• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 28, 2017
I love Maher, he always makes really good points, esoecially when it comes to religion. But I've stopped watching Real Time about a year ago because of Trump overload, ever since he became US president it's been constantly about him and that is so exhausting.
I even contemplated dropping John Oliver because of the same issue, I'm still watching but...

That's why I won't even comment on the video, I don't have the patience to watch more Trump. It sucks that the US is so important globally that the rest of the world has to worry about that asshole, but at least I can ignore him because I have no influence to do anything about it.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He does at times bring up some good points, take this for example...

He isn't entirely wrong. Some people (especially on ERA) need to keep things into perspective on some issues.

Oct 25, 2017
He does at times bring up some good points, take this for example...

He isn't entirely wrong. Some people (especially on ERA) need to keep things into perspective on some issues.
What's the good point here? He's suggesting that Biden's racist politics, and initial refusal to apologize or even accept accountability, is akin to wearing out-moded clothing. He uses perspectives on race from the 1700s to expand on this point. He claims that Biden "had to get along" with segregationists. He uses Obama and gay marriage as an example, but did Biden turn around several years later, explain his regret for his previous views and then actively push for desegregation?

At its core the takeaway may be partly People can evolve but is perhaps primarily Do you want Joe Biden to be your next president when he's done shit like this and even 40 years later resisted apologizing for it?

The fact that Maher would make a video like that isn't evidence that he makes some good points -- it's just more evidence that he's kind of a bigot and sees everything, including modern politics, through that lens.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
What's the good point here? He's suggesting that Biden's racist politics, and initial refusal to apologize or even accept accountability, is akin to wearing out-moded clothing. He uses perspectives on race from the 1700s to expand on this point. He claims that Biden "had to get along" with segregationists. He uses Obama and gay marriage as an example, but did Biden turn around several years later, explain his regret for his previous views and then actively push for desegregation?

At its core the takeaway may be partly People can evolve but is perhaps primarily Do you want Joe Biden to be your next president when he's done shit like this and even 40 years later resisted apologizing for it?

The fact that Maher would make a video like that isn't evidence that he makes some good points -- it's just more evidence that he's kind of a bigot and sees everything, including modern politics, through that lens.

I do not concur with this assessment. The point was people change, and you shouldn't solely judge someone based on stuff he or she said 40 years ago. Ultimately it's ones current stance on things that matter.
He's also right on point that the current generation isn't "peak humanity" because we're better people than those who grew up in the 1960. We just got the gift of being born later.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I do not concur with this assessment. The point was people change, and you shouldn't solely judge someone based on stuff he or she said 40 years ago. Ultimately it's ones current stance on things that matter.
He's also right on point that the current generation isn't "peak humanity" because we're better people than those who grew up in the 1960. We just got the gift of being born later.
Except that Biden's statements about being wistful for the days of "civility" with segregationists were made NOW, not 40 years ago. And as far as the modern generation not being "peak humanity"? How is this insightful? No one that I can see is claiming that the modern generation is somehow inherently superior than those of the past...modern generations absolutely have the advantage of the collective progress and advancement of social/political awareness and reason that came before them. But here's the thing, Biden exists in this modern timeline with us, yet he refuses to apologize for the statements or actions he made in the past, and in some cases continues to make to this day. To me this is just another case of Maher being Maher, hand-waving away, with excessive amounts of puerile condescension in replacement of wit, any social/political issues he deems not worthy of consideration and blaming it on the "kids today".

Oct 25, 2017
You just ignored all nuance that I introduced and regurgitated Maher's video in summary. Makes for poor conversation, sir, but ah well it's not often that 'anti-PC' folk and Maher supporters somehow come around.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
You just ignored all nuance that I introduced and regurgitated Maher's video in summary. Makes for poor conversation, sir, but ah well it's not often that 'anti-PC' folk and Maher supporters somehow come around.

Just because I do not agree with you is no reason to be offensive by calling me "anti PC." Doesn't result in a good conversation, either, now does it.