• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
My mountain bike frame is definitely too small for me so I'm eyeing up some frame options since pretty much all my components are worth holding onto.

Looking at a Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ibis Ripley and Intense Sniper Trail. Where's Psychotext when I need hi,

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
TarpitCarnivore Feeling sorry for himself. Things were going fairly well with my recovery but I've had a bit of a setback and been in a lot of pain the last week.

I actually considered a Tallboy recently. My only issue was that the geometry wasn't anywhere near as long as I like it.

Sniper Trail is a bit more XC than those other two bikes though in my opinion.

Not that it should matter, but that Ripley is a properly sexy looking frame.

Oct 25, 2017
TarpitCarnivore Feeling sorry for himself. Things were going fairly well with my recovery but I've had a bit of a setback and been in a lot of pain the last week.

I actually considered a Tallboy recently. My only issue was that the geometry wasn't anywhere near as long as I like it.

Sniper Trail is a bit more XC than those other two bikes though in my opinion.

Not that it should matter, but that Ripley is a properly sexy looking frame.

Rest up bud and feel better

I'm just going to ride the, for a bunch and see. My friends shop will have all three do it will be easy to do so

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Just crazy. I love when the guy just looks at the trail and says, "people rode down this!?"

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just to make me feel even worse, Froome will be racing in October. Not just riding his bike, fucking racing!

He injured himself after me... I can't even walk yet! (and trust me, I've been putting in the effort)

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, comparing yourself to Chris Froome when it comes to cycling is probably not a particularly fair comparison!

But more seriously, Psychotext , I understand how dispiriting it can be to suffer a setback on the road to recovery. It certainly sounds like you've been putting in loads of effort so just keep it up and try not to put too much pressure on yourself to be back to normal before you're ready. Onwards and upwards, fella.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'll be honest, that got to me more than it probably should have.

Doesn't help that things seemed to be going well, and then they very much weren't. Stupid body.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Been busy lately with the last few races of the season but that's it over & done with for another year.

Onward to 2020.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I could but I think adding yet another competition/season on top of Road & Time Trial would just take over my life, moreso than it already has. :-D

Though I have been eyeing up a CX/Gravel bike recently, but shhhh don't tell anyone.

N+1! N+1!

Did some practice today on the trails after taking my inhaler. I made myself ride laps for 35 minutes straight, which included one decent hill run and some punchy climbs. It's not a route that's as demanding as the practice course I've been struggling with but it's better than nothing. I managed to keep my average heart rate around 175, with the most stressful parts at around 185. There were definitely parts where I was hurting (top of the run, for example), but this loop allowed for a chance to catch my breath after that. Will the actual courses do the same? I guess we'll see. I'll keep trying to get more conditioning in the meantime (although the first race is only a week away).

Dismounts are doing ok, but I'm still giving myself the occasional nasty bruise on mounts 🤣

Oct 25, 2017
The Ripley is the right choice if you have the $ for it.

reviews seem to love it but the worry about descents and technical climbs getting fidgety have me a bit side eye but I just gotta ride it. My one draw to Santa Cruz is I know those bikes are bombproof and have great warranty

ive definitely rule out the intense. It seems to def be more Xc minded despite the travel and geo.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
reviews seem to love it but the worry about descents and technical climbs getting fidgety have me a bit side eye but I just gotta ride it. My one draw to Santa Cruz is I know those bikes are bombproof and have great warranty

ive definitely rule out the intense. It seems to def be more Xc minded despite the travel and geo.

True the SC warranty is awesome. Is the geo much different?

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Hey chaps, I'm getting thoroughly fed up of punctures on my commute so I'm giving some thought to going tubeless (as I'm in the market for a wheel upgrade, or perhaps even a new bike altogether). I'm pretty clueless about the whole thing so I was hoping to pick your collective brains a bit and see what you all think about running tubeless tyres for commuting. I understand that it can be a right pain in the arse to seat tyres on rims without a compressor or shock pump, and that sealant can be messy as hell, but on the flipside I should be able to shrug off small punctures and also run my tyres at lower pressures than with tubes.

Would be really interested to hear your experiences of tubeless - have you ditched the tubes, and if so how do you find it? If not, why not? :)

sorry got distracted...

so the boardmans from the last couple of years have used a 700 x XX wheels, before that it was a 26' wheel set.

which if it's the latter, you'd be best getting a MTB UST wheelset as tubeless ready and tubeless compatible can be a minefield of compatibility issues.

if it's the former you again have the MTB standards for 29' or the shitfest that is tubeless ready for road wheels as there is competing standards so you have to know which tyre sets are compatible with which wheel sets, though fortunately ISO 5775 is being revised to basically meet the Mavic UST for road standards, which suggests theres been some agreement that things need to be made easier for everyone.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that a lot of cross bikes have free hubs that sound like someone casting fishing line. What's the story?

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed that a lot of cross bikes have free hubs that sound like someone casting fishing line. What's the story?

Just how high end hubs are built, more pawls, more engagement etc usually yields a louder hub. Sometimes packing them with grease can make them quieter.

You can also go the opposite way and get a sprag clutch hub which has instant engagement and is silent.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
sorry got distracted...

so the boardmans from the last couple of years have used a 700 x XX wheels, before that it was a 26' wheel set.

which if it's the latter, you'd be best getting a MTB UST wheelset as tubeless ready and tubeless compatible can be a minefield of compatibility issues.

if it's the former you again have the MTB standards for 29' or the shitfest that is tubeless ready for road wheels as there is competing standards so you have to know which tyre sets are compatible with which wheel sets, though fortunately ISO 5775 is being revised to basically meet the Mavic UST for road standards, which suggests theres been some agreement that things need to be made easier for everyone.
Cheers man. My wheels are 700c so it's the fun and games of road wheel tubeless standards for me! I saw that Mavic have their road UST wheels but my understanding was that currently those are only compatible (or at least, guaranteed to be compatible) with their own tubeless tyres. Got to love competing standards... hopefully everyone can settle on one standard sooner rather than later.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Cheers man. My wheels are 700c so it's the fun and games of road wheel tubeless standards for me! I saw that Mavic have their road UST wheels but my understanding was that currently those are only compatible (or at least, guaranteed to be compatible) with their own tubeless tyres. Got to love competing standards... hopefully everyone can settle on one standard sooner rather than later.

I've run tubeless for 4 years or so. Originally on some DT Swiss wheels, then some Dura-Ace and now on Fulcrum Racing Zero. I've had no real issues with seating the tyre, I even started off just using a normal JoeBlow pump, though it is quicker if you are able to blast the air in from a tank.

I've always run Schwalbe One/Pro One tyres through Summer and move onto Hutchinson Fusion5 All Season for Winter.

I would never go back to running clinchers.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No problem, I forgot to mention sealant. I currently use Orange Seal & Orange Seal Endurance. Though I have some of the new Muc-Off stuff (Not yet tested) and want to test Caffelatex too. I used to use DocBlue, which is basically rebranded Stans, and I don't rate it too highly. I've also heard that the Mavic stuff that you get with UST wheels/tyres isn't too great either, probably also rebranded Stans.

Nov 3, 2017
Any advice for cycling in the UK? Specifically in Scotland. Haven't rode a bicycle for a long time and I just read about the highway code

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I looked it up and the guy who lapped me after 1.5 laps in practice the other day is Cat 1 so I feel less bad about that XD

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Any advice for cycling in the UK? Specifically in Scotland. Haven't rode a bicycle for a long time and I just read about the highway code

Helmets aren't mandatory but you'd need to be utterly insane not to wear one.

Be prepared to be beeped at frequently by drivers because most of them hate cyclists.

The roads can be pretty bad so watch for potholes, glass, thorns, litter etc.

Remember to use hand signals when turning.

Pay attention to the weather, its very changeable.

Use front & rear lights if its overcast or getting towards 17:00, it gets dark very quick.

Don't ride on motorways.

Oct 25, 2017

At this point it's not that bad at all. Even with the competing standards it's pretty easy to search online. So many tires have tubeless compatibl beads now.

No problem, I forgot to mention sealant. I currently use Orange Seal & Orange Seal Endurance. Though I have some of the new Muc-Off stuff (Not yet tested) and want to test Caffelatex too. I used to use DocBlue, which is basically rebranded Stans, and I don't rate it too highly. I've also heard that the Mavic stuff that you get with UST wheels/tyres isn't too great either, probably also rebranded Stans.

I switched from stans to orange seal and had no idea orange seal was that fast to solidify. I did a tire swap after putting some in a few weeks back and it was the first time encountering it post install. I was used to stand being liquid for a while and took my time cleaned up. I had to get the power washer out to get it off the driveway

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
At this point it's not that bad at all. Even with the competing standards it's pretty easy to search online. So many tires have tubeless compatibl beads now.

I switched from stans to orange seal and had no idea orange seal was that fast to solidify. I did a tire swap after putting some in a few weeks back and it was the first time encountering it post install. I was used to stand being liquid for a while and took my time cleaned up. I had to get the power washer out to get it off the driveway

Normal or Endurance?

Normal only lasts about 4 weeks but it's far better at sealing holes than a lot of other sealants.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
normal. It's def been in there for more than 4 weeks. It was all liquid on the way out but as soon as it was in open air and spread thin on my driveway it dried up super quick

Its good stuff, definitely creates a membrane really quick once it hits the air and seals decent sized holes. Just doesnt last long (according to the label).

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
First pedal strike on my new bike smashed the pedal in two off a tree, oh well. The stock pedals the shop gave me felt like I had no grip so it was already on my list to upgrade. Still sad though.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Took my bike out this morning. 76 degrees it was wonderful comapred to 90 three days ago. A hiker decided they would not scoot to the side of the path and so I had two options, cactus or off the mountain.

3 hours later pulling cactus I am an advocate of forcing all trail users to learn the damn triangle of movement.

Oct 25, 2017
Took my bike out this morning. 76 degrees it was wonderful comapred to 90 three days ago. A hiker decided they would not scoot to the side of the path and so I had two options, cactus or off the mountain.

3 hours later pulling cactus I am an advocate of forcing all trail users to learn the damn triangle of movement.

hiker has right of way

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a horse on that ride that busted my pedal.

They definitely have the right of way. Not that I or anyone else would test it.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
hiker has right of way

hiker does not always have the right away it is situational per trail as is marked on the sign. Hiker also if given fair warning should not be a dick and plant themselves in the middle of the trail. I will also point out that out of 25 years of riding this trail multiple times a week I have never encountered ruder hikers than just this year.

writing it off as new snowbirds. I bring up the triangle as horse users are running into hiker issues as well.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Had a great trail ride today. I did 5 loops of my little course, hitting all my dismounts and even having one textbook perfect remount (felt so good LOL). I was concentrating on keeping a comfortable pace and it felt so much better than the other day - even though I was moving at a better average speed my heart rate was a little lower. Granted, it was about 10 degrees cooler, so that could have had a lot to do with it, or I was just having a bad day on Saturday.

My saddle is also feeling great. I wish it hadn't taken 4 years to get here but it is what it is.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Crossresults is a really cool site. This should be pretty close to my course this weekend, if not exactly the same. It's not nearly as twitchy as the practice course, so hopefully that will help with stamina.

It should be 4 laps - it's going to rain a bit this week, but I don't think to the degree that it will muck up the course. That means I need to avoid getting lapped for 3 laps to be allowed to finish the race.

I think I need to avoid being tempted to keep up in the first lap to avoid blowing up. Based on past times, if I can average about 9.5 minute laps I should be able to finish. My plan is just to ride comfortably and monitor my time.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I've been pretty fucking broke since I picked up my bike and geared up, ended up having to get some bootleg chester race face knockoff pedals on amazon, apparently they're pretty decent. I've already missed a few times out with my mates waiting for a replacement.

Oct 25, 2017
Rode a Tallboy today and could not get on with it. The steep angle just made it feel so damn twitchy on anything that wasn't a decline.

Gunna rip the Ripley around next. I think this will be more in my wheelhouse

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Guys I finally got shoes in (I'm a size 50, so they were special order) and clipped in for the first time in my life on a non-stationary bike.

that was incredible! I felt like Superman!It doesn't fundamentally change anything ... but I felt like I skipped ahead two months of practice or something as a beginner.

Anyway, have had the bike for a bit less than two weeks now, and have ridden every day it hasn't been raining. I think tonight was ride #5. First was like four miles. Then six . Then eight back to back. And just a quick five again tonight.

short rides, I know. But a huge bump from nothing.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
So a lot happened since the last time I posted. We got in contact and put the order at Fairlight for our two bikes, one Secan in blue and one in grey, 51T and 58T, GRX 2X800, 700C Hope wheels with Panaracer Passela. Estimated Delivery date beginning of November - which we are very happy with because it looked like April 2020 on their time table for a period of time, massive backorder for the 51T size.

A few weeks ago we went on a 50km tour and just took a path into the woods with light gravel, everything was fine, till we got to a familiar part with big rocks and it was so sketchy to ride down on 28mm tires, I swore I will never do that again with my current bike. Don't get me wrong, I drove MTBs my whole youth in Austria and was living on a small mountain but with 28mm and too much pressure, the stones were flying left and right ^_^ Uh, and an personal best for me, beat one of the climbing parts on this course, was very proud - overall the concentration on gears and RPM/spinning is paying off.

Back to the preparation for the bikes, I ordered a lot of stuff, from tools to pedals. We also decided not to put the bikes in the cellar and keep them on a rack in the apartment. Looking forward to get all the tools (nothing special, torque wrench and so on) to practice a little bit on the current bikes.

Few things I'm a little bit worried about, whole bike fitting part (Fairlight couldn't use my bike fit data, because the company that did it uses some strange measurements and the one from my GF got lost/data lost at the company). So we chose standard recommendation for stem and crank length, no spacers. To get a little bit of knowledge and some help I ordered a bike fitting set from ergon for the basic stuff. Hopefully I find a good LBS willing to take us as customers in the long run. Needless to say we are more than excited for the bikes.

Hope you all doing well!