• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In his defense, I'm guessing he means that he plans on throwing shitloads of money towards cancer research.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Did he do a 360 Point afterwards?

tenor.gif

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because he actually has a chance of winning so people are paying more attention.

Furthermore not sure what this and Cipherr's prupose even is in this thread. "Oh a lot of people hate him now but he wasn't as hated before so this means it's all manufactured outrage instead of literally hundreds of other reasons"
"Why do people hate Joe Biden"

A friend of mine from HS will die in prison because of the crime bill. Because "oops, three strikes".

Material harm done to people because of him just magically doesn't matter because people what, didn't blast him for it when he was vice president enough? Sorry I don't have a time machine to make that a thing. But he's running for the most powerful governmental position in the world, so yeah, I would like that person to not have caused lasting harm to countless lives.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I said what my point was. My point was the hatred that's being directed at him is new and came with his campaign announcement. It looks like you agree. Fix your tone and read my post; and I never commented on anyones ire at anything except this particular statement which I still stand by, so don't try slipping "his past record" in there as if its the topic of this discussion when it isn't. Keep those goalposts in place.
I seriously don't get your point. Do you expect us to hate on Biden if he hadn't run for president? It's the same as hating on Bush right now. We all hate him, but he has no business in politics anymore so what's the point? When Biden announced his campaign, it's always going to put him on the firing line. He's more relevant now that he can possibly affect my life.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying everyone does it. Like, many US politicians talk about gun restriction legislation when trying to get re-elected, but everyone knows that ain't passing. Sanders did the same shit a couple of nights ago in a CNN interview, with regards to student loan forgiveness.

Oh, burn. Do you think anyone gives a shit about memes? Even in the UK? How's that helping all the EU nationals left wondering what's going on. If "mock the shit out of them" is a valid political after-effect, more people should watch Mock The Week or HIGNFY.

Okay. Good for you. How about acknowledging my point number 2, which says that the President can and does directly influence health research?

I expect better of people who aren't right wing snake oil merchants. If the leader of the party I vote for was making claims about curing cancer with votes I'd be taking the piss out of them and stating more seriously it was an unethical claim.

That's good for the President, like it is every President. It's also good to know the rest of the world, in countries which aren't going full balls to the wall profiteering off pharma, we're investing non stop in cancer research too.

The President or presidential candidates should still not be talking shit to try and buy votes. It's unethical. Especially around something as serious as cancer. In fact, cancer is probably up there as one of the stupidest things to lie or exaggerate about. More so than coal mining jobs or whatever other lies get told at times to win votes.

Doubly so because of the state of American healthcare. That upsets and angers many. I mean he couldn't have said "Vote for me and I'll make healthcare free at the point of entry for every American!". Nah mate, gotta tell everyone I'll cure cancer.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously don't get your point. Do you expect us to hate on Biden if he hadn't run for president? It's the same as hating on Bush right now. We all hate him, but he has no business in politics anymore so what's the point? When Biden announced his campaign, it's always going to put him on the firing line. He's more relevant now that he can possibly affect my life.

If you are still having a problem getting my point I again redirect you to read the post again. First of all, it was a response to another post. So if you have an issue with it being spoken about, then you need to quote the person I responded to. And I fully know exactly what happens to people when they announce their candidacy; Im not one of the people that was too young to vote last term, so yes I know that. In fact, that's part of the point I made. When the person I quoted (which you seem to keep missing) stated that Biden was always this disliked, I challenged that. And I stand by that challenge. There's a very clear and distinct, if not expected massive growth in the vitriol to everything he says post candidacy than there was beforehand. It's strange that you keep agreeing with me, yet keep trying to somehow paint my post as "out there" for some reason.

The poster I quoted was wrong. No he is clearly more hated now than then. The point of my post was to relay that to the poster. (That's why I quoted him).

I'm not sure how much more clear I can make that for you.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The President or presidential candidates should still not be talking shit to try and buy votes. It's unethical. Especially around something as serious as cancer.

But this surely gets into subjective grounds. I view forgiving student debt as "buying votes" - I think it's cynical manipulation of the youth vote. But that doesn't mean the will or finances aren't there to make great strides in such a thing. The same with gun restrictions.

If your "step too far" is cancer research, okays. But, again, let's not pretend that this isn't a) specific to America, or b) specific to Biden and cancer. Which is certainly what some people here are doing.

If he secures the nomination, good luck on motivating black voters to come out.

Joe Biden leads Democratic rivals when it comes to enthusiasm among black voters: poll

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize that Biden was a medical researcher. I also didn't realize that all the myriad forms of cancer had a single cure. What great news. /s
Fuck Biden and his stupid senile ass. What a dumb thing to say. Yes, he's slightly less bad than Trump, but that's such a low hurdle to clear that it shouldn't even be enough to be a viable candidate.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
If you are still having a problem getting my point I again redirect you to read the post again. First of all, it was a response to another post. So if you have an issue with it being spoken about, then you need to quote the person I responded to. And I fully know exactly what happens to people when they announce their candidacy; Im not one of the people that was too young to vote last term, so yes I know that. In fact, that's part of the point I made. When the person I quoted (which you seem to keep missing) stated that Biden was always this disliked, I challenged that. And I stand by that challenge. There's a very clear and distinct, if not expected massive growth in the vitriol to everything he says post candidacy than there was beforehand. It's strange that you keep agreeing with me, yet keep trying to somehow paint my post as "out there" for some reason.

The poster I quoted was wrong. No he is clearly more hated now than then. The point of my post was to relay that to the poster. (That's why I quoted him).

I'm not sure how much more clear I can make that for you.
He gets more hate because because the left has a bigger voice.

Because the legacy of third way dems took a hard turn off a cliff recently

It's really not that complicated.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But this surely gets into subjective grounds. I view forgiving student debt as "buying votes" - I think it's cynical manipulation of the youth vote. But that doesn't mean the will or finances aren't there to make great strides in such a thing. The same with gun restrictions.

If your "step too far" is cancer research, okays. But, again, let's not pretend that this isn't a) specific to America, or b) specific to Biden and cancer. Which is certainly what some people here are doing.

Joe Biden leads Democratic rivals when it comes to enthusiasm among black voters: poll

But you probably can find ways to forgive student debt, or large chunks of it. Heres a kicker for some of you, I live in a country where University is free. Yes, free.

Taxes can be redirected to cover education costs or debt. It is possible.

You ain't curing cancer because you put that in your manifesto. Untold millions already get thrown at cancer research. It's a stupidly complex issue for humanity that needs time and even that's not a guarantee.

But here's Joe Biden in a 4 year window going to do it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's really not that complicated.

Agreed. That's probably why I was able to tell that poster with such confidence that the hate is much higher now than before without having to do any extensive research beforehand. I still think you are better off telling this to the poster that disagrees though... It just feels like you are aggressively agreeing with me, which is odd.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Which Democratic candidate is doing the best with black voters per latest polls?

At this very early stage, probably Biden because he's riding the coattails of Obama's legacy, but there's no telling if that'll last since the primaries haven't officially begun. As more voices from the black media speak up, which some are already doing, I believe that support will diminish considerably.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
I expect better of people who aren't right wing snake oil merchants. If the leader of the party I vote for was making claims about curing cancer with votes I'd be taking the piss out of them and stating more seriously it was an unethical claim.

That's good for the President, like it is every President. It's also good to know the rest of the world, in countries which aren't going full balls to the wall profiteering off pharma, we're investing non stop in cancer research too.

The President or presidential candidates should still not be talking shit to try and buy votes. It's unethical. Especially around something as serious as cancer.

It is a lofty goal that we should aspire for. Just like when Jack Kennedy said to put a man on the moon and bring him back safely within 10 years. Setting a goal such as curing cancer is not a joke, but if its taken seriously many great things can come from it.

I like Joe but I don't want him to win the Nomination(I want new blood), but I will vote for him if he wins it. That being said, this sort of rhetoric is necessary in times like this. We as a country don't dream big anymore. We talk dollars and cents, instead of looking at the future and what could be possible. We are explorers after all, we need to reach out further than our forefathers and reach for new horizons in all aspects of life.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a lofty goal that we should aspire for. Just like when Jack Kennedy said to put a man on the moon and bring him back safely within 10 years. Setting a goal such as curing cancer is not a joke, but if its taken seriously many great things can come from it.

I like Joe but I don't want him to win the Nomination(I want new blood), but I will vote for him if he wins it. That being said, this sort of rhetoric is necessary in times like this. We as a country don't dream big anymore. We talk dollars and cents, instead of looking at the future and what could be possible. We are explorers after all, we need to reach out further than our forefathers and reach for new horizons in all aspects of life.

Please stop talking about putting people on the moon inline with curing cancer. It's a bit comical.

This rhetoric is not necessary. Tell Biden to give more of a shit about Universal healthcare if you want to use your landing on the moon comparisons.

Are you trying to imply curing cancer isn't already being taken seriously and we've just been waiting on big Joe to call it?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
God I hate Biden.

Like, I get it. My mom died of cancer. I don't like cancer. Nobody likes cancer. But cancer is fundamentally incurable. We're getting better at preventing it, and we're developing better treatments for some of the thousands upon thousands of cancers out there, but it's not something that can ever be cured. You're better off trying to make an uncrashable car. So Biden is either lying or he doesn't know wtf he's talking about, and neither espouses any hope.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bold, and a bit stupid thing to say and ESPECIALLY to promise, but a noble cause on which he lost his son to and my grand mother as well so I can't really hate him for saying this.

I can hate him for a lot of shit he did, but not this. At least if it's something he cares to fight against that's better than what any GOP freak would ever invest in.

Fuck cancer. And no, I don't forgive you, king.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Biden visited my former place of work as part of his Cancer Moonshot tour, so I get where he's coming from. But kindly fuck off with a claim like that. How did he learn nothing from that?

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Trump won beside 'build the wall'. That seemed cartoonish and racist as fuck, but a lot of folks rallied to it. He counted on simple messaging and rode it to victory.

Curing cancer seems unrealistic and naive, but Joe has the foundation and personal attachment to it. It's a lot more unifying than build the wall, and it positions Joe in a positive way. The narrative writes itself actually, and it's a certifiably simple message.

Seems like strategy, and an example of how Biden can actually beat Trump. As depressing as it is, he'll be the old white male that 'unifies' instead of divides.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
God I hope people see this for the cynical bullshit it is.
That curing cancer isn't a passion for him? Or, as our previous president stated, "With the right investment and a belief in the ingenuity of the American people, there's nothing we can't do?"

Biden won't push for increased funding of cancer research as he did during his time as VP or the bill Obama signed named after his son?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Why not make the currently existing treatment modalities actually affordable to the people who need it though. Why put all this focus on curing it when it's obvious to anyone who knows anything about cancer that "curing" cancer is a fool's errand when put that way

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Please stop talking about putting people on the moon inline with curing cancer. It's a bit comical.

This rhetoric is not necessary. Tell Biden to give more of a shit about Universal healthcare if you want to use your landing on the moon comparisons.

Are you trying to imply curing cancer isn't already being taken seriously and we've just been waiting on big Joe to call it?
You are miss interpreting what I am saying. Having ideas that aspire innovation, and putting those ideas forward is a good thing. Focusing the resources of different agencies for things like this is a good thing.

The amount of negativity about this is astonishing. So what if he said and if he has that ambition? Good.. More people should aspire for lofty goals in life, and we as a nation should aspire to do the impossible, thats what human beings have always done.

In regards to your last comment, honestly if you talk to people in the medical field, or just look at the trajectory of Pharmaceutical companies over the past 30 years you will find that there is more money to be made from treating a disease than curing it.

So just like Big Oil Companies have gobbled up renewable energy patents and fight tooth and nail for anything that hurts their bottom line, pharmaceutical companies do the same fucking thing. They want to treat a disease, and very rarely to they truly want to cure it.(I am talking about the suits, and not the scientists)

Why not make the currently existing treatment modalities actually affordable to the people who need it though. Why put all this focus on curing it when it's obvious to anyone who knows anything about cancer that "curing" cancer is a fool's errand when put that way

I don't agree with the fool errand, but a part of this would obviously include lowering prices of cancer treatments along with designing new treatments.

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be so anti-climatic when the Diamond Joe Cancer-palooza turns out to be the plan he had written at the end of Obama's term. It probably includes an all of the above approach including fostering international research, subsidizing more cancer meds and a wide-ranging PR campaign calling attention to common cancer causes.

By then, we'll have all exhausted ourselves after Trump declares war on Puerto Rico and CNN

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
You can't "cure" cancer it doesn't work that way.

Moreover even if you could, the access to treatment is so unattainable for so many it's a hollow thing.

And worst of all he isn't even saying I want to cure cancer or I will do everything I can to cure cancer he's promising to do so, even though he must know he has no ability to make that a reality.

Wasn't there a West Wing episode where they took this out of one of Bartlett's speeches because of how irresponsible it was?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That would imply that he would change how pharmaceuticals do their work and make sure the proper research is funded to get the cure made.

I'm game for that.

No, it implies he doesn't know what he's talking about and just insulted every cancer scientist, as if they've been fucking around for the last century.

I hate cancer as much as anyone else who lost a family member to it. It's also literally impossible that we are going to "cure" it.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Man people really hate Biden, huh.

I guess we're just looking for something we can consider a gaffe.

It's something a charlatan would say. He came into the race banking on name recognition with a more than questionable history and record, and just expects people to vote for him based on fantastical promises that he doesn't even believe in himself. I'm sorry if people have high standards.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
His son died of cancer. What is wrong with you?
Yeah so he should know better.
Apparently it keeps needing to be repeated so I'll quote for emphasis..

You can't "cure" cancer it doesn't work that way.

Moreover even if you could, the access to treatment is so unattainable for so many it's a hollow thing.

And worst of all he isn't even saying I want to cure cancer or I will do everything I can to cure cancer he's promising to do so, even though he must know he has no ability to make that a reality.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
People are saying they're gonna try to solve climate change so why not try cancer?

Really kind of disgusted how people are using it against him and his son died of brain cancer.

"Millions of species will die!"

And the response is "Yeah so what"

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah so he should know better.
Apparently it keeps needing to be repeated so I'll quote for emphasis..
Biden actually curing cancer has as much likelihood of becoming reality as any progressive darling's moonshot policy proposal. But you don't see me cynically accusing the father of a cancer victim of using his personal loss to score political points

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Biden actually curing cancer has as much likelihood of becoming reality as any progressive darling's moonshot policy proposal. But you don't see me cynically accusing the father of a cancer victim of using his personal loss to score political points

One is made difficult through political realities, one is made impossible through biological realities. There is absolutely a difference.

I never accused him of trying to use his sons' death to score points, my point is that if helping people who are suffering from cancer is his goal then a cure is a red herring to throw money at while care remains inaccessible to most of the population.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
People are saying they're gonna try to solve climate change so why not try cancer?

Really kind of disgusted how people are using it against him and his son died of brain cancer.

"Millions of species will die!"

And the response is "Yeah so what"

Because C02 emissions reduction via renewable energy are a tangible thing you can target and achieve.

Cancer isn't a thing you cure it's a wide variety of diseases and mutations that impact people differently.