• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

CaughtBeing

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 huge sections that were certainly "layered":

-him being sexually assaulted
-the argument he had with his wife about elvis (the best bit in the special, the joke was a fucking ouroboros)
-the bit about his dog that tied into repressing his feelings from earlier in the special

nobody in comedy is more aware of his own shortcomings. you should listen to his podcast. makes fun of himself for 90 minutes a week.

I agree. I was wrong in stating it wasn't layered. Him being sexually assaulted, tying backs to him being an altar boy, tying him back to his childhood. Elvis bit was fun. His dog bit felt super sad.

I think in terms of comedy, this special was like not so good, because it felt like his journey through this current environment. Which was the same for Dave chapelle. Both went after the whole over correction of our political climates. And then both went personal.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this set on tour almost a year ago now, and have been looking forward to this. Loved it.

However, I will note that he cut a great bit about the armed forces that absolutely killed the audience. I wonder if that was because it was in England or if he wants to workshop it more.

Anyway, the bit was about how we're supposed to see everyone in the military as heroes even when they're not. He talked about fighter jet pilots versus the guys with the orange glow sticks that point them in the direction they're supposed to take off as well as guys who do menial tasks like scrape barnacles off of ships. I had a friend with me, a vet, at the time who actually did that particular job and he was dying the whole time. Especially when he was talking about how they get introduced at baseball games, "One of our heroes is here," Titantron goes to shot of guy that scraped barnacles off ships.

Bill did mention when he did it that the bit offended a lot of normal people, but military people loved it. So, maybe it just didn't work out. IDK.

Great regardless.

Also, at the beginning he talked about how his wife just called him as he was about to come out, and she was crying/freaking out. It made him instantly nervous and worried, and it turns out she just saw "A Star is Born" and thought it was really good. lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this set on tour almost a year ago now, and have been looking forward to this. Loved it.

However, I will note that he cut a great bit about the armed forces that absolutely killed the audience. I wonder if that was because it was in England or if he wants to workshop it more.

Anyway, the bit was about how we're supposed to see everyone in the military as heroes even when they're not. He talked about fighter jet pilots versus the guys with the orange glow sticks that point them in the direction they're supposed to take off as well as guys who do menial tasks like scrape barnacles off of ships. I had a friend with me, a vet, at the time who actually did that particular job and he was dying the whole time. Especially when he was talking about how they get introduced at baseball games, "One of our heroes is here," Titantron goes to shot of guy that scraped barnacles off ships.

Bill did mention when he did it that the bit offended a lot of normal people, but military people loved it. So, maybe it just didn't work out. IDK.

Great regardless.

Also, at the beginning he talked about how his wife just called him as he was about to come out, and she was crying/freaking out. It made him instantly nervous and worried, and it turns out she just saw "A Star is Born" and thought it was really good. lol.
Yeah the military bit really killed when I saw him

Some heckler was yelling something incomprehensible about ISIS and Bill made fun of him constantly for the rest of the show.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
My god the last ten minutes about his dog and being unable to exhaling his emotions in the moment was so fucking relative and depressive for me. Damn you Bill.

It was awesome. After Louis C.K. only Dave and Bill are left for me in comedy and standup.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I agree. I was wrong in stating it wasn't layered. Him being sexually assaulted, tying backs to him being an altar boy, tying him back to his childhood. Elvis bit was fun. His dog bit felt super sad.

I think in terms of comedy, this special was like not so good, because it felt like his journey through this current environment. Which was the same for Dave chapelle. Both went after the whole over correction of our political climates. And then both went personal.

That altar boy line was fucking dark. I'll admit I laughed, and hopefully it's just a joke, but man, that was something.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I loved his 15 minute takedown of Philadelphia when a heckler got to him.
Him calling it a "fucking one-bridge-having, piece of shit city" slayed me.

I actually think the hecklers went after the comedian before him and he was either showing solidarity or just letting the rowdy crowd know that he didn't come to play

That altar boy line was fucking dark. I'll admit I laughed, and hopefully it's just a joke, but man, that was something.
"Are we doing this, or what?" Dark as fuck, also funny as fuck

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the military bit really killed when I saw him

Some heckler was yelling something incomprehensible about ISIS and Bill made fun of him constantly for the rest of the show.
It always kills me when people heckle. I gotta wonder if they do it to be made fun of. It does, however, make the show even more entertaining with them always getting destroyed afterwards.

Shit what happened to Cleo? I haven't heard his podcast in a while...
He had to give her away due to behavioral issues. They were concerned about how the dog would be with their child before it was born. They gave it to the trainer she had been seeing.

I actually think the hecklers went after the comedian before him and he was either showing solidarity or just letting the rowdy crowd know that he didn't come to play
It was more than a heckler, it was a lot of the audience. The first comedian of the night was booed off stage, who this was the other comedians won't say. After that, others were cutting their acts short due to how the audience was behaving. By the time Bill got out there, he just snapped. He refused to get off the stage early, which is why you hear him counting down how many minutes are left during the rant.

Last edited:

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He fucking nails it when he talks about how white women love to section themselves off from their own privilege and pass it all off to white men. You're all in this together!

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The second half really saved the special for me. I'm so tired of the same pc outrage jokes by old comedians. Talk about low hanging fruit.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
He fucking nails it when he talks about how white women love to section themselves off from their own privilege and pass it all off to white men. You're all in this together!

Chappelle nailed it during one of his specials...

Come on, white woman, you know what it is. You was in on the heist, you just don't like your cut.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

"Are we doing this, or what?" Dark as fuck, also funny as fuck

The Philadelphia rant. It's epic, he roasts the crowd so much they go from booing to cheering.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
That for some it doesnt even matter what her agenda is as long as she is female.

Gotcha.

I was thinking to myself, "but Republicans would never put a woman in office so a female candidate with a chance of winning would likely be a Dem." But I'm pretty sure if some wacko crazy Fox News type ran Republicans would vote for them.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gggN4y1.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm about 14 minutes in and it isn't offensive, just tired and boring jokes about how metoo went too far.

I love Burr but this isn't creative and disappointing.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018

He explained on Joe Rogan's podcast that he didn't do the bit those nights of taping because of a tragedy that happened and nobody was laughing the nights before the taping. So he cut it out.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Great regardless.

He talked about why he cut it in the latest podcast with Rogan, apparantly on the day of the taping, some news came out which made the subject a bit touchy or something.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
The beginning was pretty rough.
I felt like it got better as it went on, my GF noped out in the first few minutes.
This is good to hear, started to watch this last night and that first bit was so predictable and boring I switched to something else. There is a lot of content out there vying for my time, you have to start with something more interesting than that opener. Will go back later tonight.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I enjoyed it. A lot of it felt like he was just threading on old material tbh, but some of the new (well..new to me that is) stuff was great!

7/10 for me. Not his best show, but fairly enjoyable regardless.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
oh my god what a photograph. it's actually perfect.

its ok to shame those 3 women just standing there? just for their race? they probably didnt even vote for Trump, not one of them, i'd fucking bet on it.

generalizing based simply on race is always dangerous bullshit, always.

i mean what are those 3 women supposed to do in that situation, go up to the woman holding the sign and beg for forgiveness for something they most likely did not even fucking do?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
its ok to shame those 3 women just standing there? just for their race? they probably didnt even vote for Trump, not one of them, i'd fucking bet on it.

generalizing based simply on race is always dangerous bullshit, always.

i mean what are those 3 women supposed to do in that situation, go up to the woman holding the sign and beg for forgiveness for something they most likely did not even fucking do?
it's not about those 3 women.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed this special a whole damn lot. As I said earlier in the thread we saw him live before he taped his last special. Seeing him work it out live and it not being his best material made me not like his last special even that much less.

So funny enough, I had warned my wife the first 15 minutes or so may be rough based on a few comments made here earlier on in the thread. Afterwards she said to me "so what was supposed to be rough about that first 15 minutes? It was a little ever so slightly off, but not really. It was Bill Burr's take on everything going on with that stuff."

So I don't know. I guess it all depends on who is watching it and how familiar or not you are with my man and his overall stance on things. I do think our age is relevant as well. We are in our mid 40's, so we have lived in 2 different societies. Before and after social media. I am not saying one is better than the other. Just that we know what life is with and without both realities. We have also been fans of him for a very long time. We also listen to his podcast together in the car a lot. So yeah, we are kind of numb to his perspective and do happen to find it amusing and comedic.

Really enjoyed it overall though. Not his best special, but definitely much better than the last one.

Also the very last part of the special really hit home for us. On Sunday a new dog entered our home. He is a rescue. He was abused in the past so he has trust issues. And 5 days later so far only I have only been able to pet him. The only reason we even are at this point already is I also work from home and also have been sleeping downstairs on the couch with him. Leon (that is the dog's name) literally attacked me on Monday unprovoked. Fortunately he is only 10 pounds. So we are pretty sure he is going to be that type of dog Bill described his dog as being. Fortunately we decided many years ago we were never having kids (we are already in our mid 40's so it has literally truly been decided), so we will never have to face that situation he explained. But I literally started tearing up just because I could relate so damn much to that last part.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Enjoyed it from beginning to end, although the story about the dog was sad. This to me was a big step up from his last special. Netflix still killing it with the comedy.

Oct 25, 2017
Another great one by Bill, I don't know if I'll ever get sick of him talking about his repressed anger. That whole dog bit at the end killed me

overcast

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, that killed when I saw him in LA. I think there was somebody unhappy with it in the crowd if I recall, lmao.
it's not about those 3 women.
The picture definitely gained traction based on those 3 women in the background, but it is not about them.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this the other night. It was great, I was worried it would have too much old man yelling at cloud humor but it didn't.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by some of the reactions in this thread, I was expecting the first 15 minutes to be seriously rough, but it was pretty tame from my perspective. It was basically just a rehash of his usual curmudgeon persona rather than punching straight down like the "edgier" parts of Chappelle's recent special.

I thought this special was better than his last one, although I probably have to rewatch it to really compare since it's been a couple of years.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Judging by some of the reactions in this thread, I was expecting the first 15 minutes to be seriously rough, but it was pretty tame from my perspective. It was basically just a rehash of his usual curmudgeon persona rather than punching straight down like the "edgier" parts of Chappelle's recent special.

I thought this special was better than his last one, although I probably have to rewatch it to really compare since it's been a couple of years.

I mean Bill is pretty woke, informed, and progressive leaning which is especially emphasized in interviews. He certainly has evolved from his earlier years and even more so after he met his wife and got married.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I thought this special was okay, but nowhere near his "You people are all the same".

Then again, that might be one of my top five stand-up comedy shows ever.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
yeah you can tell his childhood home life was probably shit. also that dog story was horrible

Bill has been pretty open about his childhood on his podcast and it's one of those things that you see created the person he is today. It's not often you get to hear about someone's childhood experience and then have it totally click how it made who they are. Patrice O'Neal was similar, not in so much his childhood, but him telling stories about his past that automatically clicked with you as to how it completely made him the person that he was and the jokes he would tell.

Bill's parents, especially his dad, were not great, especially at showing affection. I remember him telling a story about one of the few times his mother hugged him and how it still weirds him out to this day. It's hilarious, yet sad, that you see created him. I think it was when he was going off to college or moving out or whatever and his mother hugged him in like this awkward way as if she knew it was expected of her and they both awkwardly hugged as Bill and his siblings weren't hugged growing up and that hug from his mom still makes him shiver to this day due to the awkwardness when he thinks about it. I love those stories from Bill.

Of course, the "saddest" story I recall from either one of his podcast episodes or a special when he's talking about how psycho his dad was growing up and how he hated joy such that he never wanted to bring anyone over to the house. And then he got a GF that started getting more serious and she wanted to meet his parents and Bill was dreading this fucking meeting because he didn't want to introduce her to his psycho dad. But, eventually he agreed and was psyching himself up the whole trip, preparing himself and GF for the misery that would be his father. Then when they get there and she meets him, he's totally fine. He acts like a normal dad, he's joking and his funny and polite and his GF is wondering what Bill was even worried about. And Bill talks about how angry that made him because he wanted to know where that dad was his whole life.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I really liked it. I am a huge fan of Bill Burr and listen to his podcast and have seen all his specials. I thought the last couple of specials were weaker, but this one was a good return to form. It wasn't his best set, but still better than the past few.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Great regardless.

He explained on JRE that he cut it because the day of recording there was some kind of terrorist threat in the news that day (he didn't know) so there was a weird atmosphere in the crowd in reaction to it. He didn't cut it because he was afraid of offending the troops or something.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I am a huge Bill Burr fan and I thought that this special to be the weakest out of all of his Netflix specials,

1st half felt like re-used rants from his podcast, I love his podcast but I wanted this to be all Stand Up with new material.

Collin Kapernick commentary, OLD. He already covered this on his podcast, heck South Park covered it 2 YEARS AGO

2nd half was way way better than the 1st half, loved the Robot bit (now this was Stand Up)

Bill Burr needs to hit the comedy clubs again and come up with new material that isn't re-use from his podcast.