• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
i'm starting to hate my shoes. they're ok until i start hitting hour 3-4.
but i'm also not sure how to pick out new shoes due to the above condition, and not quite willing to drop a couple hundred on new ones yet

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Same here! But it's nothing aggressive, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Still waiting for the results though... should get them in 10 days.

I had the same. In my case it was because of repetitive injury. Did a lot of skateboarding and basketball which left my ankle in a sorry state.
One of the reasons I'm sticking to cycling.
Good luck with the off period and results!

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Had a ride out with a mate today, exploring a few new roads. The Met Office and their "sunny spells" forecast was completely rubbish since it was overcast for the whole ride and quite humid too.

HGeG9S2.jpg

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Had a ride out with a mate today, exploring a few new roads. The Met Office and their "sunny spells" forecast was completely rubbish since it was overcast for the whole ride and quite humid too.

HGeG9S2.jpg

Thats an impressive ride man, kudos!

Had a bigger 100k ride yesterday.
Followed by a sprint ride today where I emptied the tank:

2agqbnn.jpg

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fonds is becoming a beast, check that average speed!

And a huge effort from robox too, serious elevation.

I'm inspired, gonna get up early tomorrow and hit some hills before work.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Recommendations for a decent beginners off-road mountain bike under 500 dollars? Live in Colorado and would love to start hitting up some bike trails in the mountains. I find biking in a city terrifying so would be just for that purpose.

New preferably because I don't know enough about bikes to really examine the condition or what have you. Or used if from a trustworthy site, thanks!

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recommendations for a decent beginners off-road mountain bike under 500 dollars? Live in Colorado and would love to start hitting up some bike trails in the mountains. I find biking in a city terrifying so would be just for that purpose.

New preferably because I don't know enough about bikes to really examine the condition or what have you. Or used if from a trustworthy site, thanks!
you should be looking at hardtails in that price range.

What part of CO are you in?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Seems dangerous and irresponsible....... What if something goes wrong and you crash down on the peloton. You should never put other people in risk like that, can you imagine you take out the guy with the yellow jersey?

Yeah I'm inclined to agree.
While it's impressive it more than likely isn't communicated with the riders.
These guys are riding close in a huge group. Only one rider has to lose his focus and could take out dozens. Or even worse, what if he loses control of his own bike and drops right on top of the peleton.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Does anyone else have a problem finding Jerseys that are long enough? I am pretty tall, 6'4 or so and almost every Jersey I have find is at least a couple inches too short. I am not wearing bib shorts so maybe that is my problem but still kinda frustrating.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
130+ miles in my legs from the last two days, and I thought it was a good idea to do the hill climb time trial tonight, in the heat.

This was the last part/segment of the climb.

usGAesd.jpg

Would've been nice to go under 6 minutes, maybe I'll try again when I'm a bit fresher.

Does anyone else have a problem finding Jerseys that are long enough? I am pretty tall, 6'4 or so and almost every Jersey I have find is at least a couple inches too short. I am not wearing bib shorts so maybe that is my problem but still kinda frustrating.

Wear bib shorts. Trust me.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
where are you getting those cool strava pics? Just something your doing?

You need to attach one or more photos to your Strava ride and then share the ride from the app and it will let you select which photo you want to put the stats overlay onto.

One of the guys rode ahead and snapped this pic last weekend, that's me on the right. Very early in the morning, very cold and foggy day.

GZ5kSzl.jpg

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

In my experience most jerseys are designed with bib shorts underneath in mind.
They sit a bit higher thus covering otherwise shamefully exposed bellies or lower back/ arse.
I'm afraid I've yet to encounter a jersey with a longer body.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered some cheap jerseys and bibs and other kit from Amazon last week and it all turned up today. I'll post up some impressions and pics once I've tried them out.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
anyone done an e-bike conversion eg Swytch or similar? I commute to/from the station to work and my house on a folding bike, but ever since trying out Uber's jump bikes I want that boost off the lights, especially in central london where its stop/start all the time.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
In my experience most jerseys are designed with bib shorts underneath in mind.
They sit a bit higher thus covering otherwise shamefully exposed bellies or lower back/ arse.
I'm afraid I've yet to encounter a jersey with a longer body.

There are different "cuts" of jersey but even so, they do tend to still be a bit higher at the front. Race cut are cut a lot higher up in my experience with "club cut" or whatever they call it being a bit more forgiving if you have a bit of a belly.

Also, make sure you get a jersey with some gripper around the bottom to keep it in place, some cheaper jerseys omit this.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good handlebar bag? I love Ortileb stuff but they're always quite expensive. Wondering if there might be a good alternative?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't biked all July because every time I go out to walk the dogs it's hot and humid and I lose the will. Next 3 days it's going to be 95+ 😭

You can use these 26" weight plates as rims for your mountain bike for a great workout.

4bb8c11c-55d8-472b-aw9jk8.jpeg

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Good news!

Just had my 6 week check-up (fractured acetabulum), and apparently everything is where it needs to be. I'm now going to be able to partial weight bear on my right leg. Basically means I can put half my body weight on that side, so in theory I can stand unaided (obviously still need my crutches to move).

6 weeks to next test, but at least I can do different exercises now to ease the boredom. Looking forward to trying out Alter-G too.

Swelling still pretty bad at the moment, but hoping it will get better now I'm able to get the leg working a bit more to improve blood flow. Going to slowly try to start sleeping on my side again now that I'm not so worried about pressure on the hip.

Onwards and upwards!

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I haven't biked all July because every time I go out to walk the dogs it's hot and humid and I lose the will. Next 3 days it's going to be 95+ 😭

You can use these 26" weight plates as rims for your mountain bike for a great workout.

4bb8c11c-55d8-472b-aw9jk8.jpeg

Fight the heat! It will be 98 outside when I finally get on my bike this afternoon JOIN ME in the suffering.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, acetabulum, that's a funny body part name you made up

Seriously though, great news, keep getting better. Even though I am not cycling I am doing squats and deadlifts again so I don't have skinny legs.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Great to hear from you Psychotext !
Glad to hear you're improving!

Teggy I also started to incorporate some weight lifting in my training.
Put on about 2 kilos but that was to be expected.
Noticing my power is increasing so that's pretty much the goal tbh.
Did develop a slight tendinitis in my ankle. Not quite sure if its from cycling or squatting weight.
Doesnt hurt too much and I can still ride, so I'll wait it out for now.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
I have a rusted urban bycicle that I want to do some maintenance to use again but it's kind hard to know if there is any limitations in the parts I'm looking for or what can be changed individually without losing compatibility with the other stuff like the brakes and cassete. Even the wheel which have rusted spokes, I don't know if I can/should change them individually or rathe buy an aentire wheel.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here iron their clothes (shirt) at work? I am afraid my dress shirt is going to get wrinkly in my bag during the commute.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Treadle drives are one of many ideas that are about as old as the bicycle, which someone tries to market as "new" every few years.

The basic premise around them is wrong: rotary cranks accommodate natural humanwalking/running leg form much better than up-and-down treadles do.

As usual, the marketing material is full of nonsense. Claiming that the longer crank arm results in more leverage makes no sense unless you totally ignore how gearing work. Claiming that double the leverage means double the power is blatantly wrong about how physics works. Claiming that gravity is on your side during a vertical downstroke is true, but a little-known fact about gravity that might surprise the video's creators is that it also resists the motion of your leg as you bring it back up.

Last edited:

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here iron their clothes (shirt) at work? I am afraid my dress shirt is going to get wrinkly in my bag during the commute.

I take it you can shower at work? Is there a possibility to leave some hangers at work and when you shower just put it on a hanger and let it 'steam' a bit next to the shower. It doesn't solve the big wrinkles but if you properly folded the shirt before going to work the small creases should be a bit smoother.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Get a coffee-table sized hardback book or folio and fold your shirt around it before you put it in your bag. That'll keep the worst of the wrinkles at bay.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completed my first 50 mile ride today! Can't imagine ever having the legs for 100 but it was only a few months ago that I said the same thing about riding 50 so I'll just keep hitting the road and see what happens.

mAiuhAd_d.jpg

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Completed my first 50 mile ride today! Can't imagine ever having the legs for 100 but it was only a few months ago that I said the same thing about riding 50 so I'll just keep hitting the road and see what happens.

mAiuhAd_d.jpg

Nice work mate and nice pace as well!
Might seem impossible now, but I bet you'll finish a century ride sooner than you'd imagine.