• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Loved it. The airbag joke was the best.

Same, I lost it at that part

MY FAMILY!!!!

I love Bill, he's gotten better with age. His humor is self aware. He admits he's imperfect, incorrect and ignorant at times. He's definitely not the "angry white dude who hates SJWs" that people make him out to be.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Bill is so great. Also love that to promote this he has been making the rounds on all the podcasts, which are all also great as well.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Bill has an amazing grasp of white privilege that is even better magnified by the fact he is married to a black woman that constantly calls him out on his bullshit. It's amazing that this very fact has made his comedy even better in that regard.

People are always shocked to find out he married a black woman but when you hear them on his podcast it makes total sense because their dynamic is so great even though they are in constant disagreement and Bill is stubborn as fuck. It was great to hear him joke about how he tries bettering himself for both his daughter and his wife. And as a result constantly bitching about having to make those improvements but doing them anyway. These were my favorite parts of the special even as a podcast listener because you get the reaction to the live audience which can't be relocated.

He has blindspots, everyone does, but I feel he still has a very strong sense of self and self-awareness that many people lack and don't want to face. I liked the Chappelle special but was surprised at how much better I thought this was.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The first, easily, 20 whole minutes of this special is absolute hack shit that is way beneath Burr. He's had funnier improv rants on his podcast than this.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the 2nd half was stronger than the first half.

Overall it was a pretty good special. I think Bill is really good at working in physical comedy into his bits. The blow-up doll. The airbag joke/scene.

I think he also did a good job of contextualizing the his jokes so he won't get pushback. He has a comedic persona and is playing around with ideas to build up something which will make you laugh.

As much as Bill Burr's persona wants you to think he doesn't care what the audience thinks, he often, is transparent in reacting/saving based off the audience reaction. He's building a connection and being in England made him work to take his material and build connections with the English audience. He comments on the audience's reactions/pulling back and is extremely sensitive to making them feel comfortable laughing at some fucked up things.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm about 14 minutes in and it isn't offensive, just tired and boring jokes about how metoo went too far.

I love Burr but this isn't creative and disappointing.
Yeah, I watched like 20 minutes and was just bored tbh, didn't bother with the rest. Was already getting tired of his "PC getting out of hand!" ramblings (I guess every comedian of his age is going through this phase) in recent years. Bill being "self-aware" doesn't do him any favors.
The previous special was also disappointing imo.

A shame, his old specials were so great. Guess I'm just done with him.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, I watched like 20 minutes and was just bored tbh, didn't bother with the rest. Was already getting tired of his "PC getting out of hand!" ramblings (I guess every comedian of his age is going through this phase) in recent years. Bill being "self-aware" doesn't do him any favors.
The previous special was also disappointing imo.

A shame, his old specials were so great. Guess I'm just done with him.

Interesting edit lol.

But I will say watching 20mins of something then judging it is odd.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's your time, it's up to you how you spend it. And if you're not feeling it you're not feeling it.

I just see this being the same as reading like the first half of your post then dismissing you and your opinion without reading the rest and passing full judgment on it as if I read it. I also don't see it as that much different he is than his former specials in this regard about ranting about things that pertain to our current social spaces (tbf though it has been quite a while since I watched them).

Even listening to his podcast you can see he's grown more as a person since his first special. Some of his views are still misguided and always have been. People seem upset at comics for arguing there is a huge grey area to things that we often ignore for whatever reason and that things aren't always what they seem. Right now that 'grey' space is under siege more than ever and comics live in that space. I can't remember the last big comic I saw that hasn't commented on metoo or other movements going on.

Anyway, just like with Chappelle, I completely understand when people do not vibe with this stuff though.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Michelle Obama illuminate lotion bit made me laugh so damn hard. Bill's a funny dude, but his constant yelling gets old. It brings down his material. This is why i think he's so much funnier when doing interviews.

Oct 25, 2017
The beginning is weird. He did the exact same "believe women" joke last year in a Conan interview. Same content, much much better delivery. It's almost like stand-up is not the best place for all of his material.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, the first 25 minutes of this is fucking terrible "cancel culture" bullshit. How many comedians are gonna ride this fckn "we can't say nothing anymore" through million dollar netflix deals? Talk about a bunch of disconnected fucktards.

Oct 27, 2017
Same, I lost it at that part

MY FAMILY!!!!

I love Bill, he's gotten better with age. His humor is self aware. He admits he's imperfect, incorrect and ignorant at times. He's definitely not the "angry white dude who hates SJWs" that people make him out to be.
If you spend 25 minutes on Netflix being that angry white dude who hates SJWs, you're that angry white dude, man.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
If you spend 25 minutes on Netflix being that angry white dude who hates SJWs, you're that angry white dude, man.

The difference with Bill is that he expresses some level of concern and guilt for how he presents his ideas. He's not entirely dismissive or tone deaf. So for me, he gets a pass. Again, he admits his own faults and ignorance. He doesn't come off as "I'm right, you're wrong, and that's how it is". His overall tone isn't mean spirited at all. Just pointing out inconsistencies and bullshit.

But if you don't like him, fine. Just turn him off and watch something else.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got about halfway through and bailed, it wasn't even the misogyny it just wasn't funny. The latest Chapelle is waaay fucking funner than this.

Oct 27, 2017
The difference with Bill is that he expresses some level of concern and guilt for how he presents his ideas. He's not entirely dismissive or tone deaf. So for me, he gets a pass. Again, he admits his own faults and ignorance. He doesn't come off as "I'm right, you're wrong, and that's how it is". His overall tone isn't mean spirited at all. Just pointing out inconsistencies and bullshit.

But if you don't like him, fine. Just turn him off and watch something else.
Louie was like this for a while, admitting his own faults and ignorance, and whatever. Turns out he was a disgusting human being. I'm gonna be real wary of that kind of humor from now on.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Louie was like this for a while, admitting his own faults and ignorance, and whatever. Turns out he was a disgusting human being. I'm gonna be real wary of that kind of humor from now on.
No reason to think Burr or any comedian is disgusting just because another is. Comedians have put their flaws on stage for decades.

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to think Burr or any comedian is disgusting just because another is. Comedians have put their flaws on stage for decades.
I'm not sure what Burr's flaws are, actually. Being really insensitive about rape victims? Reducing Michelle Obama's legacy to sucking dick? Same question as usual : what are we laughing at, here?

And that "I'll be canceled!" stance is so tired and lame. God, can't believe he's become that kind of jerk too, honestly.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what Burr's flaws are, actually. Being really insensitive about rape victims? Reducing Michelle Obama's legacy to sucking dick? Same question as usual : what are we laughing at, here?
What are you asking? He makes his flaws really clear here. He talks about how his inner anger/deep rooted issues continuously come out during normal arguments.

I can't really answer what we are laughing at, because there is a lot that goes into comedy and its pretty case by case. It's fine that you don't find it funny.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The first, easily, 20 whole minutes of this special is absolute hack shit that is way beneath Burr. He's had funnier improv rants on his podcast than this.
I watched the first ten minutes of this last week without laughing, so I turned it off. Does it get better after the first 20ish minutes?

I wasn't offended, I just didn't think it was funny, and I am normally a big fan of his material even though I don't like most stand-up comedy.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning is weird. He did the exact same "believe women" joke last year in a Conan interview. Same content, much much better delivery. It's almost like stand-up is not the best place for all of his material.

This only just occured to me, but do you watch any non american comedians? Say Canadian etc. The only reason I ask is because I tend to go to quite a few stand up shows per year, but I'm from the UK not US and the pattern seems entirely different. People who were 'cancelled' are the butt of the jokes. I've yet to see a non US comedian actually worry about 'cancel culture'

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Sorry, man, didn't want to offend you. ;)

I guess you would see calling out bullshit as offensive. Either this fits your narrative or you're unaware of what you're projecting.

Like I said, keep on it. Not sure who this helps because I have yet to see anyone say Bill's takes are all spot on and accurate. It's almost like respectfully disagreeing would be the adult thing to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you miss the part of him strugling with his anger issues, him strugling to open up emotionally?
How does this factor in with his misogynistic #metoo jokes? I don't give a shit about his anger issues, lol

Edit : Just a quick twitter search will find a lot of dumb white dudes finding a lot of solace in Burr's anti-metoo, anti-feminism bullshit.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I watched the first ten minutes of this last week without laughing, so I turned it off. Does it get better after the first 20ish minutes?

I wasn't offended, I just didn't think it was funny, and I am normally a big fan of his material even though I don't like most stand-up comedy.

It gets "better" but that's only because you really can't do any worse than "durr transgendered people put their cut off dicks on their heads" or whatever the fuck that one joke was supposed to be.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I finally got around to watching this. It is fantastic!

Dave's was very good the second half but this was solid from start to finish.