• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Thank you.

I'm glad I've had a couple of nice days to get out and keep my head free. It's been 2 weeks off awful weather here lately but thankfully I've had these last few days to get out & about. It definitely helps, rather than being stuck inside and left to dwell on thoughts.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Never too late to start!

I remember trying as a kid and I have vague memories of falling and maybe getting cut/hurt by the bike chains and basically developing a little phobia of them. I nope'd out and never went back to finish what I started.

I feel similarly uncomfortable with heights, swimming, rollerblading, skateboarding, or any type of boarding actually. I'm pretty damn jittery when it comes to this stuff.

But I have always loved long walks, hikes, marathons, runs, etc. I definitely do the above more than your average person. I guess that's how I made up for sucking at everything else.

I've thought about learning how to do this stuff over the years but never got around to it. I'm sure I could pick up bike riding fairly quickly if I applied myself just a little bit.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I remember trying as a kid and I have vague memories of falling and maybe getting cut/hurt by the bike chains and basically developing a little phobia of them. I nope'd out and never went back to finish what I started.

I feel similarly uncomfortable with heights, swimming, rollerblading, skateboarding, or any type of boarding actually. I'm pretty damn jittery when it comes to this stuff.

But I have always loved long walks, hikes, marathons, runs, etc. I definitely do the above more than your average person. I guess that's how I made up for sucking at everything else.

I've thought about learning how to do this stuff over the years but never got around to it. I'm sure I could pick up bike riding fairly quickly if I applied myself just a little bit.

If you're into sports, especially long distance/ endurance sports like marathon running, you'll love cycling.
As some have said, never too late to start!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
If you're into sports, especially long distance/ endurance sports like marathon running, you'll love cycling.
As some have said, never too late to start!

Oh believe me, I would love to learn! I know I'd enjoy it and I know if I knew how that I would take advantage and ride around.

Just need to actually do it. Easier said than done for me, I'm the world's greatest procrastinator.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Meant to post an update.

First surgery went OK, but it seems the method they used to close me up wasn't ideal so I ended up with a pretty bad haematoma (complete agony). Rushed for another surgery the next day to drain all that out and seal me up again. That seemed to work out OK. Rough couple of days after that (clot issues), but that's cleared up now and I'm waiting for a scan to make sure the clot hasn't moved somewhere worse. After that I just need to have this filter removed and cross fingers I can go home. With no complications that might be before the weekend.

Got a private room today, so that's cool. Really hoping to get some sleep, then can organise the hookers / blackjack.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Meant to post an update.

First surgery went OK, but it seems the method they used to close me up wasn't ideal so I ended up with a pretty bad haematoma (complete agony). Rushed for another surgery the next day to drain all that out and seal me up again. That seemed to work out OK. Rough couple of days after that (clot issues), but that's cleared up now and I'm waiting for a scan to make sure the clot hasn't moved somewhere worse. After that I just need to have this filter removed and cross fingers I can go home. With no complications that might be before the weekend.

Got a private room today, so that's cool. Really hoping to get some sleep, then can organise the hookers / blackjack.

In my thoughts mate hoping for a speedy recovery and full mobility.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
You're not having the best luck in terms of complications Psychotext
Hopefully you've had the worst of it now.

Maybe a lil bit of new bike day cheer might help you out

m79eq.jpg

I've still got to set it up completely. Measurements are off in the picture if you're wondering.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
All the best for a quick recovery Psychotext.

I had my time trial last night (20 mile, the 0.77 was a slowing down, cool off phase), thankfully the rain held off but the wind was attrocious and having two hard days in the saddle leading up didn't help.

UzSWeqd.jpg

Paying my respects to my friend tomorrow, no matter what pain I went through in the wind last night, it's nothing compared to his families pain.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
While I'm not a big fan of team Ineos I wouldn't wish them for them either.
I'd truly love to see Froome going for his fifth.

As far as the competition goes, it definitely will make things more interesting.
We've got Dumoulin, Thomas, Yates, Quintana, Landa, Uran and Nibali with a realistic shot as far as I can tell.
Seems like a pretty level playing field.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cheers all. Will try to keep the thread up to date with progress.

Going to be a long road back (already have visible muscle loss to right leg, and ironically thanks to all the single leg squat movements... my left is as strong as ever).

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've just got back home. Still a long way from being well, but at least I'm going to get some sleep here. So much planning and organising to do, if nothing else so I can get back to work.

Managed (with crutches) to hobble the entire way from the hospital room to the exit. So that's something achieved.

I've booked my first appointment with my regular physio and I'm eager to start finding / addressing my new weaknesses. Also going to try and find a coach to put together a weights regime I can do with no hip / little core involvement. Gotta stay sane somehow.

Time to start moving forward.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to hear you're home psycho!
As you said, onward and upward from here on out.

I'm going to finish my new bike this weekend and hopefully get a first ride in this sunday.
So flipping excited to take it out for a first ride.

Oct 27, 2017
So some of you may know this already but for those that don't... luck finally ran out at Bikepark Wales. Had done blues, reds and a black before I headed out into Hotstepper and into Terry's Belly. Front wheel washed out after a berm and I went down hard on my right hand side. Armour / helmet handled the impact to my upper half but my lower half wasn't protected.

Hour and a half or so later and I was at Merthyr hospital having an x-ray / CT. Multiple fractures to the right side of my hip. Initially thought I could do without surgery but it now looks like I'm being transferred to Bristol to have it pinned.

Definitely a life changer. Going to be a long road back.

Mate, so sorry to hear this. I've ridden those trails and I know how easy it is to get caught out on something 'simple' after a day of doing vastly more complex stuff.

A guy I know was doing Watts Occurring up at Bike Park Wales last year (Technical Red I think, I've only ever ridden half of it, my bike ingested it's rear brake on the run and that was the end of my day, anyway) he caught one of the doubles slightly wrong and went over the bars, landed awkwardly on his neck and back. Bit of pain, walked back to the car park and drove home, that evening as the pain got worse his wife drove him to hospital - he'd broken his neck in two places and his upper back. Nightmare for him, but he's on the road to recovery and doubtless you will be too.

Hope your recovery from the surgery goes well, all the best and hope you're back in the saddle soon.

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
I really want to get into biking as my form of cardio but I honestly have no idea where to start when looking for a good bike to start off with.

All I know is I want something decent for long bike rides, but looking up things like "good beginner distance bikes" and stuff like that hasn't really worked out. I'm getting recommendation for like 2k bikes.

I'm sure a quality bike isn't cheap but anyone have any advice for choosing something for someone wanting to log some good distances for the first time?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to get into biking as my form of cardio but I honestly have no idea where to start when looking for a good bike to start off with.

All I know is I want something decent for long bike rides, but looking up things like "good beginner distance bikes" and stuff like that hasn't really worked out. I'm getting recommendation for like 2k bikes.

I'm sure a quality bike isn't cheap but anyone have any advice for choosing something for someone wanting to log some good distances for the first time?

You don't need to spend that much dough for a quality bike!

When people ask for advice on bikes you need to ask yourself: what is my terrain and what will I use it for? So it looks like you want to get some exercise so a road bike, touring or hybrid will be best.

Will you be on roads or paths? The rougher the terrain, the bigger the tires you'll want which will affect your choice as well.

If you live in Europe, Decathlon's new Triban bikes are a real steal for under a grand. Otherwise, check out Craigslist or just go to a local bike shop.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking of picking up a new trek dual sport 1 or disc bike? from my local bike shop. There seem to be good deals on Kijiji, but honestly don't want to hassle myself. Also want to get correct size and get bike shop warranty(if it's good)

There's lots of road bikes people are selling in my area but I don't know if road bikes are good for beginners and a lot of them look vintage

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
First visit to "my" physio seemed to go pretty well. He seemed pleased with the mobility / strength that I've currently got and has given me additional exercises on top of what the hospital gave me.

He's looking at trying to get me onto an "AlterG" machine, which is pretty exciting. Will help massively with my rehab.

https://www.alterg.com/

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First visit to "my" physio seemed to go pretty well. He seemed pleased with the mobility / strength that I've currently got and has given me additional exercises on top of what the hospital gave me.

He's looking at trying to get me onto an "AlterG" machine, which is pretty exciting. Will help massively with my rehab.

https://www.alterg.com/
Good luck dude. Ive had hip surgery and the PT after really helped me identify general weaknesses with my body.

almost 2 years later and im good, but still working on glutes/mobility/etc.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cheers. Am trying to find a balance at the moment between doing enough to keep my bones / muscles healthy and not stressing the bone too much.

Hopefully things will become a bit more simple at the six week mark.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Cheers. Am trying to find a balance at the moment between doing enough to keep my bones / muscles healthy and not stressing the bone too much.

Hopefully things will become a bit more simple at the six week mark.

Are you walking with crutches now? I had surgery on my ankle a few years back, the crutches are by far the worst part of my memory of the whole affair.

On another note, this thing is an absolute rocket. Still have to take it on longer rides, but 36kph average is still an all time best for me :P

33f4aad.jpg

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Are you walking with crutches now? I had surgery on my ankle a few years back, the crutches are by far the worst part of my memory of the whole affair.
I wouldn't call it "walking". lol

My main issue with crutches is that I'm on high dose anti-coagulants, so if I fall, not only is there a chance of screwing up my hip, but I could potentially die via blood loss / internal bleeding.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Not clear if that was at the crash site or in surgery. I lost a ton in surgery as they'd put me on blood thinners, then I got a haematoma which made things worse.

Felt like total shit afterwards

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

On another note, this thing is an absolute rocket. Still have to take it on longer rides, but 36kph average is still an all time best for me :P

33f4aad.jpg
Which model is that?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Sure, if I was healthy, and wasn't 40+, but neither of those things are true.

As it stands I don't even know if I'll ever cycle again, so I guess it's largely irrelevant.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of a good way to take your road bike fit and translate it into your mountain bike? I always feel like I'm not centered how i want on my mountain bike, but i do think some of that is from having a shit post for leveling your seat.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Which model is that?

It's a Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0

Been a bit unlucky with the weather here, but I should be able to take it out for a proper long spin this Saturday.

I still have a lot of work to do, It's just nice to see some progress. I seem to have been stagnant for awhile.

The unfortunate part is that I don't have any segments with a gradient long enough to allow for a proper W/KG calculation.
I'll have to buy a powermeter at some point if I want to get more serious about measuring my fitness.
I measured my FTP at 272 this winter, making my W/KG about 3.4 over a 20 minute FTP session.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It's a Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0

Been a bit unlucky with the weather here, but I should be able to take it out for a proper long spin this Saturday.

The unfortunate part is that I don't have any segments with a gradient long enough to allow for a proper W/KG calculation.
I'll have to buy a powermeter at some point if I want to get more serious about measuring my fitness.
I measured my FTP at 272 this winter, making my W/KG about 3.4 over a 20 minute FTP session.

That's a decent FTP, just keep smashing those training sessions and you'll be right up at 4+ w/kg.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Just ranting here...

Tried to get one of the Supreme x Castelli cycling jerseys this morning, no luck....sold out with the quickness.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F06%2Fsupreme-2019-spring-summer-week-17-drop-list-007.jpg

Lucked out on getting one of their cycling caps tho.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F06%2Fsupreme-2019-spring-summer-week-17-drop-list-016.jpg

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Everything's gonna look baggy on a hanger...but yeah Castelli is usually Euro extra smedium fit, I'm sure these kits fit the same way.

Edit: dreading to see how much they gonna resell on places like StockX...geez.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
And what about me and mu 87kg ass? :S

87kg isn't bad, though it depends how tall you are I guess. Muscle weighs more than fat remember. :-)

I've just got back from a quick spin out, was going to have a rest but it was nice when I got home. Not had a rest since last Friday, kinda hope it rains tomorrow so I can actually have that rest, though it's meant to be glorious.... So I'll be back out.

RbuBfaK.jpg

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I have been meaning to get on this thread for a bit but just kept forgetting to go find it. I have recently gotten into cycling/riding over the past three months and I am loving it. Purchased a Trek FX2 to just get started and I really like it. However, I feel like I am holding myself back without having the drop bars.

I have been looking at the Domane lineup from Trek. I also looked at the Checkpoint but I dont believe I am going to be doing enough gravel to justify the gravel bike. Sounds like the Domane would be fine for the rough roads/paths I might be hitting.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I have been meaning to get on this thread for a bit but just kept forgetting to go find it. I have recently gotten into cycling/riding over the past three months and I am loving it. Purchased a Trek FX2 to just get started and I really like it. However, I feel like I am holding myself back without having the drop bars.

I have been looking at the Domane lineup from Trek. I also looked at the Checkpoint but I dont believe I am going to be doing enough gravel to justify the gravel bike. Sounds like the Domane would be fine for the rough roads/paths I might be hitting.

Yeah the Domane would be a serious upgrade over the fx.
The entire geometry of the bike and your riding position are going to feel a lot faster.
A lot of bikes these days allow for 25mm or 28mm tires, letting you at least dabble a bit in gravel territory.
Good to hear you're having fun! Curious to hear what you'll land on!