• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
People already are searching for more and better treatments for cancer. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. And it's currently unclear how much more could presently be done to speed up research into it. So it costs a politician nothing to promise they'll revamp cancer research because most people wouldn't be able to notice any changes.

Do you wanna know what kind of changes people can notice? Shit like Canada banning single-use plastics. Shit like Germany closing all of their coal-based power plants. Concrete changes you can point to as both a reference for the works you're doing, and as an inspiration to other people to try and do similar.

Biden didn't invent the fantasy that cancer can be cured, but he seems to have no problem spreading it. You don't seem to understand: cancer biologically cannot be cured, because it's not something where the problem is curable. It's not just a matter of how many cancers there are, but what cancer even is in the first place. It'd be like trying to cure broken bones. The problem isn't foreign agents that need to be quelled, but natural systems breaking down in malignant fashions.

Accessibility is not a separate issue because Biden is vocally opposed to medicare for all. So what's the point of developing improved cancer treatments if more people aren't going to be able to get them?

People don't want a president with a personal issue. We want a president who represents the people they preside over. We can't afford to have someone who's getting caught up in personal vendettas.

So, you've just already decided in your head that people who don't like Biden are being mean to him, and now all of our well-reasoned explanations for being upset with him are getting added to your nag pile, "look at that bitch eating crackers" style.

Just because your arguments are well-reasoned doesn't make them not still go on the "nag pile." You're just arguing technicalities all day and I can argue technicalities all day about why banning single-use plastic and trying to solve carbon emissions will still not be enough before the end times are upon us since the GOP will just block or slowdown all of it.

What the hell is the point of doing cancer research then? What's the point of me taking the bus to work instead of driving my car? Apparently neither will solve the problem they are trying to solve. But it still happens because people care about those issues.

If we didn't have a president who thought we could beat the Nazis, the world wouldn't be the same place. I think I'm okay with a president being passionate about eliminating cancer.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Joe Biden told the story of his personal tragedy as a reason (excuse) for why he was considering running for President in 2016. Joe set that up as early as August 2015 via a story he told to the press in order to lay the foundation for this potential bid to become the Democratic Primary Nominee. The article I linked runs this process down quite clearly. I'm not entirely what point you're making?
Biden was going to run for presidency in 2016. Had Beau not become stricken by an illness, he absolutely would have ran, despite pressure for him to not pursue a run.

We can at least have the decorum to not question the impact of his son's passing. The man lost his oldest son to brain cancer and led the charge for the Moonshot project. His decision to run was significantly impacted by his son's death.

Shit on Joe Biden for many things, literally, just google news his last week. But his passion for advancement in cancer treatment and his son's death, I mean, seriously?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Just because your arguments are well-reasoned doesn't make them not still go on the "nag pile." You're just arguing technicalities all day and I can argue technicalities all day about why banning single-use plastic and trying to solve carbon emissions will still not be enough before the end times are upon us since the GOP will just block or slowdown all of it.

What the hell is the point of doing cancer research then? What's the point of me taking the bus to work instead of driving my car? Apparently neither will solve the problem they are trying to solve. But it still happens because people care about those issues.

If we didn't have a president who thought we could beat the Nazis, the world wouldn't be the same place. I think I'm okay with a president being passionate about eliminating cancer.
I'd have more sympathy for that if this wasn't the same person telling people the green new deal or medicare for all isn't realistic, among other things. It pisses me off to see that apparently these people can dream of seemingly impossible things, but only for one of the very few things that impact the lives of the rich. It's proof he's not proposing these weak policies for the sake of making them easier to pass and be paid for, but instead he's making them weak because he personally can't stomach the costs to help people who need it most.

Like, where that's belief in beating the nazis and going to the moon when it comes to getting America to catch up with Europe on basic human rights.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Maybe.

Though I always think if someone makes a promise that's basically undeliverable you're standing on shaky ground when you infer it really means it's actually a promise to do something else.
What else could it mean? Like, he's either going to invest money into cancer research or... what? Pass an executive order forcing cancer to go to Mexico? Build a wall around cancer?

Maybe he'll reduce FDA regulations around testing new treatments or something? I could see something like that... maybe? It doesn't seem any more crazy than saying "I'll pass single payer". Its less crazy. The chances of single payer making it through Congress (specifically the Senate) in the next decade are basically zero. The chances that some treatment comes along that helps extend the survival rates for breast cancer by a decade seem non-zero?

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Well I think they can certainly do more to help people with cancer. But claiming you can cure it is just unrealistic and bit ignorant. Good intention though, certainly a better lie than saying you'll build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
What else could it mean? Like, he's either going to invest money into cancer research or... what? Pass an executive order forcing cancer to go to Mexico? Build a wall around cancer?

Maybe he'll reduce FDA regulations around testing new treatments or something? I could see something like that... maybe? It doesn't seem any more crazy than saying "I'll pass single payer". Its less crazy. The chances of single payer making it through Congress (specifically the Senate) in the next decade are basically zero. The chances that some treatment comes along that helps extend the survival rates for breast cancer by a decade seem non-zero?

He could do any of those things or nothing honestly.

That's why I say it's difficult to infer when the "cure cancer" thing is flatly bullshit and you're left reading the tea leaves.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I understand his son died of cancer, but that's a really stupid and irresponsible thing to say.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad everyone before him was so lazy. If only they'd have worked harder.

His propensity to say stupid nonsense like this is one of the myriad reasons Biden should be neither nominee nor President.

Nah, looks like he learned the important lessons from 2016: Just promise shit. Doesn't matter if it's impossible to implement, promise it anyway. People are dumb enough to believe it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are saying Biden would be an awful president, what they're saying is that the idea he's going to cakewalk Trump is foolish. I don't think Biden can beat Trump and his behavior and clueless statements are putting up red flag after red flag. It's like there's this patriarchal class that thinks they know what's best and all they do is ignore history and evidence and tell anyone going against the "plan" to hush. As if criticism of Biden makes them petulant children.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are saying Biden would be an awful president, what they're saying is that the idea he's going to cakewalk Trump is foolish. I don't think Biden can beat Trump and his behavior and clueless statements are putting up red flag after red flag. It's like there's this patriarchal class that thinks they know what's best and all they do is ignore history and evidence and tell anyone going against the "plan" to hush. As if criticism of Biden makes them petulant children.

The guy who has made a political career with erratic behavior and clueless statements is literally president.

This line of argument confuses me. Clearly, that doesn't really matter very much.

Oct 27, 2017
Trump is an openly racist president that appeals to the frightened white hegemony. It's not hard to understand if we take the veil off.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I am willing to sacrifice medical advancement to stop 80-year-old vampires to become president.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump will be reelected for sure, and if he stays in relative good health after his second term, he'll gladly endorse his daughter as first female president, (or Donny jr.) some scary decades ahead

Last edited:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Sounds like a populist tactic. Overall though it's a much more worthy goal than going to Mars or building a space force.

It's possible to cure cancer with enough money, time and research. Not with a miracle cure for every case, but with many. I highly doubt it would happen in the next 4 years though.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Warren please save us.

Though, when Biden was VP he invested in a lot of research in forming groups to tackle cancer. I actually helped out with some of his work at one point. I think he would actually invest the money, time and people to find a cure.. but still. Smh.

Oct 27, 2017
Not against curing cancer, against irresponsible statements like this. Cancer isn't one thing, there will never be one cure. And I lost my best friend to the same cancer.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Joe Biden leaked his own son's dying words (a.k.a that Joe needs to run for President) to the press in an attempt to further his political career? Yeah, the man is a 'politician' through and through and has already used his personal tragedy in an attempt to garner sympathy and boost his political chances, so it's worth keeping this in mind while we scrutinize the statements he makes on this topic:

Source: Politico https://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/joe-biden-beau-2016-214459

Yes. I remember that.

It honestly made me not have a favorable opinion of Biden's political tactics.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of ya'll just want to hate on Biden. His son died of cancer four years ago. It's a personal issue he wants to ambitiously tackle and made it known before leaving office. Who the hell would be against this cause?
No one is pro-cancer or anti-cancer research.

What we're saying is that it's a ridiculous statement that is completely nonsensical. There are many different forms of cancer and there will never be a universal "cure" that works for all of them. This means Biden either doesn't know, which is embarrassingly naive for someone who has personally dealt with cancer or he knows and has so much disdain for voters that he is trotting out complete and utter BS to try to get votes.
He might as well promise every American household a unicorn if he were to get elected. It's just as grounded in reality.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Biden will say any bullshit if it can get him what he wants. Absolutely no sense of shame. Reminds me of someone...

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
The real issue here is not the technology. It is the drug industry.

I am sure the drug company lobbyists are going to work overdrive on the GOPers to convince the people how bad it will be to cure cancer.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
How about you instead give us universal healthcare so we can have more frequent checkups without fear of going broke so we can then catch the cancer early.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
THE DRUG COMPANIES KNOW THERE'S NO MONEY IN CURES, ONLY TREATMENTS
-said the vaccinated person preemptively cured of a dozen diseases unaware of the hundreds of thousands of cancer researchers underground secretly looking for a cure while avoiding Pfizer's roaming researcher death squads and Johnson & Johnson's anti-researcher Predator UAVs

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I'm well aware of the time and effort Biden has spent on improving cancer research and treatment. Shit, it's an issue which he's probably spent more time thinking about and planning than every other candidate in the race combined. That's why it's particularly perplexing he chose to word his speech that obviously misleading way. I know he means well but words have meaning, and factually speaking it is impossible to "cure" cancer any time in the near future. In the era of Trump I think it's especially important that politicians double check the accuracy and intelligibility of their claims, and them not doing so absolutely hurts my view of them as a candidate. As such, I'd love to see Biden come out and apologize and correct his statement.

The real issue here is not the technology. It is the drug industry.

I am sure the drug company lobbyists are going to work overdrive on the GOPers to convince the people how bad it will be to cure cancer.
Nah, the real issue is the technology. You can't "cure" cancer. The closest you can come is curing some certain very specific cancers with enough time and funding. In any case, if a cure was available, drug companies would love to find and patent it, so what you stated is definitely not true.

Last edited: