• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6f1a5514de1cf9306eb580c8654610f807644687.gif

tenor.gif

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Accelerationism is bad, and pretending that Clinton would be some middling "nothing" POTUS is just as dumb as advocating for accelerationism.

There are too many unknowns regarding a different outcome than 2016.

Does Clinton win with enough to get the Senate majority? If so then the judges wouldn't be an issue, but without the Senate Mitch would continue to block. Does the defeat of Trump turn the GOP into a dumpster fire of a party that is no longer viable?

How does 2018 play out? How bad are we looking in terms of losses in both House/Senate and state seats/governorships?

It's pointless to really think about this because there are too many unknowns on how this play this out.

If I had to guess, Republicans holding onto the Senate would result in them pulling the same shit with Hillary as they did with Obama, and it would work. Non-stop investigations into her e-mails, blocking her on everything, governments shutdowns, and maybe even impeachment. And 2018 was a horrible Senate map. Republicans gained 2 seats despite the blue wave. With President Hillary, Republicans would probably hold onto the House and have near to or an actual supermajority in the Senate.

Oct 25, 2017
No because Bernie's not going to be able to deliver the big changes without Senate majority which is probably not going to happen.

Even with a Senate Majority, the filibuster isn't likely to get nuked, and even if it does he won't be able to get 50 votes for single payer or massive immigration reform. He has some really unpopular positions while are going to be impossible to build coalitions over.

Oct 30, 2017
No.

Jimmy Dore is wrong. He argued this shit.
Trump has done damage to our institutions, the Presidency, our judiciary, and vulnerable populations.

Maybe Dems rest on their feet and aren't as engaged under an HRC presidency. Maybe.
Republicans being in power is never a better scenario.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
There's basically no reason to believe this. I think it's safe to assume a Clinton victory would've been held up in the Senate at every possible step - but there is absolutely zero reason to assume she'd eventually land on any of Trump's xenophobic policies.
not her, some one like trump eventually getting elected

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying this doesn't deserve to be discussed, but this is a really pointless hypothetical imo. Theres no way we could ever know how a Hillary presidency would have turned out but the only way she could have done worse than Trump is if she accidentally nuked America

Oct 27, 2017
Must be nice to sit around and philosophize about presidential terms like they're parts of a zero-sum game when Trump's policies have no impact in your life.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's not worth blurring the lines IMO, Trump is an icon of hate. I prefer not to hear any "necessary evil" logic. In 2016 on a old forum... I saw some fools say something like "Trump is an anvil, whereas Hilary will stab you in the back" to justify voting for Trump. Or we needs to challange the status quo, some people can't just say they support his racism, they're cowards.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone thinking that or even entertaining that seriously is an idiot

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is wrong with you. Children are dying in prison camps on US soil. Who knows how many needless deaths in the middle east. Civil rights have been set back decades and the supreme court is lost for a generation.

This shit is why people hate Bernie supporters.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. The amount of damage he has done will take so many years and presidencies to fix. Just the judiciary alone is super fucked.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Op, this is the opposite of a big brain question. Jesus. People have died, our environment is getting fucked, kids are in cages, families have been broken up forever, a shit ton of judges including two Supreme Court picks, and Trump is edging us towards World War III. NOTHING IS WORTH THAT.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
A Hillary first term would have guaranteed President Tom Cotton this year, let's be honest.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If anyone thinks this, then I honestly have a serious problem with them on every single conceivable level. You are worse for America than an average Trump supporter which I would have guessed was impossible.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
No. It'll take decades to undo some of the damage he's done (and that's only the stuff that can be undone). Accelerationism is fucking stupid. Always has been.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Worth it" would be impossible to measure until well after Bernie's terms end.

If the U.S. ends up with insane reforms that were extremely unlikely to happen under a theoretical Hilary government then...maybe? Bernie would have to make huge sweeping changes somehow, though.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Not saying this doesn't deserve to be discussed, but this is a really pointless hypothetical imo. Theres no way we could ever know how a Hillary presidency would have turned out
Better than Trump's presidency, that's for damn sure.

But I also hate this galaxy brain speculation. I mean if Bernie doesn't get the nomination, are people going to start with "well a second Trump term will be bad, but if it turns into AOC winning 2024, it will all be worth it"?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If anyone thinks this, then I honestly have a serious problem with them on every single conceivable level. You are worse for America than an average Trump supporter which I would have guessed was impossible.

Yeah...okay with children dying in cages, and all the other bullshit that happens...for their guy to get into the oval office.

How do you have a reasonable conversation when that is their stance.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
take it one MORE STEP

what if Bernie Sanders chooses Squirtle as VP

then in 2022 Bernie Sanders retires like the two popes thing

THEN A POKEMON IS PRESIDENT

did i blow your mind

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
No, it emboldened the worst toxic traits of the right. After winning the presidency, Trump legitimized that brand of right-wing thinking that will be around long after he is gone. I don't know if anyone else has the ability to wield the cult of personality like he does, but people will be aping his style for a long time.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
We have no idea how how good a president Bernie would be Hillary for that matter. We do know how shitty trump is so no it wouldn't be worth it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. He's done irreparable damage to the country, and the world at large. The reversing of climate change action and judiciary stacking alone are going to be disasters for the US.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No. I'm not going to tell the parents of the kids who have died in cages in completely unacceptable and avoidable circumstances that their suffering is somehow offset by a specific President.

But it'll be a nice silver lining.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Bernie, given his history of poor hiring, and loyalty to sycophants, will be another Carter.

I'd take a Hillary second term in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.