• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Thankfully modern training and strengthening is more prepared than it was even 10 or 15 years ago for most of these athletes. Look at what it has done for Steph Curry and his ankle issues and to keep Lebron virtually injury as he has moved into his later years.

Very true. But even with that these big men like Porzingis can't stay fit. We don't have an example of someone like Zion actually working out long term, I dont think, in basketball (of course I guess there hasnt been one). I mean what is his most natural athletic mirror, someone like Julius Peppers? Lebron is taller, leaner, and weighs less. Barkley and LJ were both 30 lbs lighter. Will be interesting to see and I certainly hope for the best. I enjoy watching him in college more than anyone I can remember that wasn't on "my" team.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
A sprain could be a torn ligament though.

Not trying to be combative, just premature to say one way or another.
And there's different grades of a sprain, ranging from microscopic tears (grade I) to overt tears (grade III), that are, again, usually obvious on physical exam in terms of the ability of the knee joint to support your weight. If they're saying that he has a "mild knee sprain" and that the knee is "stable", then he most likely was able to bear weight on it when they examined him after the injury, which is a good sign leading into the MRI. The specificity and sensitivity of these physical exam tests are not 100% (hence part of the reason for the MRI), but they do exist for a reason.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
As someone currently dealing with an MCL injury I wish him the best. Such an obnoxious injury. It's a pain in the ass to find a brace that doesn't put excess pressure on that area. Ultimately, I had to settle for just compression. It's also frustrating when you think you've made strides (fine working out, no pain resting) just to get up, take a few steps, and feel like your knee is going to explode again.

Sucks but as a Syracuse fan the timing couldn't be better.

'Cuse fan here. This post is gross.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Very true. But even with that these big men like Porzingis can't stay fit. We don't have an example of someone like Zion actually working out long term, I dont think, in basketball (of course I guess there hasnt been one). I mean what is his most natural athletic mirror, someone like Julius Peppers? Lebron is taller, leaner, and weighs less. Barkley and LJ were both 30 lbs lighter. Will be interesting to see and I certainly hope for the best. I enjoy watching him in college more than anyone I can remember that wasn't on "my" team.
Yeah, Barkley was the only point of comparison I could really think of and that isn't a perfect one.

I've always thought there was more risk in the KP or Yao Ming types of freakishly tall big men than with heavier guys, but I guess we will find out with Zion.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nike just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Duke culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in UNC where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over at Duke, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Duke fans, after seeing this, is not going to want to purchase Nike for sneakers, nor will they purchase any of Nike's apparel. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nike has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nike, publicly apologize and cancel the contract with Zion or you can kiss your business goodbye.