• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
First time I rode down that hill I went OTB, first time I went down that fire trail I almost flew off the edge.
Id's say I'm doing better yeah. The first trail I ever went on, I snapped my pedal in two out the gate on what I thought was a super tight switchback after a fast drop, turns out it was nothing. Still confused as to how I ever shot in that fast, I don't think I ever used my front brake when I started.

Anyway, the county I'm in is super blessed with a billion trails less than 30m away by car. Just never know it from driving around all day on the freeways. Also I think I'm gonna pick up some of those crankbros mallet style clips (clip w/ extended flat platform). I was using the crankbros candy pedals which are really small and while obviously the clip functions to make your shoe a platform, I still like the idea of using the flat portion when I don't feel like clipping in proper.

I can't remember but did you borrow the cleats and pedals?

I'm eyeing up the Nukeproof Horizon CL CrMo DH Pedals to maintain cleat compatibility across my bikes, not an issue you currently have, but n+1 is real.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I borrowed just the pedals and cleat attachment things, this is basically what I was using. The slightly larger version of their 'eggbeater' clips that are literally just the clip and nothing else.
IMG_5864.JPG

Searched those pedals you mentioned, look nice though. Just want a nice stable flat to sit on.

Last edited:

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I borrowed just the pedals and cleat attachment things, this is basically what I was using. The slightly larger version of their 'eggbeater' clips that are literally just the clip and nothing else.
IMG_5864.JPG

Searched those pedals you mentioned, look nice though. Just want a nice stable flat to sit on.

Sorry I was interested and looked at the mallets, is the spring loose enough to allow flats to spread the clip? As the spring is definitely raised over the platform on all the models of mallet I could find a side on shot of, so there has to be a recess in the shoes right? Just asking as I'd prefer to be able to swap to flats and not be clipped every now and again on my pub bike...

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I mean in mine the shoe has a recess on the cleat portion. It felt flush against the clip that way. Personally I found it hard to judge where my foot was relative to the clip itself most times, I thought the raised clip would cause an issue but most times it was like trying to hook in while moving and having to kick a few times to get it to catch just right.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I was interested and looked at the mallets, is the spring loose enough to allow flats to spread the clip? As the spring is definitely raised over the platform on all the models of mallet I could find a side on shot of, so there has to be a recess in the shoes right? Just asking as I'd prefer to be able to swap to flats and not be clipped every now and again on my pub bike...

The springs are stiff and won't spread with a flat shoe.

I initially liked Candy (those pedals) and then grew to hate them.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Eggbeaters are great pedals if you don't mind carrying spares or stopping to use them.

The last time a friend had an eggbeater explode when we were out in the foothills, he had lost the allen head for removing pedals, so he was stuck finishing the ride on one pedal despite having brought a spare set of pedals.

Oct 25, 2017
Eggbeaters are great pedals if you don't mind carrying spares or stopping to use them.

The last time a friend had an eggbeater explode when we were out in the foothills, he had lost the allen head for removing pedals, so he was stuck finishing the ride on one pedal despite having brought a spare set of pedals.

They are notorious for their bearing and spindle being shit but supposedly fixed it all. I just didn't love the lateral movement in the clear or that I never felt fully engaged in the pedal

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My two cents on this:

That distance should be sustainable on either a single piece of food or a water bottle with some electrolytes calories. I don't think you need to go with a gel, especially every hour.

I dunno man, statement like that seems like it should take my fitness level into consideration. I'm not exactly an athlete, pretty sure I need some more fuel for 80kms. I'm riding hard as I can just to stay with the pack.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The first time I went out for a ride, no one told me what to eat.
I had a heavy breakfast and slammed an energy drink on the drive up to the trail.

Immediately threw up half way through the climb.

Good times.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Big fan of the bricks myself.
I can't stand that goo, feels like I'm shoving grease down my throat.

If it's a real extended ride, I'll carry a protein bar, but most times it's just a quick pick me up.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Time for my first cycling adventure in the exotic great plains of Berkshire, and they are plains since there doesn't seem to be any climb around here... any tips or suggestions!? :S

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Since it doesn't seem to be snowing at all this winter, I went on a 50km ride, gravel and road combined. First big ride in ages. Was pretty knackered at the end of it, but the coffee and pastry at the halfway point was delicious.

During the ride we were discussing nutrition, and I recalled that eating soft potato bread (!) works really well for me on a long ride, like 100-200km. So then since everyone has feed bags these days, we figure why not boil some potatos and put them in a foil inside a feed bag. Then just have one of those three pronged plastic forks you get at fast food stands and feast while riding! You can even garnish it with some pickled herring and dill.

Oct 25, 2017
Since it doesn't seem to be snowing at all this winter, I went on a 50km ride, gravel and road combined. First big ride in ages. Was pretty knackered at the end of it, but the coffee and pastry at the halfway point was delicious.

During the ride we were discussing nutrition, and I recalled that eating soft potato bread (!) works really well for me on a long ride, like 100-200km. So then since everyone has feed bags these days, we figure why not boil some potatos and put them in a foil inside a feed bag. Then just have one of those three pronged plastic forks you get at fast food stands and feast while riding! You can even garnish it with some pickled herring and dill.

Are you the one who lives in Finland? Hahaha, the potato thing is awesome though. I've def read of people who will prefer higher starch/carb items like that over the more sugar & glucose focused offerings.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Really nice actually. A cool 100km through the British landscape.

CvSpSCO.png

Some observations:

• Beautiful landscape. Great ride. Well worth it.
  • People aren't kidding when they say that Britain is wet. Even though today was a beautiful day, everything was soaking wet. Good thing that I was too lazy to take the mudguard off. Bad thing that I was too lazy to use my shoe covers. Also, at first I was taken by surprise by all the sand in the roads.
  • Riders are a bit too courteous for me. Giving proper space while passing makes me feel that I'm really interrupting them.
  • Is much harder to reach 40kmph at sea level, damn. Now I see the need for an aereo position.
  • Vanishing cycling lanes are no fun.
I really need some cycling mates to teach me the proper ways of cycling in here.

Last edited:

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
I finally got my replacement bike ^_^ It seems that everything is fine. Will go for a short ride today. Finished the bikes yesterday, with some helicopter tape and foliage and changed the tires. Some quick photo I took.
tumblr_q4i6lwfPmc1yavn7mo1_1280.jpg

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Say hello to my new pride... er, I mean cheap beater I bought to carry into my room and leave chained on the streets of london without much worries:

tilt-100-folding-bike-black.jpg

At 44x16 with 20 inches wheel, gearing is too low. Should help me with my cadence, I guess. I'm tempted to convert it into a fixed gear, what do you guys think?

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Say hello to my new pride... er, I mean cheap beater I bought to carry into my room and leave chained on the streets of london without much worries:

tilt-100-folding-bike-black.jpg

At 44x16 with 20 inches wheel, gearing is too low. Should help me with my cadence, I guess. I'm tempted to convert it into a fixed gear, what do you guys think?

New Bike 🥳 Looks very practical/useful, is it fun to ride? Never rode a bike like that, don't you have to be extra carefully with "road conditions" because of the wheel size?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
New Bike 🥳 Looks very practical/useful, is it fun to ride? Never rode a bike like that, don't you have to be extra carefully with "road conditions" because of the wheel size?
The tires are actually wider than what I'm used to, so is a smoother ride so far in that department. That being said, I don't see myself going at 40kmph on this, and I don't have the gearing for that anyway... :O

Last edited:

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I subscribed to a gymnasium and I have done two video training sessions on a stationary bicycle. Is it normal to find it way harder than riding outside?

First of all, I sweat, like a lot. Everyone in the gym looks me weird after a sessions since I look like I just fell into a pool, and such pool is now bellow the bike... I didn't thought it was possible to sweat that much.

Second, high cadence sections kill me. When I'm asked to do 110-120rpm, my heart rate goes through the roof while my power goes to the floor. From pumping 300w with 65rpm to 190W at 120rpm. I guess I really need to improve in this area, but I really can't do much of such sections atm. Yesterday I really had to quit the session and take a rest.

Finally, I really hurt trying to reach above 160bpm on the trainer, while on the outside I can hold over 170bpm for like 30 minutes.

Any thoughts, folks?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
This is my pain cave... cooling is PARAMOUNT (those are both industrial fans, and there's another you can't see).

fkZd0MD.png

Also, 120rpm is really quite high. Most people wouldn't comfortably be able to stay at that rpm without training... and even so, they'd expect very quick breathing and a high heart rate (high rpm is a great way to warm up if you're on an easy ride with someone). 65rpm is too low though. You should be shooting for your normal cadence to be 85-95rpm.

As for the heart rate... I wont comment on how high / low it is as I don't know your age. I do find it easier to push myself harder outdoors (cooling is a big part of this), but I don't think that's what you're referring to.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the gym would let me setup a fan, let alone that many : O. About cadence, normally I'm at 85-95. I just gave my power output since that's my climbing cadence when I run out of gears and, well, I'm mad enough to do a Hors catégorie on a fixie, so I do have some leg power :S

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone done Sa Calobra in Mallorca? Having a family holiday in May staying in Pollença and I'm planning to hire a bike for the week to do a few early morning rides.

definitely going to do a ride up to the lighthouse and a loop up to Lluc. It seems daft not to try and do Sa Calobra as well. Locally I have plenty of hills much not many that are over a mile. At the minute doing some sweet spot and hill repeats on the turbo but would be interested to hear advice on training for longer climbs. Going to have a seven seater so could just drive to the top and ride down and back up, but ideally want to do a ride from Pollença and back again. Think it's around 7 miles at average of 7% and max is around 15.

The loop from where we are staying would work out at 60 miles with around 6000ft climbing. I can do rides here with the same sort of numbers but it would be much more up and down, rather than long accents and long downhills.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Just ordered this from Amazon:

71skst6ASPL._SL1500_.jpg

Should be better than nothing, right? And yes, I can point them to my body too.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone done Sa Calobra in Mallorca? Having a family holiday in May staying in Pollença and I'm planning to hire a bike for the week to do a few early morning rides.

definitely going to do a ride up to the lighthouse and a loop up to Lluc. It seems daft not to try and do Sa Calobra as well. Locally I have plenty of hills much not many that are over a mile. At the minute doing some sweet spot and hill repeats on the turbo but would be interested to hear advice on training for longer climbs. Going to have a seven seater so could just drive to the top and ride down and back up, but ideally want to do a ride from Pollença and back again. Think it's around 7 miles at average of 7% and max is around 15.

The loop from where we are staying would work out at 60 miles with around 6000ft climbing. I can do rides here with the same sort of numbers but it would be much more up and down, rather than long accents and long downhills.

Awesome, thats a bucket list location!
I'm going to Hong Kong in a week. It was actually cheaper (and more reliable) to become a Rapha member and rent a bike with them. Might be worth looking into.
Hong Kong bike rental prices were either insane or the rental places looked dodgy as hell.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I just sweat...i dunno

I dont feel like I overheat on the trainer, but its also in the basement
You would be very unusual in that regard. The amount of heat your body creates when it outputs high power levels is utterly immense.

I have video of me in my garage doing a Sufferfest workout and the amount of steam / vapour I'm generating makes me look like this guy.

6584D2A6AFE924C07EA895DF2F80D2E1CF042F3B

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to everyone reacting to mild snowfall with huge amounts of fine sand, gravel rides have become less damaging to a bicycle than paved road rides.

nGk2FDS.jpg

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Had my first proper sprint ride in a while yesterday.
Finally some dry weather and sunshine:

Thanks to everyone reacting to mild snowfall with huge amounts of fine sand, gravel rides have become less damaging to a bicycle than paved road rides.

We've had a really mild winter here... not that cold, but really really wet.
I've been cleaning my bike every week for the past few months, it's starting to get old.

I'd much prefer the cold to all the gunk that builds up from those wet rides. Fine sand is horror for the drivetrain :(

Last edited:

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, following to Psychotext advice and after expending £20 on portable fans on Amazon and choosing the trainer with the best ventilation, I could put some serious wattage on today's training season at the gym. I still sweat a lot, but instead of having a swimming pool at my feet there was only a little pond and my socks were mostly dry. But more importantly, I could finally see high wattage on the screen, with an average of 270W after the end of the 50 minutes training video!

Also, the stages power meter is compatible with my garmin 530. So, on that note, do you guys recon that trainer road is worth the money? I think I can get it working with the gym bikes and my 530.