• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this eye-opening thread from Anand Giridharadas that seemed worth highlighting. I'll just post it here, because it speaks for itself.

Astonishing.

Bill Gates, the great philanthropist of our age, is so attached to his own wealth that he refuses to rule out voting to re-elect a white nationalist demagogue over Elizabeth Warren.

We are witnessing the unraveling of one of the great pretensions of our age. All along, we were told that these billionaires really cared about equality and justice above all. Bill Gates was trotted out as the example of choice when others behaved more dubiously.

But when you start to come after his wealth, even Bill Gates gets cagey.

EIudcFxXkAMIwKv.jpg

Then there's this stunning moment. Gates refuses to reject a vote for Trump if Warren, with her wealth-taxing impulse, is running opposite him. Gates actually says he would need to think about which of the two is more professional.

EIud_YBX0AEot4N.jpg

We need to unpack how astonishing this is.

First of all, when critics like me argue that philanthropy is no substitute for taxation and a fairer set of social arrangements, billionaires like Gates fire back: Yes, I support higher taxes. But we don't have them now, so I need to do this philanthropy.

Now here come two out of the top three candidates with major proposals to take away a big share of Gates's wealth in order to build a more equitable society. And now that the prospect is real, not only isn't he excited about it, he mulls voting for a white nationalist to stop it.

This is a guy who does stuff for Africa all day every day. Malaria nets up the wazoo. But he will contemplate voting for a president who speaks of those places as "shithole countries" because he doesn't favor a wealth tax?

This is a guy who does work to empower women and girls. But a violent, predatory misogynist isn't a dealbreaker for him in a president — because Warren's wealth tax is higher than he deems right?

This is a game-changing moment for this conversation. Because if we can't even trust Bill Gates to put his desire for a better world above his self-preservational plute drive, then who on planet earth can we trust?

One by one, these plutes are revealing themselves. And here even the most generous one by many measures is vacillating on the clearest moral choice of our time. He is open to voting for a racist, misogynist, lawbreaking tyrant because he dislikes a wealth tax.

And now think of this. This is the same mind making big decisions about Common Core and your kids' public education. About health priorities for entire societies. About pandemic preparedness. How do we trust these solutions once the mask slips and we see the paramount need?

"There is no circumstance under which I could ever vote for Donald Trump" is the only appropriate answer to this question. Suggesting there is anything to "decide" here is appalling.

And to those of you who are claiming somehow that this was a sly endorsement of Warren, please pay attention to the tense here. It's the future tense. He is explicitly saying he would have to decide between them. And he isn't sure who will have a more professional way.

"I will weigh." Like, that choice isn't a done deal for him. He needs to think about it. This is a very, very big problem.

Here's the basic thing: If the jury is still out for you on which of these two people is more professional, your definition of professional clearly isn't being of sound mind, etc. Your definition of professional would seem to be instead about policy choices, and your interests.

Here's a link to the entire video:

Last edited:

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Warren has these rich white boys TRIGGERED. It's remarkable. They turn into savage beasts.

Are they that easily offended by her proposals? Or are they legit scared they would actually pass?

I'm tired of Bill Gates anyway. He's done a lot of good work, but so have a lot of other people.

There's something infuriating about a philanthropist with an ego like this.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah that's pretty shitty and really hypocritical of him. Also, did you mean to post this here?

Nov 3, 2017
He also said companies that run ads shouldn't fact check because it's a judgement they can't make

THEY CANNOT JUDGE WHAT FACTS OBJECTIVELY ARE BILL?!

OP
OP
Jeremy

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Warren has these rich white boys TRIGGERED. It's remarkable. They turn into savage beasts.

Are they that easily offended by her proposals? Or are they legit scared they would actually pass?

It's a stunning revelation about power / the basic human fear of scarcity that Bill fuckin' Gates is worried that he could be taxed to a point where he doesn't have enough money.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that. So my take is, instead of giving the money to corrupt government, where only certain % of his money will be used to help other. Why wouldn't he contribute all of it to his foundation where 100% will go to the people in need.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
This is frustrating and shortsighted, obviously. (Insert "for a brief shining moment, we created a lot of value for shareholders" comic here.)

Warren made overtures to discuss with Gates on Twitter. It's naive of me, I know, but I hope he takes her up on it.

OP
OP
Jeremy

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that.

The point is that making him the arbitrary arbiter of how his billions get spent instead of taxing him properly and letting the government assess need is immoral.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
These people will always put money over people, so clearly Bernie and Warren are their enemies.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As somebody who uses his wealth for the great good his stance seems reasonable to me. He said he'd prefer not to be taxed obscene amounts and that he is looking for the most professional candidate. Does that not rule out Trump?

Considering Warren has even replied to explain how the tax will not be to the extreme he used in his example (AN EXAMPLE BTW). He just seems to be commenting on the different tax ranges proposed and hypotheticals rather than declaring his loyalty to Trump. Seems a bit blown out of proportion with the articles having a clear bias / narrative or am I missing something.

I'd prefer you rationally explain if I am wrong rather then go full ERA and start screeching at me too.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that Trump hit on Gates daughter when he first became President.

It is fucking INSANE how attached to wealth these people are when they wouldn't even fucking miss it at the end of the day.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Full context:

"I've paid over $10 billion in taxes. I've paid more than anyone in taxes. If I had to have paid $20 billion, it's fine. But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I'm starting to do a little math about what I have left over," Gates said, adding later that he was "just kidding."

Nobody is asking Bill to pay $100 billion, the article is pushing a stupid narrative.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that. So my take is, instead of giving the money to corrupt government, where only certain % of his money will be used to help other. Why wouldn't he contribute all of it to his foundation where 100% will go to the people in need.
we wouldnt need philantrophy if the rich werent so greedy to begin with.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bill Gates's Net Worth is 106 billion. Taxing away 100 billion doesn't really make much sense.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

6fY9AaC.gif

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I guess from his perspective you don't exactly know what the government is gonna do with that tax money. Spend it wisely? Unlikely.

He probably thinks he can do better? I get where he's coming from, but it still sucks that he'd consider Trump.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure Bill, Warren is going to tax you so much that you'll be penniless, living out on the street.... /s

You'll be just fine surviving off the billions upon billions of dollars you'll still have left.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
It's a stunning revelation about power / the basic human fear of scarcity that Bill fuckin' Gates is worried that he could be taxed to a point where he doesn't have enough money.
He could be thinking about more than just that. Like if the tax is too extreme it could have major ramifications on how our entire economy works, and that would at least require some extra consideration

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bill Gates was who everyone pointed to. But even he put money over morals. Eat the rich. Billionaires are immoral, full stop.

Deleted member 57020

User requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
Feels like the guy is trying too hard to call someone out and make a point. I'm pretty sure Bill Gates understands the difference between the two; he just doesn't want to publicly endorse a candidate.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He is probably afraid that the wealth tax will destroy is foundation. He considers it is life work more than probably Microsoft from his point of view.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yourself Bill Gates. However would you live with only 800 million dollars. All billionares are the same...

ZWOf79g.jpg

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never got the love. He promised to give away most of his money... after he dies. So generous. After I die, you guys can fight over what's left, because I don't care... I'm dead.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Because he benefits from the systems that are supported by tax dollars. And he still have billions of dollars now and clearly isn't giving 100% to people in need.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Bill Gates has donated BILLIONS to causes worldwide. I trust that he knows what he's doing with his billions, more than some politicians.

Bill Gates is the exception to the rule as most billionaires simply sit on their wealth and watch it grow, never missing it in the slightest. I'd trust that money going into things like Education and Welfare versus lining these sociopaths' pockets.

And at the end of the day, the taxes that Warren suggests DOESN'T EVEN AFFECT THEM IN THE SLIGHTEST.

Oct 25, 2017
this is a fucking insane statement that shows the benefit of the doubt the ultra wealthy receive but I'll focus mostly on the fact that he is trying to draw some type of equivalency between Elizabeth Warren and Donald Trump due to his fear Elizabeth Warren might tax him more.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The daily episode has me scared. Supposedly warren has no chance against trump, while bernie and biden do.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loves hoarding money I gotta side with Bill, at the end of the day money matters more than whoever is in charge.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's undecided.

I think that's just him not wanting to give the impression that he supports Warren (even though he'd vote for her if he had to).

There's no world where "the more professional candidate" would ever refer to Trump.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The fact you're willing to give anyone a free pass is bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Because even with his enormous philanthropy there are still millions of american children without adequate food , education, safety or healthcare.

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
If you thought Bill Gates' "philanthropy" meant anything other than tax havens and "good deeds" on his specific, completely undemocratic terms, hopefully this is a lesson for you.

When we say "there are no good billionaires," this is what we mean. That being a billionaire requires wage theft, requires enabling a system that leaves some substantial fraction of the human race impoverished and ill. That they only do good when it will benefit them or be on their terms. Hell, someone in this thread already used the "he thinks he knows better what to do with his money than the government" which is just... think on that. That the decision making of a single admittedly intelligent but also extremely lucky person outweighs the decision making of a democracy? Is that really how we want things to be? Rather than an anointed king, we have a handful of people richer than god who get to decide which cause is worthy of their grace... and that's good?

If you haven't already, you may want to read Giridharadas' book "Winners Take All" because it goes into the "charade" of billionaire philanthropy and may change your mind about people like Gates (and other billionaires who are supposedly "philanthropic" while sitting atop dragon hordes the likes of which this world has never seen before).

Oct 27, 2017
I just LOVE how the quote in the OP about taxation and how he'd start to think about it if it was $100 billion literally cuts off right before he says "Sorry, I'm just kidding". Or how the question about Trump v Warren, while he didn't give an explicit answer he says "I hope the more professional candidate is an electable candidate". Like it's pretty obvious what he means

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
"Whoever I decide will have the more professional approach in the current situation, probably is the thing I will weigh the most. And I hope that the more professional candidate is an electable candidate."
Isn't this just a vague way of saying he's voting for anyone but trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.