• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a good investment then.
I honestly don't last for more than 30 minutes without a full fan and an open window near me.
Time for an indoor FTP test to check out those numbers by the way!

Don't have any experience with TrainerRoad, so far I've only used Zwift.
I'm happy with what it offers as it's mostly for short 30-60 minute workouts, at a maximum of 3 times a week.
When it's dry, I'm riding outside.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
If it wasn't for Trainerroad I'd have never had the fitness to do Leadville / Dolomites / 300km races etc. If you can spare the time, it works... zero question.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Clean internal routing blah blah blah

Obviously if you really want to harness the power of aerodynamics, you need to evoke a tall ship!

Yyj9WeW.jpg

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
The steepest roads lead to the best views.

x4z6KVz.png

h5cv2yI.jpg

Well, sometimes they do. Sometimes they just lead to a dead-end in the middle of the woods.

Also, check out this slug from today. Just a super awesome-looking slug.

6ZIF4Dt.jpg

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Clean internal routing blah blah blah

Obviously if you really want to harness the power of aerodynamics, you need to evoke a tall ship!

Yyj9WeW.jpg
Nice picture, do you have a tire stripe on your fender? Adventure bike x 100, I like it

Had the first real tour yesterday. Weather was great, sunny 18 C°, journey time 7h, 3h ride time, 58km. I'm a little bit cautious at the moment but testing the bike and checking how I feel. Body took it good, little bit pressure on my hands, but ok.

Bike was so nice, surprised me uphill - the push forward when I stand up/flex in the frame, tires eating the bumps, rolling capabilities. Dont have a comparison but we both agreed it was the least strenuous time we took this route and that after a three months break.

tumblr_q52jolVDoD1yavn7mo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_q52k2v8VOQ1yavn7mo1_1280.jpg

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Sweet, glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves!

Looking like some nice bike adventures you all are having.
I'm off to my next one tonight. Curious to see how cycling in Hong Kong is going to be during this Corona thing.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I had another 100km ride around Berkshire. My legs hurt pretty good today. Is it me, or the gym/stationary bike fails miserably to replicate the workout of a nice, long real ride? Since it was raining last week, I did a 2:30 hours ride on the gym last week and, even though the calories/ final power output were comparable, the real rides still feel like a way better workout.

What do you guys think?

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I had another 100km ride around Berkshire. My legs hurt pretty good today. Is it me, or the gym/stationary bike fails miserably to replicate the workout of a nice, long real ride? Since it was raining last week, I did a 2:30 hours ride on the gym last week and, even though the calories/ final power output were comparable, the real rides still feel like a way better workout.

What do you guys think?

they don't simulate the extra work gravity creates on a climb, though it gets you to similar watts, it doesn't capture the extra drag you experience nor the change in muscles used due to the angle change on climbs.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any actual guidance around replacing a shimano rear cassette with a sram cassette? Both are the same speed. All the other components would remain shimano.

Really I just want to upgrade to a carbon road bike now...

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

What do you guys think?

Yeah, I'll agree that its a much more dynamic workout when cycling outside.
You stop or coast a whole lot more when riding outside. You'll push just that bit harder when you're cresting a climb or going for a sprint.
I think that the change in intensity makes for a much more rounded workout. Indoor training has its uses but it's totally different from riding outside.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Went riding yesterday without my hyropack and a small water bottle during a freak hotspell thinking the trails would be empty due to the super bowl. They were empty because it was fucking hot. Still fun but jfc

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
F5-AE963-C-6-A69-4-C7-A-BE58-9-E188677531-D.jpg

Had my first ride here in Hong Kong.
77km with 2400m climbing.
It was surreal to ride from concrete jungle to actual jungle in the span of 3,5 hours.
Mountainbiking tomorrow, wish me luck XD

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Felt like this was worth posting... proud of how far I've come since the accident, though I've got a long way yet to go.

vAiGmik.png

My one minute power is actually an all time record. Not sure what happened there... just seemed to get the cadence right and hung on for dear life.

Just need to keep this sort of power now as the weight comes off. Maybe see if I can target that MAP figure a bit.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Next time I'll get a bike hooter too. Unfortunately here bike roads are badly designed and mingle with people walking and crossing nearby, so it becomes mandatory.

Overall I don't dare venture on the main roads with cars very often. Parked cars are blocking the way and I have to risk entering the main road line with fast moving cars and trucks. Chaotic.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I fucking hate riding on UK roads. I find the entire ride stressful from start to finish. Only road riding I've ever really enjoyed was on a closed course.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking hate riding on UK roads. I find the entire ride stressful from start to finish. Only road riding I've ever really enjoyed was on a closed course.
UK roads are too small from what I have experience. And is not an issue of cycling infrastructure, because when I'm from there's barely any infrastructure, but almost all roads that have significant traffic have enough space for the cars and the cyclists. I see way more cyclist on the sidewalk than in Mexico city.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
UK roads are too small from what I have experience. And is not an issue of cycling infrastructure, because when I'm from there's barely any infrastructure, but almost all roads that have significant traffic have enough space for the cars and the cyclists. I see way more cyclist on the sidewalk than in Mexico city.
Why do you mention Mexico City? As it happens I'm heading there next month.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
D9-B505-FA-E4-FB-43-A9-AD61-3-A022576-F365.jpg

43-D6-BB54-2-FA8-4737-9-B82-9588-C21-D205-C.jpg

D14558-FB-41-E5-4-B7-D-A6-DC-0-DB3-C5429-D87.jpg

I rode up Tai Mo Shan today. A great ride which was shrouded in mist nearing the peak.
Riding in Hong Kong was a blast. From the hectic metropolis to the quiet green roads, amazing.
Rapha were really good at sorting me out as well. Got a wahoo with pre-loaded maps, so all I had to do was follow the arrows.
10/10 would recommend!

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Booked a service. 60 raheems for their silver option, plus whatever it's going to cost for a new front mech and chain. Might get away with keeping the cassette, but we'll see. Wish i didn't fuck my knee all those months ago or i would have sorted it sooner.

Anyway, looking forward to getting wet and muddy again soon.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Same here! But it's nothing aggressive, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Still waiting for the results though... should get them in 10 days.

Soooo, to just update on this one.
It turned out to be a malign tumour.
I have been through chemotherapy from August to December, a first surgery at the beginning of January and have another MRI next week to see how bad it still is. I might have another surgery to have the thing cut out completely, but yea, progress is being made!

I have tried to do some indoor cycling whenever I felt good enough during the chemo, but it was really difficult.
But since chemo is over, I am slowly getting back on the bike more regularly but my body is reaaaaally out of shape right now. I am happy if I can get 30-40 minutes done, so it might take a while for me to get back to my old fitness!

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, you seem to be charging at this thing head on. What a champ!
I wish you all the best with your recovery, stay strong mate!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I was about to post about the fact that I've injured both my calf muscles (fairly minor, can still just about walk)...

...seems somewhat irrelevant now. Wolfapo - Keep at it buddy, you'll get your health and fitness back!

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Soooo, to just update on this one.
It turned out to be a malign tumour.
I have been through chemotherapy from August to December, a first surgery at the beginning of January and have another MRI next week to see how bad it still is. I might have another surgery to have the thing cut out completely, but yea, progress is being made!

I have tried to do some indoor cycling whenever I felt good enough during the chemo, but it was really difficult.
But since chemo is over, I am slowly getting back on the bike more regularly but my body is reaaaaally out of shape right now. I am happy if I can get 30-40 minutes done, so it might take a while for me to get back to my old fitness!

Shit, sorry you had to go through this, chemo is a nightmare. Take your time, you will heal. The worst part is over (I hope). Wish you all the best!

I swore on carrots and Aronia berry btw. maybe it helps you too.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Thanks guys!

I was about to post about the fact that I've injured both my calf muscles (fairly minor, can still just about walk)...

...seems somewhat irrelevant now. Wolfapo - Keep at it buddy, you'll get your health and fitness back!
Hope you recover as well!

I already decided to get a new bike after this whole shit is over! Right now, I'm sporting a Stevens Gavere (2018), a cyclo cross bike, but would like to get a road bike for the summer. So that's one thing to look forward to!

Just finished another round on Zwift (~40 minmutes, 100W average). I am happy that this exists, otherwise I would not have been able to do some cycling during my chemo!
And now it helps me to get back in shape since the weather is shit right now outside.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm very much on the "can't deal with the outside" right now too, though for quite different reasons (still terrified after my crash).

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I actually did my first bit of MTB in Hong Kong last week.

Went to Mui Wo Park on Lantau Island.

We had a guide with us to show us the trails.
I have to admit, it was a shit ton of fun.

We got Santa Cruz Hightower Carbon Frame bikes. I've got no frame of reference at all.
But they were really smooth bikes. Practically brand new by the looks of them as well.

We got flat pedals, but I'm wondering what it would be like to ride clipped on an MTB. Certainly powering up the climbs will be easier.
Thought it would be a good idea to start out with flat pedals first just to get a feel for it.

Mui Wo - Bike Park
G6hfBNm.jpg

First part was cycling up the hills to the park area. Climbing on an MTB off-road is a completely different discipline than road cycling.
It's much more short bursts of power whilst adding some technical skill navigating rocks and such.
My friend was wheezing after 5 minutes so I'm guessing my experience climbing on a road bike did help a bit.

After all that climbing (with insane views of Hong Kong city in the distance) we got to a more open area where the bike park started. There were multiple trails to ride. I never did any downhill riding on an MTB but I think it came quite natural to me. Just trust in the bike to do its work and it'll stomp over most obstacles.
That sort of trust actually felt very similar to snowboarding deep powder.
I think I topped out at about 37 kph downhill on the trails, at least I felt like I was charging at them quite fearlessly.

Friend of mine in action
914clqr.jpg

Definitely something I'll try again at some point! Now I'm just disappointed once more at the insane flatness of my own lil country.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Very cool!

Also, clips for climbing on MTBs aren't really any more efficient than flats, but they are helpful on really technical climbs as it's pretty much the only place where being able to "pull up" is an advantage.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't pulling up a myth, and if you are doing it takes away from pushing down harder?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't pulling up a myth, and if you are doing it takes away from pushing down harder?
Yeah, mostly... but it is actually useful on technical climbs as you may not actually be able to push down at all in certain bits, so being able to produce power all around the pedal stroke can be handy.

Edit... Damn, that helmet saved your pretty face for sure!

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really like MTb'ing with clips. I have found the brand of pedal can make a huge difference though. Shimanos are never tight enough for me, HTs are too tight on the exit, and for now TIMEs seem perfect. easy to get out of but rock solid grip.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I still haven't checked my bike properly after my crash. Realistically I need to strip it down and get the frame scanned (carbon).

I'll definitely be replacing the handlebars and the hanger.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone ever been out to Tahoe to ride trails?
Gonna head out there in March but my cousin suggested we take our bikes while we were out there, sounds good, but I have no idea what's there.

Also picked up some Doubleshot 3's to replace the Candies I have now.
Doubleshots have a clip side and a flat side, I hear the flat side is so so, but I mean I basically went from clip hesitant to all in now. The flat will be my 'oh man I'll probably have to bail' insurance. Really shocked how much riding clipped changed my hardtail up, just absolute confidence that my rear bouncing won't buck my feet makes all the difference.

Double-Shot-3-Red-1000x1000.jpg

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Got my bike back from service. They replaced my FD-M370 front mech with a FD-M2000, the HG200 Altus cassette with a HG400 Alivio cassette, SRAM chain. Feels ok so far, but the front needs further adjustment. Chain get's caught shifting up the chainring, but i'll leave it for a week to see if it beds in properly.