• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which remaster was the biggest surprise absence this gen

• Mass Effect Trilogy

• Killzone Trilogy

• Super Mario 3D World

• Zelda WW & TP HD

• Resistance Trilogy

• Infamous & Infamous 2

• Dead Space Trilogy

Results are only viewable after voting.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy.

It's already out on Nvidia shield and it's the same chip as switch.

Gimme the GOAT platformer freed from its waggle already!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The fact that Konami is just sitting on the Fox Engine after blowing so much money on developing it, without remastering prior MGS games, while MGS 4 is stuck on the PS3 is beyond baffling.

Port the 1-4 collection on modern platforms and PC and rake in the cash. Seems like a bloody no-brainer.

May 21, 2018
I am still surprised they never did a Banjo Kazooie remaster. It feels like that would print money.

Both Banjo games are playable in HD on Xbox One/X (through backward compatibility) already.

I have no idea why they don't remaster their games (except for Burnout Paradise). Normally EA loves easy money and their legacy catalogue is pretty big. They could even use these games to bolster EA Access or sell them to Gamepass/PSNow/PS + etc.

The Mass Effect games are already Backward compatible with XB1/X. They don't even have to be re-released in order to go into Gamepass. PSnow? That service is still currently streaming ps3 games afaik, so no need to re-release again just to add those existing ps 3 versions to that either. As for EA Access, the service has had the ME trilogy playable on it for years.

The Mass Effect series is also already playable on PC.

Just about all of this can also be said for the Dead Space series.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
I want Quintet, Ivalice and Ogre collections or rereleases like nothing else. Dream scenarios:

Collection of Gaia (Actraiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma): M2 made emulated collection

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions: digital port of PSP/mobile version

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together: digital port of PSP remake

Vagrant Story Remastered: digital remaster of PS1 original

I'd also like to see Treasure bring all their last gen XBLA stuff to current consoles/PC (Radiant Silvergun HD, Guardian Heroes HD, Bangai-O HD Missile Fury). Do a kickstarter if they have to.

And speaking of Kickstarters, I really want to see Mistwalker go the Platinum route and do campaigns for modern releases of The Last Story, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. Maybe partner with Marvelous to make them happen (and resurrect Cry On in the process).

It's worth mentioning that Treasure's XBLA games are playable on Xbox One/X (via backward compatibility).

As for Mistwalker, I'm not sure if they own the IP to BD and LO (it's likely that Microsoft does). Those are also already playable on XB1/X.

Last edited:

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I voted for Super Mario 3D World, even if I think a remaster of it is still very likely. The game would be such an obvious choice to fill in lean spots in the Switch's release schedule, it only requires minimal changes to be ported (unlike the Mario Galaxy games), and 3D World remains a Wii U exclusive and a lot of Switch gamers would buy it. At this point, I'm wondering why Nintendo hasn't already ported it: are they making major updates or upgrades? Are they skipping it and making a sequel? Have they simply been focusing on their many other ports first and are waiting for a more optimal time to release it? Or are they really just not going to port it?

As for Mass Effect, I'm a bit surprised...but not all that surprised. It is owned by EA, for one thing (can't trust them to do anything right), and the franchise recently suffered a big hit from Andromeda (in addition to the pushback they got from the Mass Effect 3 ending). Perhaps EA will announce a remaster alongside an announcement for a new Mass Effect game to build up hype for Mass Effect 5 and help people to forget about Andromeda. I don't think the circumstances are currently that pressing for a Mass Effect remaster, anyway. All the games can be purchased on Steam, so it's not like the games are trapped on outdated consoles like 3D World is, and we don't have a new Mass Effect game announced yet, like I mentioned.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Metroid supersedes everything, including Mass Effect.

At least ME is still in mindshare just because of Andromeda. We have not seen a console-based Metroid in two gaming generations!!!

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Very odd to see TP, World, and Wind Waker on this poll. They all are HD. Not available on Switch, sure, but Wii U isn't some old console, it actually is the same generation as PS4 and One.

Now Galaxy 1 + 2 and MP Trilogy. Those are really surprisingly missing. They would be awesome remasters.

May 21, 2018
The fact that Konami is just sitting on the Fox Engine after blowing so much money on developing it, without remastering prior MGS games, while MGS 4 is stuck on the PS3 is beyond baffling.

Port the 1-4 collection on modern platforms and PC and rake in the cash. Seems like a bloody no-brainer.

Yes, Metal Gear Solid 4 surely does fit the thread criteria. MGS4 was once a massively popular game (in its day), critically acclaimed (whether one agrees with that being the case or not) and it had some sales figures under it's belt to go along with all of this... and it's not currently playable anywhere else.

Nearly the same can be said for other games like the Ratchet & Clank series, Resistance, Killzones, and Demon's Souls.

I have a feeling Metroid Prime Trilogy and 3D World will be appearing eventually (so they aren't mentioned).

My poll choice would've been Super Mario 3D World, solely because of Nintendo's current strategy with Wii U games... but there's no confirmation that it won't be happening. Would be shocking if that game doesn't show up again soon. I think it will.

Games like Super Mario Galaxy (and its sequel) wouldn't be a surprise to see eventually.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
No Ninja Gaiden collection.

Give me Black and 2 with the graphics of Sigma and Sigma 2 (With the gore of the original), and Razor's Edge.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Both Banjo games are playable in HD on Xbox One/X (through backward compatibility) already.

The Mass Effect games are already Backward compatible with XB1/X. They don't even have to be re-released in order to go into Gamepass. PSnow? That service is still currently streaming ps3 games afaik, so no need to re-release again just to add those existing ps 3 versions to that either. As for EA Access, the service has had the ME trilogy playable on it for years.

The Mass Effect series is also already playable on PC.

Just about all of this can also be said for the Dead Space series.
BC isn't a replacement for a proper remaster. The games look and run awful.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I do wonder if we'll ever see the Mass Effect trilogy remaster, seems it's been rumored for years. But I guess those rumors can be totally based on hopes and dreams, and not on reality.

Though if I were BioWare I would be terrified of doing a remaster of their most requested series. Their previous titles Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda caused a lot of bad will, and if they screwed up the remaster it would probably be the final nail in the coffin for many of their fans. At the same time it's a way to get back a lot of much-needed good will, if they manage to do it properly.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I would most like to see Resistance, but I think the biggest "This is so obvious why hasn't it happened yet?!" is Mass Effect. I reckon it would be good to sell 2-3 million copies easily.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
No option for valve games? Portal 2, Half Life, Left 4 dead. Not a single remasted game form Valve this generation.

Valve and EA games are the main gap in the current gen line up, and its a damn shame considering Mass Effect 2 and Portal 2 were 2 of the best games of last gen.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I guess it's safe to assume that if any other company had put out the Mass Effect trilogy it would have been a no brainer to update it for current gen.....but of course it's fuckin EA.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
No option for valve games? Portal 2, Half Life, Left 4 dead. Not a single remasted game form Valve this generation.

Valve and EA games are the main gap in the current gen line up, and its a damn shame considering Mass Effect 2 and Portal 2 were 2 of the best games of last gen.
Valve is understandable, b/c Steam (and PC in general) is their bread & butter, and all their games are still perfectly playable on PC.

EA is just... yeah. It's EA.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
What goes around comes around. Publishers love to sell us the same game repeatedly, and with enough HD / 4K shellac on there, we're happy to oblige them.

Which games were the most glaring omissions for remasters or rereleases of remasters this gen?

I will edit this post to include a poll - candidates will include:

Mass Effect Trilogy
Dead Space Trilogy
Killzone Trilogy
Resistance Trilogy
Super Mario 3D World
Twilight Princess & Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD is missing from that list.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
It's not quite a remaster, but XIII looks astonishing on the X1X. Like, jaw-dropping.
I feel like even the original graphics still hold up really well too. Which makes it confusing why it hasn't happened yet, there's not too much improving that really needs doing visually and with the ten year anniversary passing it would've been the perfect time :(

Granted I know most people have hoped if a rerelease does happen that it would be bigger and have updates in the gameplay too, so maybe that's why. Still, hope it's not too late, or that it could at least get put on Switch sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect for sure, but I would've loved a FFXIII Trilogy remaster. It's the only mainline FF I haven't played.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Mass Effect, Metroid Prime, Dead Space in that order. Demon's Souls is probably right after those.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Condemned Criminal Origins + Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PC version)
Dante's Inferno (this time released on PC too)
Singularity
STALKER games with Metro Exodus graphics

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Wow ME on the lead. It's funny how ME is in the mind of era right now. I am currently watching Giant Bomb's Mass Alex since the last month and appreciating their playthrough with the high resolution textures. It looks so good with the HD textures.

I thought EA will cash in on the remaster train someday since ME is so popular last gen. One possible reason I can think of out of many others is due to ME running on unreal engine for 2 games and the original on an inhouse Bioware engine(If I am not mistaken). They may have wanted ME remaster to run on/be converted to Frostbite but the scope is too large (not to mention their teams' reported struggle with the engine) and nobody wants to do it. So far, I think the only remaster they have this generation is burnout paradise.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would have bought Fallout 3/NV remasters that made the games playable. I'm surprised Bethesda didn't do it.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Valve is understandable, b/c Steam (and PC in general) is their bread & butter, and all their games are still perfectly playable on PC.

EA is just... yeah. It's EA.

Not understandable because the majority of remasters this gen were outsourced. Its stupidity on both fronts. Literal free money just left out.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
ME is the biggest surprise, but only in the most cynical of ways because it's the most cynical choice.

Still expecting the Nintendo games mentioned to get ports to Switch.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
The Sonic Boost Trilogy HD (Unleashed, Colors, Generations)

A lack of a Colors port in particular is baffling since the game reviewed well but has never been ported to anything.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Motor Storm Trilogy

Viewtiful Joe 1&2 HD

Bionic Commando Trilogy (2009, Re-Armed, Re-Armed 2)

And the Mario Galaxy games not getting a port makes ZERO sense.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Not understandable because the majority of remasters this gen were outsourced. Its stupidity on both fronts. Literal free money just left out.
Valve isn't a traditional company. There's not a team of profit-driven managers in charge of everything that would make an executive decision to commission an outsourcing of a remaster.

Unless enough people at Valve want to do something, it won't get done. That can be annoying, but them's the breaks.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
At least you can play Mass Effect and Dead Space on a PC at whatever resolution and framerate (going past 60 might have issues, don't @ me) you want. It's stuff like Resistance and inFamous that make me more said. Resistance 3 especially. That game had a lot of ambition that seemed seriously held back by the PS3.