• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erik Twice

Nov 2, 2017
After a few months of checking the available evidence, Twin Galaxy has ruled that Billy Mitchell did not indeed use original arcade hardware for his records. He has been banned and all his scores removed.

Based on the complete body of evidence presented in this official dispute thread, Twin Galaxies administrative staff has unanimously decided to remove all of Billy Mitchell's' scores as well as ban him from participating in our competitive leaderboards.
We have notified Guinness World Records of our decision.

On 02-02-2018 Twin Galaxies member Jeremey Young ( @xelnia ) filed a dispute claim assertion against the validity of Billy Mitchell's historical and current original arcade Donkey Kong score performances of 1,047,200 (the King of Kong "tape"), 1,050,200 (the Mortgage Brokers score), and 1,062,800 (the Boomers score) on the technical basis of a demonstrated impossibility of original unmodified Donkey Kong arcade hardware to produce specific board transition images shown in the videotaped recordings of those adjudicated performances.

Article at Twin Galaxies

Personally, I'm extremely glad to see the new administration at Twin Galaxies is fulfilling its promise to clean up shop and get rid of the petty corruption that defined previous administrations. I think this will prove to be great for Twin Galaxies and classic arcade gaming as a whole, even if it causes turmoil on the short-term.

Note: Keep in mind that, while he has been proven to be a cheater, the depiction of the events in The King of Kong is inacurrate and ought not to be treated as gospel.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Having watched a video breakdown on him previously (from a YouTuber I unfortunately do not recall the name of as I am terrible with names, but it was a very in-depth video with some good evidence behind it), this is completely justified.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
9f7.jpg

Good riddance.

Edit: I wonder if this means his lawsuit against Apollo Legend is over.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Everything else on their website has been made suspicious to me. Their credibility is shot.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Oh fuck they actually did it. They should update future King of Kong versions with this info. Like just text screen would be cool.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What's amazing is that he's actually legitimately good at retro games, but he couldn't handle that other people had come along that were better and had to cheat. Like 90's era baseball and steroids.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's insane it took this long, that tape he produced on the same night Steve Wiebe broke a million points live should never had been allowed. It also took away from the Steve Wiebe moment and that's something he'll never get back even though he'll now have the first ever million score. Mitchell is a piece of shit.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Several decades late, but at least it eventually happened. Still, this person became a legend, made tons of money by faking things he's never done. That's basically fraud. Oh, and Twin Galaxies is now lacking the slightest amount of credibility. When such a blatant fraud is allowed on their website, with proof of the fact he was boasting literally impossible scores, any other score or record on said website becomes completely unreliable by extension, as any chart could be filled up with "friends" claiming to have done non existent scores. A bad story all around.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that a legit great player has his legacy tarnished because he needed the spotlight over him way after his prime

Oct 28, 2017
I'm amazed he got away with it for so long tbh. Making challengers come down to arcades to get records live (with an audience) while he submits a fucking VHS tape - one which is quite clearly edited I may add - is just nuts.

The cream on the strawberry was when he was caught changing PCB boards... with the exact same PCB board.

Just bizarre. This is the downside of the "win at any cost" mentality people can have, especially those with mountain-sized ego's. What a shame.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't he friends with the Galaxy nerds for like 30 years? The whole thing is crap from day 1.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Im all for removing the scores if they were invalid, but banned from submitting future scores seems a bit much. Is that typical?
I'm not defending Mitchell, that just doesn't seem like its in the best interest of a high score database.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Im all for removing the scores if they were invalid, but banned from submitting future scores seems a bit much. Is that typical?
I'm not defending Mitchell, that just doesn't seem like its in the best interest of a high score database.
The database is worth nothing if there is no integrity of the information on it. As a body managing high scores, Twin Galaxies are a total failure, and legitimate competitors shouldn't ever care about placing on their lists. They turned a blind eye to blatant cheating for decades, and no one can trust any of their other scores at this point.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my. I didn't like they guy before but respected his records. Now I don't even respect him. But I really want to watch the documentaries again.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how any existing Twin Galaxies validated high scores have any credibility left at this point. They should just start the database over and relegate any existing scores that can't be validated today to an archive of unvalidated scores. All scores in the database should have the accompanying video proof available to download or stream.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
The database is worth nothing if there is no integrity of the information on it. As a body managing high scores, Twin Galaxies are a total failure, and legitimate competitors shouldn't ever care about placing on their lists. They turned a blind eye to blatant cheating for decades, and no one can trust any of their other scores at this point.

It seems like the administration is making an attempt to curb that. I just don't know how successful they could ever be if they are unwilling to even review future scores from Mitchell and perhaps others. At some point its not a high score database, just the highest scores from people we are willing to accept scores from.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to Twin Galaxies, now we lost the records of all those videogames from the 80's since they now have 0 credibility.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing I like more in life than seeing someone who cheated getting caught, and then getting sweet justice handed to them. Man that feels sooo good.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane it took this long, that tape he produced on the same night Steve Wiebe broke a million points live should never had been allowed. It also took away from the Steve Wiebe moment and that's something he'll never get back even though he'll now have the first ever million score. Mitchell is a piece of shit.
Wowww that's pathetic. What a douche.