• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Attempting to construct a false narrative about sexual assault by omission of information
And another one.....

In what could be a major blow to the prosecution's sexual assault case against Bill Cosby, a former model and reality TV star admitted on the witness stand Thursday that she fabricated passages in a memoir -- including a story of "rebuffing" the comedian's advances.
Janice Dickinson took the witness stand in a Pennsylvania courtroom, testifying in Cosby's retrial on three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

She told the jury that she passed out during the assault, saying, "It was gross."

Dickinson said she confronted Cosby the day after the alleged assault, but he did not acknowledge it occurred.
"I wanted to hit him," she testified. "I wanted to punch him in the face."

Under cross-examination, Cosby's attorney, Tom Mesereau, confronted Dickinson about her 2002 ghostwritten memoir, "No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel."

Mesereau challenged Dickinson's testimony, pointing out her description of the assault differed wildly from the Lake Tahoe encounter with Cosby she described in her memoir.
Holding up a copy of her book, Mesereau cited passages in which she described rebuffing Cosby's advances in Lake Tahoe, then "popping two Quaaludes and going to sleep" alone in her own hotel room.
Dickinson acknowledged that she concocted stories in the book in order to get a much-needed paycheck.

Earlier, during direct questioning, Dickinson testified that she decided to cut from her book the story of being sexually assaulted by Cosby after her publisher, Judith Regan, warned her it could ruin her career.
Cosby's first trial ended in a mistrial in June when a jury could not reach a verdict.

The prosecution has been allowed to call five additional Cosby accusers, including Dickinson, who claim they were sexually assaulted by Cosby in an attempt to prove a pattern of criminal conduct by the famous defendant.

I am not surprised.

MOD EDIT: Always provide a source

Source: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/natio...cuser-admits-concocting-story-for-memoir.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by what I'm reading. So in her book she downplayed what happened, and in court she was pushed to tell the truth about the sexual assault she experienced?

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
To be clear, she's not claiming that her current accusations against Cosby are false, but that she had any implicit accusations against Cosby in her 2002 memoir removed on the advice of her publisher. So it's an issue of credibility/consistency, not " this didn't actually happen to me".

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's a little hard to follow this without the source article being linked, but I'm not seeing the huge issue here? Like, I know it establishes untrustworthiness to a degree, but isn't this just saying that she'd lied about not being assualted by him?

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, if even one of them was telling the truth, Cosby is still a piece of shit. I don't know what else needs to be said here other than fuck Cosby and fuck people who lie about being raped.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. It seems that she cut the assault from her memoirs because her publisher told her to. The thread title is very misleading if this is the case.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe I'm cynical, but I believed there were plenty that were just straight up lying/fabricating it, so this isn't surprising at all. But there's no way in hell they're all doing it so Micheal said, he can beat it by being a POS. :\

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, title is misleading af. She admits she falsified stories in her memoir, not her accusation of assault. The defense is using this to damage her credibility.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
a) source?
b) this seems to say exactly the opposite of what everyone thinks it is?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Appearing angry, Dickinson responded, "They weren't there! And you weren't there! And I'm telling the real story!"

She continued: "I put my hand on the Bible and I swore. I wasn't under oath when I wrote the book."

Earlier, during direct questioning, Dickinson testified that she decided to cut from her book the story of being sexually assaulted by Cosby after her publisher, Judith Regan, warned her it could ruin her career..

You need to read beyond the title

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean when you have 60+ accusers the likelyhood of a not rock solid victim increases.

Sucks for the prosecution though. Dickinson took up a spot another victim could have used to testify.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm confused by what I'm reading. So in her book she downplayed what happened, and in court she was pushed to tell the truth about the sexual assault she experienced?
Yeah that's what I got from the quotes. She's saying she was abused but didn't want to talk about it in her memoir for obvious reasons. I don't see that as a huge contradiction so I'm not sure what the problem is.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean when you have 60+ accusers the likelyhood of a fake sneaking into the bunch increases.

Sucks for the prosecution though. Dickinson took up a spot another victim could have used to testify.

Read the OP again. The story in her memoir was that she wasn't assaulted.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her response to why she made up one story for the book and a different one on the witness stand was that she wasn't under oath when she wrote the book. The OP needs a rethink.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
So wait, she lied and said she wasn't assaulted, and she actually was?

E: or rather she lied about it in her book because of the publisher?

Oct 25, 2017
This is some incredibly gross spin on what actually happened. Like, this is the most agenda driven way to pitch her saying she underplayed events in her memoir on the advice of her publisher:
His defense team made a sustained effort to shake Ms. Dickinson's credibility, pushing her to acknowledge that a memoir she published in 2002 made no mention of an assault. Reading from the book in the courtroom, Thomas A. Mesereau Jr., a defense lawyer, said that Ms. Dickinson wrote she never entered Mr. Cosby's room and ended up taking two quaaludes in her own room, alone.
"You told a tale to the jury today that is completely different from the book," he said. "You made things up to get a paycheck."

But Ms. Dickinson said she had been advised by her publishers to leave out the assault for legal reasons.

"You take poetic license in what you do," she said. "Today I am on a sworn Bible."
Source

This is really gross. There is nothing new, surprising, or revelatory in the idea that Cosby's victims felt pressured for various reasons to keep quiet and not mention what happened over the years.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Misleading thread title.

"Bill Cosby accuser admits concocting story for memoir" implies, at least to me, that she fabricated the assault.

When instead she claims to have been fearful and downplayed the assault in her book, and later got the courage to truly testify what happened to her in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.