• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which remaster was the biggest surprise absence this gen

• Mass Effect Trilogy

• Killzone Trilogy

• Super Mario 3D World

• Zelda WW & TP HD

• Resistance Trilogy

• Infamous & Infamous 2

• Dead Space Trilogy

Results are only viewable after voting.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
What goes around comes around. Publishers love to sell us the same game repeatedly, and with enough HD / 4K shellac on there, we're happy to oblige them.

Which games were the most glaring omissions for remasters or rereleases of remasters this gen?

I will edit this post to include a poll - candidates will include:

Mass Effect Trilogy
Dead Space Trilogy
Killzone Trilogy
Resistance Trilogy
Super Mario 3D World
Twilight Princess & Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nier-review-nier-gestalt-replicant.png

Both versions fully translated in English

Bring the real Nier back home

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect Trilogy for sure. When i found out it didn't exist I had to even double check to see it was indeed true it wasn't available.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4
Mass Effect
Morrowind
Oblivion
Wind Waker
KOTOR
Risen
GTA: Vice City
GTA: San Andreas

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Had to leave out some heavy hitters from the poll, like Nier, Demon's Souls, Portal & 2, Pikmin 3.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Final Fantasy 13, 13-2 & Lightning Returns didn't get one.
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
-Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Older series-
-Ape Escape 1-3 is long overdue.
-All the Shin Megami Tensei & Persona games released on the PS2, PSP, DS, 3DS & Vita
-Onimusha 2-4
-Viewtiful Joe 1&2
-Mega Man Legends 1, 2 & Tron Bonne

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'm not as surprised about Mass Effect since we got a new one. But Dead Space...Now that shit makes no sense.

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Metroid Prime Trilogy not being a real thing is criminal.

Honorable Mention
Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1+2

Until I draw my last breath, I stand by Skyward Sword needing a significant rework structurally and mechanically to ever be a good game, rather than an alright one with a good soundtrack and dungeons.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Only a single person mentioned MGS? That by far is the biggest one imo. Three classic games that were even upgraded last gen. And yet nothing this gen. It's way bigger than 3D World, especially with it being hinted at by insiders for weeks now.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Skyward Sword. Next year is its 10th anniversary so the timing is right for it to happen considering previous remasters in the series. Hopefully it does happen since I'm dying to replay it.

Oct 28, 2017
Until I draw my last breath, I stand by Skyward Sword needing a significant rework structurally and mechanically to ever be a good game, rather than an alright one with a good soundtrack and dungeons.

It is the only Zelda game I only played once and never touched again so there may be soemthing to what you say. I thought is was just an ok Zelda game but that means it's an 8.5 on the regular game scale.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls. Maybe the Mass Effect Trilogy. But I can see EA releasing the remasters and still charging extra for all the DLC separately so I wouldn't buy it.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Mass Effect trilogy. It nice they are 360 BC, but due to the fact the dlcs never go on sale, it hard to play them when it cost almost the cost of a new game for all the dlcs, just for 2. And then you have to do the same with 3.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of which remaster I would like, EA not doing a Mass Effect trilogy remaster was shocking to me.

1. It's EA.

2. It's the Mass Effect trilogy, it would sell.

3. They don't even have to do that much of an improvement. Just focus on 1080p/4K/60FPS and people would be happy.

In a perfect world they would pay the dev who worked on the Mass Effect texture mods to port them to consoles.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Skyward Sword is better than Breath of the Wild, it deserves a remaster.

Of the listed options, Mass Effect easily. Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy deserve a spot on there too.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
As much as I'm meh on the first game, I'm honestly surprised we didn't get an FF XIII lightning collection.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Without a doubt Mass Effect trilogy. An iconic series of the 7th gen and an absolute testament to the power of story and world building within a game. It's one of the games that would definitely benefit greatly from a remaster and improved graphics and even gameplay elements. Plus all the DLC added.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys live in a universe where WW and TP remasters weren't released this gen?

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
It's Mass Effect no question. The one game I was looking forward to the most however was Max Payne 3. That would've been the easiest shit in the world to port over and they didn't.

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Skyward Sword is better than Breath of the Wild, it deserves a remaster.

Of the listed options, Mass Effect easily. Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy deserve a spot on there too.

Breath of the Wild definitely felt like it did not need two bosses repeated 6 times, three biomes total, an empty overworld, and tadtones.