• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these instances from third parties hurt Nintendo and its fans the most.

• EA releasing Mass Effect Trilogy the same time as Mass Effect 3 for WiiU

Votes: 174 10.7%
  • Ubisoft delays Rayman Legends for simultaneous release.

Votes: 100 6.2%
  • Capcom announces Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 a mere months before Gamecube release.

Votes: 343 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 51 3.1%
  • Final Fantasy jumps to PlayStation

Votes: 957 58.9%

• Total voters
Added Final Fantasy jumps to PlayStation to the poll.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
Third party relations for Nintendo has been rough ever since the days of Super Nintendo. What third party slight has been the hardest on Nintendo and its fans.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bruh, the Capcom Five betrayal is easily the biggest one.

Capcom and Ninty relations haven't been the same since, hell even MH bounced and is now doing gangbusters elsewhere. The MH:W announcement for PS4/XBO/PC had me cackling like a fool after months of insistence that the western-focused MH for the PS4 leak was fake. Even after the announcement you had people claiming it was a spin-off and that the true MH5 would be on the Switch :/

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Third party relations for Nintendo has been rough ever since the days of Super Nintendo. What third party slight has been the hardest on Nintendo and its fans.

Man, you went way back. The snark and obnoxiousness from series veterans in Monster Hunter World threads was hilarious.

I wouldn't actually consider it a "Slap", but they certainly did.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The capcom is the only one that counts as a slap. The other ones in your poll just fucked up their own sales =P

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest slap? Is the self inflicted one of going with Phillips to create. CD add on.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really care about the re4 announcement I still got it day 1. The mass effect release was just dumb. Who would buy mass effect 3 on Wii U skipping the first two games for $60 instead of an entire collection on the other system.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of these hurt Nintendo. They live and die by their hardware and how much it can capture the imaginations of consumers at this point.

As for fans, that's a good question. I am not Nintendo-only, so I'm not bothered by games missing most Nintendo consoles. I wonder what Nintendo-only consumers think about this.

FF7 going to Playstation.

This is a good answer, though I do wonder if Nintendo was already screwed by the use of carts for the N64 rather than discs.

Abicus

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The Mass Effect 3 thing can be seen in the 'unprecedented partnership' announcement during the unveiling of the Wii U.

Like, how can it even be justified launching a pretty maligned port at the same time the other consoles for the entire trilogy?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Mass Effect 3 thing can be seen in the 'unprecedented partnership' announcement during the unveiling of the Wii U.

Like, how can it even be justified launching a pretty maligned port at the same time the other consoles for the entire trilogy?
Not to mention the failure of ME3 on Wii U was cited quite a bit as to why they weren't putting other games on the platform

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Bruh, the Capcom Five betrayal is easily the biggest one.

Capcom and Ninty relations haven't been the same since, hell even MH bounced and is now doing gangbusters elsewhere. The MH:W announcement for PS4/XBO/PC had me cackling like a fool after months of insistence that the console MH leak was fake.
You can't blame Capcom it was between current gen consoles + PC and the Wii U successor

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Out of this list it's definitely RE4.

Actual answer is Nintendo themselves releasing a console called the Wii U.

Apr 21, 2018
The Rayman Legends thing was sort of a slap, because the game was done and some of the developers worked overtime over the holidays to get it done. It was a completely game delayed 8 months just to port it to other consoles and release simultaneously....the same month as GTAV.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Rayman's delay at a time Nintendo desperately needed quality exclusives was a major blow that the Wii U couldn't afford to take on the chin.

I still don't understand why they didn't just release it on Wii U first and then port it to the other systems.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing beats Ricitello taking stage, promising support but not giving any as a kick in the groins. If that EA guy on twitter were right, they never liked Nintendo in the first place anyway.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So any business decision that didn't go in favor of Nintendo is to be taken as a personal and intentional insult?

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That Mass Effect one was a giant slap as someone who's a huge Mass Effect fan.

Releasing 3 for $60 on Wii U while releasing the trilogy for the other platforms for the same price was tone deaf.

FFVII going from N64 to PS1 was pretty bad too.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
biggest slap to themselves was when nintendo decided that Wii Music is a product that should be shown at an E3 stage show and released as a full product.,

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The whole EA thing. Not having Madden and other sports games is a big deal and it's all traced back to the Wii U. It's a shame too because imo, ME3 was best on Wii U. But you can't beat the trilogy, even with those digital comic things to fill the gaps of the first 2 games.

Those others were blows for sure, but there is a HUGE market of people who solely play sports games and Nintendo doesn't have 80% of them (they have a castrated version of FIFA and NBA2K).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
From that list I feel like it's RE4 but in reality it was Sony taking damn near all their third party support in the PS1/N64 gen. It set then back for years.

They survived purely on their ability to create incredible software. Like sure, PS1 had bangers every week but 64 had game changers every couple of years.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Square going with Playstation for FFVII, supposedly bad mouthing Nintendo, and convincing others like Enix to also go with Playstation.

(From Matt Leone's excellent 500 Years Later: An Oral History of Final Fantasy VII)

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm sorry, but to those not saying the EA one:
Rayman wouldn't have made a huge impact on console sales.
RE4 still sold big on gamecube and is the better version.
FF7 was painful for them at the time but that has since been reconciled.
BUT,
EA still barely puts games on Nintendo machines.