• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Now that, that would be fucking terrifying. I get scare enough near a pack of cows, and that's bigger again.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My gf did a bike tour through yellowstone twice, once going cross country and once leading a tetons tour. She got real close to some bison. Pretty spooky, but not as spooky as grizzlies and mountain lions.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
When I was cycling through Colorado another mountain biker stopped to tell me that there was a bear and her cub just up ahead... before he cycled away.

I was left thinking "what the fuck am I supposed to do with that info?!?"

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was cycling through Colorado another mountain biker stopped to tell me that there was a bear and her cub just up ahead... before he cycled away.

I was left thinking "what the fuck am I supposed to do with that info?!?"
It was almost 100% a black bear. no big deal, just make a lot of noise.

But if I ride in wyoming/montana aka grizzly territory I ride with a timber bell and bear spray.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, a mate of mine did the Tour Divide and was just up the road when that poor fucker got killed by that grizzly. Terrifying stuff.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Alrighty, tomorrow is the day.

I'll be attempting my first Century ride. I'll be doing it solo.
Any tips?

Oct 25, 2017

Any tips?

My regime is drink every 20, eat every 60-90. This is obviously dependent on terrain, temperature, intensity, and so on.

I'll have cash on hand for any stops that don't take credit cards. I rarely ever carry enough water beyond my two filled bottles.

I try to bring enough food & variety to maintain that 60-90. My typical century time is 5 1/2 - 7 (again factors pending) so I'll bring 6-7 snacks with me (i much prefer real food to Gu's and that shit. Right now i enjoy picky bars & skratch bars).

I bring enough skratch energy drink packets to cover the equiavlent so around 4, sometimes 5. I'll average about a bottle every 20-30 miles so figure 2 bottles need to be refilled at least once, if not twice. I bring 22oz bottles, but may move to 26oz again.

Have a buddy for any emergency pick ups if they should arise.

Just relax and have fun. You'll probably find your pace after 30ish miles and just relax as you keep going. I sometimes just throw my garmin in my bag or pocket so i don't focus on the miles/km.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, and by the end of it you'll probably be sick of sweets (depending on how long you take), so have some real food, or plan somewhere you can stop.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Cool thanks for all the advice! I'll let you know how I did tomorrow.

Normally I ride about 30-34 kph averages so I think the main fight will be about pacing myself and staying fueled since I usually don't really eat more than a cliff bar.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Any tips?

A good pad.

When I did my 100+ on Monday I took the following:

2 bottles on the bike with electrolytes
5 gels
Handful of jelly babies
Phone
Debit card
House key
Saddle bag - Spare tube (even though I'm tubeless), multitool, 2 tyre levers.
Garmin

I didn't require my debit card or phone but never leave them behind on a big ride.

I've just got back from my latest ride so I might as well continue the trend this week.

ipWy5Ks.jpg

So far this week:

300.1 mile
25,062 feet
17.3 mph average

Last edited:

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Well, glad I didn't go out and buy new parts for my bike, it just got stolen.

Time to visit the local stores to see if they have any good deals but odds are they don't. Probably going to have to wait for an end of the season sale to get another decent road bike :(

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Time to visit the local stores to see if they have any good deals but odds are they don't. Probably going to have to wait for an end of the season sale to get another decent road bike :(

From inside your house/garage? Or were you out & about and the lock cut? Unlucky :-( There's some horrible scum out there. It might turn up, stick some feelers out on things like Facebook/Twitter etc see if anyone has seen it for sale or being ridden.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
A good pad.

When I did my 100+ on Monday I took the following:

2 bottles on the bike with electrolytes
5 gels
Handful of jelly babies
Phone
Debit card
House key
Saddle bag - Spare tube (even though I'm tubeless), multitool, 2 tyre levers.
Garmin

I didn't require my debit card or phone but never leave them behind on a big ride.

I've just got back from my latest ride so I might as well continue the trend this week.

ipWy5Ks.jpg

So far this week:

300.1 mile
25,062 feet
17.3 mph average

Lo, I literally haven't done that amount of climbing in this entire year.

Ouch that suck man. Nothing hurts more than having your stuff taken.
Such a personal invasion.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
From inside your house/garage? Or were you out & about and the lock cut? Unlucky :-( There's some horrible scum out there. It might turn up, stick some feelers out on things like Facebook/Twitter etc see if anyone has seen it for sale or being ridden.

It was locked to our bike rack at my place of business.

Ouch that suck man. Nothing hurts more than having your stuff taken.
Such a personal invasion.

Sure does suck, but at least I hadn't dropped the $100+ I was planning on maintenance yet for the riding season :D

I guess I should call to see if my renters insurance covers theft that occurs outside the house but I doubt so :| edit: well, the deductible is 2k and the bike was $800 new so ya no recourse there

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit... that's one hell of a deductible. Seems like you'd need most of your stuff stolen to make it worthwhile claiming.

Thank fuck insurance in the UK is more reasonable. Also...

IMG_20190208_172323_101.jpg

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that fitbit is crap for cycling? Is there a good alternative?

I know Apple Watch works really poorly for tracking heartbeat for cycling too. I'm not sure of the specific reason, but it seems to be tied with your hand not moving, as you get the same issue if you do a treadmill with your hands in place. I'm sure I could google it, but I'm lazy :P

Anyway, the solution is to wear a chest strap when cycling and send that info to whatever other apps you use.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that fitbit is crap for cycling? Is there a good alternative?

Individual sensors will always be better than kitchen sink items.

I know Apple Watch works really poorly for tracking heartbeat for cycling too. I'm not sure of the specific reason, but it seems to be tied with your hand not moving, as you get the same issue if you do a treadmill with your hands in place. I'm sure I could google it, but I'm lazy :P

Anyway, the solution is to wear a chest strap when cycling and send that info to whatever other apps you use.
I think DC Rainmaker said the 4 improved a lot here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
For what it's worth, upper arm straps seems to be the gold standard for HR monitoring these days... but lets face it, the numbers aren't exactly important unless you have a coach anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I just had another little ride out, couldn't resist, forgot the FA Cup final was on today though so had to dash back.

qYmRZcP.jpg

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
We have had poor air quality over here for the whole week. Schools and universities were closed for the last 3 days. Would you still cycle during those conditions? :S

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I could have made that route even flatter.
A part was across the Heuvelrug. Our provinves' hills.

We have had poor air quality over here for the whole week. Schools and universities were closed for the last 3 days. Would you still cycle during those conditions? :S

Yikes, that sounds aweful. Luckily we never have those conditions here.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Hell yeah!

How's you do with eating and drinking? It's the biggest problem people have with centuries.

I actually tried to plan it a bit but messed up so badly along the way :D

I ate porridge and an omelette for breakfast.
Banana and some juice.

Took some gels and three cliffbars for the ride and thought I'd stop for a sandwhich at a gas stop somewhere.
At some point I was already 130k in so I figured "hell, I'll tough it out till I get home".
Next time I'll definitely take a break somewhere halfway to fill up.
I did the entire thing in the saddle now without stops :'D

Oct 25, 2017
I actually tried to plan it a bit but messed up so badly along the way :D

I ate porridge and an omelette for breakfast.
Banana and some juice.

Took some gels and three cliffbars for the ride and thought I'd stop for a sandwhich at a gas stop somewhere.
At some point I was already 130k in so I figured "hell, I'll tough it out till I get home".
Next time I'll definitely take a break somewhere halfway to fill up.
I did the entire thing in the saddle now without stops :'D

That's beastly for a first ride!

I've been making some food items from Feed Zone Portables. I'll usually make a batch and freeze for use later.

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy's carbon Honzo snapped about 4-5" back from the step and the front triangle is completely broken off. I wasn't with him and only saw picturs this morning but looking at his strava I know where this likely happened. It's a downhill section with some little roots you can hop off of but nothing that would make you think it could happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Spoke to someone riding with him and it was a collision. The over growth is apparently super bad and just bad angles everywhere

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Never nice to hear of people having bike accidents, especially if its the bike breaking through no fault of their own. Hope your friend is ok.

Stats are in. An enjoyable week overall. Resting now until my TT on Tuesday.

3DVXnDi.jpg

By the way, PlanetX's marketing/web/social guy has gone batshit crazy lately - https://www.planetx.co.uk/

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Never nice to hear of people having bike accidents, especially if its the bike breaking through no fault of their own. Hope your friend is ok.

Stats are in. An enjoyable week overall. Resting now until my TT on Tuesday.

3DVXnDi.jpg

By the way, PlanetX's marketing/web/social guy has gone batshit crazy lately - https://www.planetx.co.uk/

Both your stats and the "design" of that website are insane.

I did less than your numbers... in the metric system :'(

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Both your stats and the "design" of that website are insane.

I did less than your numbers... in the metric system :'(

I think they have a new web guy, its been getting progressively worse for the last few days, they're even taking shots at Wiggle & CRC.

This upcoming weeks weather looks a bit changeable so I probably won't get out as often, TT on Tuesday and then a club ride, hopefully I can get another big one in if the weather will permit it.