• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which film was more disappointing?

• Suicide Squad

Votes: 212 44.9%
  • Thor: Love and Thunder

Votes: 260 55.1%

• Total voters

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love and Thunder was the 4th Thor film, btw (at the time of this post, the title says Thor 3).

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Thor 4*, and its that movie easily. Ragnarok was a very popular film and they did a follow up with the same director. Suicide Squad had no reason to be hyped.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I presume you mean Thor 4, but either way Suicide Squad is the worse film, but it was obvious this was going to be the case from the jump.

I vote for Thor: The Dark World.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
sounds crazy but I like SS more than TLT at this point. I've seen both a few times and while neither is "good", I'd watch SS again no problem. I'll likely never revisit TLT.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
in hindsight idk how people got hyped after all the behind the scenes crap going on with SS

Oct 29, 2017
Ragnarok was pretty good fun, so Love & Thunder was more disappointing, because I expected another fun film but also probably better overall than the first Suicide Squad, which I had fuck all expectations about. It's hard to disassociate the trailers from the general feelings I had around the films pre-release.

So... Thor? Thor.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Suicide Squad was not good. It was dumb trash but it's still watchable. Love and Thunder was groanworthily bad at places. Overall I think Suicide Squad is a generally worse movie but Thor 4 hits lower lows.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
It's Thor. I never understood the hype about Suicide Squad, at that point WB had already released two terrible movies from the same director.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I didn't see the Suicide Squad trailer until after I saw the movie, where as I had time to think Thor 4 may be good.

So Thor, despite SS being a MUUUUUUUUCH worse movie.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The DC cinematic universe has been shit and DAMAGED joker was a pretty big red flag from early one, even if some actors (like waller and harley) seems to be doing cool stuff and the trailer is well edited.

Thor is the sequel of an awesome movie made by the same people in a time that we still had some hope left for the MCU and the news surrounding the movie (like Bale as the god butcher, portman coming back) all feel positive.

So yeah, while Suicide Squad is BY FAR the worst movie, the biggest dissapointment was Thor

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Suicide Squad is a much worse film, so I voted for that, but it could be argued that Thor 4 is the bigger disappointment simply because there was ample reason to expect it to be good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Suicide Squad was obviously the much worse movie but it always looked bad. People were hyped for L&T after Ragnarok and they were let down by it.

That being said, I think it's a good movie and it has one of my favorite MCU final acts. It got serious when it needed to, which was a problem I had with Ragnarok.

Though Ragnarok is still the overall better film.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Suicide Squad, the trailer was a bit of a "this might actually not suck" moment, after the info we had of damaged Joker and just being a DCEU movie, so when the movie sucked, yeah, okay, figures.

Thor 4 isn't that bad, but everyone was expecting greatness, because 3 was great, Thor was coming from a very strong story with the Avengers movies, and the director seemed to be Midas.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Love and Thunder was more disappointing, but Suicide Squad was worse. Both are films I'll happily never watch again

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Thor L&T so Suicide Squad easy. I feel like even if I as someone that was disappointed in Thor, it would not come close to the gulf between the Suicide Squad trailer and final film. The only thing that comes close for me personally would be something like Phantom Menace.

in hindsight idk how people got hyped after all the behind the scenes crap going on with SS
That's because of hindsight. Most of the behind the scenes clusterfuck going on wasn't known until after release (or at least didn't penetrate beyond the most online people) and people started asking "How did this happen?".

Oct 29, 2017
USA
As everyone has already said, Thor: L&T had a bigger fall from grace. It's still a better film, but not by as much as it should have been.

Suicide Squad did give us a new blueprint for Harley Quinn for better or worse. But it also gave us the worst live Joker so it's still a net loss.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Thor.

Suicide Squad just fell into the general disappointing comic book bucket.

Thor was sub-catwoman or Electra which I wasn't expecting.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Suicide Squad. The movie never really look good but I was never expecting it to be as bad as it was.
Now I'm disappointed the Thread title is not a joke about for Forgettable Thor 2 is.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Suicide Squad looked bad from the first trailer and the movie was slightly better than I expected. Thor 4 was supposed to be good and was very bad. Kind of a no contest based on the "trailer" angle of the question. I'd probably pick Thor 4 as the worse movie between the two though since SS was kind of standalone and had no real expectations going into it. Leto Joker makes it a tough call though even if he is barely in it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Thor L&T is saved only by its last act and having a great portrayal of Gorr The God Butcher by Christian Bale. Otherwise, it's one of the few MCU movies that I refuse to rewatch.

SS was so bad outside of Harley that it made me angry to sit through. And it started with Leto's Joker being so cringe. I like to pretend that it doesn't exist and the 2021 film is the only Suicide Squad.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I feel like people forget, but there was a point in time after SS trailer drop that people convinced themselves it might actually be a good movie. At the time people actually liked the Leto cackle because the trailer masked what an actual cluster fuck the final cut of the movie was going to be.

So yeah I have to vote for SS based on OP's actual premise.

-----

Yeah for reference this was the original trailer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

And the one in the OP was the redebut after it got hit with delays. So yeah, people were convinced at the time that the movie had actually been salvaged. lol

Last edited:

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Love and thunder, while not great, isn't absolutely terrible, it's more that it's disappointing.

The first suicide squad was just trash. I remember my friend went to the bathroom and asked what he missed and all I could say was he missed his chance to not come back in.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I never watched Thor and I don't actively recall watching the Suicide Squad trailer so, eh?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Suicide Squad had one good trailer, in fact the trailer was so good it ended up ruining the movie cause the studio panicked and started changing everything to make the final product more like that trailer.

Ragnarok was garbage and L&T was good, neither of which needed a copy paste samey spoiler filled Disney trailer to get that across for me

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I had no high expectations for a DC movie based on the previous offerings.

Thor Ragnarok was amazing, to go to the terrible (obviously my own opinion) Love and Thunder was quite the shock

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
I definitely remember people liking the Suicide Squad trailer a good amount and it had a good marketing push, even with the ridiculed Joker design. Not to mention the fact Warner Bros infamously had them edit the movie to make it more like the trailer, so clearly they felt there was positive feedback. I think the gap in entertainment between the trailer and the film itself is way wider for Suicide Squad, which is probably the worst film in an entire cinematic universe of duds.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Suicide Squad always looked various degrees of bad, Love and Thunder after Ragnarok was something I didn't expect to be as bad at all.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people forget, but there was a point in time after SS trailer drop that people convinced themselves it might actually be a good movie. At the time people actually liked the Leto cackle because the trailer masked what an actual cluster fuck the final cut of the movie was going to be.

So yeah I have to vote for SS based on OP's actual premise.
Exactly. The trailer was SO well received that it contributed to the cluster fuck, because the studio decided they needed to pivot the movie to be more like the trailer after BvS bombed critically, and literally gave the trailer studio a pass at the edit.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Suicide Squad’s’ Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

The upheaval like that behind Warner? Bros.' DC team-up is becoming a staple of studio franchise filmmaking.
A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.
Really the only negative feedback I remember from the original trailer online was Leto's Joker, but it was such a small tease and easy to ignore after the similar negative online reaction to the casting and first looks of Ledger's Joker.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crap now I'm hyped for Suicide Squad again.

Both were let downs. I felt that Thor 4 got too silly in the final act.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Thor 4 easy. Genuinely made me no longer care about Thor films in the MCU going forward. More power to you if you liked it, I'm good.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Suicide Squad looked goofy and was a DC film. I was not expecting much.

Thor I was expecting an awesome followup to Ragnarok. I was super bummed with it.

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
Suicide Squad always looked terrible and the DCEU was a trainwreck already, Thor 4 had me excited and followed a good third film. So Thor.

But SS is obviously a way worse film, at least to me it is.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thor Love and Thunder was my most disappointing movie and made me actively dislike Watiti.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Thor 4 was the biggest disappointment because Suicide Squad looked like it would be shit from the jump. Thor 4 had the cast, writer, and director from the amazing Thor 3 on board, and was doing the God Butcher storyline. It should've been good.