• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
My Edge 830 arrived, set it up today and went for a first (non-navigated) ride. Have to say, I'm pretty improved. Setting up was a breeze, it was already connected to the sensor, took 2 minutes to put those on the hub and crank and only had to ride for one km for the wheelsize to be calibrated. Info displayed during the ride was responsive, touchscreen worked very nicely, the whole unit was fast in the menus, took 5 minutes to find all the options but the layout is pretty OK. Water intake options are nice, even when not navigating it warns for sharp bends on time, the full map display screen is also very useful and well detailed. Battery life looks to be pretty good from what I can gather. Rode for one hour without phone but with two sensors and the percentage did drop about 5% only.

Will have to test it out more in the coming weeks but at the moment I can't say anything bad about it except that the total package with sensors is €500? But not much competition out there either.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Another week over and the weather has turned to garbage and looks that way for the foreseeable future. I wonder if that means we've had our Summer now.

nTyHfJk.jpg

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Big group rides are scary (happened today).

Also, someno got run over but It doesn't show on the video.

GqoDNXK.png

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I live in a small apartment, second floor. I'll be doing renos and hopefully will manage to make some nook to place a bicycle into if it has folding handle bars and maybe pedals or some such.
Anyone has such a bicycle?
And anyone has a folding bicycle? The ones I've seen look so weird, they're small the seat is really high and I don't know... Anyone has experience with them?
It's just to get around the city, and I don't want a shared bike because they are always gone since I'm in a touristy area...
I won't use it every day since I can walk to work, but I still like having one.
edit: Now that I think about it, I need to be able to hook some storage to it, since I don't have a car it can be useful to carry stuff around. Ugh...
edit2: Damn that's nice https://www.thebikeseat.com/
hp-features--flexibility-bike.gif

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey bike people.

I'm buying my first proper bike and looking for some advice. I'm looking for an all-around bike to use for a short city commute (10min) but that could also be used to explore the countryside with on weekends. I live in the south of Sweden, so it's very flat around here. Because of this, I've been considering some single-speed "all road/gravel/touring/whatever" bikes which seems to be a very nebulous category. The Genesis Day One 10 is one I've been looking at, but I've also considered the geared Nishiki Allroad since it's on offer and could prove more useful in the long run.

Any opinions on these bikes, or others I should look at? Help a newbie out!

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Hey bike people.

I'm buying my first proper bike and looking for some advice. I'm looking for an all-around bike to use for a short city commute (10min) but that could also be used to explore the countryside with on weekends. I live in the south of Sweden, so it's very flat around here. Because of this, I've been considering some single-speed "all road/gravel/touring/whatever" bikes which seems to be a very nebulous category. The Genesis Day One 10 is one I've been looking at, but I've also considered the geared Nishiki Allroad since it's on offer and could prove more useful in the long run.

Is there a budget?

Personally, I'd always opt for a bike with gears.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hey bike people.

Your LBS should let you test ride your options. Always go for the bike that feels the best for you.

Side bar, anyone here have experience with the Felt Dispatch 7/90? Looking to get into MTB and was wanting a decent entry level bike for around $400. Someone has one for sale for $425obo and I was thinking about getting it.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
Your LBS should let you test ride your options. Always go for the bike that feels the best for you.

Side bar, anyone here have experience with the Felt Dispatch 7/90? Looking to get into MTB and was wanting a decent entry level bike for around $400. Someone has one for sale for $425obo and I was thinking about getting it.

Thanks.

Looks like an ok bike for the money.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks.

I ended up with the equivalent Trek just out of habit but I rode this bike on a test and really enjoyed it.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I ended up with the equivalent Trek just out of habit but I rode this bike on a test and really enjoyed it.
Awesome, good to know. I'm gonna ask the seller if I can test ride it but I'm pretty much sold on it. Seems like a good deal as it still has free service from the shop it was bought at for 3 more months.

Thanks.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fairly big off at Bikepark Wales. Went off one of the bigger dropoffs with my fork locked out... like a MASSIVE TWAT.

Hit the landing and bike basically just rotated over the front wheel. Bars twisted and scratched up (carbon, so might need to replace), but thankfully everything else seems OK.

Body armour mostly worked, but my elbow pad slipped as I slid so now I have a hole in my forearm. Will need to replace that pad if I can (it's part of a bigger armour set) as the fabric got all ripped up. Destroyed my jersey too but the armour underneath it stopped me getting shredded too.

Annoying as I was making good progress, and it was completely avoidable.

Far out man, sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hope it doesn't cost too much to get your bike fixed up.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
2exu45e.jpg

Pretty happy with a sprint ride I had this weekend.
226 watts is clearly underestimating it. It was actually quite windy as well.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phwoar, that's such an impressive avg speed, awesome work man. I can't get over how flat that area is though, only 39m over 22km!?

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
So, I'm about to pull the trigger on a new bike purchase.

Plans have changed a bit since I found people close to me willing to buy my current stuff.
That gave me some more room to spend. Besides that I went further down the "my country is flat as a pancake route" so I figured I might as well get an aero bike.
No reason for me to spend top dollar on a climbing bike if its never going to climb. I tend to rent bikes abroad.

Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0

So this is what I've landed on. A mechanical Ultegra rimbrake version of the Aeroad.
I dont need the disc brakes (no mountains) and I somewhat loathe maintenance so that was an easy pick.
Don't think I'll need the dura ace groupset with my level of riding and Di2 was just a bit too premium for me.

Any last thoughts?

iodtp5.jpg

Last edited:

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Plans have changed a bit since I found people close to me willing to buy my current stuff.
That gave me some more room to spend. Besides that I went further down the "my country is flat as a pancake route" so I figured I might as well get an aero bike.
No reason for me to spend top dollar on a climbing bike if its never going to climb. I tend to rent bikes abroad.

Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0

So this is what I've landed on. A mechanical Ultegra rimbrake version of the Aeroad.
I dont need the disc brakes (no mountains) and I somewhat loathe maintenance so that was an easy pick.
Don't think I'll need the dura ace groupset with my level of riding and Di2 was just a bit too premium for me.

Any last thoughts?

iodtp5.jpg

Lovely bike but I'd go disc & electronic. If you can't quite reach the electronic price range, at least disc. I use a rim brake bike but if I bought a new one, it'd be disc. All bikes in a couple of years will be disc, it's the future. Don't spend that kinda cash on what is essentially an old fashioned bike.

Hydraulic disc, not mechanical.

Senger

Oct 27, 2017

Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0

Any last thoughts?

iodtp5.jpg

Looks like a good choice. Mech Ultegra seems to be the sweet spot in price/performance and I still prefer rim over disc brakes.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Lovely bike but I'd go disc & electronic. If you can't quite reach the electronic price range, at least disc. I use a rim brake bike but if I bought a new one, it'd be disc. All bikes in a couple of years will be disc, it's the future. Don't spend that kinda cash on what is essentially an old fashioned bike.

Hydraulic disc, not mechanical.
I'd normally agree to a large extent about hydro discs, except FondsNL is cycling some of the flattest terrain around so the benefit is going to be marginal, and going from rim to disc is going to add about £500 onto the price, which is a lot. For the same cash you could go to Ultegra Di2 which is very nice, but in relative terms it's poor value.

Looks like a good choice. Mech Ultegra seems to be the sweet spot in price/performance and I still prefer rim over disc brakes.
Yeah, definitely the sweet spot (although I do prefer discs to rim brakes, but as above I think rim brakes are going to be perfectly adequate for this scenario).

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0

Any last thoughts?

iodtp5.jpg

Oh man, that's so tasty! I love the Ultegra R8000 mech feel, and those carbon rims are sweet too. Just an awesome bike all-round, I reckon you'll be smashing your PRs on that.

Just to echo what the other guys have said I think the roads you ride on really don't need disc brakes, as much as I love mine I really only notice the difference when I'm bombing down steep hills.

Last edited:

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Is ridding climbs on a 48/16 fixed gear a bad idea?

So, here's my story: the cheap crank on my fixed gear broke. So I changed it with an spare new chainring/crank set that I bought in case I wanted to ride with a 48t instead of the 46t. However, after changing it it became clear that my cheap backwheel was also busted (bent rim and hub), so a LBS built me a new wheel with a fancy disc cog (didn't knew that was a trend!) that also improved my chainline.

However, the net result is that I went from 46/17 to 48/16. I took the bicycle today for my normal training route and I could manage. It was indeed harder, but i could manage. But I originally went fixed gear to increase my cadence and I don't want to bust my knees...

What do you think, cycling-era?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for you all your thoughts guys! Despite some of your concerns I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger.
Now I just have to wait until mid July for it to be delivered :'(

As some of you have said, it is indeed because of the unbelievable flatness of my home country that I'm not considering discs. Otherwise it would've been a no brainer.
The Di2 version is actually a hefty 900 euros more expensive than the mechanical ultegra version (4200 euros). That's probably also because that version has a bit more fancy DT Swiss wheels. Getting a separate frame and components would be infinitely more expensive since Canyon has amazing package deals.
Besides that they only make the Di2 Ultegra version in Stealth Black or those horrible Movistar colours...

As it stand with the budget I set for myself and the things I find important, this is pretty much the best deal I can find.
I'm super psyched though! Seems like an absolute weapon, can't wait to ride it!

Last edited:

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Ouch, an extra €900 for Di2? That's a no-brainer then.

I'm really not a fan of the Canyon stealth black colourscheme. It's just so, so boring. If you're going to go with black then at least have some contrasting highlights.

Hope you enjoy the bike! I'm sure you will.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
So some of you may know this already but for those that don't... luck finally ran out at Bikepark Wales. Had done blues, reds and a black before I headed out into Hotstepper and into Terry's Belly. Front wheel washed out after a berm and I went down hard on my right hand side. Armour / helmet handled the impact to my upper half but my lower half wasn't protected.

Hour and a half or so later and I was at Merthyr hospital having an x-ray / CT. Multiple fractures to the right side of my hip. Initially thought I could do without surgery but it now looks like I'm being transferred to Bristol to have it pinned.

Definitely a life changer. Going to be a long road back.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
So some of you may know this already but for those that don't... luck finally ran out at Bikepark Wales. Had done blues, reds and a black before I headed out into Hotstepper and into Terry's Belly. Front wheel washed out after a berm and I went down hard on my right hand side. Armour / helmet handled the impact to my upper half but my lower half wasn't protected.

Hour and a half or so later and I was at Merthyr hospital having an x-ray / CT. Multiple fractures to the right side of my hip. Initially thought I could do without surgery but it now looks like I'm being transferred to Bristol to have it pinned.

Aw man, that's horrible!
Things are probably still very unclear at this point but I'm wishing you all the best in the process!
Keep us up to date and keep your eyes on the prize!

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry to hear. Hope you have a quick and safe recovery

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked up those trails on YouTube. Wish there was a bike park near me that was similarly done. The closest one is full on enduro bike jump course.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
hey bike-era,
I grabbed my first bike since the good old bmx days (lol). I was looking to grab a lock for it. It's an entry level Specialized Sirrus so nothing special. Back in the day Kryptonite made some good locks so I checked their site. I was not prepared for 100 different versions. Do they still make good locks? Are there other brands or types (non-U) I should check out? I feel like any cable lock could be cut in seconds with tin snips or some landscaping loppers. Thanks!

---

Best of luck in recovery Psychotext!

Oct 25, 2017
hey bike-era,
I grabbed my first bike since the good old bmx days (lol). I was looking to grab a lock for it. It's an entry level Specialized Sirrus so nothing special. Back in the day Kryptonite made some good locks so I checked their site. I was not prepared for 100 different versions. Do they still make good locks? Are there other brands or types (non-U) I should check out? I feel like any cable lock could be cut in seconds with tin snips or some landscaping loppers. Thanks!

---

Abus makes some good locks and has a little less options.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
hey bike-era,

---

Do not get a cable lock! Kryptonite indeed do some nice looks, however, bicycle lock 101:

• Security of the lock is in direct proportion of its weight. The secure, light weight lock does not exists.
  • You want to get a nice u-lock or a heavy chain, everything else is nearly worthless.
  • Two locks are better than one (you want to secure both wheels).
  • Every lock can be broken.
  • Never park your bicycle on a sketchy area or leave it overnight.
  • The best strategy is to always park next to as good or better bikes with worse locks.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, glad you are relatively ok. Stay as positive as you can and get well soon.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Is ridding climbs on a 48/16 fixed gear a bad idea?

So, here's my story: the cheap crank on my fixed gear broke. So I changed it with an spare new chainring/crank set that I bought in case I wanted to ride with a 48t instead of the 46t. However, after changing it it became clear that my cheap backwheel was also busted (bent rim and hub), so a LBS built me a new wheel with a fancy disc cog (didn't knew that was a trend!) that also improved my chainline.

However, the net result is that I went from 46/17 to 48/16. I took the bicycle today for my normal training route and I could manage. It was indeed harder, but i could manage. But I originally went fixed gear to increase my cadence and I don't want to bust my knees...

What do you think, cycling-era?

Eh. I mean each to their abilities, but I run a 42x15 and I find that to be a great gear for flats and little climbs. I can't imagine switching it up with a larger front ring... unless I lived in the Netherlands.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I would be forever stuck 1/8th of a mile from home because I wouldn't be able to get up the hill to my driveway.