• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Last night at the game awards somebody crashed the stage during the GOTY speech

The the crasher in question called Bill Clinton a "Reformed Orthodox Rabbi". A big part of Antisemitic conspiracies are that world leaders are secretly Jews controlling the world.

So before you make another post defending his actions know that you're defending antisemitism.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
people were defending that in the first place? even if you take out the antisemitic context (don't actually do that), he still did a shitty thing

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Have people being defending this here? I thought it was pretty obvious the guy was a shithead

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
people were defending that in the first place? even if you take out the antisemitic context (don't actually do that), he still did a shitty thing

You should see the other thread lol, it was pretty wild how a "would be progressive" place like era has a bunch of people overlooking this or even downplaying it

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I hope no one is defending or cheering this. Besides being an alt-right dogwhistle, this could've gone so much worse if the kid had a weapon and decided to attack the people on stage.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it as a dog whistle the moment it happened.
I get the memes. It was a totally unexpected moment (literally as it wasn't planned at all), and unexpected moments are prime for mockery. But also understand that what he said was horrific.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Its the gaming community, there are people thinking this guy is a hero for being a madlad

Which is terrifying. I saw a man simply walk up to a woman sitting on the TTC (subway) and decide to stab her. No provocation, no tells before. The fact people seem to be cheering or making memes about this is sickening.

Also a big failure on Geoff and the team. Where the hell was security?

Hikariixx

One Winged Slayer
Nov 19, 2020
Yeah it was honestly very unsettling and not a nice way to end a great show

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
That thread and r/gamingcirclejerk really surprised me with the amount of responses that found it "funny". There was nothing funny about that. Far-right people are trying to enter mainstream discourses, that's scary not funny.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The whole thing is about linking (former) world leaders to Judiasm / the whole "the Jews secretly run everything!" (While the nazis also claim theyre being "inferior" to the cucked white race lmao)

Its not super overt like the nazis yelling "theyll not replace us" while carrying tiki torches their mommas bought them at wallmart but its still the same message

Posting this here for anyone joining in to "its just memes bro" who will undoubtedly show up

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I hope no one is defending or cheering this. Besides being an alt-right dogwhistle, this could've gone so much worse if the kid had a weapon and decided to attack the people on stage.

Yeah for real. Just off the top of my head, I can think of two major incidents of people being attacked on stage just this year. It's not really that funny; it's quite scary to think what could have happened.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Thought this was just a stupid annoyance at the show, but it`s worse than that obviously.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the discussion about how they're promoting Trumpers and sex pests in the other thread, I'm tempted to say that it's an appropriate venue for dog whistles.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine getting arrested to say that...I mean getting arrested for doing the right thing...but bullshiting like that...come on kid...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Who is promoting what now?
See these posts from the There isn't a single woman or non-binary person on this list of "eligible twitch drops" channels for The Game Awards thread:
Hey Slayven, it might be worth adding this to the OP as it really puts into context just how horrible this is.

There are no women or non-binary people on this list but it does include a disgusting misogynist in the form of Asmongold:

View: https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareColorfulHummingbirdMoreCowbell-gob7UqGXZtxEM_Pd
Also, there was this thread on Asmongold being an awful person (but it got locked because "the thread has resulted in a circular argument that only serves to annoy and agitate minority members of the forum.")

www.resetera.com

WoW/FFXIV streamer Asmongold has a recent history of using ableist slurs and defending the use of racial slurs Video/Streaming

7/23 UPDATE: As pointed out later in this thread, this video is from just last week. In it, he claims that women who are bothered by the oversexualization of female characters in video games are just "ugly and insecure" and that men are actually more oversexualized in video games that women...

This guy is the worst choice to be on this Twitch drop list, if TGA wanted to show that they want to be more progressive.
Flying under the radar is ItmeJP who pretty infamously got accused of abuse and unwanted sexual advances and not only faced no consequences, but also continues to be successful and platformed by Jesse Cox and CohhCarnage.

Absolutely gross.

Not only are there no women or non-binary people on the list, but they've rewarded someone accused of hurting a woman. Good job Game Awards.
Early on in their history, it was also pointed out how The Game Awards' Trending Gamer category kept promoting Gamergate figures. It just keeps happening with them.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Considering the discussion about how they're promoting Trumpers and sex pests in the other thread, I'm tempted to say that it's an appropriate venue for dog whistles.

I mean, the G*mers (TM) are the target audience.
Have we forgotten the gamergate to alt-right (eg nazi) pipeline?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
See these posts from the There isn't a single woman or non-binary person on this list of "eligible twitch drops" channels for The Game Awards thread:

Early on in their history, it was also pointed out how The Game Awards' Trending Gamer category kept promoting Gamergate figures.
www.resetera.com

There isn't a single woman or non-binary person on this list of "eligible twitch drops" channels for The Game Awards

https://twitter.com/dbreeezy_/status/1600873064711225344?s=46&t=Rjk_c6x4vmANeL1KhRyVqw Not a good look, after that speech last year

Thank you, I haven't been to that thread. This is appalling.

OP
OP
HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Have people being defending this here? I thought it was pretty obvious the guy was a shithead
Quite a lot of people were either downplaying it or calling it funny in the original thread
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bill-clinton.662827/

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the clip now and it was a genuinely shitty thing to do, totally ruined what was meant to be an emotional moment for the Elden Ring team just watching this unhinged kid standing around in the background.

Also, the kid seemed to be wearing a pair of Yeezy's, further lending credence to it being an antisemitic dog whistle. Not sure how legit this is, but I saw on Twitter someone found previous instances of the kid interrupting shows.

View: https://twitter.com/VermilViathan/status/1601102309035225088

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean...isn't that the whole point of the "dog whistle" shit? To spread it through folks who don't know?

Dog whistle's primary point is to signal what you're saying to a group of people who 'get' what you're really saying, but also gives you primary deniability when you're called out on it so you can say it was all a joke, it was nonsense or you were talking about somehow else. Think of the term itself, a dog whistle is something one being can hear and another can't.

But having said that, you aren't wrong either I guess. It can spread in this manner if it's insidious enough (the way liberal media has spread without a lot of people understanding that it's really a dog whistle for Jew media). But I would think most people would have caught on to these by now, especially when they're as old and obvious as calling a known former world leader a Reformed Jew.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'll never understand the weird chud fascination with the Clintons.

It's hard to remember this now, but Bill Clinton was basically the GOP nightmare in his heyday. He was a well spoken Southern who knew how to talk himself into the Southern part of the country that had become the GOP's political capital (of course, he largely did this by leaning into the shitty part of that area and it's racism). I think he still has like the highest white population vote of any Dem President post-CRA, but not 100% sure.

Since he not only had that Southern charm that almost no Democrat has been able to tap into on a federal level before or after and he was stealing a lot of the GOP's shitty ideas about law enforcement and welfare reform, the only choice they had is to paint him as like the ultimate evil. And it just sort of stuck around well after he was out of power. And then Hillary was always a well spoken women who many pegged as being a big deal long before she ran for President or become a Senator, and the GOP really hate women.

It is weird, but conservatives are really about myth making, because it's the only way they can make sense out of the stupid shit they believe

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Bill Clinton

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoliteBrightMouseOSkomodo-JROWcZVK4SouyFS4 Who was this kid??
I don't think there is any need to call people out who didn't know.

To most people it probably just sounded like a random statement. Most of us had no fucking clue what even just happened. I guess people who said things like "At least he didn't say something really bad" ended up being wrong. A bunch of us thought he was some kid shouting his rabbi out.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
So the anti semitism thing is gross. Thanks for the reminder.

To play devil's advocate, my immediate response to things like streakers at a sporting event is typically amusement, so I guess I can understand people's immediate reaction to some anarchy/chaos at a formal event (especially when you're an observer who isn't there) as being funny. But yeah when you actually sit and think about it and feel for the people actually there it's terrifying.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise anyone was defending his stupidity in the first place haha.

What blew my mind was why a kid so young is doing this in the first place. Absolute madness.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I think at the end people just don't treat antisemitism at same level here as racism or anti-LGBT right wingers even though antisemitism results in violence, deaths and hurt in same manner.

Shit isn't funny and the other thread is disappointing to see.

syphonblue

Apr 29, 2022
Shit, I'm Jewish and I didn't even know this was an antiemetic thing, that's fucking gross as hell. Glad he was arrested then.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that it was, and antisemitism is garbage. But I don't know why people were bigging this kid up for this in the first place. Developers work so hard on these games and they deserve to be celebrated. And this kid coming up there and making some dumb joke is disrespectful to the fact that this is supposed to be a celebration of gaming. Him saying something racist makes him extra trash, but he was trash in the beginning.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It sucks that it was, and antisemitism is garbage. But I don't know why people were bigging this kid up for this in the first place. Developers work so hard on these games and they deserve to be celebrated. And this kid coming up there and making some dumb joke is disrespectful to the fact that this is supposed to be a celebration of gaming. Him saying something racist makes him extra trash, but he was trash in the beginning.
Don't think the people bigging him up care about developers being celebrated more than celebrating a break in the respectability of the highly scripted content of the show.

Jul 7, 2021
It's hard to remember this now, but Bill Clinton was basically the GOP nightmare in his heyday. He was a well spoken Southern who knew how to talk himself into the Southern part of the country that had become the GOP's political capital (of course, he largely did this by leaning into the shitty part of that area and it's racism). I think he still has like the highest white population vote of any Dem President post-CRA, but not 100% sure.

Since he not only had that Southern charm that almost no Democrat has been able to tap into on a federal level before or after and he was stealing a lot of the GOP's shitty ideas about law enforcement and welfare reform, the only choice they had is to paint him as like the ultimate evil. And it just sort of stuck around well after he was out of power. And then Hillary was always a well spoken women who many pegged as being a big deal long before she ran for President or become a Senator, and the GOP really hate women.

It is weird, but conservatives are really about myth making, because it's the only way they can make sense out of the stupid shit they believe

Yep.

The '90s saw a real increase in anti-democratic, anti-liberal, anti-governmental thought; the rise of the militia movement, conspiracy theories about gun control and free speech, black helicopters, a one-world government, etc. Characters like Rush Limbaugh attacked Clinton on-air on a regular basis. In a way, nothing is new. Things are now more consolidated, more "mask off" with numerous types of extremists flying under one banner these days.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I think a lot of the reactions are from the shock of of the whole thing.

A random kid said something that most didn't clearly understand and ended it with "Bill Clinton". It's a huge WTF moment that caught everyone off guard. Most again, had no idea it was racist because it's very hard to understand exactly what he said.

What he did was super shitty but is it really surprising that some find that funny when it happened? I haven't seen anyone condone what he did. It's just so random that I couldn't help but laugh at the gall of what was happening when it happened. In retrospect, it's not funny at all, especially when factoring the antisemitic connotations.