• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the worst "New Rules" segment I've seen in two years of watching his show. It's impossible to defend him on stupid shit like this.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ask yourself:

Why does the phrase "girls will be girls" essentially not exist?
I'll try to answer that but i don't think i will be successful.

Girls have historically always been raised protective and hold back on their development even though they in general have been smarter. You can't do that/this because it's not lady like, you need to act a certain way, you want to climb a tree? no you can't do that because you are a girl, etc and etc. Essentially it boils down to people have always been treating girls like they are some tender flower that if they explore themselves and the world they are going to crumble with every little thing.

That's why i have been letting my niece do whatever the hell she want. If she want to wrestle, lets wrestle. If she want to do something stupid, if in reason and her parents aren't around, i'll let her do it.

hmmm, i don't think i have actually answered it. So i don't know lol.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I voted for Al Franken. Met Al Franken. He lived two blocks from my office and would routinely walk the streets without security.

Al Franken was right to resign. I don't think he is the level of monster many here make him to be, but his resignation demonstrates Democrats are improving on this issue after much worse abusers Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Anhony Weiner, Eliot Spitzer etc etc. have (mostly) left the spotlight.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll try to answer that but i don't think i will be successful.

Girls have historically always been raised protective and hold back on their development even though they in general have been smarter. You can't do that/this because it's not lady like, you need to act a certain way, you want to climb a tree? no you can't do that because you are a girl, etc and etc. Essentially it boils down to people have always been treating girls like they are some tender flower that if they explore themselves and the world they are going to crumble with every little thing.

That's why i have been letting my niece do whatever the hell she want. If she want to wrestle, lets wrestle. If she want to do something stupid, if in reason and her parents aren't around, i'll let her do it.

hmmm, i don't think i have actually answered it. So i don't know lol.
Well you pretty much answered it. The concept is built on the idea that boys and men get to do whatever they want without being held accountable. It's power and it directly carries over into their adult lives.

Girls/women don't get that same excuse.

Basically the phrase is inherently misogynistic.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least he didn't kill him... Right. That's why he's not being tried for murder.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The only thing he's right about is the left's strange ability to handwave Biden's gropey nature. I guess if no one's complained, but you can bet that if he runs for pres in 2020 that's going to be the #1 attack, to make him out to be a pervert to undermine any moral high ground he might have over Trump.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think his main point was that he believes there is a degree of discretion in determining the punishment of certain infractions. There is a difference between a Harvey Weinstien and Franken. I think that is what he is getting at.

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I usually vehemently agree with Maher, not this time. If you're groping women left and right you should not get a second chance at being a politician.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The only thing he's right about is the left's strange ability to handwave Biden's gropey nature. I guess if no one's complained, but you can bet that if he runs for pres in 2020 that's going to be the #1 attack, to make him out to be a pervert to undermine any moral high ground he might have over Trump.

I'm not a fan of Biden outsides of Memes but I really think you should link to some evidence of his "gropey nature" unless you're just saying since he's an old rich white guy he gropes by his very nature?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think his main point was that he believes there is a degree of discretion in determining the punishment of certain infractions. There is a difference between a Harvey Weinstien and Franken. I think that is what he is getting at.
This is some serious pretzel twisting.
Dumbass who thinks women are lying said:
"I believe Al. I think that's still my right as an American to say," Maher told his audience. "Women should be heard always. And we should always keep in mind that vast majority of women reporting serious abuse are truthful. But women didn't also lose the ability to lie in 2017."
So.. His point was "let's believe women unless we like who is being accused, in which case we will call them liars"

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Tbh I haven't really researched the claims against Al Franken but if he assaulted those women then the party is right to blackball him. We can't turn a blind eye to sexual assault just because the other side is worse. If it's just the picture and he has convincingly apologized then sure, I could see the case for redemption. That doesn't sound like it's the case though.

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone should be forgiven given they take the right steps and change the behavior. (barring obviously abhorrent acts)

But I always found something shady about the Franken issue given that Roger Stone tweeted about it the day before the story broke. I don't trust that rat fucker one iota. Same thing happened with Wikileaks too.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is some serious pretzel twisting.

So.. His point was "let's believe women unless we like who is being accused, in which case we will call them liars"

"Are Democrats really going to permanently send away one of our ablest warriors for being a waist grabber?" Maher asked. "He didn't drive her off a bridge and leave her drown. Can we get some perspective? Does every infraction, no matter how small, have to be rehashed for an entire lifetime? That's not politics, that's marriage."
Indeed, serious pretzel twisting...Oh wait. He actually said it. It was part of of what he said. He also (very unfortunately), nonchalantly saying that women could lie. That is NOT something he should be saying unless there was evidence to the contrary.

He is also saying that he believes Al's take. That is his choice. Whether that is a good idea . . . no, it isn't.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not a fan of Biden outsides of Memes but I really think you should link to some evidence of his "gropey nature" unless you're just saying since he's an old rich white guy he gropes by his very nature?

No, I mean there's a metric ton of video/photographic evidence of him being extremely handsy with people and invading their personal space. So far no one's called him out on it, but if he runs, please don't be blindsided by this, it's the lowest of hanging fruit when it comes to the inevitable smear campaign.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Indeed, serious pretzel twisting...Oh wait. He actually said it. It was part of of what he said. He also (very unfortunately), nonchalantly saying that women could lie. That is NOT something he should be saying unless there was evidence to the contrary.

He is also saying that he believes Al's take. That is his choice. Whether that is a good idea . . . no, it isn't.
Pretzel twisting is the fact that you stated his main point is about determining the severity of the punishment for actions. Which is bullshit. It's very clear what his main point is. Quit downplaying it.

jar155

Dec 5, 2017
Bill doesn't understand that this problem doesn't get better unless there's a zero tolerance policy, regardless of how likable the person is. It's never ok. It's never conditional.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The two key points of Maher's defense as I can see are:

1. diminishing the action. He calls Franken a "waist grabber" like he was calling him a "golfer"; like it's some hobby or personality quirk. Of course, in order to do this, you have to distance yourself from the person attached to the waist being grabbed.

2. that Franken is useful, so we should ignore the bad things he does. Essentially, ethics only matter when we're applying them to our opponents, not to ourselves. It's the same defense he's used in his debates over people using racial slurs. It's the same "but I'm fighting racism" defense that Maher was trying to sell to Ice Cube after Maher caught letting one slip while on the air. It's based on a very academic, empathy-less view of the issues being dealt with: it's saying I'm helping you, so shut the fuck up and let me do it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yep... let me see if I can find it...

MEDIA=youtube]H6z9ngWGmnc[/MEDIA]
Dear that was neither funny nor insightful.
For the record this is the guy whom Trump said

And also about the only time he gave proper advice to someone close to Clinton

Like why the fuck should anyone want to have that shitbag ever again?
Next target for Maher is going to be a famous ex Gaf member is my guess.
e: like yeah he was right about Wiener, that shitbag is the reason the Clinton investigation was restarting just before the election.