• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Hey everyone!

You all probably know GCN.
I'm collaborating with them to host my survey on Cyclists Palsy. The results will be used in an article published in the dutch journal of hand therapy.
Feel free to answer the servey here
Or watch the entire show here

Thanks!

Will watch right now, curious about the outcome, as I have experienced the problem and was a reason for me to change to drop bars.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Will watch right now, curious about the outcome, as I have experienced the problem and was a reason for me to change to drop bars.

I'll definitely keep you all in the loop!
I'll be writing up an english version of the published article as well, so you'll get to read that at some point in the near-ish future.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
$3500. I feel like there is a limited audience for this thing, but we shall see.

223c4bb1-3cd6-4690-972nj00.png

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone!

You all probably know GCN.
I'm collaborating with them to host my survey on Cyclists Palsy. The results will be used in an article published in the dutch journal of hand therapy.
Feel free to answer the servey here
Or watch the entire show here

Thanks!

Completed the survey. Interesting because I've always attributed any numbness to carpal tunnel from mouse/keyboard usage. I figured it was being aggravated while riding. Is there a way to tell if it's carpal tunnel vs cyclists palsy? Maybe which fingers are tingling?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I was catching up on my Vuelta recordings and saw something I wasn't familiar with. Some poor rider had to wear a backpack with water bottles in it for his team. I've always seen cars give those out. He unfortunately also took a dive right in the middle of the pack.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I was catching up on my Vuelta recordings and saw something I wasn't familiar with. Some poor rider had to wear a backpack with water bottles in it for his team. I've always seen cars give those out. He unfortunately also took a dive right in the middle of the pack.
Team cars aren't allowed to just hang out in the middle of a large group. If you want to be resupplied within the peloton at any arbitrary moment, a rider will have to drop back to the motor convoy, grab a bunch of food and water, and carry it back up to their teammates. Performing little individual time trials like this is part of being a domestique.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Completed the survey. Interesting because I've always attributed any numbness to carpal tunnel from mouse/keyboard usage. I figured it was being aggravated while riding. Is there a way to tell if it's carpal tunnel vs cyclists palsy? Maybe which fingers are tingling?

Thats exactly it. With carpal tunnel your thumb index and middle finger tingle or become numb. With Cyclists Palsy its your pinky and ring finger.
If all fingers become numb you're compressing both nerves.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I am on the market for a commuter city bike. Anything comparable in to the Kona Dew Plus?

http://konaworld.com/dew_plus.cfm

similar price range or under $1000 USD total cost would be good.

I would like disk breaks and not too skinny tires and I want a straight handle bar too.

anyone know what is the deal with bikes Like the Kona Dew Delux (http://konaworld.com/dew_deluxe.cfm) that only has gears on the back tire? I've not tried one of those before... why don't you want to shift gears by the petals?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Canyon Commuter

Canyon has a similar bike, it's slightly more expensive but uses an 11 speed and has slightly higher end components.

The gears in the back thing, is an ease of use feature.
One system uses a 1x system the other a 2x system. You will need to shift the "front gear" with the 2x system to use the full range of the gears. With the 1x system it's all there without needing to shift the "front gear".

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Canyon Commuter

Canyon has a similar bike, it's slightly more expensive but uses an 11 speed and has slightly higher end components.

The gears in the back thing, is an ease of use feature.
One system uses a 1x system the other a 2x system. You will need to shift the "front gear" with the 2x system to use the full range of the gears. With the 1x system it's all there without needing to shift the "front gear".

Thanks! I can't find that bike on Canyon's USA web site. I can only find it with an EU price on the web site. I guess that means I would have to import it which is probably a level of commitment that I don't have for buying a bike.

Does anyone know what the "rear only" shifter is called vs the one that has a "front gear" shifter? I am interested in learning more about the two types of shifters. And I don't know what term to use to do a google search... the searches I tried didn't find anything...

The ease of use of a potentially only having to shift one gear sounds pretty cool to me, however I am not sure if there are any drawbacks. Does anyone have experience with rear only shifters? Thanks again!

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
It is generally referred to as a 1x or a 2x system (indicating the amount of blades at the front).
It's spoken as one by or two by.
Googling 1x versus 2x should give you some answers!

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
So I ordered a Motobecane Mulekick CX Pro off of BikeIsland. They had a 58cm with no fork nor headset at $850. Was wondering if anyone here would be willing to help me part out the fork and headset before I inevitably have a LBS assemble it. Begrudgingly I assume, but I couldn't pass up Sram force 1x, Ritchey components and decent WTB wheels at that price point.

It's a 1-1/8in steerer with 45mm crown and offset, at least that's what is going by the stock page. Would like to have at least 40-42c tire clearance.

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
So, today is the day.
Doing the Ventoux triple climb challenge (Club des Cingles) +-140km and 4500 m climbing.
If its your kind of thing you can follow it on instagram @annekromhout as I'll be posting some story updates.

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck!

Last month I did the ride I had been training for all summer. Ended up with 230 miles and about 4000 feet of climbing.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Did it! Ended up being 150km and 4800 meters of climbing because of some re-routing.

Super stoked and super stuffed. Time for beer.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I went to change the pedals on my bike and I can't get them off. I can't believe I'm going to have to go to the shop.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I am now the proud owner of a Park tools pedal wrench...which I will probably almost never use, but I like this bike shop so I decided to give them a little business for helping me out.

In other news, I can't match the saddle heights on my two bikes. It seems the saddle has to be lower on my gravel bike, which I can only imagine is due to differences in pedals and shoes. The other slight problem is that the Giant seatpost I have only allows very specific tilt angles. This makes for very easy adjustments, but my ideal angle appears to be between two settings. I'll have to deal with it for now, but I guess I should look into seatposts.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I changed the seat and bar tape on my commuter the other day from black to fake leather brown. I was concerned the seat color might not match the bar tape as they're different brands but I reckon they're close enough and I love the way it looks now:

hiMdsL4.jpg

I also had a pretty big stack on the weekend! Came around this corner on my Giant TCR at about 25kph and didn't see that it was covered in sand and gravel until it was too late - you can see my wheel mark in the dirt:

uG2IndJ.jpg

The bike slid out from under me and I went down fairly hard. Ripped my pants, jersey and my gilet. Got a huge gravel rash on my thigh and skinned my knee, arm and shoulder pretty bad too but most importantly my bike is fine, it went down on the non-drivetrain side so there's a bit of rash on the left hood and brake lever, the outside edge of the pedal and the thru axle quick release but the frame and all the good stuff came out of it unscathed.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Incredible effort mate, awesome pics on Strava too! I can't imagine ever being fit enough to complete an epic ride like that but I sure am inspired.

It's what I would've thought a few years back as well, but hey here I am finishing it.
Might take some time but you can always work your way towards certain fitness goals. Doesn't have to happen overnight.
I don't think you would've imagined cycling about 80k's a few years back either!

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what man, you're absolutely right I could never have imagined that. Now I'm pumped up to ride even further!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the last big cycling weekend of the season for me. Did a surprisingly quick 10 miles on the gravel bike today to stay loose. Fit is feeling really good with the exception that I want to tilt the saddle up a tiny smidge and can't. But on both bikes my rear is feeling better than it has at any time since I startled cycling more seriously 4 years ago.

Tomorrow is a 30 mile mixed terrain ride where I'll finally get to take my gravel bike on some trails.

Sunday is 45 miles through Boston with only 1200 ft of climbing. A really nice ride I've done 2 out of the last 3 years.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I am on the market for a commuter city bike. Anything comparable in to the Kona Dew Plus?

http://konaworld.com/dew_plus.cfm

similar price range or under $1000 USD total cost would be good.

I would like disk breaks and not too skinny tires and I want a straight handle bar too.

anyone know what is the deal with bikes Like the Kona Dew Delux (http://konaworld.com/dew_deluxe.cfm) that only has gears on the back tire? I've not tried one of those before... why don't you want to shift gears by the petals?
I just bought this. For me, perfect looks and integrated LEDs make it really convenient. Light and speedy as well. I have hills on my daily ride, so the 9x2 gears also work for me.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Cycling weekend is done. My first trail riding went fairly well. The terrain fell into a few categories:

Some areas that my bike (or really anyone's on the ride) had any business being on, but were necessary to get certain places. There was some walking and rolling up steep hills involved.

Some more technical areas that I could ride more successfully with more practice and confidence. I felt better on these as the day went on. Navigating a pretty nasty rock or tight gap and getting up a steep incline feels pretty good.

A bunch of trails and fire roads that were really in the sweet spot for a gravel/adventure bike. Some of my favorite riding so far, especially the forest trails that were mostly clear of rocks and roots. I was able to a least get comfortable enough to snap some quick pictures on these trails.

48738220898_23aea212f2_c.jpg

48738220803_948915272f_c.jpg

Then roads, of course, which were an nice occasional rest from the more technical stuff.

We wound up taking a break from the rain because it coincided with the rest stop, so with the general slower pace it was a long day on the bike for just 30 miles. My butt actually felt great the whole day and I had plenty of energy in my legs. The one body part that actually wanted relief was my hands - the mechanical disc breaks required a lot of hard squeezing, and coupled with wet gloves, that made for some discomfort.

I also think if I used this bike for a similar ride, I would switch to my tires with knobs all over - I spun out on a few hills and they probably would have helped.

Today was an easy 45 as expected. I felt a little tight at the start but eventually felt good.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
you guys have any tips or recommendations for commuting in the rain? specifically jackets or rain coats.
its almost rainy season where i live and i think i will continue to bike. there are showers at work if needed but i don't want to have to wake up any earlier.
I keep my work clothes at work so i don't mind getting my biking clothes wet as long as i can stay comfortable. keeping my backpack dry might be the most important thing.

i am thinking of getting a commuter e-bike to make things super easier on myself as well, that can be my rain bike and my single speed baby can be used in the good weather.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
you guys have any tips or recommendations for commuting in the rain? specifically jackets or rain coats.
its almost rainy season where i live and i think i will continue to bike. there are showers at work if needed but i don't want to have to wake up any earlier.
I keep my work clothes at work so i don't mind getting my biking clothes wet as long as i can stay comfortable. keeping my backpack dry might be the most important thing.

i am thinking of getting a commuter e-bike to make things super easier on myself as well, that can be my rain bike and my single speed baby can be used in the good weather.

Jacket... Something lightweight, I have one that folds up so I can fit in my jersey pocket.. Just remember because it's waterproof / resistant it'll trap sweat so depending on your ride you may just ride without it.

Me personally I'm more concerned keeping my feet dry... Nothing worse than tipping a swimming pool out of each shoe when you get to work and know you don't have enough time to completely dry them.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Castelli Gabba 3 or a Castelli Perfetto with some Sportful NoRain Fiandre bib shorts. Granted its the best part of £300 (Or whatever that equates to in your currency) but worth it.

I've just bought an Ale Klimatik Atmo jersey, not tested it yet though to see how it compares to the above.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Hello everyone... again.

Just got myself a smart trainer for the upcoming winter. Long story short the trainer came with a 11-28 cassette but I use a 11-32 cassette. Do I need to get a new cassette or should have no problems with the different cassettes?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone... again.

Just got myself a smart trainer for the upcoming winter. Long story short the trainer came with a 11-28 cassette but I use a 11-32 cassette. Do I need to get a new cassette or should have no problems with the different cassettes?

If it's the same number of gears it will work - you might find you have to make some minor indexing adjustments, but maybe not even that. You might want to match your cassette just so you have the same setup indoor and out, though.

In other news, I signed up for some cyclocross practice. Crazy things are happening!

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Castelli Gabba 3 or a Castelli Perfetto with some Sportful NoRain Fiandre bib shorts. Granted its the best part of £300 (Or whatever that equates to in your currency) but worth it.

I've just bought an Ale Klimatik Atmo jersey, not tested it yet though to see how it compares to the above.
i wont lie, i dont understand what any of this means.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Allroad drivetrain ponderings...

VUuUVFo.png

Could such a thing really work? Maybe, if I throw a front friction shifter at it. Failure would be an expensive experiment!

hmm

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Allroad drivetrain ponderings...

VUuUVFo.png

Could such a thing really work? Maybe, if I throw a front friction shifter at it. Failure would be an expensive experiment!

hmm

Am I reading this right? You're planning on using the triple from the bike with the 11-28 cassette?

Wouldn't the chain crossover just lead to living on the middle ring and the 14-23 range on the rear?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Am I reading this right? You're planning on using the triple from the bike with the 11-28 cassette?
No, the Shimano road drivetrain is just there for range and step-size visualization. My plan is to use a 46-36-24 triple with an 11-32 11-speed cassette.

Wouldn't the chain crossover just lead to living on the middle ring and the 14-23 range on the rear?
Middle ring chainline should be fine across the whole cassette in the same way that 1x is fine. I probably won't want to spend much time in the small-small or big-big areas, though. (And in this hypothetical drivetrain, I'd probably exceed derailleur wrap by a couple teeth. With how I tend to size my chains, small-small will probably go slack and be unusable.)