• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a Bond theme with the same energy as You Know My Name. That thing got you excited to watch and was perfect for the new kind of Bond that Craig was.

Bond needs more than softly spoken lyrics. He needs some oomph.

Frankly I can understand thematically wanting to do something more subdued for the final movie as a death / send-off type of thing... I just... don't like it.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty solid actually. I agree with some of the comments asking for more energy, but it's pretty and feels like a Bond theme. Feels like they played it safe generally speaking.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I like it. I don't think it's going to be an earworm like the last two but I like the haunting quality to it.

I wish it didn't have so many goofy Bond-isms though like the trumpets and especially that fucking Bond guitar riff at the end. Kinda undercuts the emotion of the piece when it immediately makes me think of Roger Moore flipping a car over a bridge.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't make it past a few seconds. Does it pick up? It's definitely not my thing from what little I listened to.

People mentioning "You Know My Name" <3

edit: oh wait, the whole thing is just a few seconds? Like a sample? Hmm.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Sam Smith Writings on the Wall is definitely my favorite, but this definitely feels like a Bond theme.

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like Bond Song and although it's not the best of this the current bunch, the bar is incredibly high. "You know my name" is unapproachably great. Skyfall is also fantastic.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay. Better than Sam Smith's but probably comfortably sitting 4th in Craig's tenure.

I really wish they'd rock out ala You Know My Name again. Since that kick in the ass the themes have slid into lethargy.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's a bit bland, but not bad per se

it's no Tomorrow Never Dies

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Love it. Was not expecting that high note. She's got some incredible pipes. But I knew that from listening to more than two or three of her songs before judging her singing.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
From the other thread, with some changes, and after a few more listens (of it and the other songs):

It's not bad, but it just doesn't really do anything....

Reviewing the 'modern' Bond themes (from Bosnan on) I'd place it in the bottom third. Then again, that's more an indication of the general greatness of Bond themes.

A quick ordering of the themes gives me this: (though a few of the spaces could be traded around)

You Know My Name - Chris Cornell
Skyfall - Adele
The World Is Not Enough - Garbage
Another Way To Die - Alicia Keys & Jack White
Tomorrow Never Dies - Sheryl Crow
GoldenEye - Tina Turner
Writing's On The Wall - Sam Smith
No Time to Die - Billie Eilish
Die Another Day - Madonna

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, on repeat listenings I'm just more disappointed. The pieces are there, but the punch is so brief and lacking.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Building up for something like 3 minutes, only to hit some high notes at the very end that don't go anywhere. Extremely disappointing and a bit boring. Going to listen to some You Know My Name and Nobody does it Better to wash that out.

Wish people would stop hiring artists to mumble through songs.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's quite nice but I can't help thinking it's a bit too similar to the previous couple of themes, especially Sam Smith.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It feels like Billie was writing another sad piano song for her record but the label decided that there were already too many so it got shelved, she got the offer for Bond, they told her she had to say "No Time to Die" and include the orchestral flourishes somewhere and she was like "sure thing, give me the 10 mil!"

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the low key vibe, structure and chord progressions it sounds more like Sam Smith's Writing on the Wall than Skyfall to me:

I should have known/I'd leave alone = I've been here before/But always hit the floor

Fool me once/fool me twice = How do I live?/How do I breathe?

i.e. it's in the lower tier of Bond songs

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
It has some awesome weight and drama but it feels like Billie is just being buoyed by the production, as is the case with all her tracks. She doesn't really "go for it".