• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched it. Pretty fantastic, that was the hardest I've laughed at standup in a long time.

The beginning was pretty rough. Especially the feminist part, and in particular the male feminist bit. I think it's partially a generational thing but I grew up being taught that feminism just meant that you believe men and women should be treated equally. It was a little weird hearing him say that male feminists are a recent thing, and saying that no true man can call himself a feminist just felt dumb. I think part of the problem is he's really not good at articulating himself. At the end of the bit you realize what he means better, like when he says a male feminist is like a white person making a show of being part of the civil rights movement. But even then I don't really get what he's saying exactly. You can support treating people equally even if you can't personally relate to their struggles. And he does mention that he empathizes with women, but I don't know, like I said, I really didn't get the point of that whole bit or what the joke was exactly.

It gets way better after that though. I wish he would have just cut the whole intro section out, it's the weakest part of the set and unlike Chapelle's special where he focuses on political correctness through his entire act, Burr never goes back to that topic.

I fucking lost it during the Stephen Hawking bit. The story about him and his wife watching the Elvis documentary was hilarious too.

"I don't know what the fuck is going on, but I think white women started it." Lol

The "You're sitting here in the Jacuzzi with me" line was gold too.

That whole section was just really awkward, personally. There were a few lines I found hilarious, but at the same time it felt really lame and easy to act like women have nothing at all to complain about.

Like when he mentioned later that he doesn't do black people vs white people humor because it's so easy, I just thought "The whole first part of your act was ripped from the comment section of a Joe Rogan video."

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I like how people came into this thread already upset about the non-existent but potential people being upset at them for liking this act by a comedian who jokes about people being upset at everything. good stuff.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bill Burr is amazing and I really don't understand how he hasn't blown his vocal chords out yet. A+ special

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
"Right, still wearing me same jeans from primary school!" For whatever reason, his damn English accent cracks me the fuck up lol.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
ehh, I feel like most american comedy today is whining about not being able to be an asshole. Maybe it's the older generation of comics.

I did enjoy the second half when it was more self-aware and he was self-analyzing his life, and his anger problems.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I do think I'm getting tired of middle aged comedians complaining about sensitivity and political correctness. I'm open to the complaints, I don't think we have it all down pat and perfect on the left, but generally those moments come off as more bitter and out of touch than funny. Plus the way it sits when I hear it is like, I'm not at all at war with "believe women" or the concept of male feminists, so to have jokes that are premised on the idea that these things are inherently annoying makes me feel like I'm not sure I'm watching something cool. I don't want to watch conservatives talk about literally anything ever, so I tense up and I'm like "great, so how conservative is this asshole about to be?" And generally the punchlines just aren't worth that journey.

You can be as dark or as offensive as you want, I'm fine with it, but if you aren't making me laugh more than you're making me feel weird then it's just a big cringe.

When he pivoted away from #metoo it finally picked up. In the end, I enjoyed the special, but it's just getting old hearing that complaint. If only in the name of having fresh and original comedy, it's time to move on

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
ehh, I feel like most american comedy today is whining about not being able to be an asshole. Maybe it's the older generation of comics.

I did enjoy the second half when it was more self-aware and he was self-analyzing his life, and his anger problems.

It was funny (and really lame) watching this right after the new Chapelle special because both of them complain about how with the outrage culture these days you really have to watch what you say... then go on to say whatever they want.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It was funny (and really lame) watching this right after the new Chapelle special because of them complain about how with the outrage culture these days you really have to watch what you say... then go on to say whatever they want.

Yup. Not sure why any of them think "omg we're oppressed and cancelled!!!" is some kind of valid line of complaint when half the damn specials on Netflix are titled shit like "Trigger Warning!" and "Safe Space!" and spend the first third of their runtimes complaining about how stand-up comics aren't allowed to say stuff anymore. As they say that stuff. To huge laughs. On their personally-branded Netflix special.

That's not even punching down, it's just punching yourself.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Not sure why any of them think "omg we're oppressed and cancelled!!!" is some kind of valid line of complaint when half the damn specials on Netflix are titled shit like "Trigger Warning!" and "Safe Space!" and spend the first third of their runtimes complaining about how stand-up comics aren't allowed to say stuff anymore. As they say that stuff. To huge laughs. On their personally-branded Netflix special.

That's not even punching down, it's just punching yourself.

It gets the reactionaries going though. Especially people who have some sort of complex about being silenced. You can see it in this very thread even with posts like

Will users of this site be allowed to say they enjoyed it, or will they be banned on site like in the Chappelle thread?

When will the thread become a sensitive thread? Will there be an official announcement or thread mark?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
After thinking about the special a bit longer, I find it more sad than funny to be honest.

First of all, I know he plays a character (at least to a certain degree) but that character still talks about very real themes so I won't go the it's-all-a-joke route.

His jokes and deliveries in the second half are fantastic, but almost all of his struggles kinda trace back to how he feels/has been taught a real man should act and I know a lot of guys who are exactly like that. It's those guys that would probably gain the most from feminism and a rethinking of gender-roles and it makes me honestly sad that he misses the point of the concept so much.
I was even kinda expecting him to set up a final punch-line that maybe the feminists are not so wrong after all, at least in concept, when he envies the way his wife handles emotions better than him, but well.

It was a funny special, but in the end it makes me honestly sad to see fellow guys struggle so much because they are kinda trapped in their concept of manlyness. I think what gets me is that Bill, other than from other stand-ups I know that joke about this topic, actually depicts himself as suffering from it.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like it got better as it went on, my GF noped out in the first few minutes. I can't blame her, Bill was Burring pretty hard, maybe too hard.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The whole thing was amazing. I laughed to the point of tears multiple times. Bill is definitely my favorite comedian.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Oh Jesus. Love me some Bill Burr. Surprised he's popular on Era though. I figured this place would mostly hate the guy.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
After thinking about the special a bit longer, I find it more sad than funny to be honest.

First of all, I know he plays a character (at least to a certain degree) but that character still talks about very real themes so I won't go the it's-all-a-joke route.

His jokes and deliveries in the second half are fantastic, but almost all of his struggles kinda trace back to how he feels/has been taught a real man should act and I know a lot of guys who are exactly like that. It's those guys that would probably gain the most from feminism and a rethinking of gender-roles and it makes me honestly sad that he misses the point of the concept so much.
I was even kinda expecting him to set up a final punch-line that maybe the feminists are not so wrong after all, at least in concept, when he envies the way his wife handles emotions better than him, but well.

It was a funny special, but in the end it makes me honestly sad to see fellow guys struggle so much because they are kinda trapped in their concept of manlyness. I think what gets me is that Bill, other than from other stand-ups I know that joke about this topic, actually depicts himself as suffering from it.
yeah you can tell his childhood home life was probably shit. also that dog story was horrible

Oct 25, 2017
I bailed out in the first third. I get that it's pointedly exaggerated for comic effect, but yeah pretty much all the feminism stuff wasn't at all couched with any self-awareness. Just came off as wilfully ignorant. There's little nuggets of solid observation in it, but he buried them so deep in the angry man troll schtick it was hard to stay on his side.

I'll watch the rest later though, given everyone's feedback that it gets markedly better.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
"Mom, I love you, and you're never gonna see me again! Don't believe what people said about me! I'm so sorry! I'm going to Alaska! Oh, God, God!" Had me dying.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Thing about the feminism stuff is, he had a point.

'Someday there's gonna be the first woman President'

Crowd Cheers

'You dont even know what her fucking platform is, and you automatically cheer.'

That is hilarious.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018

Crowd Cheers

That is hilarious.
That was probably my favorite part. "You guys are fat too." was also hilarious.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I feel that if you listen to his podcast religiously like I do, you've already heard most of the jokes. Still, it was fucking hilarious as always.

P.S. I think that his earlier specials were better than these last two he has put out.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well to be fair, he's very self aware about this. Throughout his career in fact. In this special it was his comment about how women can take baths. In another special he talked about ordering a cookie in public. And in one of his podcasts or interviews he said that women have it figured out, that by saying how they feel to friends and family they process things in a healthier way while men just repress it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

I think that is why I enjoy new comedians or ones that aren't that big yet. Feel like comedians can get to the point where they go "hollywood" and lose that self awarness from when they were hungry.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Well to be fair, he's very self aware about this. Throughout his career in fact. In this special it was his comment about how women can take baths. In another special he talked about ordering a cookie in public. And in one of his podcasts or interviews he said that women have it figured out, that by saying how they feel to friends and family they process things in a healthier way while men just repress it.

Yeah exactly, he knows exactly where the problem lies but still sees feminism as something that is designed to only and exclusively help women, while it just as well wants to help men in overcoming exactly the problems he talks about all the time.
There's no harm in making fun of extreme voices within the feminism movement, but the cause itself is very inclusive.

What I mean is that I know a lot of guys with exactly the problems he describes but that refuse to accept other views about what it means to be a man because feminism = evil women thst want to destroy my life, basically on principle alone.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Will watch tonight.
Prior to his last special I saw him at Madison Square Garden so it was not nearly as impactful since it was basically the same thing slightly refined.
Hoping going into it fresh will mean it is even that much better.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like listening to his podcast with regularity has spoiled me—shockingly found myself dozing off during my viewing. But, good stuff regardless, just didn't hear anything that I wasn't expecting.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
i thought the Michelle Obama thing was kinda dumb. i understand he needed a doorway to the joke about first ladies but Michelle being so renowned and accomplished made it miss its mark.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
i thought the Michelle Obama thing was kinda dumb. i understand he needed a doorway to the joke about first ladies but Michelle being so renowned and accomplished made it miss its mark.
Yeah, he chose the one first lady that I can understand would draw a huge crowd just for being herself. Michelle is a genuine icon/rockstar.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that his podcast listeners have a head start on most of these jokes, I used to never miss his podcast, but after a while with the two-per-week I just can't keep up with it. God I wish he'd just go back to one a week.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about halfway through and this is one of his best specials yet. Bill is just great.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I started to watch this because I saw someone say that he had a different take on social justice than one might expect. If he does, he should have got there more quickly, as I stopped and thumbs downed that shit in the first five minutes. Boring-ass material that any asshole could write.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I started to watch this because I saw someone say that he had a different take on social justice than one might expect. If he does, he should have got there more quickly, as I stopped and thumbs downed that shit in the first five minutes. Boring-ass material that any asshole could write.
So, proving his point exactly.

Well done, good show.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Kind of a weak take tbh. I'm glad no comedians think that way. "I have 5 minutes to get this whole bit out, argh!"

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Crowd Cheers

That is hilarious.
It was funny, but to be more serious, if I had a man and a woman candidate to chose from with exactly equal resume and values, I would vote for the woman.

Oct 29, 2017
just wish he didn't use the "go back to the kitchen" line, that shit is so old and used up, he could have come up with a better insult

yeah this was the biggest standout disappointment from the special for me. I was waiting for a zinger and then it was like the most basic line ever. There are a lot of jokes that went along the same lines as some of his older specials as well. Felt a little bit like retreading old material to me.

It's still pretty good. I always love to hear Bill rant but I think this was one of his weaker efforts.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Just watched it. Pretty fantastic, that was the hardest I've laughed at standup in a long time.

The beginning was pretty rough. Especially the feminist part, and in particular the male feminist bit. I think it's partially a generational thing but I grew up being taught that feminism just meant that you believe men and women should be treated equally. It was a little weird hearing him say that male feminists are a recent thing, and saying that no true man can call himself a feminist just felt dumb. I think part of the problem is he's really not good at articulating himself. At the end of the bit you realize what he means better, like when he says a male feminist is like a white person making a show of being part of the civil rights movement. But even then I don't really get what he's saying exactly. You can support treating people equally even if you can't personally relate to their struggles. And he does mention that he empathizes with women, but I don't know, like I said, I really didn't get the point of that whole bit or what the joke was exactly.

I just think the dude's sexist. His other specials have similar stuff about women and those parts always feel like some lame 80s bullshit about them being in the kitchen or whatever. Just look at the Michelle Obama part, tons of underlying sexist crap all throughout that joke.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
It's funny that his podcast listeners have a head start on most of these jokes, I used to never miss his podcast, but after a while with the two-per-week I just can't keep up with it. God I wish he'd just go back to one a week.

His Thursday shows are usually only like 20-30 min of him talking then the rest is music. It's not to bad.

CaughtBeing

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the special was just shit. His comedy isn't layered. It was just a rant more than comedy. But he did point out that he has problem with his anger, so that's something.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
someone here watched 5 minutes so they could have an opinion, now that's comedy

I thought it was pretty good and it got better as it went on, overall I've loved bits from Burr's shows I don't think I've seen one that was great all the way through.

Doesn't help I listen to the podcast every now and then so of course as he's coming up with the material you hear it

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
I was in the audience for the taping and that joke fell completely flat - I don't think he realised how popular the Obama's are in the UK. IIRC he addressed the silence in the room?

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
"he's just sexist", they say, later on laughing at a joke in the special about stephen hawking and ALS because it doesn't affect them.

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
I think the special was just shit. His comedy isn't layered. It was just a rant more than comedy. But he did point out that he has problem with his anger, so that's something.
3 huge sections that were certainly "layered":

-him being sexually assaulted
-the argument he had with his wife about elvis (the best bit in the special, the joke was a fucking ouroboros)
-the bit about his dog that tied into repressing his feelings from earlier in the special

nobody in comedy is more aware of his own shortcomings. you should listen to his podcast. makes fun of himself for 90 minutes a week.