• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm sitting here unable to sleep and somehow find myself on Wikipedia looking at the Billboard Hot 100 #1 lists from the 80s and 90s and I notice something that strikes me as odd.

Here's the Hot 100 #1s for 1990. 26 songs hit #1 that year.

Here's the Hot 100 #1s for 1991. 27 songs hit #1 that year.

And here's 1992. Only 13 songs hit #1.

And the number only goes down from there. 11 in '93, 10 in '94, up to 12 in '95, then only 9 in '96 and '97. From there the number starts to fluctuate, bottoming out at 8 in '05 before jumping up to 18 in '06. But that's going a bit beyond the scope of my question. What really bewilders me is the sudden shift in the early 90s from years and years of the #1 song changing almost weekly to only a few songs holding #1 for weeks or even months at a time. Was it a change in the way Billboard calculated things (nothing on Wikipedia seems to suggest this) or was it just a cultural thing? I mean, I was only 8-9 years old back then so while I was aware of music in general, I certainly wasn't paying attention to popular music trends or anything, so I'm kinda scratching my head at the sudden shift. Anyone more knowledgeable than me about this sort of thing want to chime in and shed some light on it?

/insomniathread

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It slowed down when pop and hair metal started to die and got replaced with grunge, went back up again as grunge and "gangster" rap started to become mainstream.

Then in 1998 Napster happened, and it took forever for the industry to capitalize on music over the internet.

(Just guessing though)

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
So I'm sitting here unable to sleep and somehow find myself on Wikipedia looking at the Billboard Hot 100 #1 lists from the 80s and 90s and I notice something that strikes me as odd.

Here's the Hot 100 #1s for 1990. 26 songs hit #1 that year.

Here's the Hot 100 #1s for 1991. 27 songs hit #1 that year.

And here's 1992. Only 13 songs hit #1.

And the number only goes down from there. 11 in '93, 10 in '94, up to 12 in '95, then only 9 in '96 and '97. From there the number starts to fluctuate, bottoming out at 8 in '05 before jumping up to 18 in '06. But that's going a bit beyond the scope of my question. What really bewilders me is the sudden shift in the early 90s from years and years of the #1 song changing almost weekly to only a few songs holding #1 for weeks or even months at a time. Was it a change in the way Billboard calculated things (nothing on Wikipedia seems to suggest this) or was it just a cultural thing? I mean, I was only 8-9 years old back then so while I was aware of music in general, I certainly wasn't paying attention to popular music trends or anything, so I'm kinda scratching my head at the sudden shift. Anyone more knowledgeable than me about this sort of thing want to chime in and shed some light on it?

/insomniathread

End of the Road happened. 13 weeks at #1 and 8 of the 13 songs had 3+ week runs at #1.

You can chalk that up to either A) those 8 songs being that good or B) there wasn't anything else good enough to knock them off.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I always chaulked it up to generational changes, MTV really taking over at the time, things like TRL really overly pushing music videos which kept songs relevant longer