• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Rode my first cross race today. Absolut downpour in the lead up and then tapered off with a slight drizzle for my race; every other race was just a full on downpour

anywya 89 people registered, only 59 raced. I came in 40th and completed all my laps. The course was fairly hilly for cross, lots of off camber (which it's insane how many people can't handle). My splits were pretty even but I just lack the power for the climb we had. I made up ground on all technical sections.

how was the mud?

Oct 25, 2017
Teggy heres a view of the course by time the later races went. The climb is from after the barriers up past the two steps, cross the road and then around the structure. It was long and real separation maker

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
NJ

the tennis court off camber stuff was my favorite, along with the descents. Plenty of hard braking by people and I was just cruising it under control

how do you not slip in the mud on the off camber?

here's a picture of me...um...carrying my bike. I've lost 30 lbs this year yet still manage to look pudgy 😭

6633c427-3839-426a-9pdk53.jpeg

Last edited:

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had one of my most gruelling rides ever this weekend, nothing too serious by experienced riders standards, 81kms with 1.3kms of elevation but most of that elevation was concentrated in 2 big climbs. I've done the climbs before individually but not both in the same ride. Even on their own I had to work my arse off to get up them but both in the same ride was a serious challenge, I was in survival mode for most of the second climb. My body desperately wanted me to rest but my brain was like, what are you gonna do? This is the only way back home, it isn't like I could turn around so I just kept on grinding in my lowest gear until I finally got to the top. Satisfying af but damn I was wrecked after.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
AusGeno Yeah the most exhausting rides are often the ones you don't really expect to be tough. One of the hardest rides I'd ever done was in Gran Canaria, constant climbing and descending along the coast with up to 25% inclines.
It was "only" a 60k ride or something but I was completely drained after that one.

HTupolev Those autumn shots are making me jealous, you've been having some awesome weather!

Teggy and TarpitCarnivore Awesome to see your race reports guys. It's definitely making me think about taking up cross for the next winter season.
I've got some nice trails in the woods near my home here in Utrecht. Probably a more consistent alternative than hoping for a dry spell here in the Netherlands during the fall and winter season.

Oct 25, 2017
how do you not slip in the mud on the off camber?

here's a picture of me...um...carrying my bike. I've lost 30 lbs this year yet still manage to look pudgy 😭

6633c427-3839-426a-9pdk53.jpeg

embrace the pudge, I have! And that's awesome to hear about the weight. I went through a similar thing a few years ago and it instilled confidence again. Keep rocking it and dropping.

during my rage the mud was not as bad that bad yet but it was getting there. It's all in balance and body positioning. Find a small slope and just practice s turns on it, or use your bike to climb a rootier climb. What I learned on a mountain bike definitely helped a ton

FondsNL i generally don't like racing because of money and time but this was close and with my new bike I said eff it. I'm jumping into a bunch of gravel races this year including land run 100 which is basically ripping a band aid off for them

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
you guys all got great places to ride whereas it's pretty shit where i am. Warwick is not kind for decent non-road biking routes.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the nearby bike shops is doing a series of mixed terrain rides in november and I signed up. It will keep me cycling outside and practicing riding on some technical terrain.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the nearby bike shops is doing a series of mixed terrain rides in november and I signed up. It will keep me cycling outside and practicing riding on some technical terrain.

yeah buddy!

BTW Nov 1 registration opens for Rooted Vermont (IIRC you're in Mass area) and it's 85 mile, 8200 feet of all gravel ride that Ted King helped start.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
yeah buddy!

BTW Nov 1 registration opens for Rooted Vermont (IIRC you're in Mass area) and it's 85 mile, 8200 feet of all gravel ride that Ted King helped start.

LOL that much climbing would destroy me

edit: oh, registration, not the ride. Well, even so, I need to see how my training goes before committing to a ride like that. I'd still like to try D2R2, or one of the shorter D2R2 routes. Either one I'd have to stay overnight.

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Yikes, that's horrible :/

On another note:

Does anyone have any experience with being a Rapha member?
I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong in February and obviously I'll be doing some cycling.
Renting bikes there seems to come a pretty premium price. I looked into things and becoming a Rapha member means you can rent actually good bikes at a much lower price.
Renting for about four days is already more expensive than a Rapha membership (€160).
Curious to know if any of you have experience with it!

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes, that's horrible :/

On another note:

Does anyone have any experience with being a Rapha member?
I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong in February and obviously I'll be doing some cycling.
Renting bikes there seems to come a pretty premium price. I looked into things and becoming a Rapha member means you can rent actually good bikes at a much lower price.
Renting for about four days is already more expensive than a Rapha membership (€160).
Curious to know if any of you have experience with it!
Can't you take your bike with you?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Took my Brompton to a big climb today. By far the highest I have done with the foldable.

rBYN1UF.png

The scariest descent of my life. Also, took nearly 30 minutes longer than my previous climb on my road bike.

Next goal is to take the fixie! (or is that a terrible idea?)

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Is alcohol safe to use on carbon?

I have found out that the easier and cleanest way to clean my bike is using hand desinfecting wipes, but I'm not sure if the alcohol in them can harm my carbon frame and/or components.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

I have found out that the easier and cleanest way to clean my bike is using hand desinfecting wipes, but I'm not sure if the alcohol in them can harm my carbon frame and/or components.

If the carbon is protected by a paintjob the amount of alcohol in wipes wont be an issue.
Exposed carbon can be damaged though. The resin bonding the carbon can be damaged because of the diluting properties of alchohol.

Oct 25, 2017

As with any cleaning thing, spot test. I usually do it on the BB or under side of the top/down tube

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Recently broke 2000mi on my ebike odometer. Not bad for ~4months of commutes. Absolutely recommended for folks like me who had to give up bike commuting due to it taking too much time to meet other commitments -- near total elimination of prep (in the summer I rode in buttoned hiking shirt + pants, in winter I'm either in raingear or jacket+underlayer and jeans, at aerobic HR what little sweat I have wicks off almost immediately), negligible increase in travel time if your route was already primarily on 25-40mph roads.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, despite so much improvement on my saddle comfort on the road, my road bike on the trainer is just torture.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to start carrying a bottle full of syrup.

OMG my trainer was 1/2 inch uphill.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
url

That time again. Pretty happy with this year so far.
My goal was to ride 5000k, and I've oassed that goal by quite a bit already.
Aiming to come in a bit over 7000k.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
OK, time for FASHION TALK

I've got my first of 3 mixed terrain rides coming up this weekend and want to dress appropriately. My problem is that I warm up and am afraid of overheating. Temps are supposed to max out at 42 F and will probably be in the 30s at the start of the ride.

My plan is to wear a merino cotton base layer and then a long sleeve jersey (this one https://www.the-house.com/lg3gecl06by16zz-louis-garneau-bike-jerseys.html). I'll keep a wind breaker in my pocket.

Am I in danger of being too warm? I can't take off the jersey, so that's my worry.

How about thermal bib vs. bib and leg warmers?

Oct 25, 2017
OK, time for FASHION TALK

I've got my first of 3 mixed terrain rides coming up this weekend and want to dress appropriately. My problem is that I warm up and am afraid of overheating. Temps are supposed to max out at 42 F and will probably be in the 30s at the start of the ride.

My plan is to wear a merino cotton base layer and then a long sleeve jersey (this one https://www.the-house.com/lg3gecl06by16zz-louis-garneau-bike-jerseys.html). I'll keep a wind breaker in my pocket.

Am I in danger of being too warm? I can't take off the jersey, so that's my worry.

How about thermal bib vs. bib and leg warmers?

At that temps I would do thermal bibs, knee warmers, and booties

for tops it's much harder. I did a 40 degree ride in a thermal and wind vest and was perfectly fine. i Did another 30 in a sleeveless base, long sleeve jersey and gore jacket and was freezing on my arms.

i think your plan is sound though that jersey looks thicker than mine. I would probably opt for vest over full jacket

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
At that temps I would do thermal bibs, knee warmers, and booties

for tops it's much harder. I did a 40 degree ride in a thermal and wind vest and was perfectly fine. i Did another 30 in a sleeveless base, long sleeve jersey and gore jacket and was freezing on my arms.

i think your plan is sound though that jersey looks thicker than mine. I would probably opt for vest over full jacket

yeah, definitely doing shoe covers and gloves, those and face are my problem areas (I have a couple of head options). I'll take my vest then.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty mundane question, but I need a new bike lock to complement my u-lock -- any suggestions?

Looking at this one, but I'm only really going by Amazon reviews and popularity (ReviewMeta checks out). And affordability.

Note: it doesn't need to be super heavy duty. I don't park in areas that are at risk of someone with heavy equipment cutting locks.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Leveling out my bike on the trainer has helped in some ways but is still troublesome. My sitbones are feeling ok but I'm having a lot of soft tissue pain.

It's kind of funny, because the trainer road notes are always talking about getting your pelvis more vertical, but that is absolutely what I can't do. Sitting on the pointy part of my sitbones is painful - I sit with my pelvis tilted forward so weight is spread along more of my sitbones.

When I was getting pain down the middle I was actually able to get some relief by pedaling in the drops, with my body angled even more forward. Who knows, I'll need to do some research.

Workout was rough today, 3x20 minute sweet spot. I took some short breaks to get blood back in my junk, but I did manage to stave off the urge to quit.