• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This caught my eye after seeing it mentioned on NintendoLife:

Steam Page: Here

Info:

Enter the biggest handcrafted open world of all time, fifty times larger than Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall! Explore three million square miles of uncharted terrain from Roman Damascus to Three Kingdoms China in an exploration RPG that transports you onto the Ancient Silk Road of 200AD as an intrepid traveller or a ruthless conqueror.

Can you puzzle out the secrets of the four distinct challenges await you in Silk?

• Explore the vast expanse of the Silk Road in an epic journey across dangerous wilderness as The Traveller.
  • Overthrow Rome's greatest enemy, the powerful Parthian Empire, as The Rebel.
  • Master the art of raiding to capture the fortunes of rival kingdoms as The Warlord.
  • Carve out a trading empire between the brutal battlegrounds of the Silk Road as The Noble.

One colossal world, four unique challenges. Do you have what it takes to master Silk?

• Level up any seven of the thousands of Advisors in the game as you hire your perfect party, each of which unlocks hundreds of unique choices in the world
  • Battle, Trade, or Explore: play the game your way as you amass a well-provisioned caravan or build your own renegade army
  • Discover the lost genre of tile-based RPGs (Eye of the Beholder, The Bard's Tale) remastered for the twenty first century

Screenshots:

ss_72cfc2cf75100eb3e1d2a14cf650037a6ed88f57.jpg

ss_527fea3ee52956a3938179155fd830738f7ab8f1.1920x1080.jpg

A Dev Even Showed A Map on Steam Discussions:

6a00d83452030269e20240a475c455200c-pi

Apparently it was Kickstarted In March with £15,000.

Just thought it might perk someone's interest.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you want to sink time and energy exploring a world that big when it's so hideous?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like an amazing labor of dedication and love but the art direction definitely needed some more polish.

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why would you want to sink time and energy exploring a world that big when it's so hideous?

Well it is inspired by The Lords of Midnight, which had 4,000 Screens (32,000 views though as you could rotate around on each area in 8 directions it seems):

I get what you mean though, the artstyle isn't as good as it could be for a game you have to look at for hours.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
it looks quaint, but i kind of like that honestly. arena/daggerfall are hard to go back to but i love the idea that someone is carrying that torch, and the historical setting is appealing.

christ

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's out now. Did anyone pick it up and can give some impressions?

I've been playing it a bunch this week, really enjoying the concept despite some problems with the execution. The game can feel quite aimless, there's very little in the way of tutorial and you will have to figure most things out for yourself. Also, the world is very sparse in places, the lack of ambient music doesn't help and it's strange that you don't run into other caravans/traders also travelling the silk road. The basic gameplay is all about managing resources and trading, combat is a bit of an afterthought and doesn't offer much challenge on the easier difficulties, or once you figure out how to properly protect your caravan. There's also a basic morale system, where you can raise the spirits of your caravan by making good trades, winning in combat, completing tasks or performing religious rites at the various shrines and temples you will find (assuming you have a ritegiver familiar with the rites of the region). Lastly, you have to manage your reputation amongst the world's five main factions (Romans, Parthians, Kushan, Han & Nomads), but this system only really comes into play on the more combat-orientated difficulty levels.

It feels like there are a lot of missed opportunities with this game, it could be so much deeper - but it's actually designed to be quite a short experience, in spite of the game world's size. Returning to Antioch after successfully traversing the silk road is the sole victory condition, although afterwards you can continue to play in the world as long as you like (but by that point money is no object, assuming your trip was a success!). The main draw for me is the exploration, and the game does do a great job of communicating the enormity of the task at hand, while the narrated historical facts that play at most settlements add some welcome context but, again, it feels like there could be more in that regard.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
This is the worst post I've read here in a while.
1) You know - Subjectivity, blah blah, whatever. I find the portrait art cool and the game art serviceable, it's quite nice-looking in motion IMO.
2) Not all games need to prioritize visuals. With the right text, mechanics etc you can more than make up for whatever you may be lacking visually.
3) The concept sounds cool as heck, and I think focusing on content to create a huge game-world is very much fine.
4) Anyone who lived in the 90's played way harsher looking games than this.

Deleted member 290

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The appearance is like the least important aspect of the game. It's functional, nothing more, and if you need something pretty and shiny to look at in order to give the game a shot, then I doubt the game is for you.

Personally, the draw for me was the massive open world, historical setting and detail and a working trade economy. I'd probably have bought it no matter what it looked like!

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I've been playing it a bunch this week, really enjoying the concept despite some problems with the execution. The game can feel quite aimless, there's very little in the way of tutorial and you will have to figure most things out for yourself. Also, the world is very sparse in places, the lack of ambient music doesn't help and it's strange that you don't run into other caravans/traders also travelling the silk road. The basic gameplay is all about managing resources and trading, combat is a bit of an afterthought and doesn't offer much challenge on the easier difficulties, or once you figure out how to properly protect your caravan. There's also a basic morale system, where you can raise the spirits of your caravan by making good trades, winning in combat, completing tasks or performing religious rites at the various shrines and temples you will find (assuming you have a ritegiver familiar with the rites of the region). Lastly, you have to manage your reputation amongst the world's five main factions (Romans, Parthians, Kushan, Han & Nomads), but this system only really comes into play on the more combat-orientated difficulty levels.

It feels like there are a lot of missed opportunities with this game, it could be so much deeper - but it's actually designed to be quite a short experience, in spite of the game world's size. Returning to Antioch after successfully traversing the silk road is the sole victory condition, although afterwards you can continue to play in the world as long as you like (but by that point money is no object, assuming your trip was a success!). The main draw for me is the exploration, and the game does do a great job of communicating the enormity of the task at hand, while the narrated historical facts that play at most settlements add some welcome context but, again, it feels like there could be more in that regard.

Thanks!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
my issue is not even how the world looks, i find it quite charming actually
my issue is actually... the sky? as in, its just a single colour that keeps changing every step? i dont know if they done that in the preview to show some sort of "timelapse" or if its like that in the game and its kinda weird to be honest.

Deleted member 290

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my issue is not even how the world looks, i find it quite charming actually
my issue is actually... the sky? as in, its just a single colour that keeps changing every step? i dont know if they done that in the preview to show some sort of "timelapse" or if its like that in the game and its kinda weird to be honest.

Yeah, it's the day/night cycle - definitely could be a bit more detailed, but it's just to indicate how close you are to sunset and having to make camp. Depending on how burdened the caravan is and what sort of mounts you're using/how much livestock you have in tow, the number of moves you can make before sunset will change.