• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Yeah the Domane would be a serious upgrade over the fx.
The entire geometry of the bike and your riding position are going to feel a lot faster.
A lot of bikes these days allow for 25mm or 28mm tires, letting you at least dabble a bit in gravel territory.
Good to hear you're having fun! Curious to hear what you'll land on!

Thanks.

Looking online I thought I wanted a Gravel bike for sure but after talking to my LBS they pretty much talked me out of it saying it wasnt necessary based on what I was doing and it would only slow me down on the road if I didnt change tires.

My other issue is I am a pretty big guy, 6'5 and 260lbs (and going down). So I was a little worried about the weight but I seem to be under the weight limits on the road bikes overall (275 lbs weight limits).

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got a class 3 electric bike (28mph max assist) from Juiced Bikes last week. Crosscurrent S. Commuted all this week on it w/ ~28mi round trip. This thing is a beast! First time in forever that I logged nearly 200mi in a week.

This isn't a distance I couldn't do on my own, but ever since we had kids it's been difficult to justify the time -- prep time, 60-70min ride in to work, using tons of baby wipes to wipe off since no shower at work. Not to mention that carrying even my Surface is a challenge on my road bike unless I want to lug a backpack. Number of bike commutes went down steadily up until I was doing maybe 1 or 2 a year this last couple years.

With my electric bike I can basically be there within 10mins of how long it would take w/ a car, and still put in a moderate effort so it feels like I rode a bike. Since class 3 bikes top out at 28mph I can just vary the pedal assist level if I want to put more of the effort in. I stuff one of my panniers with change and lunch, and just laugh at the total disregard for wind resistance. Not a biggest fan of the upright geometry but I can live with it. I wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone that's old enough to not give a shit about how you or your bike looks and just need a way to get a ride in.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Got a class 3 electric bike (28mph max assist) from Juiced Bikes last week. Crosscurrent S. Commuted all this week on it w/ ~28mi round trip. This thing is a beast! First time in forever that I logged nearly 200mi in a week.

This isn't a distance I couldn't do on my own, but ever since we had kids it's been difficult to justify the time -- prep time, 60-70min ride in to work, using tons of baby wipes to wipe off since no shower at work. Not to mention that carrying even my Surface is a challenge on my road bike unless I want to lug a backpack. Number of bike commutes went down steadily up until I was doing maybe 1 or 2 a year this last couple years.

With my electric bike I can basically be there within 10mins of how long it would take w/ a car, and still put in a moderate effort so it feels like I rode a bike. Since class 3 bikes top out at 28mph I can just vary the pedal assist level if I want to put more of the effort in. I stuff one of my panniers with change and lunch, and just laugh at the total disregard for wind resistance. Not a biggest fan of the upright geometry but I can live with it. I wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone that's old enough to not give a shit about how you or your bike looks and just need a way to get a ride in.

Pretty nice, does the bike feel heavier? I assume there is a power setting you can have it on, what setting were you at?

I have never tried an E-Bike but I would like to someday.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty nice, does the bike feel heavier? I assume there is a power setting you can have it on, what setting were you at?

I have never tried an E-Bike but I would like to someday.

Bike is pretty hefty. 60-70lb. I usually have it close to the max when I'm commuting — it'll pull ~750-1kw up to around 28mph. A lot of bike shops are starting to sell electrics by the big brands, ask for a class 3 (those can go to 28 if your state allows it). Most of the name brands use a motor that goes on the crank which will inevitably eat your chains alive. Hub drives don't feeel quite as nice but I'm happy to trade that off for longer lasting chains.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Had a nice ride out today with a few folk, started off nice, easy & social and then a few break aways occured near the end leaving 3 of us basically racing back. Sorry, I didn't say racing, that doesn't happen on public roads, we were ... erm ... riding enthusiastically. :-D

fD21acR.jpg

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Going to unsubscribe from the thread for a while. Avoiding reading about cycling for a while as it's only going to add to my frustration.

Hopefully I'll be back some day. Time will tell.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Going to unsubscribe from the thread for a while. Avoiding reading about cycling for a while as it's only going to add to my frustration.

Focus on what's necessary man, I wish you all the best for the coming months!
Feel no obligations, but I myself would very much like to hear how you're doing from time to time!

———————————————

I myself had a pretty decent ride today. Time is tight so all I could muster was a shorter ride.

314t7b9.jpg

Funny thing, I actually had a flat.
Haven't had one in about 7000km with my conti inner and conti tires.
the new bike came with Schwalbe tubes and one didn't last me even 80kms.
Might be coincidence but a tube tearing at the seam of the valve is just shit quality imho.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Trying to work on my speed a little yesterday but I picked a really rough day to do it. Extremely windy day, 20-25 mph winds and the 95+ degree heat didnt help. Welcome to riding in Texas in the summer.

I was worn out after only an hour.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
Just ranting here...

Tried to get one of the Supreme x Castelli cycling jerseys this morning, no luck....sold out with the quickness.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F06%2Fsupreme-2019-spring-summer-week-17-drop-list-007.jpg

Lucked out on getting one of their cycling caps tho.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F06%2Fsupreme-2019-spring-summer-week-17-drop-list-016.jpg
Saw someone at my cafe stop with. Supreme branded bike. Plain red frame no other markings. No idea what it actually is.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
First longer ride on the Aeroad today and it was a fucking scorcher. 33 degrees celcius here at the moment :'(

I have to say performance aside, I'm very impressed with the comfort.
Not feeling any different after a 100k ride on this bike compared to my endurance roadbike.

2vcjpj7.jpg

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Don't you just hate it when you turn up to the time trial and your DI2 is flashing red. The rear gears would change but the battery was so low the front was stuck in the small.

Never again. The bike is now on charge. Schoolboy error.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Don't you just hate it when you turn up to the time trial and your DI2 is flashing red. The rear gears would change but the battery was so low the front was stuck in the small.

Nope. Mechanical snifting superior master race here.

Oct 25, 2017

The Axs system is intriguing to me because of how small the batteries are.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You will be missed mate, all the best for your recovery.

First longer ride on the Aeroad today and it was a fucking scorcher. 33 degrees celcius here at the moment :'(

I have to say performance aside, I'm very impressed with the comfort.
Not feeling any different after a 100k ride on this bike compared to my endurance roadbike.

2vcjpj7.jpg

Awesome avg speed for such a long ride man, looks like the new bike is working out well.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah that would be me all of the time... I forget to charge my shit constantly.

You will be missed mate, all the best for your recovery.

Awesome avg speed for such a long ride man, looks like the new bike is working out well.

I'm so happy with the bike. It's absurd how much faster I'm riding and for how much longer I can sustain high speeds.
Especially in headwinds I'm noticing a difference. We had a pretty windy day here yesterday and I could ride along at 33 kph straight into the wind no problem.
That's not to say the bike ain't slicing like a hot knife through butter when I've got a bit of a tailwind though ;)

All said, yes the new bike is working out really well XD

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
That's pretty cool. I know I won't get 500 miles in, but a free t-shirt is not bad incentive to get back on the bike more consistently.

The rules don't specify the miles need to be outdoors, interesting.
Shame it's US only :(

I am going to do my best to hit 500 miles in July. I think I can do it but it will just take some commitment as I do not really have a ton of time. There are only 4 weekends in July and I am at a wedding for one of them, so not as many opportunities for longer rides.

I think I am going to order my new bike for the occasion this week.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
No charging required today, Sram Red22 never lets me down..

LSQLf7S.jpg

Weren't you the one telling me I had to get electronic shifting? :P

I am going to do my best to hit 500 miles in July. I think I can do it but it will just take some commitment as I do not really have a ton of time. There are only 4 weekends in July and I am at a wedding for one of them, so not as many opportunities for longer rides.

I think I am going to order my new bike for the occasion this week.

Oeh new bike! What are you looking at?

Oct 25, 2017
Been having the most odd thign with my pedaling that I'm 100% attributing to my asymmetry in my hips: I can't seem to find the balance point of my feet w/r/t to my cleats. If I drop one back a few mm, then the other feels like it can't extend right. It's causing either my left quad to feel more tight or my right foot to over load on the toe.

Now, I will say that when I went for my pro fitting last year he mad mention that I do dip and rotate forward my right hip more, which is not uncommon and a very hard thing to fix without full dedication to correcting it. This also leads to my seat being just high/low enough for each leg to compensate.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a solid year to get here (between pro fit & testing, fabrication parts, etc), but I can finally go pick this up. Breadwinner B-Road + ENVE fork, SRAM Force 1 groupset 1x (46 up front), ENVE G23 with CarbonTi hubs, PNW Rainer IR 27.2 dropper wired up to the left shifter, Salsa Woodchipper bars

Gpatcpk.jpg

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It's been a solid year to get here (between pro fit & testing, fabrication parts, etc), but I can finally go pick this up. Breadwinner B-Road + ENVE fork, SRAM Force 1 groupset 1x (46 up front), ENVE G23 with CarbonTi hubs, PNW Rainer IR 27.2 dropper wired up to the left shifter, Salsa Woodchipper bars

Gpatcpk.jpg

That is a long time to wait for anything my god. Not sure I could be that patient. Beautiful bike, pardon my ignorance but what is the bottom bar for under the top tube?

Oct 25, 2017
That is a long time to wait for anything my god. Not sure I could be that patient. Beautiful bike, pardon my ignorance but what is the bottom bar for under the top tube?

Well the time includes from the point of fit up until now. I got a fit back in June/July and really wanted to make sure it was on point before I went and had this built. I placed the order in December and it didn't deliver until May because it was hand made frame.

The bar under neath is a Silica frame pump painted to match the bike

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Well the time includes from the point of fit up until now. I got a fit back in June/July and really wanted to make sure it was on point before I went and had this built. I placed the order in December and it didn't deliver until May because it was hand made frame.

The bar under neath is a Silica frame pump painted to match the bike

That is really slick that they paint it to match the bike. Really cool. Congrats.

I see that they are 8-12 weeks out on orders on their website, hope that it was worth the wait!

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

Gpatcpk.jpg

Oh man that looks hot! Worth the wait!

Trek Domane SL6. Does anyone have any suggestions on pedals? I might not buy them day 1 but from some short research the Look Keos seem to be pretty commonly used and at a good price.

I always use shimano spd sl pedals.
They're good value for money at 105 level and if you want to rent a bike sometime, odds are that they're equipped with shimano pedals.

Oct 25, 2017
That is really slick that they paint it to match the bike. Really cool. Congrats.

I see that they are 8-12 weeks out on orders on their website, hope that it was worth the wait!

It was a long process, but I def learned a ton in going through it.

Oh man that looks hot! Worth the wait!

I'll be sure to report back but I'm so scared and stoked on riding it. Scared because, holy fuck if the fit is off but also stoked because this should be 2-3lbs lighter than my current ride easily

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Scared because, holy fuck if the fit is off
Is that a reasonable concern? Frame fit geometry doesn't need to be all that precise. You have to diverge quite far from intended saddle position and stack and reach before things will start behaving strangely. Moving saddle or bars by a centimeter or two isn't a big deal, and shouldn't hurt the dynamics of the bike to any tangible degree.
If the frame is custom built for you, the design would need to be laughably disastrous to force you to do anything weird to make it work.

I mean, heck... my gravel bike is basically a beach cruiser geometry that I've fit like a road bike, and most of its handling weirdness is due to the use of road bars with a super-high-trail front-end, not the fit bodge.

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a reasonable concern? Frame fit geometry doesn't need to be all that precise. You have to diverge quite far from intended saddle position and stack and reach before things will start behaving strangely. Moving saddle or bars by a centimeter or two isn't a big deal, and shouldn't hurt the dynamics of the bike to any tangible degree.
If the frame is custom built for you, the design would need to be laughably disastrous to force you to do anything weird to make it work.

I mean, heck... my gravel bike is basically a beach cruiser geometry that I've fit like a road bike, and most of its handling weirdness is due to the use of road bars with a super-high-trail front-end, not the fit bodge.

Hey, I know all this but I'm still allowed to be worried haha

It is funny to me how there is so much focus on MM when certain parts only come in multiplier increments, like stems

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rode through pretty hard rain today on my e-bike. No problem at all, checked after I got to work and there's a smidge of water that pooled on the bottom of the battery bracket, but the connector is at the top so just had to wipe the water out. Very impressed w/ what this thing can do so far.

Also had the LBS do an electric conversion on my wife's recumbent trike -- throttle only and it tops out at ~25mph on flat land. Torque sensor needs to be adjusted but hopefully I can get that dialed in so we can do a family ride or something. She tries hard but MS really fucks with your strength and stamina, hope this gets us doing fun rides again.

Oct 25, 2017
Rode through pretty hard rain today on my e-bike. No problem at all, checked after I got to work and there's a smidge of water that pooled on the bottom of the battery bracket, but the connector is at the top so just had to wipe the water out. Very impressed w/ what this thing can do so far.

Also had the LBS do an electric conversion on my wife's recumbent trike -- throttle only and it tops out at ~25mph on flat land. Torque sensor needs to be adjusted but hopefully I can get that dialed in so we can do a family ride or something. She tries hard but MS really fucks with your strength and stamina, hope this gets us doing fun rides again.

God damn 25mph, that's awesome. Glad she's found a way to still get out on a bike inspite of the MS. I know how much of a jerk it is.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

I know some "hardcore" cyclists sneer at electric bikes (and I sometimes shake my head when a guy, sitting upright in a suit, passes me on the bike path), but hearing stories like this make their existence all worth while.

Hell I've been trying to get my wife into bike touring and I know she'll never do it without electric assistance.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Well my Bike Shop didnt have the color I wanted and Trek is out of that color in my size. So I went with them Silver/Grey one instead. They didnt have it either so they had to order it. 62cm size bikes aren't flying out the door I get it, but it should be in Wednesday. Ill take some pictures and post them then. Trek Domane SL6

DomaneSL6Disc_19_23389_A_Portrait

That is the stock image

Last edited:

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Very nice, my mate has the same model bike but a few years old, he loves it.

I've had a number of Emails today telling me the new Supersix Evo is available.... I think I need to log off my Email.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
That is one sexy looking bike.
I love the color btw. Not a bad alternative at all I would say!
Very nice, my mate has the same model bike but a few years old, he loves it.

I've had a number of Emails today telling me the new Supersix Evo is available.... I think I need to log off my Email.

Thanks, I am really excited about it. The other color being mostly black might not have been the best move considering I am in Texas it would be incredibly hot to the touch most of the time.

Just need to get some shoes now. Going to have to stop spending money for a while after that...

I dont know who is still in charge of the ResetEra Cycling Club but I requested to join on Stava, been forgetting to do that.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had my first group ride on the weekend and it was awesome! Went out as a small group of 3 but a very large pack of about 25 riders came past us so we jumped on and far out, I couldn't believe how much easier it was to maintain pace with a pack of riders pulling me along. I had heard about drafting but never knew just how much more efficient it was. Also the sound of all those chains spinning and wheels rolling and gears being changed was fantastic, the whole experience was really exciting.

Unfortunately it didn't last long because I got dropped on the first big hill lol but we went a different route to the pack anyway and then on the way back we got onto another large pack of riders and I ended up with an avg speed of about 28kmh over a 78km ride which for me is crazy huge.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I saw three Armadillos and a snake yesterday on my ride, almost hit one of the armadillos (they are so dumb). I should have taken a picture because they are really cool looking.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Finally picked a bike, got it from a downtown used bike shop, was more comfortable going that route than Kijiji. It's pretty sweet, paid $550 Canadian

Here's a picture: Bike https://imgur.com/gallery/i3xjbHR

For some reason I can't embed. Now I'm kinda confused about the derailer gear system.

I was wondering if bike era can give me some tips, maintenance guides. Also recommendations for helmet, and tools to raise my seat (I get knee pain),I also need a bike lock. Thanks

Haven't ridden a bike in 13 years. Everyday im getting more comfortable. Downhill still terrified me though.

Damn looking at that fixie test I should've bought that fixie for $400. Smh

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Finally picked a bike, got it from a downtown used bike shop, was more comfortable going that route than Kijiji. It's pretty sweet, paid $550 Canadian

Here's a picture: Bike https://imgur.com/gallery/i3xjbHR

For some reason I can't embed. Now I'm kinda confused about the derailer gear system.

I was wondering if bike era can give me some tips, maintenance guides. Also recommendations for helmet, and tools to raise my seat (I get knee pain),I also need a bike lock. Thanks

Haven't ridden a bike in 13 years. Everyday im getting more comfortable. Downhill still terrified me though.

Damn looking at that fixie test I should've bought that fixie for $400. Smh

Nice congrats on the bike mate!
From the picture it does seem that you need to raise the saddle quite a bit. You can pretty much calculate how long the distance from the top of the saddle to the middle of your crank should be (measured from the down-tube) by using your own inner seam length. Setting up the saddle <-- this is a useful link explaining it further.

From the looks of it you'll need at least an allan key to release your seat tube.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Nice bike, it'll get you around well no doubt. I agree with FondsNL above, check that saddle height & adjust as required as per the link provided. Otherwise you'll be unforfortable and nobody wants that. :-)

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm reaching the point of needing to retire my Giro Empire's. The soles are ripping, again, and the rubber is pretty worn off to the point my left foot definitely flops all over in there because they're not touching.

I think I may try the Shiman XC5 because at 100-150 it seems to be a great bang for the buck. I though about Quoc but it's hard to find a ton of info on them

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I think I'm reaching the point of needing to retire my Giro Empire's. The soles are ripping, again, and the rubber is pretty worn off to the point my left foot definitely flops all over in there because they're not touching.

I think I may try the Shiman XC5 because at 100-150 it seems to be a great bang for the buck. I though about Quoc but it's hard to find a ton of info on them

How long have you had them? I am trying out some Bontragers (espresso or Velocis) this week but I think they might be too small (only go up to a 14.5 and I normally wear a 14, supposedly they run really small). Looking at the specialized torch 2.0 or 3.0 if those dont work.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Nice congrats on the bike mate!
From the picture it does seem that you need to raise the saddle quite a bit. You can pretty much calculate how long the distance from the top of the saddle to the middle of your crank should be (measured from the down-tube) by using your own inner seam length. Setting up the saddle <-- this is a useful link explaining it further.

From the looks of it you'll need at least an allan key to release your seat tube.
Thanks, I appreciate the guide. All I need now is a helmet. I'll check out what they have in stores. Too much selection online, confusing me.

Riding is a ton of fun, been riding more than running lately =/