• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
4K1FQlg.jpg

Hi y'all!
There are new roads to ride and unexplored trails. Smear your nethers in chamois cream and let's chat about the pleasures of self-propelled two-wheeled joy!

I've created a Strava club if you like to track stats:
http://www.strava.com/clubs/bicycleera

Show off your rides, give advice, suggest new places to explore!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
You'll need 6 bikes up there! Don't worry about the location, Strava clubs just require one to activate. It's for everyone around the world :-)

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm about to buy a new e-bike.
Going back and forth between
Haibike SDURO Trekking 5.0 (assists to 20mph)
or
Haibike XDURO Trekking 5.0s (assists to 28mph)

Any experience with Haibike in here?

OP
OP
Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried an e-bike yet. I was thinking of getting a Townie GO! for commuting but since I'm only 10 minutes away from work it's a bit overkill. You can get those kits from eBay to convert a regular cycle, now there's a project.
How many bikes did you have Aiustis?

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Hell yeah, we back baby... just in time for the cold weather when I stop riding haha.

Anyway, I've had a pretty good cycling year. Did my first century and proceed to do 4 more after that one, met a lot of great people and had lots of fun. I'm 2600+ miles in and my last ride of the year will probably be this weekend :(

OP
OP
Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
2600 miles?! You must have thighs like hams! I haven't got much riding in this year other than commuting, I need to do more long treks. It's funny, I prefer going out in the colder months, you just need the right wooly knickers and be a bit of a masochist.

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2600 miles?! You must have thighs like hams! I haven't got much riding in this year other than commuting, I need to do more long treks. It's funny, I prefer going out in the colder months, you just need the right wooly knickers and be a bit of a masochist.

I bought some of these socks for when I'm out on the mountain bike in Scotland. They're amazingly toastie, I was very surprised. I look pretty fly as well!

Mysocks® Unisex Knee High Long Socks Stripe Rainbow Thick https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CQ45SBE/?tag=e100-21

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut

I really haven't changed much physically, just my legs are more toned, not bigger.

And I live in New England, our cold months are brutal, no way I'm riding in that.

TEEPO

Oct 25, 2017
5600 and still going going

i've slightly improved year over year in miles. however, my training load has significantly improved on a yoy basis

ed5fAR1.png

ed5fAR1

TEEPO

Oct 25, 2017
veloviewer.com

very awesome data visualization but some of the features are resource intensive, specifically the heat maps

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Nice one. I was hoping there was a Bicycle OT and was going to start one if not.
I'm a mountain biker and have been for thirty years. Did around 3,000 muddy miles last year but am WAY down on that total this year.
This thread is a little photo-shy. Let's address that.
My current beast is a Whyte T130 Works :

AVCbJGc.jpg

...and old bikes go to die here:

DO1tpDy.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you guys see this image - it's my main road bike - linked it from a Strava activity, but unsure if everyone can see it.

IdCiH_KxwYamnsCz4T6JDzmgCPdi4meseOgzu4vW7kw-2048x1536.jpg

Stuueyy

Oct 26, 2017
Yep looks fine, even on mobile!

Lurked in the old thread a lot but new start so going to start contributing here. I have a Contend SL1 disc but not done much riding considering I have a child, and now a broken toe. I ride with SPD-SL's so my foot should be kept pretty flat and not much bending but I just don't want to risk damaging it! It's been 3 weeks or so and I just miss riding, think of the weather is nice here (uk... lol when is it ever?!) then I'll try and get out if not I'll do an hour on the trainer whilst binging stranger things season 2!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
It's been 3 weeks or so and I just miss riding, think of the weather is nice here (uk... lol when is it ever?!) then I'll try and get out if not I'll do an hour on the trainer whilst binging stranger things season 2!

Part of the reason my mileage is way down this year (apart from injuries) is that I've now got Sky Q and a 50" screen in my home 'gym' (ie, my garage), so I've been hitting the cross trainer and rowing machine in front of box sets instead of getting down 'n' dirty in the woods. It's just quicker and cleaner and doesn't involve an hour of bike cleaning afterwards, but I have been missing those trees.

Which is better than hitting them I guess...

Stuueyy

Oct 26, 2017
Part of the reason my mileage is way down this year (apart from injuries) is that I've now got Sky Q and a 50" screen in my home 'gym' (ie, my garage), so I've been hitting the cross trainer and rowing machine in front of box sets instead of getting down 'n' dirty in the woods. It's just quicker and cleaner and doesn't involve an hour of bike cleaning afterwards, but I have been missing those trees.

Which is better than hitting them I guess...

Yes that's very true.

Just because I've learned how to post images now... my bike :) Bonus: Doge in pic.

mlTj8hL.jpg

I've removed the reflectors and bell

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
763eecbf-d53b-46bf-b6kudn.jpeg

My Crixus before the chainset swap will need to get new photos

c5f53c67-daab-4721-bspu69.jpeg

My defy which is now snuggled it its winter home.

And unfortunately I don't have photos of my B'Twin 520 :(

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Will post a pic of mine when I get off work, not a looker, but I love it.

xSbtFta_d.jpg

This was a few weeks ago when I climbed the highest point in Massachusetts.

Last edited:

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Hello. Been cycling the last 18 months or so. Was training for a big local ride this summer but slipped a disk in April so have been out of action for the last six months. Started riding again this month but got a long way to go to get back to where I was.

Finding it hard to limit myself and not aggravate everything again. Feel like I want to go all out every ride but have to keep telling myself to take it easy. Which actually isn't too hard as I have very little fitness at the minute.

Going to enter the same event I was supposed to do next year in June. So will be working for the next 8 months to get back to fitness and push on some more.

Everything is hard at the minute.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly went on the turbo last winter. I did get out when I could at weekends though. The countryside looks pretty cool with low sun and long shadows.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
If we're posting our bikes...

1979 Fuji America

A bike with some idiosyncrasies... nominally a touring machine, but quite noodly to where it develops a shimmy when used with a hefty rear load, and the stock granny gear isn't that low. But a phenomenal bike nonetheless. Rides well, and it just plain feels good to put power through the pedals. I've used it for light touring, but I've removed the rear rack and I'm currently trying to work out a good way to attach a front rack; I think a more randonneuring-ish build will suit it better.

iecc9ixkqjxz.jpg

2015 Trek X-Caliber 6

Cheapo hardtail. Works well as a mount for a dinosaur squeeze horn. :)

3txy9tfbzjs0.jpg

2016 Trek Emonda ALR 5

My primary fenderless red road bike. Lively handling, corners tight and feels punchy out of the saddle. Visually loud.
Hibernates during winter.

njtu4szm2k49.jpg

1983 Miyata 710

My secondary fenderless red road bike. Lively handling, feels punchy out of the saddle, and would probably corner tight if that Pasela tread compound didn't give me unnerving vibes. The gearing range sucks. I've been contemplating restoring the original Miyata-branded saddle, because although the Brooks Swift is mostly comfortable, its nose is too narrow; although the saddle has a rivet, ironically I can't really ride "on the rivet."
Hibernates during winter.

5roymb34aj8z.jpg

1991 Bridgestone RB-T

Was once a quality touring bike, too small to fit me. Now it's a cheap bike thrown together from whatever was laying around, that more or less fits me if you squint just right.
Does not hibernate during winter.

p1ra27s25kca.jpg

Classic Bianchi

Actually a 2016 Fuji Feather, but everyone always asks me if it's a classic Bianchi. It's a basic street fixie that I've set up for use as a track bike. The local velodrome is annoyingly far away, but I have gotten some racing out of it.

0xigzrphhk8y.jpg

1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

Was once a mountain bike, long ago. Now it's... something.
Aggressive road fit, tight gearing for spirited road riding plus low bailouts for climbing steep loose surfaces, and I usually keep it equipped with high-performance ultra-wide slicks.

metjtnehsjcg.jpg

Last edited:

gillty

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver - Kansai
I was away for the summer, but I ride a Lynskey Ti legacy frame, with Ultegra 6800 50-36 (Durace inner chainring) groupo, chinese carbon fork, and some 35mm fulcrum quattro wheeset. I'm the guy who is slacking on the km's in club, Tyler G.
18251636_167421957288qsjar.jpg

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i had a single-speed a few years ago but was always too chicken shit to actually ride it anywhere other than a designated bike path. plus it always hurt my neck for some reason, not sure if the frame was too big/small (i'm 6'1). i think i wanna get something much 'upright' and with swept-back handlebars - what is this type of frame called these days?

edit: similar to this, but as you can tell i have no idea. https://momentummag.com/wp-content/...ht_Gwendal_City-Glide-2_Photo-Ben-Johnson.jpg

OP
OP
Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my ride, it's based on an On-One Scandal 29er frame with a mix of SRAM X0 shifters and rear mech, XT front mech, SLX chainset and Formula brakes. Here's the old incarnation in British racing green, which although the colour was gorgeous (it's darker than these pics suggest) I had a lot of problems with the horizontal dropouts at the back.

j5CgAM3.jpg

srMzeRF.jpg

Yep those are sprouts. I had some mucky rides with it, but eventually sold the frame as those dropouts were more suited for a single speed/fixie setup. I got the newer Scandal frame with vertical dropouts, thinking I could swap everything over, but despite it being the same frame, all the sizes were different! I had to go about buying a new components to fit.

1Za5Ppy.jpg

Here's the new frame, and suss forks which I got for a steal. And my mate's 70s Micro, the crazy bastard.
It's a commuter by day and I slap the knobbly tyres on when roaming up the hills!

Last edited:

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Happy to be part of this community. I manage a bicycle shop that carries Trek and Specialized. I am also a Serotta bicycle fitter with 11 years of experience. Happy to offer assistance with any cycling questions you may have. I am always happy to help anyone find closeout deals on either brand that they can then order through their local shops. Here to help! :)

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Happy to be part of this community. I manage a bicycle shop that carries Trek and Specialized. I am also a Serotta bicycle fitter with 11 years of experience. Happy to offer assistance with any cycling questions you may have. I am always happy to help anyone find closeout deals on either brand that they can then order through their local shops. Here to help! :)

Awesome.

Quick Question... is the madone really worth all that money? I really really want one, those bikes are beautiful and I've been told they're super fast. But you know, at the price tags those bikes have, they better be.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Awesome.

Quick Question... is the madone really worth all that money? I really really want one, those bikes are beautiful and I've been told they're super fast. But you know, at the price tags those bikes have, they better be.

I have always been a big fan of their bikes, especially the quality of the ride. That said, they are a bit on the pricey side. What size do you ride? I will check to see if there are any closeouts to be had.

EDIT: Not much left of 2017 stock. Looks like the discounts are more minimal on that bike right now (around 11% price reduction on wholesale)

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I have always been a big fan of their bikes, especially the quality of the ride. That said, they are a bit on the pricey side. What size do you ride? I will check to see if there are any closeouts to be had.

EDIT: Not much left of 2017 stock. Looks like the discounts are more minimal on that bike right now (around 11% price reduction on wholesale)

I ride a 56 frame, but I'm still fairly new to cycling and still tweaking my frame set up. I won't be getting a new bike for a few years but the madone is at the top of my list, which I why I asked.

TEEPO

Oct 25, 2017
drove an hour out for a ride in the countryside. one step out of the car and i was like nope, fuck this. riding through 19-20mph winds on unfamiliar roads wasn't what i was in the mood for today