• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Republicans run on making the government shitty so they can point out that it's shitty so they can keep their money in classic fuck you got mine fashion. Truly a trash party and trash mindset.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I just LOVE how the quote in the OP about taxation and how he'd start to think about it if it was $100 billion literally cuts off right before he says "Sorry, I'm just kidding". Or how the question about Trump v Warren, while he didn't give an explicit answer he says "I hope the more professional candidate is an electable candidate". Like it's pretty obvious what he means

This entire thread is like when you pretend to throw the ball and the dog runs after nothing

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I just LOVE how the quote in the OP about taxation and how he'd start to think about it if it was $100 billion literally cuts off right before he says "Sorry, I'm just kidding". Or how the question about Trump v Warren, while he didn't give an explicit answer he says "I hope the more professional candidate is an electable candidate". Like it's pretty obvious what he means
Then why target the wealth tax at all? Why is it unreasonable

Nov 16, 2017
. That the decision making of a single admittedly intelligent but also extremely lucky person outweighs the decision making of a democracy? Is that really how we want things to be? Rather than an anointed king, we have a handful of people richer than god who get to decide which cause is worthy of their grace... and that's good?
This democracy elected Trump and has voted for some horrible policies. So yes, give me Bill Gates singular decision-making, over what America tends to vote for.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bill Gates's Net Worth is 106 billion. Taxing away 100 billion doesn't really make much sense.
If you took 100 billion dollars off his net worth Bill Gates would still be in the top 250 richest people in the world. I don't think people are truely grasping how absurdly wealthy he is.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I am not reading that comment the same way. The tell is the 'most professional' candidate line. That is OBVIOUSLY not Trump to Bill Gates's sensibilities and general disposition imo.

But, honestly, he needs to be taxed for most of that money asap.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the end of the day he is a rich white dude, when in doubt retreat into white supremacy

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
take 100 Billion from Bill Gates just for being a dick.

giphy.gif

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
All you need to do is pluck a quote from a 38 minute video that nobody is going to watch and it is like shooting fish in a barrel. Checkmate and touchdown.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying not to cynically compare the Gates Foundation to the Clinton Foundation or the Trump Foundation right now.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the guy is trying too hard to call someone out and make a point. I'm pretty sure Bill Gates understands the difference between the two; he just doesn't want to publicly endorse a candidate.
Exactly this. As far as I'm aware, he's never endorsed a candidate, but his comment about "the most professional" is top-tier shade thrown at Trump. I don't see how anyone could miss that context.
Shit on Gates for being a billionaire... I'm on board. Tax him more. He'll be fine. But his statement is about as vague as when Obama said something like, "I don't know who the next president will be, but I look forward to shaking her hand." (That 'joke', admittedly, didn't age well)

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that. So my take is, instead of giving the money to corrupt government, where only certain % of his money will be used to help other. Why wouldn't he contribute all of it to his foundation where 100% will go to the people in need.

Who says 100% goes to the people in need?

If it's so obvious why didn't he just answer the question?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this sounded like he was dumping on trump and he clearly said he was kidding about the 100 billion line.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Pretty much this.

Posters are so predictable.

Blatant manipulation of message through quotes leaving out the most important bits should be bannable.

Mods won't though because that would require them to go against general forum sentiment. So won't ever happen.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Its like none of the FUCKING BILLION CRIMES/hr Trump is doing is registering in this choice but the slightest inkling having to pay more taxes is what gives him pause. He must contemplate this deeply.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I respect his honesty. And I respect what he has done as a philanthropist even more.

He has done more good than anyone here criticizing him could ever dream of from behind their keyboard of courage. Spreading his wealth on the lot of you would be a waste.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who uses his wealth for the great good his stance seems reasonable to me. He said he'd prefer not to be taxed obscene amounts and that he is looking for the most professional candidate. Does that not rule out Trump?

Considering Warren has even replied to explain how the tax will not be to the extreme he used in his example (AN EXAMPLE BTW). He just seems to be commenting on the different tax ranges proposed and hypotheticals rather than declaring his loyalty to Trump. Seems a bit blown out of proportion with the articles having a clear bias / narrative or am I missing something.

I'd prefer you rationally explain if I am wrong rather then go full ERA and start screeching at me too.
For one, as explained earlier in this thread, he doesn't have issue with being taxed more. Heck he even says 20 billion would be acceptable. I assume he means that would be through the rest of his life or over a period of a decade or more, and not per year (unless he's an idiot, which he demonstrably is not). Then he throws out a number like 100 billion which has never been suggested.

Additionally, the Gates foundation is separate from his personal wealth and that would not be part of the wealth tax. So, the good work the Gates foundations does would not be taxed.

I responded to you despite your condescension.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Because even with his enormous philanthropy there are still millions of american children without adequate food , education, safety or healthcare.

This is a classic example of "you will never be good enough" dude has eradicated so many life threatening diseases saving millions of lives, provided education and sanitation in 3rd word country which will literally change many family trees for generations to come.

but some guy on Era posting but what about the other people. Well, he is only one person. he has inspired many rich people to start donating to his foundation. His work and legacy will live on after he is gone. I don't know when he will solve EVERYONE'S problem. But i bet he wish he could.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying not to cynically compare the Gates Foundation to the Clinton Foundation or the Trump Foundation right now.

I need to do way more reading and research before I write off Bill. On the surface, dude has done a lot for the fight against Malaria. Although for quick reading, his stance on charter schools wasn't the best, right?

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It's a stunning revelation about power / the basic human fear of scarcity that Bill fuckin' Gates is worried that he could be taxed to a point where he doesn't have enough money.
I think it's more about power (and ego) than a fear of scarcity. Bill Gates will never be poor even if Warren's plans would pass into law someday. He knows this; he's just being a twit because he doesn't want to be taxed like the rich used to be, and he's throwing a hissy fit. He's probably so used to not feeling any unexpected pressure in his life at all that he doesn't know how to react, more than actually feeling threatened by a lot more taxation. How dare we target billionaires?! It hurts his pride, which is perverse and sad that he and his billionaire friends feel that way. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's really scared about being poor under Warren's America fully realized, the more I think about it.

I think what's happening is: More and more people in the US who aren't boomers are coming to the realization that the billionaire class is not okay in its current state; people like Bill Gates take notice and start to show their true colors. They are used to the majority of the general population either being indifferent about their status, only mildly upset, otherwise they're embracing/idolizing the idea of their lives or looking the other way because of their status. But the instant someone puts their earnings on blast and wants them to be taxed fairly, they lash out.

Frankly, it just goes to show you how much of a free pass this nation has given the super rich since Reagan. They're so set in their ways. It's abhorrent and it needs to change.

The sobering thing is, even if Warren was elected and we had a Democratic supermajority trifecta, we have a right-leaning Supreme Court that would likely strike down most if not all of her then-enacted laws.

Last edited:

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I respect his honesty. And I respect what he has done as a philanthropist even more.

He has done more good than anyone here criticizing him could ever dream of from behind their keyboard of courage. Spreading his wealth on the lot of you would be a waste.
If I gave 10 dollars to homeless person today I have probably given more as a ratio of my worth to charity then he has ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gates is and always has been kind of full of shit. He's actually worth more now than he was prior to starting his philanthropy, and a lot of his philanthropy involves things like charter schools and testing technologies on third world populations. He's not the 'benevolent billionaire' people think of him as (because such a thing is literally impossible).

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Poor guy. How will he live on only 6 billion with a b dollars. That's like, 6 thousand millions. That's all!

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
We are witnessing the unraveling of one of the great pretensions of our age. All along, we were told that these billionaires really cared about equality and justice above all. Bill Gates was trotted out as the example of choice when others behaved more dubiously.
That anyone ever bought into this bunkum about Gates' supposed altruism is indication enough how this country could have ever elected someone like Donald Trump to the presidency. Led like lambs right to the slaughter.

Last edited:

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dumbass. Just goes to show you in the end these people are just as selfish as the rest. They just want to be seen as heroes more than they actually care about other people

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
People have very warped view of bill gates it looks like. If you read any of his interviews, watch his Ted Talks, or just read up about him, he is not Mr Burns type. He is richest person in the world. But you can see that he is busy with helping the poor through his foundation. His foundation eradicated polio in huge parts of Africa. He is awarding millions of dollars to entrepreneurs to find creative ways to create efficient, less water-dependent toilet systems in the developing world and also finding creative, agile ways of generating electricity. Lot of times, his million dollar ideas are complete waste because someone did not think of x thing. And that's the point. Some of the biggest problems in the world require trial and error, and someone with billions to burn.

I don't want to come off as shilling for the guy. But if I want anyone to be rich, it's Bill Gates and it's mostly for the amount of good he is doing by giving back through innovation.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
If you're shocked, you got swindled.

I mean, we all have to deprogram ourselves from the propaganda and bullshit we are fed since childhood to a certain extent.

But yeah, liberals shocked at this need to get their head in the game.

He literally said he was joking right after the 100 billion taxes, but everyone is cutting that out of of their tweets and images

Imagine being so detached from your actual worth that you joke around with your billions.

Don't know why you think that makes him look any better.

Oct 27, 2017
They're not comparable. There are organizations that vet charities like Charity Navigator. They don't have The Gates of Trump Foundation, because they're private, but you can freely read about the Clinton Foundation
Clinton Foundation: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=16680

If it's so obvious why didn't he just answer the question?
Later on he goes on about how he intentionally tries to stay out of publicly speaking on politics. He brings up lobbying and how he doesn't engage in that even though he might be tempted to. He later talks about accidentally signal boosting people just by vague association (when asked about Epstein)

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really interpret these quotes the same way as the OP. He says he's fine paying more in taxes unless it's at an amount that Warren isn't even proposing and then says professionalisms is most important to him in a candidate. I take the professionalism comment to mean that he would in fact choose Warren but doesn't find her electable (and therefore doesn't want Warren to be the nominee because she wouldn't get elected). He's clearly no Warren fan but I read his quote to mean that he actually would vote for her if it came to it.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what he was saying at all if you look at his complete statement. Pretty clear he was being sarcastic.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, I'm genuinely surprised. Granted I don't follow Gates that much, maybe he's made similar statements in the past. Makes you consider why he spends his money on philanthropic causes. Single-payer health care would alleviate a lot of stress and suffering, but it wouldn't have Gates' name on it.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like he literally talks about how we use to have an upper end 70% taxation rate and says rich people should pay more taxes!

Cool post. Just one thing, though. It's weird how you didn't mention the part where he then proceeds to wring his hands over how much more some people want the disgustingly wealthy to pay, as if losing even 99% of his hoarded ill-gotten wealth would cause any tangible problems for him.

Fuck Bill Gates.

"But his philanthropy!" He stole the wages of his employees and exploited the value they created to horde an amount of money that is too large to properly comprehend, did not pay anything resembling fair taxes on said wealth, and then gave pennies away while reaching around to get tax deductions for his charitable giving and pretending to be some rich savior.

Fuck Bill Gates.

Now he can't conjure the will to say in concrete terms that no matter what he's voting against the fascist-in-training leader of this country. He's so timid about the idea of someone following through on the idea of taxing the rich more that even a pretty milquetoast center-left progressive like Warren is making him sweat, even when the alternative is Trump.

FUCK. BILL. GATES.

Status
Not open for further replies.