• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, not 100% sure on this so feel free to correct me but hasn't their reputation been (apparently) irreparably damaged by a past alliance with a Tory government when they took the blame for bunch of bad policies? To me their case seems different from the center left one in the states.

Not really they did really well in the EU elections earlier this year.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
And what exactly do you win? Nothing will fundamentally change. I guess if I do vote Biden that's exactly what I'll get. Nothing!
No more children in cages, no more Trump and McConnell stacking the courts with Conservative judges, no more the federal government trying to destroy Obama Care, no more Muslim bans, no more Ajit Pai trying to destroy Net Neutrality.

You're right: nothing!

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No more children in cages, no more Trump and McConnell stacking the courts with Conservative judges, no more the federal government trying to destroy Obama Care, no more Muslim bans, no more Ajit Pai trying to destroy Net Neutrality.

Bipartisan Biden that gives the right whatever they want? And now we're going to act like Biden is going to be a champion on immigration when that was the most disgusting thing under the whole Obama administration. Yeah I stand by what I say. You'll get jack shit under a Biden presidency. But winning is all that matters so who cares?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't really matter what small, shittly incrementalism Biden achieves in his presidency. It will all be wiped out by 2025 when we're back to full GOP control of the government.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not really true, people only phrase it that way to make it sound as bad as possible.

A potential voter going from D to R is a two point swing. A potential D voter sitting home is a -1, only half as damaging as the first scenario. Also, someone can abstain from presidential voting or even choose 3rd party, while voting a bunch of Dems down ballot.

Yeah, it's still not good or ideal for Democrats, but mathematically it's not exactly the same as voting for Trump. And no, I'm not advocating any of this. Just a bit annoyed at hearing that statement parroted hundreds of times. We can be honest about stuff without the need to exaggerate.

Word. I usually think that strategy is actually counter-effective. Like if you have to shame arguably disaffected people into being structurally essential to your supposedly winning strategy out of a mere and utterly abstract political duty maybe that's actually an admission that you've already lost and this electoralism thing just isn't working out or needs to be fundamentally rethought and it's actually better to realize that sooner rather than later. Idk.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Word. I usually think that strategy is actually counter-effective. Like if you have to shame arguably disaffected people into being structurally essential to your supposedly winning strategy out of a mere and utterly abstract political duty maybe that's actually an admission that you've already lost and this electoralism thing just isn't working out or needs to be fundamentally rethought. Idk.

It certainly does seem like Dual Power is the only real solution.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Bipartisan Biden that gives the right whatever they want? And now we're going to act like Biden is going to be a champion on immigration when that was the most disgusting thing under the whole Obama administration. Yeah I stand by what I say. You'll get jack shit under a Biden presidency. But winning is all that matters so who cares?
So because Biden is running on a message of unification, which he smartly calculated is what the majority of the electorate (you know, outside the echo chamber) wants to hear, then that means he's going to give Republicans everything they want? How can you people be this naive?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter what small, shittly incrementalism Biden achieves in his presidency. It will all be wiped out by 2025 when we're back to full GOP control of the government.
Ah okay, so we might as well just concede the next election to the Republicans. Nevermind the fact that ending family separation, stopping Republicans from gutting Obamacare, and getting people like Betsy Devos and Ajit Pai out of the executive would result in very real and very tangible improvements in millions of people's lives.

And stopping Republicans from repealing Roe v. Wade and implementing ever restrictive laws against abortion? DON'T CARE! Full communism or bust!

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So because Biden is running on a message of unification, which he smartly calculated is what the majority of the electorate (you know, outside the echo chamber) wants to hear, then that means he's going to give Republicans everything they want? How can you people be this naive?
No I don't go by corny campaign slogans or messages. I go by their track record and policy.

You should do the same.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay, so we might as well just concede the next election to the Republicans. Nevermind the fact that ending family separation, stopping Republicans from gutting Obamacare, and getting people like Betsy Devos and Ajit Pai out of the executive would result in very real and very tangible improvements in millions of people's lives.

And stopping Republicans from repealing Roe v. Wade and implementing ever restrictive laws against abortion? DON'T CARE! Full communism or bust!

Obviously a decision between faster regression and slower regression favors the latter, but that's not a decision that anyone wants to have and I think it's natural or human to have a somewhat nihilistic reaction to it considering that under our current historical circumstances we actually need positive action and cutting out some of the rot and slowing the decay down a bit isn't nearly enough for people feeling a bit spooked by legitimate existential crisis imo, which maybe has a degree of inherent emotionality or drama to it (as it should) but that's also why I think if you can't really respond to that then you're not really speaking to their concerns but idk.

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Pick your poison. The political machine feeds off of chaos like it was design to do. The more chaos, the stronger the machine grows to shield the haves and keep the have nots fighting amongst one another.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

You know, maybe so honestly if the pick is Biden. A Biden win gets very little accomplished and just stems the bleeding. Without significant changes, the next president will be a Republican who will simply continue on the status quo. Its time we actually elect a Democrat who is going to fight 100% to change and fix these systems and not one who simply wants to stop what R's are doing.

That does not mean to not vote down ballot Democrats, and possibly still retake the Senate.. which will ultimately neuter Trump from doing anything meaningful.

Part of me thinks that it needs to get so bad, much worse then it currently is, for America to actually wake up and want significant change to what is a broken election system, a broken economic system, a broken immigration system, a broken health care system, etc. (What in America *isnt broken* and has been for decades at this point?)

Perhaps if Trump gets reelected and does the things you think he might (and odds are will do) it will be enough so that public support for massive changes to all of our broken system hits a critical mass point where both parties would be insane to block or hinder such legislation.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
You know, maybe so honestly if the pick is Biden. A Biden win gets very little accomplished and just stems the bleeding. Without significant changes, the next president will be a Republican who will simply continue on the status quo. Its time we actually elect a Democrat who is going to fight 100% to change and fix these systems and not one who simply wants to stop what R's are doing.

That does not mean to not vote down ballot Democrats, and possibly still retake the Senate.. which will ultimately neuter Trump from doing anything meaningful.

Part of me thinks that it needs to get so bad, much worse then it currently is, for America to actually wake up and want significant change to what is a broken election system, a broken economic system, a broken immigration system, a broken health care system, etc. (What in America *isnt broken* and has been for decades at this point?)

Perhaps if Trump gets reelected and does the things you think he might (and odds are will do) it will be enough so that public support for massive changes to all of our broken system hits a critical mass point where both parties would be insane to block or hinder such legislation.
Blow the whole system up and something better will arise from the ashes! When did I hear that before?

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Blow the whole system up and something better will arise from the ashes! When did I hear that before?

I mean, it worked did it not?

Look at what the R's have accomplished. They almost had a 3/4th state majority to enact radical constitutional changes. They held every branch of government. They held a majority of state legislatures. They made a single mistake.. electing Trump. If a normal R had been elected, there would have been no blue wave to wash away the gains and we would likely be discussing a constitutional convention to enact radical changes that would make the Koch brothers jizz all year.

This all stemmed originally from a rebellion inside of the Republican party, which led to the Tea Party. (even if it was funded via outside sources, those who voted for them felt that they needed people to just blow it all up)

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
No I don't go by corny campaign slogans or messages. I go by their track record and policy.

You should do the same.
Do any of you even remember the state that this country was in when Barack "I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman" Obama took office?

Look, I know engaging in revisionism of Obama's legacy is the cool thing to do nowadays--and in some respects, Obama *was* a big disappointment--but can we try to get a little perspective for where we are now with respect to certain issues compared to where we were just 10 years ago?

On Obama's first day in office,
  • Recreational marijuana is illegal in all 50 states.
  • The US had over 180,000 troops deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Same-sex marriage is recognized in just three states (Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Iowa).
  • Proposition 8, amending California's State Constitution to define marriage as the union between a man and a woman, passed just 2 months prior.
  • The Defense of Marriage Act is the law of the land.
  • Don't Ask, Don't Tell is the military's official policy on service by LGB individuals.
  • Just 17% of Americans identify as irreligious (as opposed to 26% in 2019).
  • 77% of Americans identified as Christian (in 2019, that number's down to 65%).
  • Keith Ellison is the first and sole Muslim congressman.
  • 220 detainees were held in Guantánamo Bay (down to 40 in 2019)
  • "Enhanced interrogation techniques" on Guantánamo Bay detainees and at other CIA black sites had not yet been disallowed.
  • 16.7% of all Americans did not have health insurance (down to 11% in 2019).
  • Incarceration rates in the US are the highest they've ever been.
I don't know how old some of you are, but back then, ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, closing Guantánamo Bay, putting and end to "enhanced interrogation techniques", legalizing gay marriage, and legalizing marijuana were *the* defining, headlining issues in left-wing politics. Did we make as much progress as we could have in all of these respects? Obviously not. But did we get to live through changes that many of us who were politically active in 2008 thought we wouldn't get to see in decades or even our lifetimes? That would be a resounding yes.

Which is to say, none of us can possibly know how much progress we might see for any of the headlining issues of today, even under a Biden presidency. And to say that no tangible progress has ever been made or could ever possibly be made even under a centrist Democrat is myopic, ignorant, and just plain insulting to all the people who for decades had fought like hell to see some of the progress that was made under Obama's presidency.

I mean, it worked did it not?

Look at what the R's have accomplished. They almost had a 3/4th state majority to enact radical constitutional changes. They held every branch of government. They held a majority of state legislatures. They made a single mistake.. electing Trump. If a normal R had been elected, there would have been no blue wave to wash away the gains and we would likely be discussing a constitutional convention to enact radical changes that would make the Koch brothers jizz all year.

This all stemmed originally from a rebellion inside of the Republican party, which led to the Tea Party. (even if it was funded via outside sources, those who voted for them felt that they needed people to just blow it all up)
Notice that at no point did the strategy involve ceding ground to the opposition party. The rise of the Tea Party coincided with one of the most disastrous midterm election losses for Democrats in modern history. Justice Democrats have had nowhere near the same success. What some of you are advocating for is to cede all levers of government over to the Republicans and hope and pray that when the pendulum swings in the other direction, it'll be enough to enact everything we want. Never mind the fact that it gets exponentially harder to reverse what the opposition party did the longer they're in power. The 2010 midterms is the reason we're even in this mess in the first place. It's unlikely that any election will ever be as consequential in terms of shifting power dynamics as 2010 was.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden already got banned by Harry Reid in the past for giving Republicans everything they want lol. It has been reported thrice that Obama does not want Joe to run. Biden will be a shit president but at least he's not Trump is the bar. We're at the "D+ is a passing grade bro!" stage.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Daily reminder that when Biden was asked why he should be trusted on immigration after the Obama era, he angrily told them to vote Trump

This man has had nothing but nice things to say about Republicans and his criticisms of Trump only go as deep as "he's a dick" or "he's an idiot". To act like Trump is the only person doing bad things and that Biden will fix everything is painfully naive

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Andrew Gillum won the democrat nomination for Governor of Florida while he polled 4th and was endorsed by Bernie Sanders. What let him to lose is the racist campaign DeSantis lead and both sides responded to the dog whistle. And Florida being part of the South, the racist voted for the racist.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Bernie was too much considering he lost.

And some of you Dems won't realize that the party might not be ready for a "political revolution". With every signal showing it (like Hilary's nomination).

We weren't in 2016, and we might not be 2020.

I wish it weren't true, but that's reality. The majority of black people have been telling you that for a while with their votes.
Bernie had no chance against Hillary since he was an unknown. With the bulk of the Democratic party, there was no need to look for anyone with Hillary around. Considering how the landscape has changed and many have adopted Bernie's policies, I would say the Democratic party has shown he's not too much or too far left.

Like most things in politics, name recognition dominates.

And old people fucking suck at voting.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I seriously hope that what Joe Biden's doing is all just an act in order to gain a lot of votes & then switch to being progressive once he's officially sworn in as President.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Andrew Gillum won the democrat nomination for Governor of Florida while he polled 4th and was endorsed by Bernie Sanders. What let him to lose is the racist campaign DeSantis lead and both sides responded to the dog whistle. And Florida being part of the South, the racist voted for the racist.
Gillum got less votes than Bill Nelson the "centrist" Democrat that many said lack the enthusiasm to excite the base party like Gillum. Gillum also make an odd choice for LT Governor that did not help him with any demographic, while De santis was smarter in his pick.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Gillum is another example that excite the base is not enough to win a highly contested election.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Gillum is another example that excite the base is not enough to win a highly contested election.

Wrong.

The single and only reason Gillum lost was the FBI investigating him. From DeSantis consistently hammering home that he was a corrupt mayor, to the damming commercials released when the hurricane hit, to a inside member of Gillum's campaign who seemed hell bent on ruining Gillum's career on election day... it was all over.

Its amazing these hot takes which have absolutely zero bearing on what actually happened.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a fucking stupid take.

Labour won the 2017 election in a landslide with the same radical policies, with the same unpopular leader.

the conservatives had the better catch phrase, the clearest message, «get it done», while labour have spent the last couple of years going from «we have to respect the popular vote» to «we need a better deal» to «we need a new referendum» etc

i hate brexit and the tories, but this victory was so painfully obviously coming
They were like 56 seats behind the tories in that election. The problem with the 2019 labour campaign was that messaging was too convoluted and the shine wore off of corbyn.