• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Mediaite:
Maher then gave a full-throated defense of Franken, pointing out his first accuser Leeann Tweeden is friendly with folks like Sean Hannity and Donald Trump Jr. and that the infamous photo Franken took was only a joke and "no one died." He also invoked Franken statement from when he resigned from Congress that he didn't actually admit to any wrongdoing.

"I believe Al. I think that's still my right as an American to say," Maher told his audience. "Women should be heard always. And we should always keep in mind that vast majority of women reporting serious abuse are truthful. But women didn't also lose the ability to lie in 2017."

He noted the seven other accusers who said Franken grabbed them and singled out two of them for "being ridiculous."

"Are Democrats really going to permanently send away one of our ablest warriors for being a waist grabber?" Maher asked. "He didn't drive her off a bridge and leave her drown. Can we get some perspective? Does every infraction, no matter how small, have to be rehashed for an entire lifetime? That's not politics, that's marriage."

Maher added that "being touchy feely" is "part of the job" as a politician.

"Have you ever met Joe Biden? It's like meeting a great dane who smells bacon on your clothes," he joked. "Some guys just aren't good at hugs."
Um, no?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Al hasn't put forth any effort to want us to forgive him so nah...

If Al wants to fight, fight for our respect back. Otherwise go away.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why Al Franken of all people?

He's completely unnecessary to the future of the democratic party and yet, Mahar isn't the first dope to wax lyrical about forgiveness.

Let's replace Franken with someone just as outspokenly progressive but not a pervert maybe?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it is worse than I thought, I expected nothing and he still managed to put his head farther up his ass

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder don't ever bother debating where Maher falls on the political spectrum... it's pointless and just encourages his defenders to start a circular argument

Just argue that he's useless, because he is.

Oct 27, 2017
The Franken stuff probably doesn't deserve life-long banishment from service the public, but at the same time we've already moved on. There are other shining beacons of progressive leadership that have better earned their spot. Give someone else a chance instead of going back to the well.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why Al Franken of all people?

He's completely unnecessary to the future of the democratic party and yet, Mahar isn't the first dope to wax lyrical about forgiveness.

Let's replace Franken with someone just as outspokenly progressive but not a pervert maybe?
I imagine because Franken is a fellow comedian

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
No.

Bill Maher has always belonged to that school of white male douche comedians who can't understand why women/minorities/liberals get so ~~~sensitive~~~ when people make casual jokes that stereotype them and diminish their humanity. No biggie!

No wonder he rushes to defend a while male douche who groped multiple women.

Oct 26, 2017
Al let so many of us down. We need more people in place now who evoke the best of Al and his fearlessness when it comes to challenging other senators and members of congress but without the sexual assaulting part.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Um, he says that being "touchy feels" is part of being a politician. What the fuck are you talking about, Bill?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm awfully surprised hearing this from a guy who repeatedly threw the N-word at a black panelist on his show to explain why it's appropriate that Sarah Silverman gets to say it. I'm surprised that that's the guy who says "it's just a joke" and "no one died".

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maher added that "being touchy feely" is "part of the job" as a politician.

"Have you ever met Joe Biden? It's like meeting a great dane who smells bacon on your clothes," he joked. "Some guys just aren't good at hugs."

nah

also let's not act like biden isn't a creepy ass motherfucker for that

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hell we already did. His replacement in the Senate (Tina Smith) votes exactly the same way he did, has the same committee roles, etc. and the distinct advantage of not being a pervert. Hasn't stopped people in-state from endlessly whining about it.

Only part I agree with is that he shouldn't be banned for life. As long as he's actually sorry and trying to be better.
And that's fair. But he's holed himself up pretty deep since his resignation and I don't think you just wait until a certain amount of time has elapsed to get a pass for bad behavior in the past. He needs to use his position (no, he's not in office but he still commands a fair amount of respect and attention) to promote positive change, not just sit there watching the clock.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Women should be heard"
"He noted the seven other accusers who said Franken grabbed them and singled out two of them for "being ridiculous." "
"Maher added that "being touchy feely" is "part of the job" as a politician."

Yeah, doesn't sound like you're listening there, Bill. And of course, all the mansplaining and stuff following that. 'Cause it's up to him, a man, to determine what's a big deal and what women apparently just need to get over and stop being all "ridiculous" about, 'cause he would know best and not the people that, y'know, actually have to deal with that stuff.

But women should definitely be heard! Because you're definitely listening to 'em, Maher, and it's definitely, positively how you came to those conclusions. Right... Mmhmm...

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Maher

4QFTg5a.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This take is straight out of a trash compactor.

Literally full blown "boys will be boys" with those Biden comments.

Get the fuck out.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Was thinking what he said about Biden being grabby, but what Franken did was worse. Unless pics come out of Biden I guess.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
"Women should be heard"
"He noted the seven other accusers who said Franken grabbed them and singled out two of them for "being ridiculous." "
"Maher added that "being touchy feely" is "part of the job" as a politician."

Yeah, doesn't sound like you're listening there, Bill. And of course, all the mansplaining and stuff following that. 'Cause it's up to him, a man, to determine what's a big deal and what women apparently just need to get over and stop being all "ridiculous" about, 'cause he would know best and not the people that, y'know, actually have to deal with that stuff.

But women should definitely be heard! Because you're definitely listening to 'em, Maher, and it's definitely, positively how you came to those conclusions. Right... Mmhmm...
"Women should be heard, but" is the new "I'm not racist, but"

Was thinking what he said about Biden being grabby, but what Franken did was worse. Unless pics come out of Biden I guess.
Yeah has anyone ever accused Biden of pinching ass? That's different from shoulder grabs and stuff.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
By Maher's logic, Stephen Colbert should run in 2020. He also championed people like Eliot Spitzer and Anthony Weiner. Maher is a creep who holds company with creeps.