• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Lol the sheer cowardliness of folks who only show up when the thread is positive on Maher.

you love Bill only when it's safe to love him.... You're dead silent when he's bringing on toxic people like milo and fawning over him or exlaiming that Palestine is at fault for their own oppression.
Ok this is just bullshit. When it's safe? I don't even know what this means. I've been watching him since Politically Incorrect. He's not perfect by any means and can be wrong like anyone else. I don't like it when he gives time to people like Milo or Ann Coulter, but it's a talk show about politics.

I'm taking your remark personally, lol. I don't usually come into threads about Bill Maher because it's always a dog-pile and it's tiresome. It's like trying to talk about Star Wars here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ok this is just bullshit. When it's safe? I don't even know what this means. I've been watching him since Politically Incorrect. He's not perfect by any means and can be wrong like anyone else. I don't like it when he gives time to people like Milo or Ann Coulter, but it's a talk show about politics.

I'm taking your remark personally, lol. I don't usually come into threads about Bill Maher because it's always a dog-pile and it's tiresome. It's like trying to talk about Star Wars here.

He literally called trans people weirdos.... and wanted to help rehabilitate Milo after the Reganites took him down... it goes beyond "politics"

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except they weren't talking about race but discussing very real issues within a religion, such as LGBT rights. We just had a thread about Palestine and its issues with LGBT people.

Funny how Ben Affleck doesn't get the same criticism for his downplaying of homophobia.
This is extremely disingenuous, they target muslims due to their contempt for them, this religion != race is also garbage deflection as muslims communities are subjected to abuse on the basis of their "muslimness", irrespective of the what they believe or how they believe, its racially inspired hatred in the same way anti-semitism is, its underpinned by animosity towards communities (mostly non-whites) that are linked to Islam.

In the case of Maher & Palestine (like all Islamaphobes) their dismissal or reluctance to recognise of legal rights of Palestinians (the largely muslim population) is simply because they dont see them as equals to the superior Israelis (non muslims), and so any war crimes can be dismissed on the basis they're the good guys, an acceptance that allows for all manor of atrocities to be waived because they're always in the right. We see him do it continuously. We see the far-right anti-muslim groups drape and carry Israeli flags during demonstration and rallies, as like Maher, they're animosity towards Muslims manifests to support of denigration, discrimination and at worst genocide of them. He's exclusionary in his tone when it comes to muslims especially, these are easily recognisable identifiers which is deemed racist, it doest exclusively mean to focus on the colour of people, consistently prejudice behaviour and attitudes are equally as notable.

Last edited:

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
He literally called trans people weirdos.... and wanted to help rehabilitate Milo after the Reganites took him down... it goes beyond "politics"
He called them weirdos? Ok, now he just sounds like my dad (many years ago, he's passed). My dad wasn't trans- or homophobic, he was old and just thought it was weird. I don't know what you mean about rehabilitating Milo. I searched but found nothing but articles about his guest appearance on the show.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
He called them weirdos? Ok, now he just sounds like my dad (many years ago, he's passed). My dad wasn't trans- or homophobic, he was old and just thought it was weird. I don't know what you mean about rehabilitating Milo. I searched but found nothing but articles about his guest appearance on the show.

"I actually want to have him back," Maher told Esquire. "I don't think he would be that hard to bring around to a much more reasonable position."

This was 6 months after he called him the next Hitchens

He had appeared on TV last Friday, where his complaisant interviewer Bill Mahercompared him with a "young, gay, alive Christopher Hitchens …"

Bill Maher is a major public figure he's not your dad who is just old. Calling trans people weirdos while tlaking to fucking Milo is unacceptable.

Oct 26, 2017
Not to sound like a dick but maybe you should read up on the people you're defending.

Last edited:

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
It got a few smiles out of me. Not that funny. I did take pleasure in knowing that Trump will watch that and it will make him furious. I'm down for anyone with a platform to make fun of the orange fuck face if only because it angers Trump. Cant really stand Maher though. Totally punchable face.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Once again, an asshole white male take low hanging potshots at Trump and suddenly "He's the ally we need"

Your dad's transphobic dude.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I still like Maher, he has a few problematic opinions to me but I don't see him how many people here do. I also thought the video was hilarious.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Not to sound too agressive but maybe you should read up on the people you're defending.
I didn't know anything about Harris, not defending him. I don't need to read up any more on Maher, especially after reading through that highly misleading article someone posted earlier. I can form my own opinion from watching his show myself.

Here's the bottom line for me—he occasionally makes bad offensive jokes and I don't always agree with him. I hate some of his guests. But I'm still going to watch. His show doesn't define me as a person in real life (probably will here though).

Oct 26, 2017
Problematic is now officially dead as term if you can reduce Bill Maher's bigotry to just a few problematic opinions
Also few?

Dude is Islamophobic. Has a history of racism, homphobia, transphobia and more. Constantly whines about sjws and free speech. Doesn't believe in germ theory and questions how vaccines work. Gives a platform to known sleaze bags like Harris, Coulter, Peterson, Bari Weiss, and whatever shitty so called "reasonable" Republican he can get on his show.

Dude is an ass. I don't get the defense force.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Bill Maher is a useful asshole in this dark timeline.

The video was amusing. Bill Maher is often amusing. Bill Maher is also Islamophobic and transphobic. But he does seem to argue in favor of their rights in America.

This shit isn't black-and-white.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Here's the bottom line for me—he occasionally makes bad offensive jokes and I don't always agree with him. I hate some of his guests. But I'm still going to watch. His show doesn't define me as a person in real life (probably will here though).

It's true he'll bring controversial people on to be eviscerated by the panel.

Sometimes I feel like he cuts deeper in a good way. He has common goals with many of the people here...

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Once again, an asshole white male take low hanging potshots at Trump and suddenly "He's the ally we need"

Your dad's transphobic dude.
My dad's been dead for years dude. He was old. It wasn't transphobia, he just thought it was weird. Pretty mild for his generation (WWII vet). I mean, fuck I thought it was weird at first and I'm the B in LGBTQ.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very basically Maher telling Trump that he will vote for him if Trump does a 180 on the environment.

You may think the enemy of my enemy is my friend here but at this point we know who Trump is, and that's not going to happen unless it's in desperation to get himself another 4 years...and so on.

So just nah

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know anything about Harris, not defending him. I don't need to read up any more on Maher, especially after reading through that highly misleading article someone posted earlier. I can form my own opinion from watching his show myself.

Of course who you defend and watch will affect how others see you.

It's very basically Maher telling Trump that he will vote for him if Trump does a 180 on the environment.
Of course Bill would throw anyone whose not a straight white male under the bus to make his life easier.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 minutes in and I haven't laughed once... Is it me or does his audience laugh hysterically at nothing. At 4:04, "I know... I know we tangled in the past" ::shows orangutan picture:: and crowd laughs hysterically. I'm sitting here just not getting it.

It wasn't just a picture of an orangutan. It literally had giant text above it that said "trump sues maher for 5 million for orangutan sex joke".

I dont care if you hate maher but I'm sitting here just not knowing if you can read English.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017

He keep giving him advice on how to improve his image and it was all done with a tone of admiration as if he really wanted to like that white nationalist shit stain if he could just tone it down a bit. The problem with reactionaries like Maher is that they'll take any person who espouses some kind of anti-PC/anti-college kids rhetoric under their wing no matter how terrible their beliefs are.

I say all of this as someone who liked him and watched his show.

Also, that bit isn't very funny. It's a common joke that other comedians have done that he ran into the ground. The show's gone down hill b/c they keep adding too many panelists and the need to shoe horn some comedy bit in the middle of the show which kills the discussion.

He's never been a good stand up but I think he's smart guy and can make some really insightful points. Yet we don't need Bill Maher.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My dad's been dead for years dude. He was old. It wasn't transphobia, he just thought it was weird. Pretty mild for his generation (WWII vet). I mean, fuck I thought it was weird at first and I'm the B in LGBTQ.

Just because your old man shown no desire to actively harm transgenders doesn't mean he wasn't transphobic.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely disingenuous, they target muslims due to their contempt for them, this religion != race is also garbage deflection as muslims communities are subjected to abuse on the basis of their "muslimness", irrespective of the what they believe or how they believe, its racially inspired hatred in the same way anti-semitism is, its underpinned by animosity towards communities (mostly non-whites) that are linked to Islam.

In the case of Maher & Palestine (like all Islamaphobes) their dismissal or reluctance to recognise of legal rights of Palestinians (the largely muslim population) is simply because they dont see them as equals to the superior Israelis (non muslims), and so any war crimes can be dismissed on the basis they're the good guys, an acceptance that allows for all manor of atrocities to be waived because they're always in the right. We see him do it continuously. We see the far-right anti-muslim groups drape and carry Israeli flags during demonstration and rallies, as like Maher, they're animosity towards Muslims manifests to support of denigration, discrimination and at worst genocide of them. He's exclusionary in his tone when it comes to muslims especially, these are easily recognisable identifiers which is deemed racist, it doest exclusively mean to focus on the colour of people, behavior and attitudes are equally as notable.

The reality is that not everyone had that perception of that conversation, Sam also is no stranger to criticising Christianity which also had very similar issues before its secularisation, and still has lingering issues. I follow the ex-Muslim community on youtube/podcasts and it seems like he's a well regarded friend to several people in that community.

I'm of the opinion that it's important we allow criticism of man made concepts like religion, especially when it oppresses people for their biological traits like their sexuality. And so far it seems like anyone who tries to venture into that topic is branded as a bigot. Anyway, I don't want to go back and forth on this all night, so let's agree to disagree and move on.

Oct 26, 2017
Here, sure. But that doesn't matter. In real life I've had no conversations about Bill Maher that I can even remember. It's a talk show I like, that's it.
So irl you watching Bill Maher has no effect on how others see you because they don't know you watch Bill Maher?

Also what does NiceMangoes, one of the most outspoken ex-Muslim critic of Islam think of Sam Harris?

And why could that be?

Oh. Could it be because he was giving airtime and defending right-wing grifters like Douglas Murray and Stefan Molyneux?

Why, yes it is.

Last edited:

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): excusing transphobia and islamophobia
He keep giving him advice on how to improve his image and it was all done with a tone of admiration as if he really wanted to like that white nationalist shit stain if he could just tone it down a bit. The problem with reactionaries like Maher is that they'll take any person who espouses some kind of anti-PC/anti-college kids rhetoric under their wing no matter how terrible their beliefs are.

I say all of this as someone who liked him and watched his show.

Also, that bit isn't very funny. It's a common joke that other comedians have done that he ran into the ground. The show's gone down hill b/c they keep adding too many panelists and the need to shoe horn some comedy bit in the middle of the show which kills the discussion.

He's never been a good stand up but I think he's smart guy and can make some really insightful points. Yet we don't need Bill Maher.
I don't get the Milo stuff either, it's not something I can defend. I did find the video funny, though. And I agree he isn't my favorite stand up either but he has been one of my favorite talk show hosts for years.

Insensitive absolutely, transphobic or Islamophobic no.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Just because your old man shown no desire to actively harm transgenders doesn't mean he wasn't transphobic.
Well let's dig him up and beat his corpse then! You're tiresome dude.
So irl you watching Bill Maher has no effect on how others see you because they don't know you watch Bill Maher?
How could it? It's not something that comes up. I have my own opinions, I don't parrot the things he says.
Anyway, I don't want to go back and forth on this all night, so let's agree to disagree and move on.
Agreed!

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
This was damn good.

I still watch his show and really enjoy the panels. He has said some fucked up shit, but Maher also features respectable PoC who don't ever need to be there (RT is not big) yet those guests seem to enjoy it as nobody is there just to simply tow his bullshit ala FOX.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
To repeat myself before I leave: We do need the conversation about Islam and the LGBTQ community. What we don't need is bigots and racists to be the ones having it.

Also more people need to follow Eiynah aka Nice Mangos on Twitter. She was also a guest on the podcast Serious Inquiries Only a couple years ago where she talks about her upbringing and her views on Sam Harris and the new-atheism movement. She also has her own podcast where she had The Serfs on:

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To repeat myself before I leave: We do need the conversation about Islam and the LGBTQ community. What we don't need is bigots and racists to be the ones having it.

Also more people need to follow Eiynah aka Nice Mangos on Twitter. She was also a guest on the podcast Serious Inquiries Only a couple years ago where she talks about her upbringing and her views on Sam Harris and the new-atheism movement. She also has her own podcast where she had The Serfs on:

Thanks, this is interesting and I will look into it. If you think there are any other interesting ex-muslim/critics/podcasts etc, feel free to pm me about it.

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, funny is funny, right? He's said some problematic things, but really funny stuff from an increasingly outdated/bigoted comedian can be worth highlighting.

But the thought that his fans think this particular segment is worthy enough to hold up and highlight is more funny than the segment itself. Says something. Now THAT'S funny, which is what elicited my only chuckle at the end of the video.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's wasting his breath anyway. Can't make appeals to fascists about ecological issues and expect good results.

Fuck Bill Maher

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
He's wasting his breath anyway. Can't make appeals to fascists about ecological issues and expect good results.

Fuck Bill Maher

I don't think Maher is actually serious about voting for Trump because it's hard to see Trump changing his mind.

I'll be honest, the thought that Trump is dumb enough to listen to a late night comedian instead of professional PR and accidentally save the world is dark meta comedy of the highest level.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Good bit. Bills Bill. Been watching him on and off for decades. I don't need someone to be perfect to watch him.