• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple months ago I decided that I wanted to train for the triathlon. I started with swimming because that is what needed the most work and only recently did I purchase a bike.

I got a Cannondale Synapse Sora, and was able to snag a CycleOps Hammer for 40% off. I've been having a blast on Zwift just riding routes and doing a couple of workouts. I've yet to even get on the road because of how crap the weather is in Vancouver. I'm looking forward to getting outside and riding in the spring though.

Oct 25, 2017
A couple months ago I decided that I wanted to train for the triathlon. I started with swimming because that is what needed the most work and only recently did I purchase a bike.

I got a Cannondale Synapse Sora, and was able to snag a CycleOps Hammer for 40% off. I've been having a blast on Zwift just riding routes and doing a couple of workouts. I've yet to even get on the road because of how crap the weather is in Vancouver. I'm looking forward to getting outside and riding in the spring though.

My two cents but if you're training for a triathlon then TrainerRoad may be a better option. It's more structured workouts that focus on building strength on the bike versus just riding. I always found Zwift to feel too loose

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My two cents but if you're training for a triathlon then TrainerRoad may be a better option. It's more structured workouts that focus on building strength on the bike versus just riding. I always found Zwift to feel too loose

Yeah, I had read that TrainerRoad was the better options if you are trying to get results. I am however enjoying Zwift for the social aspect as well as how watching my avatar makes it a little more engaging for me.

I'm giving Zwift a one month test run then I'll probably giver TrainerRoad and SufferFest a shot.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I rode an ebike for the first time.
I totally fucking get it and totally get why a lot of mountain trails out here don't allow them.
I would be absolutely tearing things up with this, it's so wild on the highest setting up and downhill lmao you just fly.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I had a had ride yesterday. Right at the first climb I noticed that I was reaching high heart rates faster than usual and I got passed by fellow rides that I would normally leave behind. Later, strava confirmed my concerns:

uBUTWrC.png

Just compare it a ride of similar exertion of just a month ago:

lTLu1Ft.png

A considerably longer distance with a way harder climb. Yet the relative effort is just slightly higher.

I know is normal to be tired, but does tiredness also presents by achieving higher heart rates with lower exertion? Thanks for any input, pals!

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is this place mostly pro-ebike or anti-ebike or eh-ebike?

I've never ridden an ebike before TBH, but I got passed by one wizzing by me on my daily commute last week while I was going my top speed pedaling pretty hard. The person who passed me didn't even seem like they were trying. So I looked them up and I was like OMG you can go 28 miles an hour without really pedaling?!?!?! And Ebikes are heavy too. I get that it can be useful for delivery people who may pedal around all day long too...

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So, I had a had ride yesterday. Right at the first climb I noticed that I was reaching high heart rates faster than usual and I got passed by fellow rides that I would normally leave behind. Later, strava confirmed my concerns:

uBUTWrC.png

Just compare it a ride of similar exertion of just a month ago:

lTLu1Ft.png

A considerably longer distance with a way harder climb. Yet the relative effort is just slightly higher.

I know is normal to be tired, but does tiredness also presents by achieving higher heart rates with lower exertion? Thanks for any input, pals!

Absolutely, if you are fatigued, you're body needs to work harder. As an old I get this a lot if I don't properly recover.

I've never ridden an ebike before TBH, but I got passed by one wizzing by me on my daily commute last week while I was going my top speed pedaling pretty hard. The person who passed me didn't even seem like they were trying. So I looked them up and I was like OMG you can go 28 miles an hour without really pedaling?!?!?! And Ebikes are heavy too. I get that it can be useful for delivery people who may pedal around all day long too...

I don't think that we lean one way or the other, but a good portion of us are concentrating on increasing fitness and power, so our use cases aren't compatible. There are definitely commuters in here tho.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

I started with an ebike. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to do my daily commute which eventually led to me to become a fit person after battling with obesity all my life. Also, depending where you live, ebikes have legal speed limits. In the European Union is 25km/h (15.5mph) in the USA, on most states is of 20mph otherwise it must be registered a motorcycle and is subject to all the applicable requirements (driving license, etc). There are several types of ebikes. Some will indeed be really heavy. Mine is of 25kg with a 500w motor.

Last edited:

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Hi Guys, I'm pretty down and frustrated with my whole bike story.

The buying experience was quite awful. On the day the bikes should be shipped from Fairlight, I didn't get the invoices (should have been one month beforehand) for the final payment and no answer to my emails, asking what's going on. Two weeks later I finally got them. Was ok for me as I know it's a small company with huge backorder and they moved shop recently.

Then I got an email that my frame is scratched on the head tube and some photos. Could choose between repaint (2,3 weeks delay) or 50£ discount. I wasnt sure which scratches they meant, saw all kind of scratches on the frame and marked it, asking for clarification or repaint.

The handlebar from my GF was out of stock, they gave me two possibilities to choose from. I asked if they couldn't order it as my bike will be delayed because of the repaint.

Didn't get any reply to all of these massages. Just one day, DHL information, that the bikes are shipped.

I got the bikes and everything seemed fine. Bike brakes needed adjustment. OK I can handle that.
First ride, shifting is not what I expected and I heard noises on both bikes. And just a few days ago I tried to fix the shifting problems I realized that my back wheel isnt in the centre - 1 or 1,5cm to the left and it's not possible to get the shifting right because it's all crooked.

I googled to find out more or what I can do, put the wheel from the other bike into the frame - same outcome. I'm worried it's the frame itself now and will go to a LBS tomorrow to find out more and hopefully fixed.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the rim not centered in the frame or is the wheel just dished to the left?

Sounds like a pretty bad experience, sorry.

Oct 25, 2017
Put in an order for a Kona Process CR 134. It's gunna be a bit to adjust to but it's just so much more fun to ride than my hard tail

Oct 25, 2017
So I left my bike overnight in my work's bike cage (out of necessity) with a cable lock attached but not a u-lock and someone cut down the cage door (which was the most challenging part) and stole my bike. 6 year old Giant Rome that I liked very much and had begun to ride every day to work. MIPS helmet which I'd gotten for 50% off (and now can't find anything close to that value) was taken, too, of course.

I imagine I'll get more lectures than anything here for leaving it overnight without the u-lock, but I'm pretty shocked that they went to such lengths in a fairly safe area. It's a lesson learned for me and a good reminder for anyone who would ever let their guard down.

Will spend the last week before holidays moping as I bus to work, but will then look at what I'm going to replace it with....

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That's shit. Sorry to hear it.

...and if they were willing to cut through a security cage door then they'd probably cut a u-lock as well (portable grinders make fairly short work of these).

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Aye, ultimately you can only do so much to make your bike secure, and if a thief is determined enough and has enough time then they'll get through almost any portable lock.

And sorry that you lost your bike. Bike thieves are pure scum.

Oct 25, 2017
So I left my bike overnight in my work's bike cage (out of necessity) with a cable lock attached but not a u-lock and someone cut down the cage door (which was the most challenging part) and stole my bike. 6 year old Giant Rome that I liked very much and had begun to ride every day to work. MIPS helmet which I'd gotten for 50% off (and now can't find anything close to that value) was taken, too, of course.

I imagine I'll get more lectures than anything here for leaving it overnight without the u-lock, but I'm pretty shocked that they went to such lengths in a fairly safe area. It's a lesson learned for me and a good reminder for anyone who would ever let their guard down.

Will spend the last week before holidays moping as I bus to work, but will then look at what I'm going to replace it with....

That's a bummer,sorry to hear. You put trust in the cage and your lock, that's about the most we'd all do. Even with the u lock I bet they'd gotten it considering they broke into a cage

You might find some close out deals on 2019 bikes since 2020 are already out and rolling I

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I decided to try and ford a river yesterday during one of the coldest days of the month as it was gusting about 20mph+ winds.

Did
Not
Go
Well

Turns out river rocks are slippery and trying to speed through it is impossible if your front end slips, forcing your handlebars sideways.

Also learned long ago that people given enough time will snatch anything even if it's bolted down. Friend of mine left his ebike for the afternoon on a pole/stand outside a friends apartment. Apparently they couldn't get the locks off it so they took the whole fucking pole in broad daylight. Apparently it was just some hollow pole so all they needed to do was saw it off.

Last edited:

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Came back from my LBS, couldn't help me, frame is distorted - paid 50 € for nothing (ok shifting is better now). Got in contact with Fairlight. I hope they will respond. Still can't believe it.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Thats sounds like a horrible experience

Something that warranty should clearly cover though.
I sent a Canyon frame back because it had a minor scuff on the paint. No questions asked a new bike came my way less than a week after I shipped mine off.

I hope they'll treat you well!

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
So the frame is completely bent?

Think so. Completely is maybe to much, but it's not possible to get the wheel straight and would I change to bigger wheels (wtb byway 700c x 44 would be my choice) i don't know if they will fit. But honestly for a 3.3k € bike it's not acceptable.

Edit: Thank you guys, its helping a bit ^_^

Will make an account somewhere to show you some pictures.

https://gammagoblin3.tumblr.com/post/189740063495

Last edited:

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Double Post, sorry. I'm so relieved that I got an email back, from one of the owners (whom I wrote also). They apologised and offered me a new frame or full refund ^_^

Will go to my LBS tomorrow and organise a box for shipping and wait for pick up information.

Will take the new frame and hope everything is ok. Will keep you updated and also show some pictures, as of today I'm able to upload pictures.

Thanks again for your support ^_~

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Thieves are just the worst. I live in a really safe neighborhood and there are still people that come around at night looking for unlocked cars, and there's literally a thing now where groups will come around looking for Honda sedan wheels and leave the cars up on milk crates.

I'm lucky to have a garage, and as safe as things are and neighbors always looking out I simply don't leave anything out at any time. There are people here who use invisible fences for their dogs, and while nothing has ever happened, I worry about them all the time.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
We have a garage that I hang the bikes up on hooks or wall racks. The garage has locks on the door and side door, plus security cameras. We live near a beach community that is notorious for bikes being stolen.

Wow sounds like Fort Knox ^_^ Better safe then sorry. Would do the same in this area.

I know a few people, who got their bikes stolen in the cellar, one downhill bike with multiple locks. If they come at night, nobody will hear them and it doesn't matter, if they need 5min or 30min to break the locks. Reason I put the new ones in the apartment.

Psychotext nice collection you have there!

Oct 25, 2017
Wow sounds like Fort Knox ^_^ Better safe then sorry. Would do the same in this area.

I know a few people, who got their bikes stolen in the cellar, one downhill bike with multiple locks. If they come at night, nobody will hear them and it doesn't matter, if they need 5min or 30min to break the locks. Reason I put the new ones in the apartment.

Psychotext nice collection you have there!

It's just standard locks for the garage door and side door, but i just like to be safe.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
High points and low points. At the moment I'm struggling to walk without pain, but oddly I'm doing OK on the trainer.

Hoping to cycle again for the first time in six months soon... but we'll see how it goes.

Hope you can keep your spirit up and push through these awful time. Wish you all the best to cycle and more important walk without pain soon.

Had a few times in my life, where I couldn't walk so I can slightly imagine what you are going through.