• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The real issue here is not the technology. It is the drug industry.

I am sure the drug company lobbyists are going to work overdrive on the GOPers to convince the people how bad it will be to cure cancer.

Yup. If it wasn't for those damn lobbyists, Biden would've already cured cancer.

Brain cancer? Breast cancer? Bowel cancer? He would've just cured cancer. It's those damn lobbyists working overdrive to convince us there's different types of cancers and not just one cure for cancer.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back to Kennedy's big 'we Choose to go to the moon and do the other things - not because they are easy but because they are hard' speech ... what were the other things and did they ever do them?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking back to Kennedy's big 'we Choose to go to the moon and do the other things - not because they are easy but because they are hard' speech ... what were the other things and did they ever do them?

The other things were things we'd already done at that point (climb Everest, cross the Atlantic, play football).

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I understand what he's trying to say and where he's coming from even though he's not using the correct phrasing. And it's something more people understand. It's a goal; a driven purpose to increase research into health and wellness and cancer treatments. I am no fan of Biden as the Dem candidate, but I can't dunk on him for this. Especially because this is something so personal to him.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
If anything Biden is the candidate that will perform the best in the "imbeciles" demographic, stealing a certain number of Trump voters. That's the only positive thing I can think about this guy though.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who had to deal with cancer very directly in my family and have a good idea of the various types and treatments, this is a pretty fucking stupid thing to say.

Devoting more resources and attempting a real monumental step in understanding and treating cancer is fantastic and should be celebrated, but don't give people false hope. Not to mention you aren't addressing the entire pile of problem our entire healthcare system is to begin with. It wasn't very long ago my mother had to stop chemo treatments because her insurer denied her "pre-existing" condition of developing cancer.

Fuck cancer.

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mbcMIQDTUftYxMkrK_ZHP8UMryOkHyWEQW5UmIN4vHU.png

Objectively quite the easy choice tbh... but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority in the US or in the developed world in general would opt for the egoistical option instead.

I'm mashing LT but nothing is happening

yep... just like that.
maxresdefault.jpg

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Objectively quite the easy choice tbh... but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority in the US or in the developed world in general would opt for the egoistical option instead.
uh which of the two is the 'egotistical' option that apparently doesn't affect the US, hunger or cancer

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Two groups of people hate Biden for saying he's going to cure cancer:

1. Hard-left Era
2. Big Pharma
You're joking right?

Big Pharma loves the fact that Biden is ignoring the nutritional crisis orchestrated by food companies and wasting money on a "cure" that will never exist. Why don't people care about preventing cancer as much as "curing" it?

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Why don't people care about preventing cancer as much as "curing" it?
Because sometimes there's nothing you can do. Some people get cancer spontaneously. The U.S., as well as the world as a whole, needs to put more focus on prevention rather than treatment, but ultimately the reason why people care about "curing" it is because the average person who isn't in the healthcare field doesn't think about cancer all that much, unless they or someone they know gets it. A focus on prevention is going to do fuck all at that point.

I get that everyone hates Biden, he's not my top choice either, investing more in cancer research is never a bad thing in my opinion.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Because sometimes there's nothing you can do. Some people get cancer spontaneously. The U.S., as well as the world as a whole, needs to put more focus on prevention rather than treatment, but ultimately the reason why people care about "curing" it is because the average person who isn't in the healthcare field doesn't think about cancer all that much, unless they or someone they know gets it. A focus on prevention is going to do fuck all at that point.

I get that everyone hates Biden, he's not my top choice either, investing more in cancer research is never a bad thing in my opinion.
Sometimes there's nothing you can do, which is why rich people like biden who typically stand against spending more money on new programs to help people are all of a sudden excited for a super improbable moonshot to spend a ton of money on

But there's also a lot of times where something could be done if people weren't so afraid of the fact that going to the doctor could leave you bankrupt. And that probably has a very high success rate for the dollar should we decide to spend money addressing that.

Dec 24, 2017
Listen, you've forced me to choose between my cancer and President Biden.

I'm Team Cancer.

I would keep my cancer, than have him as President.

Obviously, its easy to say, cancer's gonna get me before a cure comes out, so...I can be all loosey goosey about it.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
You're joking right?

Big Pharma loves the fact that Biden is ignoring the nutritional crisis orchestrated by food companies and wasting money on a "cure" that will never exist. Why don't people care about preventing cancer as much as "curing" it?
I don't really see the food company connection there, but big pharma knows Biden's going to take very good care of them any way he can. Very likely that "cure cancer" means a huge public spending spree on research, with the results of which being handed off via exclusive licence rights that private companies profit off of. Same as litterally all other public spending on medical research.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you elect me president I will cure the common cold. We'll hash out the details later.

Seriously though, if Biden wants to do something about cancer he should vote for Elizabeth Warren. More affordable health care = more people going to the doctor = cancers being found earlier = more people surviving cancer. Or we could roll the fucking dice on Diamond Joe curing it.

Last edited:

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
God I hate Biden.

Like, I get it. My mom died of cancer. I don't like cancer. Nobody likes cancer. But cancer is fundamentally incurable. We're getting better at preventing it, and we're developing better treatments for some of the thousands upon thousands of cancers out there, but it's not something that can ever be cured. You're better off trying to make an uncrashable car. So Biden is either lying or he doesn't know wtf he's talking about, and neither espouses any hope.

I'm just curious but do you by any chance have a source that can back this comment up? Because the medical researchers at Duke may have a bone to pick with you(and anyone else in this thread that thinks cancer will forever remain incurable).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just curious but do you by any chance have a source that can back this comment up? Because the medical researchers at Duke may have a bone to pick with you(and anyone else in this thread that thinks cancer will forever remain incurable).
Because cancer isn't a single disease it's hundreds. There's no one size fits all approach. Even within cancers affecting the same organs there's a huge variation, affecting which treatments are effective. Cancer isn't some invading pathogen, it's the host cells growing out of control so you have to kill the cancer cells without doing enough damage to kill the host. To cure cancer you have to detect it in the first place. Screening programs aren't perfect and false positives can cause more harm than good. Cancer may only present symptomatically in the late stages or when it's progressing too quickly to stop.

Curing cancer is a childish notion of a very complex problem. From that Saints Row 4 choice, ending world hunger is actually a far more achievable one.