• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
So it's been like 4mo since I got my bike. In that time I've changed quite a few things about it, but yesterday was one of the single biggest upgrades I've made. Changed out the stock WTB Ranger tires for a tubeless setup (got my second flat after a night ride and was getting frustrated). Put an Assegai on the front and DHR II on the back. Front was 27.5x2.5 back was 27.5x2.4 I think, blanking out. Anyway, went for a ride through a chunkier track that previously caused me serious issues since I'm on a hardtail. Immediately two things stood out, first being that the Rangers were absolutely lightweight and holy fuck these two tires are H E A V Y. I used to be a mountain goat on the climbs and now it's a lot more legwork, not a big deal, get to shoot the shit with people more as I now stop with them for a rest. Secondly, these tires fucking eat rocks for breakfast, bite like hell on corners and roll infinitely faster. Feels like a dream going down that chunky section, before I felt like I was on a real rough rollercoaster where my back tire would bounce so much it was hard to gain grip for braking, now it'll stay much more planted, if I do hit something it just takes it like a champ and going down fire trails it feels like I'm flying.

Heard tires would make a huge difference but wasn't aware of just how much of a difference it would make. Absolutely in love with my setup now. I mean would also credit experience, first few times I went down this trail I was super green, but the tires alone inspire so much more confidence, it's wild. Used to worry so much about picking my lines due to chance of flats, now it's no worry. Next up is trying out being clipped in, seems scary lmao

Hitmeneer

Oct 30, 2017
So I went ahead and got myself a Rapha membership.
They've significantly reduced the price to €85.
Its become a no brainer when it comes to renting abroad in Hong Kong now.
Wonder how the rest of the service is and wether I'll use the community often for group rides.

I also got the email of Rapha, where they announced their new membership plan. It's really tempting for that price, even though I mostly get stuff from ASSOS, mostly for their exclusive RCC line that looks really good and the special collaborations that they have. I am sure they get loads of new members.

Oct 25, 2017
So it's been like 4mo since I got my bike. In that time I've changed quite a few things about it, but yesterday was one of the single biggest upgrades I've made. Changed out the stock WTB Ranger tires for a tubeless setup (got my second flat after a night ride and was getting frustrated). Put an Assegai on the front and DHR II on the back. Front was 27.5x2.5 back was 27.5x2.4 I think, blanking out. Anyway, went for a ride through a chunkier track that previously caused me serious issues since I'm on a hardtail. Immediately two things stood out, first being that the Rangers were absolutely lightweight and holy fuck these two tires are H E A V Y. I used to be a mountain goat on the climbs and now it's a lot more legwork, not a big deal, get to shoot the shit with people more as I now stop with them for a rest. Secondly, these tires fucking eat rocks for breakfast, bite like hell on corners and roll infinitely faster. Feels like a dream going down that chunky section, before I felt like I was on a real rough rollercoaster where my back tire would bounce so much it was hard to gain grip for braking, now it'll stay much more planted, if I do hit something it just takes it like a champ and going down fire trails it feels like I'm flying.

Heard tires would make a huge difference but wasn't aware of just how much of a difference it would make. Absolutely in love with my setup now. I mean would also credit experience, first few times I went down this trail I was super green, but the tires alone inspire so much more confidence, it's wild. Used to worry so much about picking my lines due to chance of flats, now it's no worry. Next up is trying out being clipped in, seems scary lmao

You essentially went from an XC to an Enduro tire, so it's def going to be more in the chunkiness of the tire. That Assegai looks meaty as all hell and I know the Minion is chunky itself

That said, it's all relative. I have an Ardent on the back, or Recon, and rode a bike with Minion's the other day. I'd take the more oomph of the Minion any day of the week for the amount of control and bite it gives in the corner over a faster tire like the Rekon. It's something that you just gotta get moving but once you do you're golden.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hell yeah dude. Thats my tire setup too. Hopefully you got the assegai in exo casing cause that dh version is a monster

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yeah dude. Thats my tire setup too. Hopefully you got the assegai in exo casing cause that dh version is a monster
Yeah I went exo, a friend of mine thought it'd be great to go with a double down DHR when he got his some time ago so I was aware, those are so god damn stiff and heavy for just trails, seems like beyond overkill.
You essentially went from an XC to an Enduro tire, so it's def going to be more in the chunkiness of the tire. That Assegai looks meaty as all hell and I know the Minion is chunky itself

That said, it's all relative. I have an Ardent on the back, or Recon, and rode a bike with Minion's the other day. I'd take the more oomph of the Minion any day of the week for the amount of control and bite it gives in the corner over a faster tire like the Rekon. It's something that you just gotta get moving but once you do you're golden.

Yeah, my main worry was just control since everything out here is chunky, dry trail, always felt like I was getting beat up on chunk so this just gives me some confidence to really pick some aggressive lines.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
That 90 minutes of over unders is rough

I must have my ftp dialed in pretty well because I can do the workouts but it suuuuuuuuucks

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I fucking hate that. To be honest, when I was at my peak I'd spend most of the day dreading the evening's trainer session. Can't be healthy. =/

Unrelated, the fuck is a Rapha membership? Do you have to be a member to buy their overpriced fashion statements now?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I fucking hate that. To be honest, when I was at my peak I'd spend most of the day dreading the evening's trainer session. Can't be healthy. =/

Unrelated, the fuck is a Rapha membership? Do you have to be a member to buy their overpriced fashion statements now?

Well good news (?), while you were away their parent company is putting their foot down and making them stop will all the ridiculous lines of BS

The Club is basically what it says, a club. The membership allows you to do specific group rides and get shop perks like discounts on clothing, food or coffee

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

Well good news (?), while you were away their parent company is putting their foot down and making them stop will all the ridiculous lines of BS

The Club is basically what it says, a club. The membership allows you to do specific group rides and get shop perks like discounts on clothing, food or coffee

Yeah the main goal of the club is to organize grouprides and give you easy and quality options for bike hire abroad.
The group rides (at least in Amsterdam) are really well organized and often accompanied with a coffee/ food stop somewhere halfway.
You could also buy their (granted) expensive outfits at a somewhat discounted price with the membership or have early acces to sales. The membership also comes with a cycling insurance, covering medical costs/ travel fees/ loss of gadgets etc.
Pretty good value imho.

I've tried quite a few brands but I do have to defend Rapha on quality and customer service. Yes they are more expensive but I'm still wearing my first pair of bibs I bought from them while castelli or assos bibs have worn out in a few seasons.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I can't really speak for them on customer service, but I have bibs that are just as high quality which cost me literally a quarter of the price.

I will accept that bibs are an extremely personal thing though. What works for one person might be utterly terrible for others.

Oct 25, 2017
In my quest for a new mountain bike I rode a Kona Process 111 (discontinued in favor of the 134) and man that thing RIPPED. Obv it was very in line with my Kona Honzo slack wise, but it just felt so much nicer to ride than when I tried the Tallboy.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
All they need is to throw some mud / water and have it throw me off at the end and that's basically my mountain biking experience last time out.

Hitmeneer

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the main goal of the club is to organize grouprides and give you easy and quality options for bike hire abroad.
The group rides (at least in Amsterdam) are really well organized and often accompanied with a coffee/ food stop somewhere halfway.
You could also buy their (granted) expensive outfits at a somewhat discounted price with the membership or have early acces to sales. The membership also comes with a cycling insurance, covering medical costs/ travel fees/ loss of gadgets etc.
Pretty good value imho.

I've tried quite a few brands but I do have to defend Rapha on quality and customer service. Yes they are more expensive but I'm still wearing my first pair of bibs I bought from them while castelli or assos bibs have worn out in a few seasons.

I can't say anything on the durability, as I just started using both ASSOS and Rapha, but I actually really had bad experience with Rapha customer service. I was actually wondering if they use bots for their chat, because their replies were super standard and often not helpful. Via email Rapha customer service was a bit better.

ASSOS (Italy atleast) customer care is amazing. I think I spent a few hours in total with them on the chat discussing sizes and the climate conditions for different pieces and they were super helpful and friendly.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like she's training to ride a horse.

Ignoring the fact that bike screws should have part numbers and be easy to replace, I emailed specialized and they got back to me within a day to say they would mail me the bolt I wanted.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
We're planning to do a rainy day session early Thanksgiving morning tomorrow, it's currently pouring buckets outside, hoping tomorrow is lighter rain. First time I've gone out in the mud, real excited.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Are one sided power metters worth the money?

Cyclist article on power meters

I think this article did a good job on explaining the difference and wether its worth it for you.
Myself I'd be fine with a one sided power meter.
I'm all for the argument that consistency in measurements is more important than how far off they'd be off the actual mark.
As long as it's consistent, you can improve by those numbers.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I went ahead and used Ebay's black friday promotion to buy a Velocomp powerpod power meter. I might regret that in the close future, but at least is not that expensive. I did it considering the following:

• Price
  • I do most of my training on my other bicycles, so buying a bicycle specific power meter for my road bicycle would be of diminished value.
  • Price
  • I read FondsNL article and seems like that the other power meters need to be calibrated before every ride to account for temperature changes.
  • Price
  • Sensitivity to temperatures changes is a big one where I live. Temperatures changes during the day rival the ones we have over the year. More importantly, one of my training routes has a 1100M climb and the peak can be 20c colder than when I start.
  • Price.
  • The powerpod seems like a neat device that can have some interesting applications beyond cycling. What would happen if I set it up on a car!? :D
  • Price.
  • And finally, price.
What do you guys think?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
So, I went ahead and used Ebay's black friday promotion to buy a Velocomp powerpod power meter. I might regret that in the close future, but at least is not that expensive. I did it considering the following:

• Price
  • I do most of my training on my other bicycles, so buying a bicycle specific power meter for my road bicycle would be of diminished value.
  • Price
  • I read FondsNL article and seems like that the other power meters need to be calibrated before every ride to account for temperature changes.
  • Price
  • Sensitivity to temperatures changes is a big one where I live. Temperatures changes during the day rival the ones we have over the year. More importantly, one of my training routes has a 1100M climb and the peak can be 20c colder than when I start.
  • Price.
  • The powerpod seems like a neat device that can have some interesting applications beyond cycling. What would happen if I set it up on a car!? :D
  • Price.
  • And finally, price.
What do you guys think?

Judging from your situation with multiple bikes that seems like a really valid option.
Never wouldve thought about approaching power meters in the way they did!

Nice!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cyclist article on power meters

I think this article did a good job on explaining the difference and wether its worth it for you.
Myself I'd be fine with a one sided power meter.
I'm all for the argument that consistency in measurements is more important than how far off they'd be off the actual mark.
As long as it's consistent, you can improve by those numbers.
Counterpoint... I'd almost certainly want to be getting a 2 sided one now. =/

But yeah, you'd only really want to be considering 2 sided if you have reason to believe you're significantly out of balance.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Got out for a turkey burning ride today. A bit harder than I would have preferred (there was certainly time off the bike getting here), but fun.

A guy on a Canyon broke his seat stay on a branch that got caught in his spokes, so maybe there is an advantage to having a heavy-ass aluminum frame.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Horses for courses, innit? I do love steel but alu has its place too.

And I'd rather have a good aluminium frame than a bad carbon one.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Tiptoed my way to work this morning.

Sub zero temperatures and icy patches on the roads here and there.
I had a few sketchy moments where the front wheel broke out. Luckily I was able to adjust and not break my precious Aeroad.

Might've been a bit over confident in taking the bike to work today. Guess it's time to work on a more sturdy commuter.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try a Yeti SB130 next, but right now a Process 134 is in the lead. My main fear is the 111 I rode has a different front center than the 134, but I can't demo the 134.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

I had a few sketchy moments where the front wheel broke out. Luckily I was able to adjust and not break my precious Aeroad.

Might've been a bit over confident in taking the bike to work today. Guess it's time to work on a more sturdy commuter.

Can you get studded tires?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Road riding in the ice is terrifying. Especially on descents.

Luckily Holland is flat as a pancake, but still... those corners were horrible (especially since it was pitch black)

Going to try a Yeti SB130 next, but right now a Process 134 is in the lead. My main fear is the 111 I rode has a different front center than the 134, but I can't demo the 134.

I think that should get me to work safely without risk of falling over :P

Can you get studded tires?

Well there is clearance for about 30mm rubber which could give me a bit more confidence, but the rear wheel hugs the frame very tightly so I can't imagine anything knobby working there sadly.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
No love for steel here!?

Currently have a Genesis Croix du Fer and my god do love that bike. I'll take steel everyday. Such a comfy ride and sturdy as.

Yep me too. Small bit of rain in the morning over last nights frost. Was a skating rink in parts. I need go over a cobbled bridge over to get work. Everyone was falling over trying to push our bikes over it.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a guy on an ebike have a mega crash on the ice the other day. It had actually warmed slightly overnight but there was some black ice in a dip on the cycle path at a corner. The guy must have been doing 20mph (he blasted past me, as I was proceeding cautiously), hit the dip and went right over instantly. He slid about fifteen meters on the tarmac, which was like a sheet of glass with the ice. He left a lot of paint on the surface. Fortunately he wasn't hurt, but was definitely shaken up.

I had a heavy fall in exactly the same spot last winter. It's a section of the path that they resurfaced relatively recently, so it's pretty smooth - too smooth, when it's icy.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I have my eyes on a pair of 38mm studded tires because the place that hosts gravel rides does winter rides too, but I also need to get boots and since I'm still unemployed it's not a great use of my savings right now. Maybe next year.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be hiring a fatbike for Scotand, but I'm hoping I don't need to go anywhere near the roads as the tyres wont be studded.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
How do you guys ride in snow and ice? Fat bikes time to shine?

I think I must be lucky because the local Council do a really good job of gritting the cycle paths on my way to work in Stirling. I can also just go on the main roads which makes life easier.

One of my favourite things is cycling home from work through the Glen Road in winter. Pitch black, no cars, no people, just silence...except for occasional pheasant, goose and owl. Absolute bliss.