• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Got my roadbike cleaned up for the year - with new tires! Rides so smoothly now. Really wish whatever's going on in my calf would work itself out rather than sap my power. But my doc will weigh in this upcoming week (...I should've gone back in September).

Have a 50 miler on deck for the Spring, and planning a century race later in the early fall. A buddy whose an ultracyclist volunteered for the century, so that'll be fun.

Oct 25, 2017
So as mentioned a couple months ago my bike was stolen. Initially I tried to make do on my commute to work with a used bike from a friend, holding off buying something new in a rush..... but I've been miserable riding it so I've started the hunt in earnest.....

First off, I'm in Canada so we have a slightly different selection here (I think this community is mostly UK?). Giant, Specialized, Trek, Norco, Felt, Cannondale and then some other brands if you're looking at comfort or road bikes only. And the second point I should make is that I'm looking at buying a hybrid instead of a road bike as I think hybrids suit my usage a bit better. Please don't shun me.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Giant Fastroad SL1? It's what I've zeroed in on and would cost more than I'd planned on spending, but I really like the shifters (Shimano 105 whereas most hybrids have Sora/Acera and sometimes Tiagra) and it's a good fit. Otherwise it's not too distinct from the Trek FX Sport 4, for example, which is a bit cheaper. The SL2 is also quite similar but just a bit more upright and with slightly worse parts. Better value, I'd guess.

Interested in people's thoughts on hybrids generally, or what you'd recommend.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So as mentioned a couple months ago my bike was stolen. Initially I tried to make do on my commute to work with a used bike from a friend, holding off buying something new in a rush..... but I've been miserable riding it so I've started the hunt in earnest.....

First off, I'm in Canada so we have a slightly different selection here (I think this community is mostly UK?). Giant, Specialized, Trek, Norco, Felt, Cannondale and then some other brands if you're looking at comfort or road bikes only. And the second point I should make is that I'm looking at buying a hybrid instead of a road bike as I think hybrids suit my usage a bit better. Please don't shun me.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Giant Fastroad SL1? It's what I've zeroed in on and would cost more than I'd planned on spending, but I really like the shifters (Shimano 105 whereas most hybrids have Sora/Acera and sometimes Tiagra) and it's a good fit. Otherwise it's not too distinct from the Trek FX Sport 4, for example, which is a bit cheaper. The SL2 is also quite similar but just a bit more upright and with slightly worse parts. Better value, I'd guess.

I love my cannondale quick carbon 2. Trek FX are nice. I also bought a folding full size rugged hybrid by Change flat bikes

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017

Never had any real issues with my Giant bikes, but I wasn't keen on the frame flex on my Giant Rapid 0 SL, it caused the rear brake disc to rub, it only happened under high loads but it happened enough for me to work out what it was, so just a note to test it and really test it such as a hill sprint as that revealed the issue on the Rapid.

Oct 25, 2017
I love my cannondale quick carbon 2. Trek FX are nice. I also bought a folding full size rugged hybrid by Change flat bikes
Very few Cannondales sold around these parts, unfortunately, but the Quick models were ones I'd considered.
Never had any real issues with my Giant bikes, but I wasn't keen on the frame flex on my Giant Rapid 0 SL, it caused the rear brake disc to rub, it only happened under high loads but it happened enough for me to work out what it was, so just a note to test it and really test it such as a hill sprint as that revealed the issue on the Rapid.
Thanks. Will be taking the Giant for another healthy test ride today - will try to find a worthy hill.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
need this storm to fuck one right off. Want to get out on the bike and start putting the miles on :(

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
need this storm to fuck one right off. Want to get out on the bike and start putting the miles on :(

quoted for truth.

Though I could just get on the trainer...

Very few Cannondales sold around these parts, unfortunately, but the Quick models were ones I'd considered.
Thanks. Will be taking the Giant for another healthy test ride today - will try to find a worthy hill.

No problem, would rather pass alon some experience and the issue not exist than you got it then keep getting the rubbing i experienced and wonder what it is.

Last edited:

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Went down a significantly more technical trail than I usually go, extremely fast rolling rocky trail. Really enjoyed the Doubleshot 3's, the one part that was sorta sketchy let me flip them to flats and ride it out, then clipless the rest of the way.

Good times save for one spot.
Top tube not top bar but also top pain.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Problem with those pedals as I see it is that unless you've got five tens with the SPD section, chances are that your shoes aren't going to grip the pins anyway. Most shoes setup for SPDs use way too hard a rubber on the sole.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I bought a replacement rear mech hanger... Should I grease the bolts while installing it?

Oct 25, 2017
No problem, would rather pass alon some experience and the issue not exist than you got it then keep getting the rubbing i experienced and wonder what it is.
So I took the Giant Fastroad SL1 for a spin yesterday and loved it. One possible issue (distinct from you describe). When I had it cranked to the lowest (of 2) and shifted to the highest (of 11), there was audible chafing from the chain. Granted it was a weird gear to be in and not one I'd often use, but it was the one weird thing. I asked the Giant employee and he said it was normal as that's a weird gear to be in - fair point?

Strangely I then took the SL2 for a ride and at the lowest gear possible experienced a similar 'issue'
So, I bought a replacement rear mech hanger... Should I grease the bolts while installing it?
Man I have learned so much in the past week about bikes, but still this is usually me when reading posts like this or listening to sales people

UnitedImpureAlaskajingle-size_restricted.gif

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017

yes is the quick answer ;)

So I took the Giant Fastroad SL1 for a spin yesterday and loved it. One possible issue (distinct from you describe). When I had it cranked to the lowest (of 2) and shifted to the highest (of 11), there was audible chafing from the chain. Granted it was a weird gear to be in and not one I'd often use, but it was the one weird thing. I asked the Giant employee and he said it was normal as that's a weird gear to be in - fair point?

Strangely I then took the SL2 for a ride and at the lowest gear possible experienced a similar 'issue'

Man I have learned so much in the past week about bikes, but still this is usually me when reading posts like this or listening to sales people

UnitedImpureAlaskajingle-size_restricted.gif

technically you shouldn't cross the chain like you described as it adds wear, on drops you have what is called trim which can help with that. SRAM ETap the front mech actually rotates to allow that sort of cross.

but crossing the chain is kind of bad, so jumping to the larger front ring to continue down the rear cassette after the 4/5 gear on the smaller front ring.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Problem with those pedals as I see it is that unless you've got five tens with the SPD section, chances are that your shoes aren't going to grip the pins anyway. Most shoes setup for SPDs use way too hard a rubber on the sole.

Yeah I had to pull the pins up a bit, thankfully my foot isn't that big so even if it isn't the full flat platform it does fine, so far I've only used it down one small section. My ride time so far has been like 95% clipped in then just some really techy bits unclipped since I was super worried I would pedal strike on some giant rocks.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
After a January where it rained or snowed literally every single day, sun is a nice change, even if the clear has brought freezing temperatures back.

mmoSQr1.jpg

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Woah, I don't mind freezing temperatures if you have this kind of clear weather!
We still have rain and clouds every day... so it's a bit annoying -> until then, indoor trainer it is.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I think I've pushed my training too fast... started falling apart the last couple of days. Definitely wasn't as recovered as I thought I was.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Did 70 minutes on Zwift today. Still just really easy riding, but happy to see that I can stay that long on the bike again.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished this year's Tour of Sufferlandria.

Jesus Christ... went into it with damaged calves, on top of obviously not being fully recovered from my hip smashage. Mid way seemed to develop a chest infection and I've done the last three days barely limping along.

I mean, I should probably just ask to get put out of my misery now right? It would be the humane thing to do.

Edit - Good stuff Lonely1

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Thought I was cool running down a trail, thought I'd hop off a large rockface that was angled outward from the trail then hop back into the trail.

Turns out my tire decided to just slip down the rockface, turn 180 and launch me OTB.
Fortunately my shoulder landed on a nice soft rock. All things considered it went better than I would have expected given that the whole trail was a massive rock garden. Sore shoulder for a weekend is fine given that I managed to walk away with 0 other issues. Gotta tone it down a bit next time. Confidence was clearly at a level my skill was not.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Thought I was cool running down a trail, thought I'd hop off a large rockface that was angled outward from the trail then hop back into the trail.

Turns out my tire decided to just slip down the rockface, turn 180 and launch me OTB.
Fortunately my shoulder landed on a nice soft rock. All things considered it went better than I would have expected given that the whole trail was a massive rock garden. Sore shoulder for a weekend is fine given that I managed to walk away with 0 other issues. Gotta tone it down a bit next time. Confidence was clearly at a level my skill was not.
If it makes you feel any better, I've had EXACTLY that crash. Difference was I broke three ribs. =/

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, I've had EXACTLY that crash. Difference was I broke three ribs. =/

Yeah a friend of mine took a spill on a different part of that same trail like 3mo back, ended up in the hospital needing stitches. I joke, but I absolutely lucked out that I pitched over the bars and a managed to both unclip as I was flying as well as roll on a soft patch save for my shoulder that was the only part that rolled over a rock. My shoulder got a pretty mean scratch, but other than that I was damn lucky. Just reminds me that I'm still really new to the hobby and still treating it like snowboarding where if you bail, chances are the worst you'll get is a mean bruise.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
To me, seems like many accidents in mountain biking are unavoidable random events that will happen regardless of your skill level. Seemingly solid rock decides to loosen up the moment you ride over it? There you go.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me, seems like many accidents in mountain biking are unavoidable random events that will happen regardless of your skill level. Seemingly solid rock decides to loosen up the moment you ride over it? There you go.
Just gotta go really fast over it!

But seriously there are lots of factors in mountain biking you can control. Obviously skill level, but also bike setup (Mainly suspension) can go a long long way. Your skill level is worthless if you don't trust your bike.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
So eventful weekend.
Sat. I went out to the Millennium Trail in Calabasas. Went unaware of the fact that it was the trail that Kobe had crashed on, half way there we were like 'wait why do all the trail fork reviews say only RIP KOBE and then we realized it's connected to the Bark Trail that his helicopter hit on. Literally overlooks it and that's normally how mtb riders get on the trail. Fortunately it was open, we actually met a couple who had spoken to the trail managers for the city and argued with them that week about reopening it (it's nearly 20mi of trail surrounding it and the portion that was blocked was critical to connecting entrances/exits). At one point we came to the overlook on the trail that allowed for the vantage on the crash site. I get why it was closed off, the only thing stopping people from stepping on to it was a tape cordoned off trail. The mountain itself looks like someone reached down a scooped out a huge swath of the hill, it's wild and hard to capture on camera the sheer size of the removal. Most of it is under the overlook, but you can see where the trail just stops.

IMG_20200229_102358.jpg

After this ride I left my bike at a shop as I was dropping chains left and right, my rear wheel was in dire need of truing and my derailleur was bent too I think, basically was time someone took a look at it since I haven't had it serviced since I got it like 5-6mo ago. So for Sunday I rode my friends full suspension down our regular trail. This was actually my first time on a full squish and jesus man it's old as hell, has a tiny baby rear shock but it feels like night and day compared to my hardtail when you roll over chunky rocky sections. Normally I'm looking for the smoothest, flattest line I can take so my rear isn't trying to buck me and keep traction, but the rear shock made me feel planted 100% of the time. It was a size too small for me, the geometry had me standing way too forward but like man it was probably the most fun I've had burning down common trails in a while. Really playful.

It was old like I said and the seat post gave me issues the entire ride, the old dropper going up or down randomly. As we were leaving, I hopped over this tiny bump and the seat pivoted backwards so it pointed straight up, buzzed my bum on the rear wheel. Veered hard right towards a cliff edge that was not more than a few feet away, laughing while trying to stop the bike. Good times. Would have been super bad times though if I went down that cliff, nothing but rocks and cactus down a good drop.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I was laughing most of it, didn't realize till after the fact how close I came to that cliff edge. Not much more than a couple of steps away from riding a gurney down the hill instead of a bike.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm apparently fucked again. Just been in hospital having a battery of tests as for the past couple of weeks I've been unable to exercise (heart rate rockets, get out of breath doing anything as strenuous as walking up stairs).

I just want to be healthy and get on with my training / recovery. All so fucking tedious.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I know this feeling. Had the same after my Chemo ended for a few weeks. It's so frustrating since you know you could do more and usually you are not that weak, but then it just hits you and you can't do anything.

Get healthy!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't mind so much if I had a reason, but as it stands all they could say is that they want me back in a couple of weeks for tests on my heart.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Crazy times...
If you're in a country that has banned recreational cycling; best of luck in the coming months!

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Road cycling is not forbidden in the UK, but do you guys think I should stop doing it? I ride very defensively.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just moderate your speed a bit more where appropriate. As I said in the other thread, the hospitals are already stretched... don't want to add to their woes (and yours).

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Rode a little loop near home on my lunch break today and it helped a lot. Get out, and be safe.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Just moderate your speed a bit more where appropriate. As I said in the other thread, the hospitals are already stretched... don't want to add to their woes (and yours).

Our trust just announced every non essential member is to work from home, the hospital is going to become a ghost town, with comms via ms Teams as they've opened 365 to company globally for free for 6 months... no better way to take advantage of a bad situation from them really

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I will have to take outdoors running to get some vitamin D-producing cardio then.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'm missing my daily commute so much after just a week of WFH. Managed to get out on the bike for a quick spin at lunchtime the other day and it was amazing the difference it made to my mood. Obviously I was responsible and kept well away from anyone else. I agree entirely with those saying to get out on the bike, and to be careful.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I havent stopped riding either. Just taking it a bit easier.
I ride solo most of the time already anyways so not much of a change there!

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, my trainer just arrived. It is very noisy even for a quiet one. Now I'm worried about disturbing my flatmates... :S