• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what's more insulting to my intelligence, that he thinks he would struggle to survive if he lost $100 biliion dollars (which would leave him with "only" $6.8 billion in net worth), or the fact that he think Warren being president would mean he has to pay $100 billion dollars in the first place.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that making him the arbitrary arbiter of how his billions get spent instead of taxing him properly and letting the government assess need is immoral.
That point is incorrect. Bill Gates' judgment is far from "arbitrary", judging both by the rigorous methodology used to spend the money and the results it's less to, and his billions have been better spent by him than would have been spent under almost any administration. It blows my mind that, given the relative records of the US government and Bill Gates himself, that you demand that only the "government assess need".

It's absolutely rational for Bill Gates to fear losing control of his money to a government--despite Warren's best intentions--that will be unlikely to spend it as well as he has. And it's bizarre to blame it on personal selfishness, as you have, considering he long ago pledged voluntarily to give away most or nearly all of it.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I gave 10 dollars to homeless person today I have probably given more as a ratio of my worth to charity then he has ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is so unbelievably ignorant that it should be ban worthy. As someone else already pointed out, your comparison would only work if you were worth roughly $20...

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
This is a classic example of "you will never be good enough" dude has eradicated so many life threatening diseases saving millions of lives, provided education and sanitation in 3rd word country which will literally change many family trees for generations to come.

but some guy on Era posting but what about the other people. Well, he is only one person. he has inspired many rich people to start donating to his foundation. His work and legacy will live on after he is gone. I don't know when he will solve EVERYONE'S problem. But i bet he wish he could.
It's not his fault. He didn't do anything wrong by not solving all of society's problems. He just lives in a society whose government should change to taking more of his money and repairing the nation which his riches were made on the back of.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I respect his honesty. And I respect what he has done as a philanthropist even more.

He has done more good than anyone here criticizing him could ever dream of from behind their keyboard of courage. Spreading his wealth on the lot of you would be a waste.
Yup, he has done more good than pretty much anyone on this forum has individually. He's also done far more bad than anyone has on this forum individually. That's the nature of having obscene, society-restructering amounts of wealth and power.

No one individual should be able to amass as much wealth as Gates has. Even if he only had noble intentions (this is debatable given some of his pet projects), he would still end up doing a lot of damage because it's inevitable that he will eventually make a mistake. That's why no one person should be able to wield that kind of unchecked power.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
User Banned (1 week): hostility, personal insults
Dumbass. Just goes to show you in the end these people are just as selfish as the rest. They just want to be seen as heroes more than they actually care about other people
OP selectively quoted because being a manipulative cunts is in style now. Its amazing how much the left hates Trump, yet are willing to suck his flabby cock when it comes to copying his methods.

ACTUAL quotes: (Bold was left out)

"I've paid over $10 billion in taxes. I've paid more than anyone in taxes. If I had had to pay $20 billion, it's fine. But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I'm starting to do a little math about what I have leftover. Sorry, I'm just kidding."

"Whoever I decide would have the more professional approach, in the current situation, probably is the thing that I will weigh the most. I hope the more professional candidate is an electable candidate."

There is ZERO evidence that he is undecided on voting against Trump. OP and article are full of shit.​

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that. So my take is, instead of giving the money to corrupt government, where only certain % of his money will be used to help other. Why wouldn't he contribute all of it to his foundation where 100% will go to the people in need.
Yeah except Billy gets it wrong some times and his money harms people. The idiot gets it in his head that a quick fix for education reform is filling up classrooms with a laptop for every student and we end up live testing his every hairbrained unproven ideas with the only consequences being lost years of childrens formative education. All because he wants some techbro cool solution instead of funding anti-poverty programs.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know what's more insulting to my intelligence, that he thinks he would struggle to survive if he lost $100 biliion dollars (which would leave him with "only" $6.8 billion in net worth), or the fact that he think Warren being president would mean he has to pay $100 billion dollars in the first place.
He doesn't say that. Stop Trumping.

He LITERALLY said after that quote that he was kidding.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
It's not his fault. He didn't do anything wrong by not solving all of society's problems. He just lives in a society who's government should change to taking more of his money and repairing the nation which his riches were made on the back of.

I mean, he can spend that money on PACs to try and change the system if he is just a victim of his own success in a crumbling country. Citizens united means he can use his fortune and voice to help pressure politcians to make the right calls, and lobby for better social programs and taxation.

But of course he won't do that, because all billionaires are selfish assholes.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
This is so unbelievably ignorant that it should be ban worthy. As someone else already pointed out, your comparison would only work if you were worth roughly $20...

I don't think it really works like that. Gates could give away 99.9% of his wealth and still live such an incredible amazing, lazy, luxurious lifestyle.

If most people would have to give up something like 40% of their wealth, they'd be on food stamps.

Oct 27, 2017
Cool post. Just one thing, though. It's weird how you didn't mention the part where he then proceeds to wring his hands over how much more some people want the disgustingly wealthy to pay, as if losing even 99% of his hoarded ill-gotten wealth would cause any tangible problems for him.
He literally talks about how there use to be a 70% taxation rate and how there are many ways to raise taxes and how he and other rich people should pay more. Not being exactly in favor of Warren's plan doesn't mean he's not in favor of paying more. Some of you are embarrassing yourselves. You've worked yourself up so much you can't even think straight about basic, easily understandable, shit

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you own 20 dollars between your liquid and unliquid wealth you did not.
This is so insanely reductive, the man literally has more wealth now than when he started his philanthropy. He is not 'giving away half his money' in a way that actually leads to him losing any wealth at all.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bill Gates is not the most generous man in the world. He can give away all that money with more than enough to worry about anything ever.

There are people who give away 1/3 of their income to others who need it who may never get to retire. Who is more generous?

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
haha yea wtf? He's pretty much outright saying he's going to vote for anyone but Trump, but he doesn't necessarily think Warren's tax plan is the best idea.
TBH I am skeptical Warrens plan is constitutional. She is my preferred candidate, and while she would probably be able to significantly increase taxes on income, capital gains, etc..... there is no precedent for the government being able to tax existing wealth in the US as far as I know.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, don't you get it? He should vote for what resetera thinks he should vote for. You must be new here.

I know you're trying to play this game where you pretend the whole forum is some oppressive hive mind that rigidly enforces a structure of groupthink and ostracizes anyone who doesn't fall in line (lol if anyone is deluded enough to believe this in good faith), but fuck it. I'll indulge and even reinforce your world view.

No, he shouldn't vote for "whoever he wants to" if that 'whoever' is Trump, because if anyone has a full picture of who Trump is and still decides that he represents them and their values enough to vote for him, they are disgusting and not worth shit morally. Trump is one of the worst human beings on this planet, and there's only a tenuous net stopping him from acting on his worst impulses and being much worse. Those who are actually worse than him tend to be people he fucking idolizes.

This isn't some petty "do you like or dislike pineapple on pizza" shit where all sides are equally valid.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Imagine having to think about how much money you have left. Horrifying.

Don't worry, people think it's cute when obscenely rich people do that schtick, look at people here jumping to clarify it was a joke lol

No, don't you get it? He should vote for what resetera thinks he should vote for. You must be new here.

This is terrible, we need to correct this image at once.

I would like to think the collective Resetera would lean more into outright seizing his wealth rather than being childish enough to think Bill Gates vote means jackshit in a national election.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Ah we haven't seen THIS Bill Gates in years.

He doesn't say that. Stop Trumping.

He LITERALLY said after that quote that he was kidding.
mans shouldnt joke like that.

'ohh i might have to vote Trump if i get taxed 100billion dollares like Warren wants to do hohoho!'

get thee all of the fucks out of here.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I mean, he can spend that money on PACs to try and change the system if he is just a victim of his own success in a crumbling country. Citizens united means he can use his fortune and voice to help pressure politcians to make the right calls, and lobby for better social programs and taxation.

Oh don't get me wrong Gates is scum. I was was inarticulately trying to make the point that philanthropy has nothing to do with what taxes ought be.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Billionaires should not exist. It really is that simple.

Put it into perspective: a million seconds is roughly 11.5 days. A billion seconds is almost 30 years. Now consider that in terms of wealth. It is absolutely ludicrous to suggest any human being should have that much money while the majority of people can't even pay their fucking bills and rent.

Bill Gates's Net Worth is 106 billion. Taxing away 100 billion doesn't really make much sense.

Imagine being gifted $6 billion right now. Not only would you never have to work again in your life, but the majority of your grandchildren also wouldn't have to either. Your life and the lives of those around you would be vastly improved in every aspect, because you now have access to the best healthcare, the best jobs, the best travel options, the best options in general. You could buy anything you possibly wanted. Bill Gates has over ten times that amount.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

Yeah because we should spend more money on TV advertising and less on fighting malaria?

Dollar for dollar, political spending is a shit investment as there is little evidence of its effectiveness.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Like the other thing is his bullshit comment about professionalism is just centrist civility wrapped up in less common terms. It's meaningless and serves no purpose but to protect his own privilege. The context is not exculpatory and just makes him look like as big of a jerk that the edited quote does.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bill Gates is not the most generous man in the world. He can give away all that money with more than enough to worry about anything ever.

There are people who give away 1/3 of their income to others who need it who may never get to retire. Who is more generous?
He doesn't actually 'give money away' in the traditional sense either. Much of his philanthropy is actually a form of investment. That's why he invests in things like charter schools and medical technologies and such, because they give returns on investment. He also exerts an incredible amount of control over the politics of many African nations who depend on his money.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so insanely reductive, the man literally has more wealth now than when he started his philanthropy. He is not 'giving away half his money' in a way that actually leads to him losing any wealth at all.

Wealth have a tendecy to grown.

Like we said he is donated 50% of his wealth and plan to donate up to 99%?

It's more then anyone has done here my guess.
If you want to criticize him on something at least pick something that have standing.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Like the other thing is his bullshit comment about professionalism is just centrist civility wrapped up in less common terms. It's meaningless and serves no purpose but to protect his own privilege. The context is not exculpatory and just makes him look like as big of a jerk that the edited quote does.
*bitch eating crackers*

You decided he is bad. Now everything he says proves he is bad.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that. So my take is, instead of giving the money to corrupt government, where only certain % of his money will be used to help other. Why wouldn't he contribute all of it to his foundation where 100% will go to the people in need.

because genuinely benevolent billionaires are few and far between if they even exist, so laws must be passed to ensure they pay their fair share, which they don't currently because of fiscal evasion, corruption, lobbying, etc.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah because we should spend more money on TV advertising and less on fighting malaria?

Dollar for dollar, political spending is a shit investment as there is little evidence of its effectiveness.
You do realize he spends millions of dollars to do things other than fight malaria, right? Things like pushing for the privatization of US schools and campaigning against unions.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I just LOVE how the quote in the OP about taxation and how he'd start to think about it if it was $100 billion literally cuts off right before he says "Sorry, I'm just kidding". Or how the question about Trump v Warren, while he didn't give an explicit answer he says "I hope the more professional candidate is an electable candidate". Like it's pretty obvious what he means

This.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are Democrats, Gates doesn't like to broadcast politics at all because it is divisive and it interferes with the foundation.

Gates probably hates Trump. He was disturbed by how much he asked about his daughter. The foundation's toilet being manufactured at just $500 per unit was blocked by Trump tariffs and trade war with China.

The animosity towards Gates isn't a good look. He's willing to pay more taxes, he and Buffett have publicly called for it. Gates was trying to deflect about making a political statement but by all means others will try to trash talk a man that is saving millions of lives in poor countries.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He literally talks about how there use to be a 70% taxation rate and how there are many ways to raise taxes and how he and other rich people should pay more. Not being exactly in favor of Warren's plan doesn't mean he's not in favor of paying more. Some of you are embarrassing yourselves. You've worked yourself up so much you can't even think straight about basic, easily understandable, shit

So let's be clear about something: You went through the effort of editing my post to one specific paragraph, and you still didn't bother actually addressing what I said. Bravo. Nothing bad faith in that argument at all.

I literally acknowledged that he said what he said. What YOU refused to acknowledge was the part where he then went into hyperbolics about how much some people want to tax him as if losing even 100 billion dollars (a tax more drastic than anyone has even proposed) would hurt him.

His net worth is 107 billion dollars. He could lose 100 billion tomorrow and nobody in his family would even notice for generations to come. But yes, let's pay lip service to the idea of paying more in taxes and then immediately go "but let's not go too far with it haha" and pretend that's good enough.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think someone has asked him, and he agreed with you.

Oct 27, 2017
Uncool to turn this into a personal attack.

I didn't "selectively quote." I quoted the entire Giridharadas thread (including his screen shots), which cited a source that omitted any "just kidding" remark.
Why do people on here keep doing this? Why post a source when you clearly haven't even watched it? Excusing poorly made threads as "I just quoted the link!" isn't a valid argument

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Uncool to turn this into a personal attack.

I didn't "selectively quote." I quoted the entire Giridharadas thread (including his screen shots), which cited a source that omitted any "just kidding" remark.
...and you didn't fix it when pointed out.

You are presenting a joke as truth. Which IS a cunt move.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is all over the place holy fuck.

Some of you REALLY need to read. And OP stop fucking with us and leaving out shit without the full context.

There's plenty of fruitful discussion that could occur here, but that shit is not helping at all.

Lastly, people really need to understand the basic foundations of taxation in the US.

Your net worth does equate to the amount of cash you just have to give out and spend on hand. It's more complicated than that (and I'm not saying this makes it ok for an individual to amass $1 billion, depending on how it's accumulated).

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Yes, because fighting malaria should not be one billionaire crusade to exculpate him from his disgusting amount of money, it should be a global effort.

And if you think political money only pays for ads and that its useless, I don't think I can educate you on lobbying in the US tonight but you should read up on it.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
OP selectively quoted because being a manipulative cunts is in style now. Its amazing how much the left hates Trump, yet are willing to suck his flabby cock when it comes to copying his methods.

ACTUAL quotes: (Bold was left out)

"I've paid over $10 billion in taxes. I've paid more than anyone in taxes. If I had had to pay $20 billion, it's fine. But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I'm starting to do a little math about what I have leftover. Sorry, I'm just kidding."

"Whoever I decide would have the more professional approach, in the current situation, probably is the thing that I will weigh the most. I hope the more professional candidate is an electable candidate."

There is ZERO evidence that he is undecided on voting against Trump. OP and article are full of shit.
Um, after he said he was joking he then said he is going to weigh who has the most professional approach to basically kissing his megarich ass. He's undecided. I'm not sure why you're trying to say otherwise or calling the OP's post the workings of a "manipulative cunt." There's nothing manipulative about what we are calling Gates out on here.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Um, after he said he was joking he then said he is going to weigh who has the most professional approach to basically kissing his megarich ass. He's undecided. I'm not sure why you're trying to say otherwise or calling the OP's post the workings of a "manipulative cunt." There's nothing manipulative about what we are calling Gates out on here.
Yeah because when someone says they are going to vote for the more professional candidate... they obviously mean that they are considering Trump.

You are seeing what you want to see.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
*bitch eating crackers*

You decided he is bad. Now everything he says proves he is bad.

Professionalism is a bullshit idea based on classiest notions. That said, yes, the existence of billionaires doing anything is a failure of society because there is no reason for ANYONE to be a billionaire. That is simply too much money to hoard in the face of poverty.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why on earth would he waste vast amounts of money for an uncertain political outcome (as other Dem-supporting billionaires have found) and maybe nudge the system to make first-worlders richer when he could do what he's actually doing and put money to where it's most effective worldwide? Could you explain why really any cause in the US that he could materially affect would be more important than literally saving vast numbers of lives of children in much poorer countries?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I never got the love. He promised to give away most of his money... after he dies. So generous. After I die, you guys can fight over what's left, because I don't care... I'm dead.

Ultra rich people invested in capital eg stock, are going to have their money double every 6 to 8 years. He is giving it away but it grows faster than he's spending it. I agree that this level of wealth needs more taxation.

Status
Not open for further replies.