decent value for money bike.
Diamondback are a respected brand and it's fitted with reliable Shimano parts.
Should be a massive upgrade if you're riding around on a beaten rusty bike!

On another note:

I'm planning a new bike build.
Right now I'm looking at two options: either I stay with a rimbrake bike, or I'm switching to discs.
The thing is though, maintenance (arguably) is a hassle. Also, I live in the Netherlands which is flat as a dime, so there really isn't that much gained from riding a discbrake tbh.

I've got a nice pair of carbon wheels which I've ridden about 4000km on at this point. They're rimbrake wheels so that goes some way towards choosing a rimbrake bike again.

I really love my Canyon Endurace but I'm also looking at an Ultimate.

I'd either build up this:
Ultimate CF SLX

Slap on my current carbons wheels and buy a separate mechanical Ultegra or Dura Ace group.

The other option is to go for an Endurace, but they're not making those in a rimbrake versions anymore so that's my disc alternative.

Endurace CF SL Ultegra

Do you guys have any alternatives or opinions on wether to stay with Canyon, rimbrakes, discs etc. I'd love to hear your thoughts before spending a small fortune.

I don't have experience with Canyons but I'd say stick with rim brakes especially if you can reuse you carbon wheels. Disc brakes are great on mountain bikes but I haven't run into any situation where I felt rim brakes were not adequate on the road. Even long steep descents with 15-20% switchbacks were fine on my Giant carbon wheels/rim brakes. Plus rim brakes are lighter and you already mentioned the maintenance.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It wasn't too bad for traffic and most tend to give you more room if you're climbing. Some cracking views though on the way back home.

chT3kg0.jpg

Just had a short 30 mile morning ride today, might as well make the most of the good weather.